A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In terms of just getting the most out of the pitching staff, I can't see any of our current catchers other than Lava doing worse than Salty/Lava did last year.

[/QUOTE]

You're implying that Salty didn't do well with the staff last year, in spite of the huge improvement in the staff ERA?

[/QUOTE]

I'm implying AJP & Ross can do better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Boom, I'm 65 but I feel good and like my job, so I'm going one more year.  The plan is to retire a year from this June.  I hope we can all meet in Ft. Myers someday--or in Portland to check out "your boys."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Sox are going into the year with 4 real decent left handed relievers. We just seem to always have more depth than other teams.

Who am I forgetting? Or, are you counting Doubront as a RP'er?

Breslow

Miller

Britton

[/QUOTE]

Mijares:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2014/01/red-sox-sign-veteran-lefty-jose-mijares.html

He's just depth but over his career he hasn't been that bad.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I was just looking at guys on the 40 man roster, but I suppose he will make an appearance in 2014 with someone going on the DL or being moved elsewhere.

I forgot all about him. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Mijares has an opt-out in March, correct? In that case, we probably shouldn't see him in Boston unless there's an injury to one of our lefties in the spring.

(It's still great to have a guy like that as insurance, though...especially when the Yankees gave 2 yrs and $7 mil to Matt Thornton this winter.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Sox are going into the year with 4 real decent left handed relievers. We just seem to always have more depth than other teams.

Who am I forgetting? Or, are you counting Doubront as a RP'er?

Breslow

Miller

Britton

[/QUOTE]

Mijares:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2014/01/red-sox-sign-veteran-lefty-jose-mijares.html

He's just depth but over his career he hasn't been that bad.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I was just looking at guys on the 40 man roster, but I suppose he will make an appearance in 2014 with someone going on the DL or being moved elsewhere.

I forgot all about him. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Mijares has an opt-out in March, correct? In that case, we probably shouldn't see him in Boston unless there's an injury to one of our lefties in the spring.

(It's still great to have a guy like that as insurance, though...especially when the Yankees gave 2 yrs and $7 mil to Matt Thornton this winter.)

[/QUOTE]

I'm still thinking Dempster or Peavy won't be here by opening day, and if we trade him one for a prospect or two that do not need to be placed on the 40 man roster, then maybe someone like Mijares makes the team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Though Jid did an excellent job evaluating and grading last year in ST, can we actually tax him with that again AND finding the next Jenny Dell?

[/QUOTE]

Why not hire me to replace Jenny Dell?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Though Jid did an excellent job evaluating and grading last year in ST, can we actually tax him with that again AND finding the next Jenny Dell?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

LHP Rich Hill signed to a minor league deal:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/red-sox-rich-hill-agree-to-minor-league-deal.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not!

[/QUOTE]

So you want me to find her replacement?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We should be able to do better than Jenny, and so should Will. Did you see his last girlfriend, back in Texas? A Dallas cowboys cheerleader if I remember correctly. She blew Jenny away IMO.

I guess proximity has it's advantages.

Sorry to be so crass. I know nothing of the situation. She may be really nice for all I know. I just hate to see young couples who seem to be made for each other break up. But again, I know nothing about the details.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Good for you Crit. By the way, I'm planning to work until I'm 70. Since I own the company, I think I'll stick around!

I want to reduce my time involvement though and have more time to travel and relax. In today's world people sometimes live into their 90s. I don't want to be poor and incapable of earning more money when I'm 80. My health is pretty bad now, but my wife is younger and may well outlive me by 20 years. I want to make sure she is taken care of before I go. My kids are almost there already. Just one last one in college. They all should be secure financially.

It's a tough decision though sometimes. There are a lot of things I still want to do. I used to think I wanted to do a Redsox blog but I'm more interested in politics and ecological concerns. Don't have time to do everything I want to do. Who does!

Except Moonbeam! 

I hope you, Moon, Jidge, Amp, Hill and everyone else get to do everything you want to in life. Everything came to an abrupt halt for me last fall. Kidney failure with an 8.3 creatinin level. Taking it one day at a time from now on. Not in pain any more though. Just can't exert much. Have to lay down every afternoon. Hopefully it will be stable for a while but they are not coming back so far. At least not getting a lot worse though.   

