A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RIRSFan. Show RIRSFan's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Thanks for the great ST updates.  You guys have way more "readers" here than you think.  I am a first time poster, but long time reader and I suspect there are many more like me "out there" who just really appreciate the baseball focus and insights.  This is one of the threads I always check in on, as you guys provide great baseball insight and opinons with little of the other "stuff" that creeps into so many other threads.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Jid,  If you hear anything, it would be interesting to know why Nava seems to be in Farrell's doghouse.

I remember he went home during the season last year. I can't remember why. Maybe that was it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RIRSFan's comment:

Thanks for the great ST updates.  You guys have way more "readers" here than you think.  I am a first time poster, but long time reader and I suspect there are many more like me "out there" who just really appreciate the baseball focus and insights.  This is one of the threads I always check in on, as you guys provide great baseball insight and opinons with little of the other "stuff" that creeps into so many other threads.   

Feel free to add your thoughts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

D'Backs Asking For Young Catcher In Exchange For Shortstop By  Steve Adams [February 27 at 2:08pm CST]

The Diamondbacks have a good deal of depth at shortstop, as they feel that both Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings are capable Major League shortstops. In addition, three more names on Baseball America's list of Top 30 Diamonsbacks prospects -- Nick AhmedSergio Alcantara and Jose Munoz -- are shortstops. This has led to some speculation that the Diamondbacks could trade a shortstop in order to address other needs in the organization, and Marc Carig of Newsday now reports (via Twitter) that the Diamondbacks have targeted young catchers in discussing shortstop trades with the Mets.

However, Carig adds that the Mets aren't a good fit for a trade with the D-Backs. Arizona is said to be seeking a Travis d'Arnaud type of talent in exchange for one of their shortstops and doesn't deem fellow catcher Kevin Plawecki a good enough return. As such, the Mets and D-Backs haven't had recent trade discussions about Arizona's shorstops (Twitter links).

For some context, Plawecki ranked fifth on BA's Top 30 Mets prospects heading into the 2014 season. BA calls him a safe bet to bat around .280 and hit somewhere in the range of a dozen homers at his peak level, and his bat is good enough to profile as a starting catcher, according to their scouting report. He has an average arm and is solid when it comes to blocking pitches, per BA.

The Diamondbacks currently have Miguel Montero installed as their everyday catcher, but the 30-year-old's offense slipped in 2013. After batting .283/.361/.457 from 2009-12, Montero slashed just .230/.318/.344 in 475 plate appearances last season. The decline was rapid and clearly unexpected, as it came in the first season of a five-year, $60MM extension that Montero inked in May 2012. He's set to earn $10MM this coming season, $12MM in 2015 and $14MM in 2016-17.

Could the Sox move Lavarnway (and another prospect) or Vazquez for one of their SSs and move Bogey to 3B?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

D'Backs Asking For Young Catcher In Exchange For Shortstop By  Steve Adams [February 27 at 2:08pm CST]

The Diamondbacks have a good deal of depth at shortstop, as they feel that both Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings are capable Major League shortstops. In addition, three more names on Baseball America's list of Top 30 Diamonsbacks prospects -- Nick AhmedSergio Alcantara and Jose Munoz -- are shortstops. This has led to some speculation that the Diamondbacks could trade a shortstop in order to address other needs in the organization, and Marc Carig of Newsday now reports (via Twitter) that the Diamondbacks have targeted young catchers in discussing shortstop trades with the Mets.

However, Carig adds that the Mets aren't a good fit for a trade with the D-Backs. Arizona is said to be seeking a Travis d'Arnaud type of talent in exchange for one of their shortstops and doesn't deem fellow catcher Kevin Plawecki a good enough return. As such, the Mets and D-Backs haven't had recent trade discussions about Arizona's shorstops (Twitter links).

For some context, Plawecki ranked fifth on BA's Top 30 Mets prospects heading into the 2014 season. BA calls him a safe bet to bat around .280 and hit somewhere in the range of a dozen homers at his peak level, and his bat is good enough to profile as a starting catcher, according to their scouting report. He has an average arm and is solid when it comes to blocking pitches, per BA.

The Diamondbacks currently have Miguel Montero installed as their everyday catcher, but the 30-year-old's offense slipped in 2013. After batting .283/.361/.457 from 2009-12, Montero slashed just .230/.318/.344 in 475 plate appearances last season. The decline was rapid and clearly unexpected, as it came in the first season of a five-year, $60MM extension that Montero inked in May 2012. He's set to earn $10MM this coming season, $12MM in 2015 and $14MM in 2016-17.

