Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jonny gomes is a career .244 hitter who cannot field very well either. He has some pop in his bat but there is no indication that it is much more than the ability to hit mistake pitches out of the park. Is that our starting Left Fielder? Apparently Farrrell thinks it is.

Gomes is a lefty masher with a career .879 OPS.  That was one of the main reasons he was signed.

Where are you getting that Farrell sees him as an everyday outfielder?  He shared left field with Nava.  He played more left field than planned because Nava had to cover for Victorino in right in a lot of games.

The Nava/Gomes combo in left worked great this year.

Just because Gomes played more than his share in the postseason doesn't mean his role will be different next year. 

[/QUOTE]

Surprised you didn't take him down on "but there is no indication that it is much more than the ability to hit mistake pitches out of the park".

Truth be known those are usually the only pitches that clear the outfield fences.

[/QUOTE]

Farrell played Gomes at the most important time of the year against 6 or 7 RH pitchers in a row. That makes him the current starter as far as I can see. And the numbers indicate that was a pretty stupid decision.

But he sure looks good in a combat helmet and has a great PR presence so what the heck...let's play him on our team. Cool

To me, Gomes should be a RH hitting 5th OF. That's it. No more. Occasional PH duties and start against LH pitching. Which should be 200 AB a year at most. We need someone better as our starter in LF.

[/QUOTE]

We have Nava, but our Manager of the Year favorite decided to play Gomes against your wishes.   Should I value your insight about Gomes over Farrell's?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Red Sox trade Franklin Morales to the Padres for Nick Hundley.  It is odd to realize this, but Morales is only a year older than Doubront and less than a year older than Tazawa.  He has little starting experience and reportedly strong starting desire.  He hits the “low cost” mold of SP the Padres seem to like, and they have no problem converting RP to SP.  (See Cashner, Andrew.)   Nick Hundley is owed $4mill next year, which is very likely out the Padres’ price range for a backup catcher.  Hundley is not much offensively, but a very good defensive catcher.

The Red Sox trade Mike Carp to the Twins for RHRP Casey Fien.  Fien would be the winner of the "Best Relief Pitcher You Never Heard of and Assumed He Would Get Lit Up When He Came in, But Before You Realized It, Was Mowing Down Your Favorite Team for 2 Straight Innings With Military Precision" Award, assuming that ever becomes a category at the ESPYs.   Fien is a little old for his experience but over the last 2 years has been one of the best relievers in the AL, with a 1.00 WHIP and 5.00 K/BB over 97 IP with the Twins.  With only younger, untried/unsuccessful internal 1B options, a player like Carp represents a low cost, worst case scenario for the Twins, who might very well prefer Carp over the more expensive free agent options.  As good as Carp as in Boston, if the team needs a capable backup CF, he might be squeezed off the bench.

Trade Ryan Lavarnway to Miami for Justin Ruggiano.  I am still on my Ruggiano kick.  The UAPM had him pegged for 23HRs and that surprirsed me  as to how low it was, until I realized I had the dial set at 450PA and not 600PA.  Again, Ruggiano would not be a guy I wanted to get that many PA, but would be a terrific 4th outfielder to have.  Lavarnway might be a steep price if he "Brossums"  (Brandon + Moss + Blossums), but more than likely he continues his AAAA trend and hasa low ceiling if he pans out at all.  But he is a cheap upgrade for the Marlins, and they seem to like cheap...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Notin, great post. Well thought out, not shooting for the moon and realistic. I believe Carp would do better both finacially and in terms of playing time, with another team. Morales has some serious upside, would thrive in a huge NL park, and is totally expendable. Ditto Lavarnway who has never lived up to the hype and will be superceded by Vasquez and Swihart by next spring. The three players you reccommend bringing in are all complementary pieces although Hundley would become the 90-100 game backstop. I like Salty and hate to lose the strong relationship he has with the current staff but he will not be able to hold off Vasquez for very long in my opinion. Don't know much about Ruggiano, but he'd be a fourth or fifth outfielder anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon or anybody who is BDC savvy. I put Softy on ignore quite a while ago but he has so many new permutations that I couldn't keep up with them all. But just today he seems to have come up with two or three more, which I only see in the "reply" mode, but I have a number of "this post has been removed" posts showing up on this thread today. Is BDC able to delete posts to me from him even though he has changed his screen-name numerous times? It's all the same drivel, at least that which I was able to see in posts of people who replied to him. He's the main reason I drifted away from BDC in the first place. Apparently the championship euphoria is gone after a week and a half and it's time to return to spew more player attacks and misery.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Jonny gomes is a career .244 hitter who cannot field very well either. He has some pop in his bat but there is no indication that it is much more than the ability to hit mistake pitches out of the park. Is that our starting Left Fielder? Apparently Farrrell thinks it is.

