A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Of course how realistic is it that the often injury plagued Sizemore has that kind of season?

This might belong in the "plausible but not so realistic view of 2014: part 1" thread. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course how realistic is it that the often injury plagued Sizemore has that kind of season?

This might belong in the "plausible but not so realistic view of 2014: part 1" thread. 

[/QUOTE]

Even if he is 100% healthy all year, how reasonable is it to expect a great season good enough to get a QO next winter?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Though agent Scott Boras softened his strong words towards the Blue Jays in comments today, he continued to implore the team to open its pocketbooks by saying that Toronto has a "rare opportunity" to add impact free agents because of its protected first-round draft picks, reports Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca (interview via Jeff Blair of Sportsnet 590 The FAN). In addition to its advantageous draft situation, Boras argued that the Jays have the "flexibility in the long term" to backload contracts.
    • Boras said that client Stephen Drew could significantly upgrade the team's second base position, and that Drew would be willing to shift to the other side of the bag "if the club came and made the position a long-term one for him." Meanwhile, Boras argued that the switch-hitting Kendrys Morales would offer a better option against lefties than incumbent DH Adam Lind, who Boras said could be dealt for pitching. Toronto could recoup a future draft choice via qualifying offer when those players' deals end, the agent added.
    • In spite of (or, perhaps in part, because of) their success last year, the Red Sox are sticking with their strategy of "caution and strict sensibility," writes MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince"We recognize that our goal is to be as good as we possibly can be in 2014 but also 2015 and 2016 and beyond," explains GM Ben Cherington. "To do what we want to do, year in and year out, there has to be integration of young players. We're not going to force that unless we're reasonably confident those guys can contribute right away."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Boras convinces the Jays to sign Morales and Drew, and the O's sign Santana, the AL East will have signed 10 of the 13 qualifying offer free agents plus Tanaka!

Yanks: Ellsbury, Beltran, McCann & Kuroda (+ Tanaka)

Orioles: Jimenez, Santana & Cruz

Blue Jays: Morales & Drew

Red Sox: Napoli

(Others: Seattle-Cano, Texas-Choo, NY Mets-Granderson)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

JBJ looks real solid this year so far. Maybe he steps right in and is a stud! Call him Kirby jr!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• Though agent Scott Boras softened his strong words towards the Blue Jays in comments today, he continued to implore the team to open its pocketbooks by saying that Toronto has a "rare opportunity" to add impact free agents because of its protected first-round draft picks, reports Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca (interview via Jeff Blair of Sportsnet 590 The FAN). In addition to its advantageous draft situation, Boras argued that the Jays have the "flexibility in the long term" to backload contracts.
    • Boras said that client Stephen Drew could significantly upgrade the team's second base position, and that Drew would be willing to shift to the other side of the bag "if the club came and made the position a long-term one for him." Meanwhile, Boras argued that the switch-hitting Kendrys Morales would offer a better option against lefties than incumbent DH Adam Lind, who Boras said could be dealt for pitching. Toronto could recoup a future draft choice via qualifying offer when those players' deals end, the agent added.
    • In spite of (or, perhaps in part, because of) their success last year, the Red Sox are sticking with their strategy of "caution and strict sensibility," writes MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince"We recognize that our goal is to be as good as we possibly can be in 2014 but also 2015 and 2016 and beyond," explains GM Ben Cherington. "To do what we want to do, year in and year out, there has to be integration of young players. We're not going to force that unless we're reasonably confident those guys can contribute right away."

