A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

The most depressing name in recent Seattle sports history is probably "Figgins". Man that deal went way south! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    The most depressing name in recent Seattle sports history is probably "Figgins". Man that deal went way south! 

To provide one point of reference, Chone Figgins' four-year, $36 million contract with Seattle cost about one-third less per year than Ryan Dempster's two-year, $26.5 million contract with Boston.

Figgins produced 1.2 WAR* in his first season with the Mariners while Dempster provided 1.3 WAR in his first season with the Red Sox. 

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Well, his best year was 2011 right. I knew he wasn't a 12 WAr player last year. Hill, we can't slip anything by you dude! Hope you got to see some new ballparks last year. You remind me so much of my oldest son, who loves going to sporting events around the country. I give up trying to stump the Swab!

My only new ballpark this year was the Rogers Centre in Toronto. I had planned a first visit to Comerica Park in Detroit where the Mariners were playing, but my plans changed when my daughter decided to visit a college in St. Louis that day with her boyfriend and his father.

I've now seen MLB home games for 22 teams in 28 stadiums (I've seen six teams play in their new and old stadiums, or in the case of Minnesota, two old stadiums). The Rogers Centre was the 30th and final home ballpark for my friend who accompanied me to Toronto.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I keep hearing about how much it would take to get Stanton and I'm not buying it. He's not THAT EXPENSIVE. He's also overrated. Now Mike Trout I could understand! 

I am not buying it either. Stanton did not have a good year by any means. Health remains a big question. Stanton is especially overrated after last year (2013).

RS can't possibly play all of their top prospects.

In a way, Miami has the opposite problem to the RS. With Stanton, they still lost more games this year than last. Miami should be looking to upgrade a few positions by trading their player with potential, while the RS should be looking to acquire a potential impact player by using their farm (many of whom will never play at MLB level). 

Let Miami keep Stanton for another two years. See what it buys them. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

So... my question remains. Do you give up a draft pick for Beltran?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9927566/st-louis-cardinals-extend-qualifying-offer-carlos-beltran

I would, but I'm Ok with finding another OF'er that does not lose us a pick.

I would give up a pick too. Give Beltran 2 years. 

I have a feeling that Beltran will not be on the market for long. He knows that he will get 2 years (maybe an option year?), and he is probably more interested in a ring than anything else. If a perceived contender gives him an offer (and is willing to give up a draft pick), I think that he will accept sooner rather than later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

hill, I'm with you on not wanting to go large and long for Ellsbury, but I know you are a big WAR fan. In 2013, Jacoby's 12.0 WAR translates to a $28.9 value. Even counting his injury years, he has a value of $104M in his last 6 years or $17M a year.

What are other Seattle fans saying?

Mariner fans are clamoring for Jacoby Ellsbury just as they clamored for Josh Hamilton, Prince Fielder and Barry Zito when the latter three were free agents. The absolute top free agents rarely represent good investments because of the costly long-term contracts the elite free agents command.

The 30-year-old Ellsbury might be a good fit for a team that intends to contend in 2014 and thinks the overall investment for immediate returns is worth the likely lost value in the last years of the contract. The Red Sox might be that team.

Ellsbury would look good in a Seattle lineup in 2014 and the year after, but the Mariners might not be close to contending in those years and later would be saddled with Ellsbury's contract as his production enters a likely decline.

Ellsbury this year and Chone Figgins in 2009 entered free agency with six years of MLB service with Ellsbury posting 23.7 WAR* and Figgins 22.0 WAR. Here are Ellsbury's career numbers and Figgins' numbers through the 2009 season:

JE 715 G, 3204 PA, .297/.350/.439/.789, 241 SB, OPS+ 108

CF 936 G, 4075 PA, .291/.363/.388/.751, 280 SB, OPS+ 99

And the numbers for the season preceding the entry of Ellsbury and Figgins into free agency:

JE 2013 134 G, 636 PA, .298/.355/.426/.781, 52 SB, OPS+ 114, wRC+** 113, 5.8 WAR

CF 2009 158 G, 729 PA, .298/.395/.393/.789, 54 SB, OPS+ 110, wRC+ 116, 6.6 WAR

Ellsbury currently is a year and a half younger than Figgins was when the latter entered free agency.