Gomes is a lefty masher with a career .879 OPS.  That was one of the main reasons he was signed.

Where are you getting that Farrell sees him as an everyday outfielder?  He shared left field with Nava.  He played more left field than planned because Nava had to cover for Victorino in right in a lot of games.

Just because Gomes played more than his share in the postseason doesn't mean his role will be different next year. 

[/QUOTE]

Surprised you didn't take him down on "but there is no indication that it is much more than the ability to hit mistake pitches out of the park".

Truth be known those are usually the only pitches that clear the outfield fences.

[/QUOTE]

Farrell played Gomes at the most important time of the year against 6 or 7 RH pitchers in a row. That makes him the current starter as far as I can see. And the numbers indicate that was a pretty stupid decision.

But he sure looks good in a combat helmet and has a great PR presence so what the heck...let's play him on our team. Cool

To me, Gomes should be a RH hitting 5th OF. That's it. No more. Occasional PH duties and start against LH pitching. Which should be 200 AB a year at most. We need someone better as our starter in LF.

[/QUOTE]

We have Nava, but our Manager of the Year favorite decided to play Gomes against your wishes.   Should I value your insight about Gomes over Farrell's?

[/QUOTE]

For once, will any of you actually look at the numbers? And the results. And get off my back about it. There was not a shred of empirical data to indicate Gomes was a better choice than Nava against that string of RH pitching in Detroit and St. Louis and the results stunk also. The guy had over 50 Post season AB in his career and didn't even approach a .200 BA with one freaking HR total and supposedly he was a solid choice by our "Manager of the Year". I support Farrell generally but that was a horrible decision.

You are intelligent enough to know that Notin.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

The Red Sox trade Franklin Morales to the Padres for Nick Hundley.  It is odd to realize this, but Morales is only a year older than Doubront and less than a year older than Tazawa.  He has little starting experience and reportedly strong starting desire.  He hits the “low cost” mold of SP the Padres seem to like, and they have no problem converting RP to SP.  (See Cashner, Andrew.)   Nick Hundley is owed $4mill next year, which is very likely out the Padres’ price range for a backup catcher.  Hundley is not much offensively, but a very good defensive catcher.

The Red Sox trade Mike Carp to the Twins for RHRP Casey Fien.  Fien would be the winner of the "Best Relief Pitcher You Never Heard of and Assumed He Would Get Lit Up When He Came in, But Before You Realized It, Was Mowing Down Your Favorite Team for 2 Straight Innings With Military Precision" Award, assuming that ever becomes a category at the ESPYs.   Fien is a little old for his experience but over the last 2 years has been one of the best relievers in the AL, with a 1.00 WHIP and 5.00 K/BB over 97 IP with the Twins.  With only younger, untried/unsuccessful internal 1B options, a player like Carp represents a low cost, worst case scenario for the Twins, who might very well prefer Carp over the more expensive free agent options.  As good as Carp as in Boston, if the team needs a capable backup CF, he might be squeezed off the bench.

Trade Ryan Lavarnway to Miami for Justin Ruggiano.  I am still on my Ruggiano kick.  The UAPM had him pegged for 23HRs and that surprirsed me  as to how low it was, until I realized I had the dial set at 450PA and not 600PA.  Again, Ruggiano would not be a guy I wanted to get that many PA, but would be a terrific 4th outfielder to have.  Lavarnway might be a steep price if he "Brossums"  (Brandon + Moss + Blossums), but more than likely he continues his AAAA trend and hasa low ceiling if he pans out at all.  But he is a cheap upgrade for the Marlins, and they seem to like cheap...