[/QUOTE]

Didn't Jays already try that last year by adding a bunch of payroll? Guess Boras thinks if you win the winter you should get a trophy? Remember when we won the winter prior to 2011 - that worked out well? Only time I remember it mattering was 09 when Yanks won after signing CC/Burnett/Tex and won a WS, but they already had Jeter/Mo/ Posada /Cano/ etc.... The Angels went backwards after signing Pujols / CJ. But teams will never learn. Want to win WS look at teams like Cards and RS have done past 10 yrs and what teams like Rays / Pirates/ Reds are doing now. Can sign a FA or 2 to fill holes but must develope young talent if you want to win consisitently [basically what Ben was saying at nd of that article]. Teams that can develope young talent espically pitching is going to be there yr in and yr out. So do't drink the Boras Kool Aid, he's the one that gave Drew and Morales some terrible advice to begin with!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Didn't Jays already try that last year by adding a bunch of payroll? Guess Boras thinks if you win the winter you should get a trophy? Remember when we won the winter prior to 2011 - that worked out well? Only time I remember it mattering was 09 when Yanks won after signing CC/Burnett/Tex and won a WS, but they already had Jeter/Mo/ Posada /Cano/ etc.... The Angels went backwards after signing Pujols / CJ. But teams will never learn. Want to win WS look at teams like Cards and RS have done past 10 yrs and what teams like Rays / Pirates/ Reds are doing now. Can sign a FA or 2 to fill holes but must develope young talent if you want to win consisitently [basically what Ben was saying at nd of that article]. Teams that can develope young talent espically pitching is going to be there yr in and yr out. So do't drink the Boras Kool Aid, he's the one that gave Drew and Morales some terrible advice to begin with!

It's ahrd to just magically begin to be like the Sox and cards and stay competitive now. Since the jays have a protected pick, it makes sense for them to go after QO free agents this winter. In the future, they may have to sacrifice a first rounder by doing so.

Remember, the Sox model of success has included signing expensive free agents. We were lucky not to have to lose a pick by signing Victorino, Dempster and Drew last winter. Had  they been QO free agents, we may not have signed them, and might not have won.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Red Sox Not Actively Engaged In Talks With Drew By  Jeff Todd [February 26 at 3:41pm CST]

The Red Sox have not had meaningful tallks with free agent shortstop Stephen Drew since the start of camp, reports Alex Speier of WEEI.com. Boston appears set to move forward with its present roster construction, without adding Drew.

That does not mean that the team is saying that a reunion is an impossibility, explains Speier. Rather, the Red Sox now views Drew like any other valuable free agent: they might become involved if the bottom falls out of his market, or if a need arose due to an injury. In other words, Boston would only rejoin the chase for Drew if opportunism or exigency intercedes

• According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Mets GM Sandy Alderson acknowledged that his team appears to be a logical landing spot for Stephen Drew, but the team has made its own cost-benefit evaluation and acted accordingly to this point. Alderson opined the Drew and agent Scott Boras "are reviewing the situation and perhaps looking at a strategy that prolongs this situation into the regular season or even into June."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even if he is 100% healthy all year, how reasonable is it to expect a great season good enough to get a QO next winter?

[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but with his injury history it may just be wishful thinking.  But I want to get carried away and imagine all the possibilities if Sizemore can only stay healthy and become a 5+ WAR player.  Kind of like how I start fantasizing about winning the lottery....but I'd have to say the we should at least have better odds than that with Sizemore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but with his injury history it may just be wishful thinking.  But I want to get carried away and imagine all the possibilities if Sizemore can only stay healthy and become a 5+ WAR player.  Kind of like how I start fantasizing about winning the lottery....but I'd have to say the we should at least have better odds than that with Sizemore.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, better than the lottery, but still long odds, even if 100% healthy all year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, read one of Globe writers today saying Doobie is fit and in shape and this writer is expecting a breakout season (Abraham?).  Probably we should just be thankful he's in shape.  But I have been touting patience with this kid for a couple of years and begged for no trade...I think he can be as good as Lester.  Keeping my fingers crossed.   Maybe Pedro can do some counseling here...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

It's ahrd to just magically begin to be like the Sox and cards and stay competitive now. Since the jays have a protected pick, it makes sense for them to go after QO free agents this winter. In the future, they may have to sacrifice a first rounder by doing so.

Remember, the Sox model of success has included signing expensive free agents. We were lucky not to have to lose a pick by signing Victorino, Dempster and Drew last winter. Had  they been QO free agents, we may not have signed them, and might not have won.

