A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

In response to jidgef's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the posting fee reduced to "only" $20mil, isn't it possible that Tanaka stays at home in 2014?

There was talk the team would not allow Tanaka to leave for just $20M, but I doubt they leave that much on the table.

The new system makes it more likely Tanaka gets paid much more, since all the teams that bid the $20M will be able to bargain against each other driving up the price.

I admit to being in the dark on this Moon. Can his Japanese team simply say "no you're not going" if they can't cash in more?

I think the team can say no to the $20M posting fee and keep him. They expected much more and may try and send a message by refusing the $20M, but $20M is a lot of beans for a Japanese team to turn down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Speaking of pitching depth, here is a list of all the Sox pitchers that could see ML action this season:

SP:

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Peavy

Doubront

Dempster

[RP/SP: Morales, Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Couch, Hernandez, Kehrt]

Webster

Wright

Ranaudo

Barnes

Hinojosa

Owens

M Pena

RP:

Uehara

Mujica

Tazawa

Breslow

Badenhop

Miller

Morales

Workman

Britton

de la Rosa

Villareal

A Wilson

Carpenter

Layne

C Martin

Couch

Hernandez

Kehrt

Noe Ramirez

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 45m

Ben Cherington hinted around the #Redsox would sign submariner Shunsuke Watanabe to a minor league deal. Japanese media now reporting such

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think the team can say no to the $20M posting fee and keep him. They expected much more and may try and send a message by refusing the $20M, but $20M is a lot of beans for a Japanese team to turn down.

[/QUOTE]

The entire payroll of the Rakuten Eagles is about $17.49 million depending on the exchange rate

The salary for Tanaka is about $3.89 million

Tanaka represents 22.24 % of their entire payroll and makes 4x more than any other player on the team. 

That means that the $20 million posting fee could pay the entire payroll of the team for close to the next two years without Tanaka since average salaries dropped by 4% last year over there.  I'm not sure the Rakuten Eagles will want to risk that, but if they did it would be out of protest for what they feel is getting cheated out of an extra $40 million.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 45m

Ben Cherington hinted around the #Redsox would sign submariner Shunsuke Watanabe to a minor league deal. Japanese media now reporting such

http://www.pinstripealley.com/2013/11/9/5081238/yankees-international-free-agent-target-shunsuke-watanabe

Looks like a Japanese Chad Bradford, except he is 37 years old... we should not expect much from a guy with a 72 MPH fastball

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In honor of the Boston Red Sox winning this year's World Series, I decided (a month ago) to grow a beard.   Laughing

My goal is to look like Napoli (which will take me around three years  LOL).  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In honor of the Boston Red Sox winning this year's World Series, I decided (a month ago) to grow a beard.   Laughing

My goal is to look like Napoli (which will take me around three years  LOL).  

How's the wife taking it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

72 mph fastball? Wow? 

The guy better have an incredible groundball rate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq7H5oCwxRY

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Apparently Ortiz hit a 525 foot HR off of him in 2004. The longest HR in Tokyo dome history.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Looks like Boras is trying real hard to create a market for S.Drew. Which looks like this might play into RS hands? Possibly another 1 yr signing at high $. Looks like Mets a possible suitor are only willing to go 1-2 yrs. IMO would be good to have Drew back for 1 more yr and let Boegarts slowly work his way as starter [playing SS vs tough LH's / & 3B]. A rotation of Drew/Bogey/ WMB would also give RS depth at SS/3B if someone got hurt or wasn't playing well and seems something that Ben likes = depth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Looks like Boras is trying real hard to create a market for S.Drew. Which looks like this might play into RS hands? Possibly another 1 yr signing at high $. Looks like Mets a possible suitor are only willing to go 1-2 yrs. IMO would be good to have Drew back for 1 more yr and let Boegarts slowly work his way as starter [playing SS vs tough LH's / & 3B]. A rotation of Drew/Bogey/ WMB would also give RS depth at SS/3B if someone got hurt or wasn't playing well and seems something that Ben likes = depth.

I would rather have Drew for one year than Dempster for one year. Trading Dempster would clear budget room for the signing.

Let's say we sign Drew, we could see this for PAs:

SS: Drew 450 vs RHPs/75 vs LHPs  and Bogey 175 vs LHPs

3B: Bogey 300 vs RHPs and Middy 150 vs RHPs/250 vs LHPs

1B: Napoli 325 vs RHPs/250 vs LHPs and Middy 125 vs RHPs

DH: Papi 450 vs RHPs/150 vs LHPs and Napoli 25 vs LHPs and Bogey 75 vs LHPs  

This leaves no 1B PAs for Carp (traded?) and these totals:

Drew 525

Bogey 550

Middy 525

Napoli 600

Papi 600

If someone gets hurt for an extended time, the others could max out at PAs (650+ each).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

72 mph fastball? Wow? 

The guy better have an incredible groundball rate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq7H5oCwxRY

He gets hit A LOT...MiLB contract I think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would rather have Drew for one year than Dempster for one year. Trading Dempster would clear budget room for the signing.

Drew 525

Bogey 550

Middy 525

Napoli 600

Papi 600

If someone gets hurt for an extended time, the others could max out at PAs (650+ each).

I wouldnt be against Drew back for only 1 year, but If Xander and Middy are in Boston, they both need at least 500+ AB's or its bad for their development. The Closer to 600PA's the better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew 525

Bogey 550

Middy 525

Napoli 600

Papi 600

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt be against Drew back for only 1 year, but If Xander and Middy are in Boston, they both need at least 500+ AB's or its bad for their development. The Closer to 600PA's the better.