The numbers suggest that Ellsbury and Figgins have/had similar skillsets. The Mariners signed Figgins for four years and $36 million, but Ellsbury certainly is looking for far more than than.

The WAR conversion indeed has Ellsbury valued at $109 million in the six-plus seasons from ages 23 to 30. Will a team gamble that Ellsbury will yield a similar return over the next six seasons as he approaches his 36th birthday? Even so, Ellsbury reportedly is seeking an average annual salary that exceeds his annual yield-to-date of about $18 million.

For those reasons, the Mariners are not a good fit for Ellsbury.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

** Runs per PA scaled where 100 is average; both league and park adjusted; based on wOBA, as reported at FanGraphs

Jacoby's WAR numbers have been greatly devalued due to mssing so much time with injuries. If a team is willing to bet on better health as he ages, then the reward could be a player that gives $25M+ value every year until he raches 34 or 35.

His value on fangraphs is listed at :

2011: $41.1M

2013: $28.9M

That's an average of $35M a year in 2 of his last 3 seasons (the healthy ones).

Like I said, I'm not for going large and long on Jacoby either, but the potential payoff is much higher than Figgins ever promised.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that Beltran will not be on the market for long. He knows that he will get 2 years (maybe an option year?), and he is probably more interested in a ring than anything else. If a perceived contender gives him an offer (and is willing to give up a draft pick), I think that he will accept sooner rather than later.

He rises to the occaison as well.

Short deals are what Ben likes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

He rises to the occaison as well.

Short deals are what Ben likes.

I like Beltran as a player, but I doubt the Sox will have much interest.  There would be concerns about him being able to handle right field at Fenway full time and he obviously won't be able to DH.  Moving Victorino to center with Beltran in right would not only weaken their outfield defense, there would have to be some serious durability concerns as well.  There are just too many teams that would be a much better fit, so I doubt the Sox will in be in the mix for Beltran.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I am not convinced the Sox plan on looking for a corner OF at all.

I would expect a fourth OF capable of handling CF.  But the obvious priorities are C and 1B, especially if both Napoli and Saltalamacchia move on.

And they probably add a reliever at some point.  But then, every team will add a reliever at some point. ..

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I like Rajai Davis as a 4th OF. He's RH and can be about an average CF in Fenway ( big CF area which rewards speedy players ) even though defense has never been his stregth. And I think we might be able to get him in a Jonny Gomes type $5 mil deal for 2 years / 10 mil. The biggest reason I want him though is because he can steal a base at will if you need it. 2nd in the league in steals last year. The ability to take someone off the bench late in the game and sub him in for a stolen base can snag you 3-4 wins a year at the kind of stolen base percentages he can put up.

And if we can snag 3-4 wins out of our 4th OF that is maximizing that roster opportuntiy.

We need a RH reserve OF. Why not get the one who results in more wins for the team? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

With David Price being a free agent after the 2014 season, I think the Rays will trade him.  Imagine "if" Price was traded to a team like Detroit or the Dodgers.  LOL

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Tenshi28. Show Tenshi28's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I would expect a fourth OF capable of handling CF.  But the obvious priorities are C and 1B, especially if both Napoli and Saltalamacchia move on.

And they probably add a reliever at some point.  But then, every team will add a reliever at some point. ..

I agree, I think Vitorino, Nava, Gomes and Bradley is possibly plan A, with perhaps a cheaper backup thrown in.

About 1B, free agent pool is not particularly exciting. Corey Hart perhaps, on a deal similar to what they were willing to give Napoli? Don't think RS will be willing to risk it on Morneau, although he could be a potential steal on a short deal at reasonable value. Lots of people also thought Beltran was done a couple of years ago and look at him now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I agree. They like Shane in RF.