[/QUOTE]

Agree RS would not have signed any of those players if they were protected. Thats what made them great signings. But even better was they might have over paid in the short term, but at least they weren't saddled with these long term obligations 5+ yrs that tend to come back and haunt a franchise, allowing RS farm system time to produce future replacements.

But even if Jays top picks are protected, still believe they must forfeit a 2nd round pick? Would you want to give that up for a guy like Morales? RS have found a lot of talent late first round / supplemental picks / 2nd round. Jays picking near top will have a high 2nd round, not sure I would forfeit for a guy who plays no defense [DH at best] and probably has 2 good yrs left in him. Drew if willing to play 2B might be worth that pick, but even that could be a mistake depending on whats avalable in a deep draft?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, read one of Globe writers today saying Doobie is fit and in shape and this writer is expecting a breakout season (Abraham?).  Probably we should just be thankful he's in shape.  But I have been touting patience with this kid for a couple of years and begged for no trade...I think he can be as good as Lester.  Keeping my fingers crossed.   Maybe Pedro can do some counseling here...

[/QUOTE]

I have been harsh on Doubie, but always said he has nasty stuff and high upside potential. If this is the year he puts it all together, we could be in for a real treat- and likely back-to-back championship seasons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree RS would not have signed any of those players if they were protected. Thats what made them great signings. But even better was they might have over paid in the short term, but at least they weren't saddled with these long term obligations 5+ yrs that tend to come back and haunt a franchise, allowing RS farm system time to produce future replacements.

But even if Jays top picks are protected, still believe they must forfeit a 2nd round pick? Would you want to give that up for a guy like Morales? RS have found a lot of talent late first round / supplemental picks / 2nd round. Jays picking near top will have a high 2nd round, not sure I would forfeit for a guy who plays no defense [DH at best] and probably has 2 good yrs left in him. Drew if willing to play 2B might be worth that pick, but even that could be a mistake depending on whats avalable in a deep draft?

[/QUOTE]

It is a deep draft, but their 2nd round pick is #50 overall due to so many comp and competitive balance picks between 1 & 2.

If Toronto is ever going to sign a QO FA, it should be this year.

To answer your question, I am not sure Morales is worth a #50 pick, but he is better than what they have for the here and now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Leaving in minutes for the first game and later tonight I'll file my first report. But a quick aside, I sat alongside Bob Hamlin on my flight down here; he's a former ROY and in his third year as scout for the Sox. Interesting guy and an interesting flight. He's coming to the Fort for two days of meetings before heading to Arizona. First half of the year he covers three teams, Oakland, Arizona and Baltimore looking for players who could fill holes on the Sox. Second half he covers teams that could become post-season foes. He loves the Sox lineup and rotation and loves working for them. He says they're a first class organization, to which I had to ask him why he was sitting with me behind the curtain;). More tonight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, that's quite a teaser!  Gathering info en flight!  I can't wait for your first report.  Have fun today...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Jid, that's quite a teaser!  Gathering info en flight!  I can't wait for your first report.  Have fun today...

[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm honored he chose my thread to contribute his reports on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, I actually thought of starting my own for this, but I have never started one so I just thought why start one now. Especially since my HUGE fanbase is right here, represented by about five guys.

Today we watched the entire first game and the best moments came when a Northeastern lefty came in and fanned Pedey and Papi back to back, and then when they took the lead. It's hard to get a grasp of how well the pitchers are throwing against college kids, but Workman looked sharp as his off-speed pitches moved at least a foot down and are just unfair to throw at that kind of lineup. Owens had control issues and Noe Ramirez looked like an A ball pitcher. The underhanded Japanese pitcher is wierd, the most extreme submarine delivery I've ever seen, but with NO velocity. Pawtucket depth at best. The offense looked very shaky but Lavarnway and Bradley hit shots. Middlebrooks batted twice and saw two pitches, not what I was hoping to see from him.