[/QUOTE]

I like this plan.

The one I like the most is the Carp deal- the least is the Morales deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Johnny Gomes career BA against RH pitching:

2013: .258

2012: .209

2011: .167

2010: .257

2009: .244

2008: .182

2007: .218

2006: .187

Gomes hasn't hit above .258 against RH pitching for the last 8 years in a row. Our starting LF ladies and gentlemen. Career .143 hitter in 55 post season AB. And Farrell picked him over the guy who is a similar fielder who hit .322 this year in 339 AB against RH pitching. 64 points lower BA and Farrell picked Gomes, and this was Gome's best year in the last 8 against RH pitching to get to the .258 BA level. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We won the World Series in spite of the Jonny Gomes decision.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Johnny Gomes career BA against RH pitching:

2013: .258

2012: .209

2011: .167

2010: .257

2009: .244

2008: .182

2007: .218

2006: .187

Gomes hasn't hit above .258 against RH pitching for the last 8 years in a row. Our starting LF ladies and gentlemen. Career .143 hitter in 55 post season AB. And Farrell picked him over the guy who is a similar fielder who hit .322 this year in 339 AB against RH pitching. 64 points lower BA and Farrell picked Gomes, and this was Gome's best year in the last 8 against RH pitching to get to the .258 BA level. 

[/QUOTE]

Here's something even more astounding:

Out of 325 MLB players with over 170 PAs vs RHPs, Nava placed 8th in OBP at .411, 19th in wOBA at .392 and  24th in OPS at .894.

In contrast, Gomes tied for #142 at .745... just barely above average.

Out of 197 MLB players with 300+ PAs, Nava placed 15th in OPS.

Larger sample size?

Here are some OPS numbers vs RHPs from 2011 to 2013:

356 MLB players with 400+ PAs.

2) Ortiz 1.020

9) B Moss .933

15) Napoli .898

16) Beltre .895

20) AGon  .889

25) Ellsb   .878

27) C Beltran .868

29) Stanton  .863

30) Nava      .860   (TOP 10%)

32) Goldschmidt .857

36) Kemp  .850

47) VMart  .837

60) C Hart .820

65) Salty  .813

70) J Upton .808

81) McCann .801

107) Drew  .779

114) Craw  .774

151) Trumbo .752

191) Victorino .722

200) Middy   .716

225) Gomes  .696 (Bottom 35%)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

And the numbers are even more skewed against RH pitching, by far. It's not even remotely close. 

I trust the numbers when the sample size is significant and the discrepancy is that acute. I also think Nava is tougher than he looks. Imagine the pressure he was under all those years trying to make it. He can deal with pressure.

Personally I think Nava blew a sign and took off for 2nd base once and go thrown out in the division series, making Farrell look bad potentially. Maybe that sort of thing happened more than once and he was in the doghouse ever since. When Gomes was first being proposed as a better option in the playoffs it was just after that play and Farrell cited Gomes's intelligence. I can't explain it by conventional means. I don't think Farrell is stupid. I think it's some reason like that but I don't know what it is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

And the numbers are even more skewed against RH pitching, by far. It's not even remotely close. 

I trust the numbers when the sample size is significant and the discrepancy is that acute. I also think Nava is tougher than he looks. Imagine the pressure he was under all those years trying to make it. He can deal with pressure.

Personally I think Nava blew a sign and took off for 2nd base once and go thrown out in the division series, making Farrell look bad potentially. Maybe that sort of thing happened more than once and he was in the doghouse ever since. When Gomes was first being proposed as a better option in the playoffs it was just after that play and Farrell cited Gomes's intelligence. I can't explain it by conventional means. I don't think Farrell is stupid. I think it's some reason like that but I don't know what it is.

[/QUOTE]

My numbers are against RHPs only.