What are you thoughts on Mujica? How much might he cost?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I agree with everything you just said moonbeam! I would think they would try to restructure Lackeys contract unless it was already worded to automatically restructure if he did have the elbow problem. Maybe they anticipated that need. I had high hopes for Peavy but I don't think he is ever going to even approach what he was in San Diego again. I think they would be crazy to want to trade Lackey at this point. He's exactly the kind of short term megastud deal we want. He's even cheap now for God's sake! He is a ton of value. Especially for a team whose objective is towin in the playoffs. 

Realistically ( getting with Moon's program here ) Doubront would be the likely trade candidate if we signed Kuroda. Most teams don't spend the kind of cash Boston does for starters like Dempster. As long as we get a lot of value back for him I'm ok with that and you know what, I think we might be selling high on him even though he is trending up. I like the guy though and am not anxious to trade him. It may well be that by spring training next year we will need all of them.

We probably could get something for Peavy. He may well be worth a pick at the end of his contract but do we want to take a chance on that? Maybe not. Kuroda would slot right in with our starting rotation and make it one of the best in the world. And it would be good for our Asian marketing also.

Did you guys hear how much the bidding fee might go for for Tanaka. Rumors it could be as high as 70 mil just for the opportunity to negotiate with him. Wow!

We have 6 starters right now with Workman ready for a shot, making it 7. Why would we want to add a pitcher like Kuroda? To make things more difficult, and expensive? We have more pressing needs than a 39yo starter who will make north of 15M (20M if you were GM)

If you and Moon are in favor of trading Doubie in favor of Kuroda, you both are off your rocker.

If we got Kuroda as a FA (not a trade), I'd try and deal Dempster and/or Peavy not Doubront. If we did end up trading Doubront, it would be part of a package for a very valuable upgrade at another position, so the overall net impact would be:

Doubront for Kuroda + a very valuable piece that upgrades another position in need.

I'm still on my rocker.

No yer notTongue Out

Southpaw, we just can't agree can we! That's ok. 

To me, we can still upgrade the rotation. If we are one of the top 3 bidders on Tanaka we have a shot of being selected by him as the negotiating organization and maybe we can pick him up for less than some are projecting. I think they have been eyeing Erving Santana for years and might make a run there and I think we should make the Yanks life difficult regarding Kuroda. I absolutely love 1 year deals with proven track record players and Kuroda has pitched 200 innings with a sub 3.5 ERA for the last 4 years in a row. That is John Lackey territory last year and Kuroda has done it 4 years in a row! I want that guy!

Kuroda was worked too hard trying to keep the Yanks in it until year end. They wore him out. He needs some rest but the Redsox probably can do that. Sometimes you have to take a guy out of the rotation for a week or 2 during the season, and the Sox often do that will all their starters.

Once we sign one of these studs ( Johan Santana is also available on a flyer basis as I understand it ), we can then trade one of our existing starters like Peavy, Dempster or Doubront for whatever trade value we can get. I think Doubront in particulur could reap a significant return, like maybe even being part of a deal for a middle of the order bat or a solid but cheap catcher.

I dont disagree with the notion of an upgrade boom. I just dont A) think Kuroda would want to play here, and B) too much money for a 39yo pitcher who looked to be worn down by September. His August and September numbers were terrible and he will be one year older and more expensive than what we have now.

Doubront is a young LHP that can throw 94MPH with strikeout stuff AND under control for 4 years. I just dont see it as an upgrade is all. But like I always say, if it improves the team and makes sense, Im all for it.

I dont think Kuroda improves the team or makes sense.

Personally, I think 2 of the pitchers we had this year will be gone before 2014 is over. Dempster and peavy are the likely ones IMHO. If were going to let Doubie go, it had better upgrade the team and give us a young player in return.

I like Rajai Davis as a 4th OF. He's RH and can be about an average CF in Fenway ( big CF area which rewards speedy players ) even though defense has never been his stregth. And I think we might be able to get him in a Jonny Gomes type $5 mil deal for 2 years / 10 mil. The biggest reason I want him though is because he can steal a base at will if you need it. 2nd in the league in steals last year. The ability to take someone off the bench late in the game and sub him in for a stolen base can snag you 3-4 wins a year at the kind of stolen base percentages he can put up.

And if we can snag 3-4 wins out of our 4th OF that is maximizing that roster opportuntiy.

