A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I don't remember any team having such strong starting pitching prospects going into AAA ball in one year. How is this for a potential AAA rotation:

1) Webster

2) Barnes

3) Ranaudo

4) Workman

5) RDLR

6) Wright

7) Britton

That's a nice minor league pitching staff, but ...

The Jackson Generals of the Double A Southern League went into the 2012 season with a rotation that included Brandon Maurer, Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen and James Paxton. 

Maurer was named* the Southern League's top pitcher that year before opening the 2013 season in the Seattle rotation. Entering the 2012 season Baseball America ranked Walker No. 20, Hultzen No. 21 and Paxton No. 52 on its Top 100 prospect list.

Baseball America named the Jackson Generals the most talented minor league team on Opening Day 2012:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-10-minor-league-teams-on-opening-day/

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120904&content_id=37859160&vkey=news_l111&fext=.jsp&sid=l111

[/QUOTE]

I had forgotten the Seattle situation Hill. You are exactly right. One of those guys was injured recently wasn't he ( Hultzen maybe? ) but quite a few of those guys like Walker and Paxton  probably emerge on the mlb staff this year I would think. 

Seattle is emerging!

Hill, did all those guys go into AAA together to start one season?

No.

And Danny Hultzen has undergone a career-threatening shoulder surgery.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't remember any team having such strong starting pitching prospects going into AAA ball in one year. How is this for a potential AAA rotation:

1) Webster

2) Barnes

3) Ranaudo

4) Workman

5) RDLR

6) Wright

7) Britton

The Jackson Generals of the Double A Southern League went into the 2012 season with a rotation that included Brandon Maurer, Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen and James Paxton. 

Maurer was named* the Southern League's top pitcher that year before opening the 2013 season in the Seattle rotation. Entering the 2012 season Baseball America ranked Walker No. 20, Hultzen No. 21 and Paxton No. 52 on its Top 100 prospect list.

Baseball America named the Jackson Generals the most talented minor league team on Opening Day 2012:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120904&content_id=37859160&vkey=news_l111&fext=.jsp&sid=l111

[/QUOTE]

I had forgotten the Seattle situation Hill. You are exactly right. One of those guys was injured recently wasn't he ( Hultzen maybe? ) but quite a few of those guys like Walker and Paxton  probably emerge on the mlb staff this year I would think. 

Seattle is emerging!

No.

[/QUOTE]

So, the statement about the Sox AAA rotation may be still be telling. There may not have ever been a better 7 starters going into a season for any AAA team in memory... at least for a Sox AAA team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1) Webster

2) Barnes

3) Ranaudo

4) Workman

5) RDLR

6) Wright

7) Britton

[/QUOTE]

Seattle is emerging!

No.

[/QUOTE]

Living abroad, I don't pay as much attention to teams out of the AL East.  Just a little too hard with baseball happening in the middle of the night for me.  I am usually playing catch up with the days events.  But I had wondered why Seattle was plunking down money like it is.  Looking into it (via what you posted), it looks like they have a definite plan to emerge over the next few years.  I know, off topic on the Sox board, but it answered a question I had, so thanks hill.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like the new replay rule but wonder why they left in the "in the vicinity rule" on DPs at 2B. I guess they view injuries as more important than keeping the rules consistent.

I wonder how many times we will see a player intentionally delay the game in order to give team reps time to review a play, and determine if they want to ask for an official review.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I would like the replay rule a lot more if the reviews were triggered by a fifth umpire not on the field but monitoring the play. There could be one at each venue or a centralized operation run out of the league office or out of MLBTV, which could be one in the same. Why do managers have to worry about challenges; just use the available technology to get the calls right. This could actually shorten games (the biggest argument againt replay has always been that it adds to the length of games.) by eliminating arguments with umpires.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like the replay rule a lot more if the reviews were triggered by a fifth umpire not on the field but monitoring the play. There could be one at each venue or a centralized operation run out of the league office or out of MLBTV, which could be one in the same. Why do managers have to worry about challenges; just use the available technology to get the calls right. This could actually shorten games (the biggest argument againt replay has always been that it adds to the length of games.) by eliminating arguments with umpires.

[/QUOTE]

Good points. There will be cases where that 5th guy misses something before the next pitch, so there should still be some way a manager can stop action to ask for a review.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So far, the Sox have invied 12 non-roster players to spring training:

Blake Swihart

Henry Owens

Matt Barnes

Dalier Hinojosa

John Ely

Tommy Layne

Deven Marrero

Noe Ramirez

Mike McCoy

Brandon Snyder

Travis Shaw

Heiker Meneses

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As usual, great post.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I've revised my estimate of this year's revenue sharing dollars. It's not $25 mil. It's more like $40 mil. Even teams like the Marlins and Houston should get a check for $40 mil this year from revenue sharing alone. Disgusting isn't it.

It is significant to note that a whole lot of rumble is around the rumor that Theo is making a big run at Tanaka for the Cubs. Their TV deal with WGN ends in 2014 and the first city Tanaka visited was Chicago.

Hmmm...

The Kershaw deal would imply that the Dodgers would be a little less inclined to sign Tanaka. This all ends by next Friday according to reports. Can you imagine making maybe $150 mil with one contract? Man, I would be signing something soon!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Hill we just can't cut you any slack here can we! No doubt that Seattle still has a ton of top pitching talent on the farm and Walker's upside alone beats any of our guys by far. Seattle is coming back!