I get the "he [Gomes] brings energy to the clubhouse" argument, but he can do that from the dugout and clubhouse, as a PH'er,  and vs LHPs- but not vs righties!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a list vs LHPs from 2010-2013 (282 players w/ 300+ PAs)

8) C Hart .969

9) Youk   .968

21) Vict .923

24) C Ross .912

25) Napoli .908

27) Pedey .907

36) Ruggiano .891 (notin's man)

48) Gomes  .874 (TOP 25%)

178) Ells  .712

224) Drew .666

244) Choo  .638

246) Craw  .636

* 249) Nava .634 (*270 PAs)

258) Morneau .614

261) Salty     .610

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, thanks for fleshing out that trade.  I 'm not sure if I really want the Panda, he's a free swinger, but I think Papi and others here might keep him more focused along with RS Nation.  Now I'd be more interested in one of those young outfielders...

I'm not an apologist for Gomes, I didn't get him either, but after watching him all summer I do get him now.  I grimaced too, thinking Nava should have been playing more.  But he did hit that homer, he did take ordinary catches and make them look spectacular, he did some nice base running and has the rep of being one of the best on the team for that, he does turn on his team mates, and his coach said at one point something like this when asked why Nava wasn't playing:

"Well every time I 've started him, we've won, so I'm going with him."  About why he was starting Ross.  And he was right--we did win with him.  Maybe we would have won with Nava too but Farrell went with his gut.  I don't think he's got an anti Nava or Salty thing and he goes with stats most of the time, more than Tito right?  He always went with the vets regardless didn't he?  Once again I think Gomes has "something" that can't quite be explained; multiple times this summer I saw him make 3/4 outs then come up in the 9th and hit a walk off homer or drive in the winning run.  When Papi made his speech and we needed someone to step up other than Papi or Pedey who did?  That 's how I'd explain it.  You can't explain it with numbers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I think we can win next year.  The whole last part of the summer we played with no. 1 pitcher in a complete funk and no. 2 out, getting big wins from Dempster, Doobie, and Wright--then Peavey.  our depth saved us in pitching and in the field.  We didn't get lost like teams do when they lose their "stars".  I don't think these coaches or players are going to have a hangover.  All of our young pitchers might be better next year for their playoff experience.  I do worry about Papi running the bases.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

To me some guys look the part and get the promotion, get the girl, get playing time...etc when they don't deserve it. It bugs me. I felt bad for Nava, who got overlooked AGAIN. When it has happened to him over and over in his life. By now one would think he has proven himself. But alas, that is still not the case.

I have nothing against Gomes personally. He seems likeable and team oriented...etc. Wants to win. Tries hard to maximize his talents. Showboats some but not as much as Victorino. It's entertainment. That's why they call it "the Show".

But I will go to my grave thinking Nava got shafted again. And I'm not happy about it one bit. Guys like Nava deserve better. I've got his back. For what little it represents.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

To me some guys look the part and get the promotion, get the girl, get playing time...etc when they don't deserve it. It bugs me. I felt bad for Nava, who got overlooked AGAIN. When it has happened to him over and over in his life. By now one would think he has proven himself. But alas, that is still not the case.

I have nothing against Gomes personally. He seems likeable and team oriented...etc. Wants to win. Tries hard to maximize his talents. Showboats some but not as much as Victorino. It's entertainment. That's why they call it "the Show".

But I will go to my grave thinking Nava got shafted again. And I'm not happy about it one bit. Guys like Nava deserve better. I've got his back. For what little it represents.

[/QUOTE]

You have to let it go.

Nava did get opportunities.  He had 28 PA's in the postseason.  He did poorly.

200/286/240.  Only 1 extra base hit.

Gomes didn't do much better, I realize that.