Have been debating bringing it up. I'm ok. Don't mean to complain. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Still working. We get old and things just fall apart.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Good for you Crit. By the way, I'm planning to work until I'm 70. Since I own the company, I think I'll stick around!

I want to reduce my time involvement though and have more time to travel and relax. In today's world people sometimes live into their 90s. I don't want to be poor and incapable of earning more money when I'm 80. My health is pretty bad now, but my wife is younger and may well outlive me by 20 years. I want to make sure she is taken care of before I go. My kids are almost there already. Just one last one in college. They all should be secure financially.

It's a tough decision though sometimes. There are a lot of things I still want to do. I used to think I wanted to do a Redsox blog but I'm more interested in politics and ecological concerns. Don't have time to do everything I want to do. Who does!

Except Moonbeam! 

I hope you, Moon, Jidge, Amp, Hill and everyone else get to do everything you want to in life. Everything came to an abrupt halt for me last fall. Kidney failure with an 8.3 creatinin level. Taking it one day at a time from now on. Not in pain any more though. Just can't exert much. Have to lay down every afternoon. Hopefully it will be stable for a while but they are not coming back so far. At least not getting a lot worse though.   

Have been debating bringing it up. I'm ok. Don't mean to complain. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Still working. We get old and things just fall apart.  

Boom, modern nephrology* can work wonders ... I wish you the best as your confront your medical issues.

I hope we all get everything we want out of life. I turn 60 next year, but I won't be retiring any time soon as my two children approach their college years. I've been blessed with good health so far and hope to stay well enough to help pay those college costs (and perhaps someday see the Mariners advance to the postseason).

I look forward to your continued contributions to this forum ... and our occasional friendly disagreements.Wink

* my wife is a nephrologist who is at a nephrology conference in San Diego as I write

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not!

[/QUOTE]

So you want me to find her replacement?

[/QUOTE]

No, let me do the interviews!

Tongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boom, I hope everything works out alright. Take care of yourself!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not!

[/QUOTE]

I'm deeply hurt Moon! You don't think I can provide the necessary eye-candy qualities at age 65? I know that I know more baseball than any of the past "sideline reporters". Looks like a clear case of age or just plain ugly discrimination to me! You and the Red Sox can look forward to hearing from my lawyers.Tongue Out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

Except Moonbeam! 

[/QUOTE]

Boom I had no idea. And here I am being flip with Moon a few posts ago. Keep getting better and taking care of yourself. I retired eight years ago only to find myself "re-employed" as my father-in-law's caretaker three years ago. It's a demanding job as he's wheelchair-bound and semi-paralyzed, but I'm fortunate enough to be healthy enough to do the lifting and other care needed. And he has season tickets to Jet Blue and a condo in Bonita Springs so there are perks. Wealth can be earned and planned for, but health is a gift from God that we must cherish and work at daily. When we have discussions on here we really have no idea who we're corresponding with or what they might be going through. That's why I avoid most of the trivial threads on here and stick with you guys. Maybe one of these days we can all get together and see who we really are; perhaps a scary proposition. So get well Boom and continue to take care of yourself and contribute to our daily fantasies here. We may not always agree but I always enjoy the debate. God bless.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Hey.... You could be like me. 33. Depressive episode and drinking till your .... You know what..... foams.... Enjoy what you have. Work at it. And when you are done, and feel good, retire and watch your kids follow you. I can't see anything better. Good luck old timers. You've earned it. You've let the abuse the years smack on you just rain off and walked on. many... Myself definitely included... Cannot say the same.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Do you guys think we are done with the off season at this point? Spring training is coming up and we are near the cap. Unless we trade Dempster or something like that we would go over the luxury tax limit if we signed Drew. I think we are looking at minor league signs and such at this point. We are what we are.

No way we are going to blow $45 mil in revenue sharing to sign Drew. But many think we are the front runner. And these guys get paid to say things like that. Every one of us could be professional sports writers. What a gig that is. They get to watch ball games every day and write for about an hour a day apparently. We all should be so lucky.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Not!

