Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I
posted at 11/10/2013 6:29 PM EST
Moon, have you yet formulated your off season druthers? Sounds to me like you don't think we need pitching or high priced free agents...I guess we're all waiting to see how we do with our free agents...
I'd love to see us add 3 draft picks, not have to sign any QO free agenst and still end up with a team in the running for a 2014 ring. That is not going to be easy, and I realize we probably will have to sign 1 QO free agent, or keep 1 or 2 of our own guys and lose the draft picks we could have gained by letting them walk.
Going off the $32M number to spend and stay below the luxury limit, which I am assuming we will do, I will outline my winter suggestions of which I reserve the right to adjust as more and more information becomes avaialble.
1) Restructure Lackey's deal to $8.5M x 2. He makes $1M more spread over 2 seasons, and we save about $8M on the luxury budget. (Now at $40M to spend.)
2) I'd look to trade Peavy ($14.5M) and Middlebrooks for Andre Ethier ($17M through 2017) plus have LA negate the $3.9M for 2014 and 2015 we owe them. Net luxury budget cost about zero. (Still at about $40M to spend). I'm not a big Ethier fan due to his poor splits vs LHPs (.644) and on the road (.789), but he would help keep Victorino in RF where he belongs and allow JBJ more time to grow or be traded.
3) Sign Salty to $24M/2 or maybe $30M/3 or $33M/3, but I'd try to avoid 4 years, since we have so many young and promising catching prospects. This may not be enough, but let's assume he takes $24M/2. That leaves us with $28M to spend.
4) Sign Napoli to $28M/2 with PA incentive that could bring him to $30M/2. 3rd year club option at $13M with $2M in PAs incentives and a $2M buyout. Essentaially, it is a $30M/2 deal or $41M/3 deal with incentives that could make it $32M/2 or up to 45M/3. This leaves us with $13-14M to spend.
5) I'm not a huge Drew fan, but I really want Bogey at 3B next year and going forward. I've already traded away Middy, so we need a SS. We could sign drew for $36M/3 or $46M/4 and still be under the limit. I would not be against this idea, but I'd rather do this: Sign Brendan Ryan or Clint Barnes for $3-4M/1 of $7M/2. That leaves us about $10M to spend.
6) Sign Mujica to $14M/3 or $20M/3. This leaves us about a $2-4M buffer to cover incentives or to pick up someone at the deadline.
2014 Red Sox
vs RHPs vs LHPs
1) Nava LF Victorino RF
2) Pedroia 2B
3) Ortiz DH
4) Ethier CF Napoli 1B
5) Napoli 1B Gomes LF
6) Salty C Ethier CF
7) Vict RF Bogey 3B
8) Bogey Ross C
9) B Ryan
Bench: Nava or Gomes, Salty or Ross, Carp and Holt
On call in AAA: JBJ, Kalish, Lava, Cecchini, Castellanos, or others
SP: Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront, Dempster, Morales (LR)
RP: Uehara, Breslow, Mujica, Tazawa, Miller, Workman
On call in AAA: Britton, Villareal, Webster, Wilson and de la Rosa or others
I think this team would be highly competitive.