A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

For discussion sake, how would we feel about Pedey playing SS?  That was his position in college. Maybe it would be easier for us to find a 2nd baseman...This is prompted by the way by my new friend telling me TWICE on Fri. that Pedey could play SS making me wonder if he got that from him.  I'm not sure if I like the idea, but I am sure if anyone could do it...

Hard to move a GG 2Bman at this point in his career. I'm wondering where Betts will end up.

I would like to think that Workman or Webster might be able to duplicate what Dempster did, and Doobie could definitely have done better than Peavy in his playoff starts.  So I'd go along with trading them to improve the team.

I'm thinking Ranaudo or even owens could be called up at some point in 2014.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Congratulations to Iglesias and everyone "involved", and I vote a full share and a ring for Iglesias for covering for Drew's vacation on the disabled list. 

[/QUOTE]

Clown.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I didn't say Peavy WAS a salary dump. I said EVEN IF we had to make him a salary dump to move him I would still do it. We just traded a solid piece in Iglesias to get him so he should get us something in return but he does have roughly $16 mil against the luxury tax limit if I remember correctly so taking him off the roster opens up a lot of money for other signs. It's complicated but his $4 mil contract buyout affects things.

I think we know we are not going to be able to move Dempster's contract. If we want to clear cap space, we need top consider trading at least one starting pitcher ( I know it's not a "cap" any more but you know what I mean ).

I don't get the rumors that we might trade Lackey. He is exactly what we want I would think. They must be dangling him to some low budget teams with lots of available prospects. But I really don't see that happening.

I also wish they would leave Workman in the pen but if they think he can make the transition I'm willing to consider it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I didn't say Peavy WAS a salary dump. I said EVEN IF we had to make him a salary dump to move him I would still do it. We just traded a solid piece in Iglesias to get him so he should get us something in return but he does have roughly $16 mil against the luxury tax limit if I remember correctly so taking him off the roster opens up a lot of money for other signs. It's complicated but his $4 mil contract buyout affects things.

I think we know we are not going to be able to move Dempster's contract. If we want to clear cap space, we need top consider trading at least one starting pitcher ( I know it's not a "cap" any more but you know what I mean ).

I don't get the rumors that we might trade Lackey. He is exactly what we want I would think. They must be dangling him to some low budget teams with lots of available prospects. But I really don't see that happening.

I also wish they would leave Workman in the pen but if they think he can make the transition I'm willing to consider it.

[/QUOTE]

Lackey is certainly the best of the big 3 contracts: Peavy, Dempster and Lackey, so of course, he'd net the best return. His 2 years of team control at about $17M total is a bargain for any team. 

Having Peavy and Dempster as our 4 and 5 starters (Doubront as the 3) may not be my idea of a powerful rotation, but I'm sure the thinking is that if Lackey can bring back a player that upgrades another position from 2013, it might be worth a look.

I'd try and see if we can get someone to take Dempster and $8-10M of his deal. If not, then trade Peavy for a useful piece and save us his contract cost and the cost of filling the slot the return player fills.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here is the list of MLBTR's top 50 FAs:

Red = QO

1) Cano

2) Ellsbury

3) Choo

4) McCann

5) Tanaka

6) E Santana

7) Garza

8) Kuroda

9) Burnett

10) Napoli

11) Jimenez

12) Beltran

13) Granderson

14) S Drew

15) Salty

16) Kazmir

17) Nelson

18) Infante

19) Nathan

20) Nolasco

21) Peralta

22) Colon

23) Arroyo

24) Byrd

25) Balfour

26) Benoit

27) Feldman

28) K Morales

29) C Ruiz

30) J Johnson

31) T Hudson

32) Rodney

33) Pierzynski

34) Haren

35) Vargas

36) Suk-min Yoon

37) Loney

38) Hughes

39) C Hart

40) Mujica

41) McLouth, 42) Uribe, 43) Maholm, 44) Joe Smith, 45) Morneau

46) Crain, 47) B Wilson, 48) J Hammel, 49) Halladay, 50) C Young

FYI...

Going by this list, the best non QO players at slots the Sox need (CF/RF, 1B, C, SS/3B) are:

C: Salty

SS: Peralta

CF/RF: Byrd

1B: Loney

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, tell me you didn't make up that number 36 on your list!Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, tell me you didn't make up that number 36 on your list!Wink

[/QUOTE]

It's real, but don't ask me anything esle about him.

(I assume he's a him.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Agreed that option A is to try to unload part of Dempster's contract, probably to a NL team like the Giants...etc. If we can do that and unload 8-10 mil I'm all for it. I don't have a huge problem keeping him though either. At least he's durable and probably wins half his games with the Sox. That's not bad out of a #5.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Agreed that option A is to try to unload part of Dempster's contract, probably to a NL team like the Giants...etc. If we can do that and unload 8-10 mil I'm all for it. I don't have a huge problem keeping him though either. At least he's durable and probably wins half his games with the Sox. That's not bad out of a #5.

[/QUOTE]

With 6 starters plus Morales, Worman, Britton, Webster, de la Rosa, Ranaudo, Owens and other, subtracting about $7-9M from our budget by trading Dempster makes too much sense to not try. 

Is the step down from Dempster to Morales and Co that large?

Is the gain we can get by adding $7-9M to our winter spending budget significant enough to outweigh the possible loss at the 6 starter slot?

I think it's a no-brainer.

While the 6 starter is important, we have 4-5 major holes to fill this winter, and that $8M or so, can go a long way towards filling 1 or 2 of them.

We might be able to keep Salty for about that amount.

SP6 Dempster

C  Ross/Lava

or 

SP6 Morales

C  Salty/Ross

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some team might take Dempster in hopes that getting away from Fenway might help him return to the numbers he had with the Cubs.