We need a RH reserve OF. Why not get the one who results in more wins for the team? 

See, we can agree. I like Davis as a 4th OF'er. Good D and can steal some bases. Hes 33 and made 2.5M this year, so hewpould be inexpensive. 3-4M maybe? He can play all OF spots too.

I projected these arb numbers:

$4.5M  Bailey 3 of 3 ($4.1M)

$2.3M  Morales 3 of 3 ($1.49M)

$2.2M  Miller 3 of 3 ($1.48M)

$1.5M  Tazawa 1 of 3 ($0.82M)

$1.5M  Carp 1 of 3 ($0.51M)

mlbtraderumors projected these:

That would add about $2M to my totals, bringing us to about $158M counting the pension contribution. If we are to stay under the luxury limit, we'd be at about $30M to spend on free agents. This assumes we keep everybody.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Hello all. Just got caught up on this thread. Have been in Asheville visiting my daughter and newest grandson, a Red Sox World Series Champion baby!! Congrats to all for one of the greatest seasons in this fans memory. I told you all in Spring Training that they would be good, but never in my wildest dreams did I think they would be this good!!

A few thoughts on what you've all been posting....

I have ZERO interest in Koroda. Our starting pitching is a strength and I will always be in favor of taking what is already working and making it better. But he is not the answer! Limped home on fumes last year, is 39 years old, and will cost a bunch. No thanks. And I absolutely do not want to see anyone replace Doubront in our rotaion. I said last spring training that Doubie could either be a mainstay in our rotation or back in Pawtucket by mid-season. By midseason a case could be made that he was our most reliable pitcher. If we were to take a flyer on someone, I'd see what Santana has left, but only if the price is right. See if he wants to transition to the pen for a championship team.

I really like the Rajah Davis idea. As long as he has been playing against us, and he always seems to play well against us, I thought he would be a great addition. My preference would be to keep Ells if the money is reasonable, which is unlikely, but a Davis, Gomes, Nava, Victorino and Bradley combo would work well for me. I imagine that if we resign Napoli that Nava could see some time (30 games or so) at first. Carp might do better elsewhere, both financially and in terms of playing time and value to another team.

I posted long ago in the 2013 realistic thread that I could see a scenario in which our infield rotation of Bogey, Middlebrooks, Drew, Napoli could return with each player, of the four, getting about 450-500 at bats splitting 3b, ss, and 1b, with only Pedey at 2b getting 650 plate appearances. Not sure if something like that could work, but Drew demonstrated the importance of stellar defense from the ss position. As bad as his bat was in the playoffs, his overall season put him amongst the elite shortstops. Hopefully that doesn't price him out of our range. Middlebrooks could still end up being an odd man out and being dealt; he's not as young as his service time indicates.

I still think Salty will be back for a 3/24-3/30 type deal. Lavarnway is trading fodder and Ross is locked in for next year. Vasquez is ready in 2015, and could even help next year as a September call-up. I know Swihart was the more highly regarded draft pick, but Vasquez is the real deal. Salty had a poor playoffs but was very instrumental in this team's success throughout the year. I think he likes it here and the staff likes him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Comment request for Moon:

Arbitration Eligibles: Boston Red Sox

By Tim Dierkes

"Assuming the Red Sox tender contracts to Miller, Morales, Carp, and Tazawa, they're looking at an estimated $6.1MM for four arbitration eligible players."

If he's about right, how does this compare to your arb estimates / leave us lux cap wise?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jacoby's WAR numbers have been greatly devalued due to mssing so much time with injuries. If a team is willing to bet on better health as he ages, then the reward could be a player that gives $25M+ value every year until he raches 34 or 35.

That's an average of $35M a year in 2 of his last 3 seasons (the healthy ones)

Like I said, I'm not for going large and long on Jacoby either, but the potential payoff is much higher than Figgins ever promised.

The potential risks are much higher as well because in investment terms Jacoby Ellsbury represents a volatile stock* while Chone Figgins presented as a relatively stable and safe bond. Unfortunately for the Mariners, Figgins wound up a Detroit municipal bond

* as evidenced by Ellsbury's wildly fluctuating yearly WAR of 1.3, 4.1, 2.1, -0.2, 9.1, 1.4 and 5.8.