Could the Sox move Lavarnway (and another prospect) or Vazquez for one of their SSs and move Bogey to 3B?

Could they? yes.  Will they? no.  I don't think they are looking to give up or move WMB yet.  I'm also not overly optimistic about their SS either.  (with the exception of Gregorious) But he might just be iggy with slightly less defense and more offense (this is assuming Iggy won't put up another offensive season like he did in 2013) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Could they? yes.  Will they? no.  I don't think they are looking to give up or move WMB yet.  I'm also not overly optimistic about their SS either. 

I agree. I doubt Ben even lifts the phone, but maybe as the season progresses, things might change. If Middy struggles, and Swihart thrives, Vazquez could be trade bait..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Could they? yes.  Will they? no.  I don't think they are looking to give up or move WMB yet.  I'm also not overly optimistic about their SS either. 

I agree. I doubt Ben even lifts the phone, but maybe as the season pregresses, things might change. If Middy struggles, and Swihart thrives, Vazquez could be trade bait..

Yes but Swihart hasn't seen anytime above single A.  Even if he thrives in AA, are we ready to hand him the keys next year at the MLB level? Probably not seeing how we develop catchers slowly and they take more time to develop.  

And still we lose ross and AJ after this year, so we would be putting ourselfs in a position to go out into FA and sign 2 catchers for a position that is supposed to be our strength.

I want to keep VAsquez, if all things go right he will start next year and be platooned with a FA pick up.  (I can deal with 1) 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I agree. I doubt Ben even lifts the phone, but maybe as the season pregresses, things might change. If Middy struggles, and Swihart thrives, Vazquez could be trade bait..

Yes but Swihart hasn't seen anytime above single A.  Even if he thrives in AA, are we ready to hand him the keys next year at the MLB level? Probably not seeing how we develop catchers slowly and they take more time to develop.  

And still we lose ross and AJ after this year, so we would be putting ourselfs in a position to go out into FA and sign 2 catchers for a position that is supposed to be our strength.

I want to keep VAsquez, if all things go right he will start next year and be platooned with a FA pick up.  (I can deal with 1) 

True enough, and Lava's stock has dropped off the planet.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from RIRSFan. Show RIRSFan's posts

Thanks.  I am cautiously optimistic about the outfield becoming a real strength if Sizemore and JBJ both continue to progress, as I believe they will.  I also believe Middlebrooks will have a bounce back season and that Bogey will be serviceable at SS this season (while he heads towards eventual greatness).  I liked Drew and respect what he gave us last year, but this is the season that the Sox need to see what they have with Wil and Xander, IMO.  IF (big if, I know) all this plays out positively, it will cause some tough decisions about the roster that I think will lead to Carp being moved.  I like Carp,  but no way do I see Gomes or Nava being moved.  I think this is why we're going to see Nava taking a lot of balls at first and why I think you are seeing Carp given a look as a back-up third baseman.  These are nice problems to have, again depending on how things progress through the spring, but we have good options.  A relatively healthy (even at 85% of his prior level) Sizemore along with even a modest hitting JBJ would give them so much flexibilty to rest Victorino and still get ABs for Gomes and Nava.  Even losing Els I could see the overall OF being better this year.  IF things continue to go well...  

Thanks.  I am cautiously optimistic about the outfield becoming a real strength if Sizemore and JBJ both continue to progress, as I believe they will.  I also believe Middlebrooks will have a bounce back season and that Bogey will be serviceable at SS this season (while he heads towards eventual greatness).  I liked Drew and respect what he gave us last year, but this is the season that the Sox need to see what they have with Wil and Xander, IMO.  IF (big if, I know) all this plays out positively, it will cause some tough decisions about the roster that I think will lead to Carp being moved.  I like Carp,  but no way do I see Gomes or Nava being moved.  I think this is why we're going to see Nava taking a lot of balls at first and why I think you are seeing Carp given a look as a back-up third baseman.  These are nice problems to have, again depending on how things progress through the spring, but we have good options.  A relatively healthy (even at 85% of his prior level) Sizemore along with even a modest hitting JBJ would give them so much flexibilty to rest Victorino and still get ABs for Gomes and Nava.  Even losing Els I could see the overall OF being better this year.  IF things continue to go well...  