Seattle is a sleeper team. If even one of these guys ( Walker or Paxton ) emerges to support the top 2 guys they have there in Iwakura and the King they could be a great team next year. Cano should help them. I bet they are not done yet this winter also.

What a division that is shaping up to be. The Angels, Texas, Oakland, Seattle.....

and then there is Houston!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hill we just can't cut you any slack here can we! No doubt that Seattle still has a ton of top pitching talent on the farm and Walker's upside alone beats any of our guys by far. Seattle is coming back!

Seattle is a sleeper team. If even one of these guys ( Walker or Paxton ) emerges to support the top 2 guys they have there in Iwakura and the King they could be a great team next year. Cano should help them. I bet they are not done yet this winter also.

What a division that is shaping up to be. The Angels, Texas, Oakland, Seattle.....

and then there is Houston!

[/QUOTE]

The 'stros are talking about trading Castro. What a bunch of yahoos down here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soph. Show Soph's posts

Maybe it's time MLB institute a floor for player payroll similar to luxury tax threshold. Penalty would be to deduct team's revenue share by the amount below the payroll floor. 

Houstons of major league has to step up. If they can't afford it, then get out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

A lower payroll than the Marlins! That says it all. And they have a TV deal which pays them $80 mil a year. Their TV deal pays for their entire payroll 4 times over. Just their revenue sharing allotment should pay them twice as much as their payroll. It is an incredible rip off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The league does put a lot of pressure on teams like the Marlins. They will not put up with it for long!

They could sign Tanaka and more than double their payroll right there! The last I looked over 1/2 that team was making mlb minimum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

As a business proposition, it may be that Houston is just going to milk that cow for all it's worth until they get body slammed by the league. I don't know their financial situation much but the profits from the team have to be outrageous even with near zero attendance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I know I keep talking about the finances of teams recently but the influx of new money into the game is incredible. We may just be beginning to see it's impact. Even teams like the Rangers with $150 mil per year coming from their local TV deal. Seattle with a new $115 mil per year deal. Add the impact of revenue sharing and some of these teams are just going to be willing to break the bank. It's inevitable.

And the Cubs might well be the best example of that in the near future. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

5 teams make offers to Tanaka:

NYY, Cubs, CWS, AZ, & LAD

No Sox.

No Seattle.

No LAA.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soph. Show Soph's posts

I know it's silly but all things being equal, I would rather play in warm weather. Hello, Dodgers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Soph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know it's silly but all things being equal, I would rather play in warm weather. Hello, Dodgers.

[/QUOTE]

Arizona gets toasty too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a look at the Sox players with years of control and the prospects that might take their places. I did this quickly, so there may be some errors here and there:

Edit:

Ooops, it wouldn't paste....sorry!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

As a business proposition, it may be that Houston is just going to milk that cow for all it's worth until they get body slammed by the league. I don't know their financial situation much but the profits from the team have to be outrageous even with near zero attendance.

[/QUOTE]

The new owners  sued the former owners because they lied to them about tv money and other finances. Im wondering if they are waiting for that to be completed along with waiting for their prospects to really put more $$ into the team.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24270603/astros-owner-jim-crane-sues-former-owner-drayton-mclane

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The new owners  sued the former owners because they lied to them about tv money and other finances. Im wondering if they are waiting for that to be completed along with waiting for their prospects to really put more $$ into the team.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24270603/astros-owner-jim-crane-sues-former-owner-drayton-mclane

[/QUOTE]

The 'stros have been slowly building up their farm. Getting top picks helps. They are saying they will spend big when they feel enough of the kids are ready to contribute. It's really not a bad strategy: stay bad long enough to stockpile top pick prospects, then bring them all up near the same time and complement them with some good free agents.

It's a great venue to watch a game down here in Houston. They sell a lot of tickets, even though they have been so bad lately, but I do notice that like Florida, there are a lot of transplanted people down here with other team loyalties, so many of the games with high attendance is due to opposing team fans buying a significant amount of the tickets. I saw the Sox down here, and it seemed like there were almost the same amount of fans for each team.

I think they had about 20K per game, which could grow much higher with a winning team. They are having a big battle over viewer access to the games on cable. Many fans do not have a way to watch the teams down here on their own TV.

It's a mess.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I'm not sure i care whether or not John Henry receives a $40MM check.  but i would guess trying to stay under to get this "bonus" check will prevent us from making 1 or 2 moves that could benefit the club....

greed at it's finest.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure i care whether or not John Henry receives a $40MM check.  but i would guess trying to stay under to get this "bonus" check will prevent us from making 1 or 2 moves that could benefit the club....

greed at it's finest.

[/QUOTE]

My guess is that once that revenue sharing check stops coming to the Sox, Henry will open up the wallet and go over the limit, if needed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

So far, the Sox have invied 12 non-roster players to spring training:

Blake Swihart

Henry Owens

Matt Barnes

Dalier Hinojosa

John Ely

Tommy Layne

Deven Marrero

Noe Ramirez

Mike McCoy

Brandon Snyder

Travis Shaw

Heiker Meneses

I hate to ask stupid questions...but sometimes I do anyway. :-)

Is this in addition to the 40?  And not the 25?

And where do you find this information?

Sections
Shortcuts