I could see a scenario in which our infield rotation of Bogey, Middlebrooks, Drew, Napoli could return with each player, of the four, getting about 450-500 at bats splitting 3b, ss, and 1b, with only Pedey at 2b getting 650 plate appearances. Not sure if something like that could work, but Drew demonstrated the importance of stellar defense from the ss position. 

Drew plays SS vs RH's starters  110 games

Bogey plays SS vs LHPs 50 games and 3B vs 2/3 games vs RH'd starters 75 games (125 total)

Middy plays 3B vs the others (85 games) and maybe 25 at 1B (110 total)

Napoli plays 125 at 1B

Could work, and if anyone gets injured, including Papi, we have players that can go everyday.

In response to lasitter's comment:

Comment request for Moon:

Arbitration Eligibles: Boston Red Sox

By Tim Dierkes

"Assuming the Red Sox tender contracts to Miller, Morales, Carp, and Tazawa, they're looking at an estimated $6.1MM for four arbitration eligible players."

If he's about right, how does this compare to your arb estimates / leave us lux cap wise?

Counting the pension payment, I have us at about $158M, leaving us about $30M to spend and stay under the limit.

In response to hill55's comment:

That's an average of $35M a year in 2 of his last 3 seasons (the healthy ones)

The potential risks are much higher as well because in investment terms Jacoby Ellsbury represents a volatile stock* while Chone Figgins presented as a relatively stable and safe bond. Unfortunately for the Mariners, Figgins wound up a Detroit municipal bond

* as evidenced by Ellsbury's wildly fluctuating yearly WAR of 1.3, 4.1, 2.1, -0.2, 9.1, 1.4 and 5.8.

Figgins never came close to Jacoby's 2011 season. Yes, he played every season, but he was far from consistent in his performance.

.749, .712, .825, .685 and .789 up to the singing.

WAR: 2.7, 3.9, 1.2, 3.4, 2.3, and 7.7

He had the fortune to have his best season during his "contract" year (Seattle's misfortune).

It's all about how you count Ellsbury's injury seasons (or don't count them).

No injury years:

WAR: 3.0, 2.7, 8.1, 6.7

With injury:

3.0, 2.7, -0.1, 8.1, 1.0, 6.7

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

mlbtraderumors projected these:

That would add about $2M to my totals, bringing us to about $158M counting the pension contribution. If we are to stay under the luxury limit, we'd be at about $30M to spend on free agents. This assumes we keep everybody.

The same report suggested that the Sox might non-tender Bailey, which would free up a few million for bullpen help, or other good and useful purposes ...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Great posts you guys...VERY interesting stuff!

I'd like to know what happened to my man Breslow.  I mean the guy had a great year but just tanked post-season.  I'm hoping it was just fatigue and not total arm burn-out.

I think it would be reasonable to think that Koji will not have another year like he just did.  Do I hope he does? Absolutely, but it's hard to imagine him being as effective as he was.  It kind of reminds me of Okajima.  He was great for a year or so and then tailed off.  The same can be said for Faulk.  After his tremendous year in 2004, he slid downhill.

I'm NOT trying to be a total pessimist here, but how do you replicate the year they had?

I don't think we should abandon Bailey.  I know he's had physical issues in the past, but he does have great stuff and has had a year to rest.  Also, I've seen him numerous times in the dugout etc., and he seems to be a very team oriented individual.  I wish I could say the same for Buch.  The guy just seems like a total psychological head-case to me.  After seeing Schilling giving it all with the bloody sock etc. and to see Lackey pitch a whole year with total pain, it's pretty tough for me to sympathize with Buchholz.  Hey, maybe there are issues going on physically and I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think the majority of his issues are in his head and not his shoulder/arm.

In the meantime, I'm still TOTALLY EUPHORIC about the whole season.  The only word I can think of is magic.  My wife and I have watched the last game about four times now.  I don't think I'll ever delete it.

Thank you Sox and company for a great season.

• Sections
    Shortcuts