Well, the suggested guidline above gives them both over 500, but realistically, there's a good chance Papi, Drew or Napoli goes on the DL at some point, and that would increase both Middy and Bogey's total PAs to near 600. I don't think Bogey needs over 550 to further develop, in fact it might be best to keep him around 500-550. Middy should have no problem with 650 as long as he is not struggling like 2013.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder what the Astros would offer us for Carp.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, that's the same kind of rotation I've been writing about for a month or more. Injuries, red hot bats, and ice cold bats can muddle the numbers some, but there should be enough at bats to keep everybody happy and everybody sharp. Then the only hole would be a right-handed hitting outfielder who can play a decent centerfield.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, that's the same kind of rotation I've been writing about for a month or more. Injuries, red hot bats, and ice cold bats can muddle the numbers some, but there should be enough at bats to keep everybody happy and everybody sharp. Then the only hole would be a right-handed hitting outfielder who can play a decent centerfield.

Yes, I'd prefer a decent CF'er who hits lefties well than Gomes or Carp, but I doubt that happens. JBJ is the man. If something goes wrong with that plan, Shane will slide to CF, Nava to RF and Carp and Gomes will platoon LF. Not great D, but pretty decent offense that is actually better than the OF with JBJ. They could also seek out an OF'er to patch things up and move everyone back.

I'd also like to see a better utility IF'er than Holt. One that can play plus D at SS. Maybe McDonald?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 1h

#RedSox announce signing of Napoli. They DFA'd Alex Castellanos to make room on the 40-man roster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I wouldn't offer Drew more than $5 mil a year to come back to Boston, and I recognize that he is worth a lot more than that. If we don't take a pick for him now, will we ever take a pick for anyone beyond the guys just out of our price range like Ellsbury? We have the best prospect in baseball waiting to take over at SS. Why are we even considering bringing Drew back, making us potentially even going over the luxury tax limit?

This is the biggest no brainer call of the off season. Thank God he didn't take the QO. Take the freaking pick. For God's sake take the pick. Don't even think about bringing him back when we have Bogaerts, Middlebrooks and Cechinni already projected for the left side. We sign a low cost reserve middle infield guy and be done with it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm curioius which starter or starters get traded. I would think maybe Morales, Dempster, Peavy or Doubront. Doubront only for a real solid return. I think we can even trade 2 starters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't offer Drew more than $5 mil a year to come back to Boston, and I recognize that he is worth a lot more than that. If we don't take a pick for him now, will we ever take a pick for anyone beyond the guys just out of our price range like Ellsbury? We have the best prospect in baseball waiting to take over at SS. Why are we even considering bringing Drew back, making us potentially even going over the luxury tax limit?

This is the biggest no brainer call of the off season. Thank God he didn't take the QO. Take the freaking pick. For God's sake take the pick. Don't even think about bringing him back when we have Bogaerts, Middlebrooks and Cechinni already projected for the left side. We sign a low cost reserve middle infield guy and be done with it.

In short, I'd rather have Drew and minus one sandwich pick than Dempster with the sandwich pick. I really don't have a ton of confidence in Middy. I hope I am wrong about him. I've been wrong plenty of times.

I also think Bogaert's best position will be 3B, so I'm not sold on him as out SS for the next 15 years.

I'm curioius which starter or starters get traded. I would think maybe Morales, Dempster, Peavy or Doubront. Doubront only for a real solid return. I think we can even trade 2 starters.

I think Morales will be traded due to our lefty RP situation, but if we need budget space, I hope it is Dempster or Peavy. I'd like to keep Peavy, but he could bring a better return.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Drew 525

Bogey 550

Middy 525

Napoli 600

Papi 600

Be careful trading Carp. He's probably the one guy if Naps were to go down w/ injury [which he has been prone to do] that I wouldn't mind at 1B on everyday basis. We have nothing in minors, and not sure Nava or WMB would be able to handle on everyday basis. Ben likes depth this why I think Carp will be on 25 man. But like the rotation of the infielders, gives team choices and give RS a chance to see if Bogey is up for everyday SS job defensively if he is also could make in season trade of Drew. Yanks will probably be looking for SS during season. Really don't see a 40 yr playing SS all season and staying healthy? Ryan will drive fans crazy because he can't hit a lick. Just a poke at Yankee fans! You've worn me down that I agree trading Dempster would not be the worst thing = $ plus the depth we have we could withstand a Peavy + Buchholz on DL at the same time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Be careful trading Carp. He's probably the one guy if Naps were to go down w/ injury [which he has been prone to do] that I wouldn't mind at 1B on everyday basis. We have nothing in minors, and not sure Nava or WMB would be able to handle on everyday basis. Ben likes depth this why I think Carp will be on 25 man. But like the rotation of the infielders, gives team choices and give RS a chance to see if Bogey is up for everyday SS job defensively if he is also could make in season trade of Drew. Yanks will probably be looking for SS during season. Really don't see a 40 yr playing SS all season and staying healthy? Ryan will drive fans crazy because he can't hit a lick. Just a poke at Yankee fans! You've worn me down that I agree trading Dempster would not be the worst thing = $ plus the depth we have we could withstand a Peavy + Buchholz on DL at the same time.

As I have said, trading Gomes makes more sense to me than Carp, but I don't see Ben trading John's favorite.

B Ryan will surprise Yankee fans with his defense: something they haven't see at SS in about 2 decades.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cricketts...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Cricketts...

It's that kind of hot stove season, and happily the result of NOT needing to completely rebuild what is already a championship roster. Not saying there won't be a few more tweaks, but if the season started tomorrow I would like our chances. Pitching, pitching, pitching!!!

Sections
Shortcuts