We only stayed for three innings of the BC game and Ruby looked very sharp, like a man pitching against boys, but with great zip and great control. The run we saw scored on a double to right that should have been a routine fly out except the BC rightfielder forgot he was playing against grownups. But he did get to chat with the infielders between pitches. Barnes threw a very solid inning as well.

Other observations....Sizemore looks like an artist's rendering of what the perfect baseball player should look like. At the risk of sounding wierd, he simply has a great body for baseball. He hit a shot to left, his opposite field, that was an out but pinned the leftfielder against the wall. But the most interesting aspect of the out was that Sizemore was already at second base when the fielder caught the ball. Bogey and Pedey look like a great double-play combo. Lavarnway is looking less and less like a major league catcher to me, just doesn't throw well enough nor release quickly enough, but his bat will help some team somewhere.

All major leaguers tomorrow!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Thanks Jid.  I agree on your view of Sizemore as a perfect build for baseball.  I'm thinking JBJ's ST is pivotal to his year and the RS season.  I'm rooting for him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, I actually thought of starting my own for this, but I have never started one so I just thought why start one now. Especially since my HUGE fanbase is right here, represented by about five guys.

Today we watched the entire first game and the best moments came when a Northeastern lefty came in and fanned Pedey and Papi back to back, and then when they took the lead. It's hard to get a grasp of how well the pitchers are throwing against college kids, but Workman looked sharp as his off-speed pitches moved at least a foot down and are just unfair to throw at that kind of lineup. Owens had control issues and Noe Ramirez looked like an A ball pitcher. The underhanded Japanese pitcher is wierd, the most extreme submarine delivery I've ever seen, but with NO velocity. Pawtucket depth at best. The offense looked very shaky but Lavarnway and Bradley hit shots. Middlebrooks batted twice and saw two pitches, not what I was hoping to see from him.

We only stayed for three innings of the BC game and Ruby looked very sharp, like a man pitching against boys, but with great zip and great control. The run we saw scored on a double to right that should have been a routine fly out except the BC rightfielder forgot he was playing against grownups. But he did get to chat with the infielders between pitches. Barnes threw a very solid inning as well.

Other observations....Sizemore looks like an artist's rendering of what the perfect baseball player should look like. At the risk of sounding wierd, he simply has a great body for baseball. He hit a shot to left, his opposite field, that was an out but pinned the leftfielder against the wall. But the most interesting aspect of the out was that Sizemore was already at second base when the fielder caught the ball. Bogey and Pedey look like a great double-play combo. Lavarnway is looking less and less like a major league catcher to me, just doesn't throw well enough nor release quickly enough, but his bat will help some team somewhere.

All major leaguers tomorrow!

[/QUOTE]

Jid, I would not mind at all, if you started your own thread for your reports. They are well deserving.

Thanks for the initial game report. I love the insights and personal touch. The Globe should be calling you about a regular spring column.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

Thanks Jid.  I agree on your view of Sizemore as a perfect build for baseball.  I'm thinking JBJ's ST is pivotal to his year and the RS season.  I'm rooting for him.

[/QUOTE]

Crit, all that I'm hearing is that Bradley starts the year in center. Today Sizemore played left. I don't know how Sizemore's contract is worded, but I would bet that if he can, contract-wise, start the season in AAA then that's what he'll do. He's got lots of at-bats to catch up on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, this is basically the only thread I ever post on so here I stay. Until you start part two at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Jid,  If you hear anything, it would be interesting to know why Nava seems to be in Farrell's doghouse.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jid,  If you hear anything, it would be interesting to know why Nava seems to be in Farrell's doghouse.

[/QUOTE]

He's actually battling a "minor" injury and they're taking it slow with him. Just like the starting pitchers, no rush to get some of the regulars out there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, this is basically the only thread I ever post on so here I stay. Until you start part two at least.

[/QUOTE]

Keep up the great posts! Get more out of the 2-3 paragraphs you write about whats going on in Fort Meyers than if I read both the Boston Globe & Herald cover to cover. Really enjoy! Thx

Sections
Shortcuts