Well said. My guess is all the hopes won't come true, but we could see up years from Pedey, Napoli or others to compensate.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

IF JBJ progresses and Sizemore is healthy, we will have one of the best outfields in baseball.  However....we will still lack depth.   Hypothetically we could option Nava to keep Carp and some depth....but that would be very undeserving.  My guess is if Sizemore is healthy and raking that JBJ starts the year in Pawtucket with his bags unpacked ready to ride the bus back up from pawtucket.  

IF JBJ progresses and Sizemore is healthy, we will have one of the best outfields in baseball.  However....we will still lack depth.   Hypothetically we could option Nava to keep Carp and some depth....but that would be very undeserving.  My guess is if Sizemore is healthy and raking that JBJ starts the year in Pawtucket with his bags unpacked ready to ride the bus back up from pawtucket.  

I think if Sizemore earns a slot, we may create a DL stint for Nava (or maybe Gomes or Carp). 

If Carp is raking in ST, a team desperate for a 1Bman may make an offer we can't refuse. (Nava, Papi, Middy and maybe Lava can all play 1B.)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RIRSFan. Show RIRSFan's posts

Yes, I could see that too.  This FO is really good and has placed themselves in a good position to be able to use the roster depth we do have (including strong prospects) to address the areas where we have ineeds.  I really like that they have not messed too much with the basic elements (including the intangibles) of a championship team, while still moving forward.  Spring is a time for all teams and fans to be optimistic, but in our case it is pretty well founded.    

Yes, I could see that too.  This FO is really good and has placed themselves in a good position to be able to use the roster depth we do have (including strong prospects) to address the areas where we have ineeds.  I really like that they have not messed too much with the basic elements (including the intangibles) of a championship team, while still moving forward.  Spring is a time for all teams and fans to be optimistic, but in our case it is pretty well founded.    

With the departure of Dempster and his salary, we also have the roster flexibility to fill some holes that arise over the course of the season.

• Sam and Seth Levinson, the agents for Jon Lester and several other Red Sox players, have arrived in Fort Myers, reports WEEI.com's Rob Bradford. It is not yet known whether they will engage in talks with GM Ben Cherington regarding a new deal for Lester, but Cherington has made clear that he would to keep negotiations to the spring.
    • Fellow Sox starter John Lackey says he is not worried about the fact that he'll be subject to a league-minimum club option net year, writes Bradford"It's different," said Lackey. "There will be some things I will have to think about, for sure." But he says he isn't worried about that now. "I haven't even gotten to that point of thinking that far ahead," Lackey said. "We'll play this year out and see what happens. I'm not worried about the money. I've made plenty of that."

• You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Been saying it since season ended. Would not surprise me if RS moved Nava. His value will probably never be as high as it is following his season last yr. IMO not so sure there is much more upside w/ Nava. If both Bradley and Sizemore have good springs could definately see both on roster come OD. Sizemore in a platoon w/ Gomes and could spell Bradley at times not a bad option. Can't see Sizemore playing 140+ games after being injured the last 3. Nava is basically the Rodney Dangerfield of RS = he gets no respect, even though he did a nice job for us last yr. If you could get a top Class A pitching prospect for him right now, would you do it? I would. 

In response to garyhow's comment:

Been saying it since season ended. Would not surprise me if RS moved Nava. His value will probably never be as high as it is following his season last yr. IMO not so sure there is much more upside w/ Nava. If both Bradley and Sizemore have good springs could definately see both on roster come OD. Sizemore in a platoon w/ Gomes and could spell Bradley at times not a bad option. Can't see Sizemore playing 140+ games after being injured the last 3. Nava is basically the Rodney Dangerfield of RS = he gets no respect, even though he did a nice job for us last yr. If you could get a top Class A pitching prospect for him right now, would you do it? I would. 

Could happen, but I think Carp is the one that might be moved, if Grady shines.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

A few comments on what I just read....I will be shocked if Middlebrooks, Bradley and Bogey are not all in the starting lineup at third, cf and short repectively. The team has too much invested in the trio in terms of time, money and losing Ellsbury in favor of Bradley to not let the trio show what they can do. I believe Sizemore, unless he looks absolutely spectacular, will begin the season in AAA to get regular at bats which he hasn't had in more than two years. I also would not be surprised to see them deal a catching prospect, but I think it would either be Butler, or more likely Lavarnway who is dealt. I don't believe they will be dealt for a shortstop because that will be Bogey, with Herrara in reserve.

I'll post more later, but it was a truly awful game today at Jet Blue. Ranaudo looked great, our offense was in a coma and our pitchers could not throw stikes and when they did they got hammered. Much more detail after dinner.