I think what Farrell was thinking was that Gomes was a better presence in the 5 or 6 spot than Nava because of his ability to hit one out.  And he did come up with the big 3-run jack at a crucial time (in a game he only got to start because Victorino couldn't go.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, you're wearing me out! I get that you want Koroda and you think Nava was overlooked. Somehow we managed to win the world-freaking-series without either player in a significant role. Time to enjoy the success and lighten up on your ranting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Gomes playing over Nava was an intangibles thing. Ross playing had to do with the fact Salty was not hitting at all, and Ross is a far superior defender. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gomes playing over Nava was an intangibles thing. Ross playing had to do with the fact Salty was not hitting at all, and Ross is a far superior defender. 

[/QUOTE]

I think it had more to do with the two throws than not hitting.

Salty got a huge hit in the playoffs...same as Gomes. Just one.

One stayed in- the other was benched.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gomes actually had 3 big hits.  Besides the 3 run homer:

-He had the leadoff single that led to Salty driving him in for the winning run in ALCS Game 2.

-He had a leadoff double off Scherzer before Victorino's grand slam in ALCS Game 6.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For once, will any of you actually look at the numbers? And the results. And get off my back about it. There was not a shred of empirical data to indicate Gomes was a better choice than Nava against that string of RH pitching in Detroit and St. Louis and the results stunk also. The guy had over 50 Post season AB in his career and didn't even approach a .200 BA with one freaking HR total and supposedly he was a solid choice by our "Manager of the Year". I support Farrell generally but that was a horrible decision.

[/QUOTE]

you realize theres a human element to baseball to right? One that cant be measured in stats. He went with the group that was winning and producing. He didnt fix what was not broke. Eventually Nava got his due,. It certainly didnt hurt the team, did it?

By my stats, they both didnt fair very well at the plate, but Gomes got some important hits.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Interesting:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/latest-on-tim-hudson.html

• Despite already having six starters for five spots, the  Red Sox "really want" Hudson, a person familiar with the team's thinking told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports . Heyman adds that the  Braves still value Hudson as a veteran in a surprisingly young clubhouse.
    • Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports tweets that the interest is mutual between Hudson and the  Red Sox . Hudson is close with catcher David Ross and wants to win a World Series ring before he retires, Passan adds.
    • Executives have told Passan that Hudson could command as much as a two-year, $24MM contract on the free agent market ( Twitter link ). Hudson is benefiting from not being tied to draft pick compensation, but a deal of that size would still shatter most pundits' expectations.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

RSP, you are looking way too deep in to things.  Really, the bottom line is, you are being overly critical of a strategy that worked.

I like Nava, and I like the Nava-Gomes platoon.  This is a step for me after being overly critical of the platoon idea myself.  (I am not a fan of platoons in general, although there is a clear logic behind their usage.)  Gomes played a role greater than weak side platoon hitter more so due to injuries than to Farrell’s belief he is an everyday player.   He clearly has faith in Nava as well.

Gomes did get more post-season starts than anticipated, but there is no argument he made his few hits count.  I think this was more so due to team-wide non-Papi offensive struggles.  Nava’s skillset at the plate is geared towards getting on base, but this ability was somewhat compromised because no one behind him was capitalizing.  I mean, it wasn’t until Game 4 of the ALCS before the Sox got a hit in the first 4 innings.  That is a struggling offense.  Of the two, Gomes is far more likely to generate an instant run based on power alone.  To me, this was the entire reason Gomes why saw more starts in LF than Nava.  I think the whole “Lucky Charm” aspect of it might have been a bit overplayed in the media, although at some point it may have had more truth than I suspected. After all, baseball players are notoriously superstitious, and Farrell is a former ballplayer.

But that is the thing about superstitions; they are only superstitions when they don’t work...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Did any of you purchase INsider on ESPN?  Some of their baseball articles are only for paid subscribers.  

I wonder what's "so special" about the paid articles.   LOL  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gomes actually had 3 big hits.  Besides the 3 run homer:

-He had the leadoff single that led to Salty driving him in for the winning run in ALCS Game 2.

-He had a leadoff double off Scherzer before Victorino's grand slam in ALCS Game 6.

[/QUOTE]

Nava had the big hit to break up the no-no, and the game was still in doubt at the time. Because nobody knocked him in, it didn't count, I guess.

Sections
Shortcuts