[/QUOTE]

I'm deeply hurt Moon! You don't think I can provide the necessary eye-candy qualities at age 65? I know that I know more baseball than any of the past "sideline reporters". Looks like a clear case of age or just plain ugly discrimination to me! You and the Red Sox can look forward to hearing from my lawyers.Tongue Out

OK, you can come interview, but no promises.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do you guys think we are done with the off season at this point? Spring training is coming up and we are near the cap. Unless we trade Dempster or something like that we would go over the luxury tax limit if we signed Drew. I think we are looking at minor league signs and such at this point. We are what we are.

Agreed.

I think we trade Dempster or Peavy, even if we don't sign Drew or anyone else by opening day. The savings can give us in-season flexibility to make moves to fill any gaps that arise due to injury or extreme underperformance. It also makes room for Workman or Britton or someone else that shines in ST or early AAA play.

No way we are going to blow $45 mil in revenue sharing to sign Drew. But many think we are the front runner. And these guys get paid to say things like that. Every one of us could be professional sports writers. What a gig that is. They get to watch ball games every day and write for about an hour a day apparently. We all should be so lucky.

Maybe they see us dealing Dempster and signing Drew... not unreasonable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I have two questions:

Do you think Drew signs before Spring Training starts? Getting really close now.

If Drew signs with the Sox, Middy is the odd man out. Be very interesting if Sizemore actually comes back as 90% of his former self. What trade would you envision if you had Middy + Peavy/Dempster + Nava/other OF by the middle to end of Spring Training?

I assume Miggy moves back to first. Would Detriot be interested in a trade?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

If Drew signs with the Sox, Middy is the odd man out. Be very interesting if Sizemore actually comes back as 90% of his former self. What trade would you envision if you had Middy + Peavy/Dempster + Nava/other OF by the middle to end of Spring Training?

Detroit's top prospect, 21-year-old Nick Castellanos, is listed as the Tigers' starting thirdbaseman on the Tigers' depth chart:

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/?c_id=det

Castellanos ranks No. 15 overall on the MLB.com prospect list, No. 37 at Baseball Prospectus and No. 32 at ESPN.

I doubt the Tigers would want to block Castellanos with Will Middlebrooks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, I think you are a better journalist than Jenny Dell but she has some attributes you just can't pick up in journalism class.  Moon says you can help interview but I advise against it.  We don't want our best ST correspondent sidelined with fatigue during this critical "need to know" season for the rest of us...

Boom, so sorry to hear about your medical problems this fall.  Hope you are ok now.  Maybe you could let one of your kids, wife, or trusted worker take over the brunt of the load-you become half time manager, over viewer, etc.  This is going to happen soon anyway, your wife is going to need to know what's what at some point.  If transition starts now, you'll feel good about following your dreams and maybe then bring more to your part time duties.  Just a suggestion, not trying to intrude.

Boom, I said this a few weeks ago and I meant it--I think your posting this fall and winter has been your very best since I've been coming here.  Very sharp, crisp, inciteful on Tanaka, economics of team, league, younger players, etc.  You turned my thinking around with your reasoning and seems like others too.  RS didn't follow up but you made a very strong pitch and showed how it could be done.  I especially applaud you knowing you weren't at your best in health.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Detroit's top prospect, 21-year-old Nick Castellanos, is listed as the Tigers' starting thirdbaseman on the Tigers' depth chart:

Castellanos ranks No. 15 overall on the MLB.com prospect list, No. 37 at Baseball Prospectus and No. 32 at ESPN.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hill! I hope that the RS stay away from Drew unless they have a big trade in mind. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Drew signs with the Sox, Middy is the odd man out.

Not necessarily. There would be a real possibility, assuming Middy looks good in ST and is healthy, that Bogey starts in AAA until his length of service time allows him to keep the extra year of team control on the back end. Middy starts at 3B and is given a long look to see if he belongs or to build value for a trade (planning to move Bogey to 3B when the deal is made).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hill, who do you see as the team most in need of a 3Bman like Middy?

Sections
Shortcuts