Couldn't get that last post through until I changed t h r e e s o m e  to trio, lest my post be interpreted as p o r n;)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

What a lovely problem to have, CT!  Nava is earning deserved recognition.  Carp is too good to lose, so he may also be learning 3B.  If JBJ and Grady both click ... woohoo.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shotsy. Show shotsy's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

A few comments on what I just read....I will be shocked if Middlebrooks, Bradley and Bogey are not all in the starting lineup at third, cf and short repectively. The team has too much invested in the trio in terms of time, money and losing Ellsbury in favor of Bradley to not let the trio show what they can do. I believe Sizemore, unless he looks absolutely spectacular, will begin the season in AAA to get regular at bats which he hasn't had in more than two years. I also would not be surprised to see them deal a catching prospect, but I think it would either be Butler, or more likely Lavarnway who is dealt. I don't believe they will be dealt for a shortstop because that will be Bogey, with Herrara in reserve.

I'll post more later, but it was a truly awful game today at Jet Blue. Ranaudo looked great, our offense was in a coma and our pitchers could not throw stikes and when they did they got hammered. Much more detail after dinner.

I don`t think there`s too much to worry about Bogaerts.I see Bradley coming along but I am really concerned about Middlebrooks.I just don`t like his wild swinging and hope for the best attitude .Perhaps he will change.

Well Middlebrooks came to camp in much better shape, carrying an extra ten pounds of muscle, and he is injury-free, which he wasn't last year. I don't get the comment on attitude; as far as I know he had a brief, immature moment went he got sent down last year, was sat down by DiSarcina, and has been a model citizen since. He is a free swinger, perhaps too much for his own good and I'd like to see him become more selective, but he's a great raw talent, far too good to be given up on.

PS Middlebrooks did draw a walk today, one of the highlights of an otherwise forgetable game.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

With the departure of Dempster and his salary, we also have the roster flexibility to fill some holes that arise over the course of the season.

Out of curiosity, was Dempster's choice all his own.  What I mean is did he have an option and just choose not to exercise it?  If so, it certainly says LOADS for his character since I'm sure he was aware of bottom of the rotation jam.

For a person to not to pick up millions for the good of the team etc. is astonishing.

I almost hope he returns for a curtain call of some sort.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Couldn't get that last post through until I changed t h r e e s o m e  to trio, lest my post be interpreted as p o r n;)

You closet rascal, you...LOL

Today's report from the fort...The day began with a very proud moment for this intrepid reporter as the coveted mayor's trophy, the real highlight of the 2013 season, was formally presented before the game as a result of the Sox beating the Twins in Spring Training last year. There wasn't a dry eye in the house!

The team did introduce every one in the organization before the game. The biggest ovations went to Farrell, Uehara, Pedroia and of course Ortiz. It was a nice moment with all three World Series trophies on the field at the time. Then Anthony Renaudo went out and threw two perfect innings and looked very good. The Cuban pitcher Dailer Hinajosa (sp?), pronounced Dan Jones, had a solid third and a dismal fourth, which he didn't finish. I think he left with a whiplash injury as balls were flying by him at a frightening pace. He was followed by Andrew Miller who walked the house, gave up a sac fly, then left so someone not even listed on the program could give up a bases clearing double. The scoreboard actually listed the Red sox pitcher as "unknown". Eventually they brought in another guy not listed on any program but who's uniform said he was Rebot or something like that and he tried to set the all time spring training record for time between pitches. When I finally came to he had allowed a couple runs on about fourty pitches with about a minute and a half between each pitch.

Offensively things were not much better. Napoli got their only two hits in the first five innings. Brentz hit a towering home run but played rightfield like it was mined. He commited one error that allowed a run and has no clue what the term "cut-off man" comes from, derivation or definition, so everyone who singled to right got a free pass to second base.

A followup to yesterday's game that I forgot to mention, Bradley got two hits, one of which should have helped keep a rally going as it followed a Lavarnway single with no outs. But Lavarnway was plunked by the line drive so he was out and Bradley got credit for a single. A major-leaguer should be able to avoid a line drive, especially since there was not a hit and run or steal on. The funniest part about it was the firstbaseman picking it up and touching the bag and Bradley thought he was out. The college umpires called him out and I felt like only a handfull of people in the building knew the rule, which is the hit runner is out, the ball is dead, and the batter gets credit for a base hit. Eventually the umpires figured it out and Bradley got his second hit. But man is Lavarnway slow!

• Sections
    Shortcuts