Home 4.83 ERA

Away 4.03 ERA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

After watching Workman , if he is put into Dempsters role I think it will be a step up.  I know some here want him to keep relieving and he was great at that in the heat of the WS, but I think he would be just as successful starting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After watching Workman , if he is put into Dempsters role I think it will be a step up.  I know some here want him to keep relieving and he was great at that in the heat of the WS, but I think he would be just as successful starting.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

We should trade Dempster and make Workman the 6th starter/ long relif man (along with Morales).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With 6 starters plus Morales, Worman, Britton, Webster, de la Rosa, Ranaudo, Owens and other, subtracting about $7-9M from our budget by trading Dempster makes too much sense to not try. 

Is the gain we can get by adding $7-9M to our winter spending budget significant enough to outweigh the possible loss at the 6 starter slot?

While the 6 starter is important, we have 4-5 major holes to fill this winter, and that $8M or so, can go a long way towards filling 1 or 2 of them.

SP6 Dempster

C  Ross/Lava

or 

SP6 Morales

C  Salty/Ross

[/QUOTE]

This idea that we should trade a starter because we have a so called surplus is non sense. Last time we did that we lost Bronson Arroyo. Going into next season is there any gaurantees that Buchholz or Peavy will give us 30 starts or 190+ ip next year? or that Doubront doesn't show up to camp next yr out of shape and that he doesn't spend the first mos of season at the fat farm? Look Dempster was exactly what I thought he would be, a guy that basically makes 30 starts [something he's done for the past 7 seasons] and 170+ ip w/ a .500 record and a 4.5 era and gives his team a chance to win almost everytime out. There is a lot to be said for that! At this point I would have no problem w/ Dempster in the bullpen and as a spot starter should someone go down to start yr. If you want to trade anyone trade Morales a guy who has never proven he can give you 30 starts, but at his age would bring something back in return, not just a salary dump. While all the young guys you mention have a lot of promise, I would not like to throw any of them into the rotation to start the year because we traded our so called surplus. Makes better sense to do what RS did w/ Workman this yr and gradually work them into the staff, not throw them to the wolves so to speak. Pitchers take time most often, a guy like Raunado has taken 1 step forward then 1 step back almost his whole minor league career, anyone that thinks you could throw him into rotation to start yr is crazy. Same could be said for Workman wasn't like we all started last yr saying can't wait for Workman to come up this yr, he was a nice surprise. Counting on young pitchers to step in and make 30 starts usually ends horribly, thats why a guy like Dempster got the $ he did if it wasn't RS someone else would have. Pitching Wins! Never have too many starters.. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SP6 Dempster

C  Ross/Lava

or 

SP6 Morales

C  Salty/Ross

[/QUOTE]

This idea that we should trade a starter because we have a so called surplus is non sense. Last time we did that we lost Bronson Arroyo. Going into next season is there any gaurantees that Buchholz or Peavy will give us 30 starts or 190+ ip next year? or that Doubront doesn't show up to camp next yr out of shape and that he doesn't spend the first mos of season at the fat farm? Look Dempster was exactly what I thought he would be, a guy that basically makes 30 starts [something he's done for the past 7 seasons] and 170+ ip w/ a .500 record and a 4.5 era and gives his team a chance to win almost everytime out. There is a lot to be said for that! At this point I would have no problem w/ Dempster in the bullpen and as a spot starter should someone go down to start yr. If you want to trade anyone trade Morales a guy who has never proven he can give you 30 starts, but at his age would bring something back in return, not just a salary dump. While all the young guys you mention have a lot of promise, I would not like to throw any of them into the rotation to start the year because we traded our so called surplus. Makes better sense to do what RS did w/ Workman this yr and gradually work them into the staff, not throw them to the wolves so to speak. Pitchers take time most often, a guy like Raunado has taken 1 step forward then 1 step back almost his whole minor league career, anyone that thinks you could throw him into rotation to start yr is crazy. Same could be said for Workman wasn't like we all started last yr saying can't wait for Workman to come up this yr, he was a nice surprise. Counting on young pitchers to step in and make 30 starts usually ends horribly, thats why a guy like Dempster got the $ he did if it wasn't RS someone else would have. Pitching Wins! Never have too many starters.. 

[/QUOTE]

Normally, I am always about upgrading the rotation near the top slots, but this winter is a special one. How many times has this team lost 4 big players and have only $32M to replace them?

We can trade the farm or trade Dempster. I choose Dempster. At worst, we make a trade for another Peavy in July.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SP6 Dempster

C  Ross/Lava

or 

SP6 Morales

C  Salty/Ross

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gary your logic is sound from a strictly baseball point of view. But none of the young guys, including Morales, carries the price tag of a Dempster and therefore don't offer the front office the financial relief that dealing Dempster would accomplish. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

[QUOTE]

Some team might take Dempster in hopes that getting away from Fenway might help him return to the numbers he had with the Cubs.

[/QUOTE]

Two keys  to me looking at the roster going into 2014 and what might happen this Winter. (1) There is only one hole in the roster that MUST be filled from outside, and that’s a center/right fielder to make up for Ellsbury’s departure.  And (2) there is too much quality young pitching: more than is needed at the top level and more than can be protected on the 40 man roster.

I know the Marlins say they’re keeping Stanton, but everybody’s got their price: Stanton for 

-Doubront AND JBJ AND one of RubbyD or Webster AND one of Owen or Renaudo AND maybe Dempster or Peavy along with some salary

To me, Dempster and Peavy are the same pitcher: one has to go. They’re both quality veteran right-handed, bull-dog type inning-eaters.  (Buehrle is another guy like that.) Peavy’s got the edge, but doesn’t seem as durable and doesn’t have the experience of going to the BP as necessary. 

No one ever talked about it, but I wonder if Dempster’s throwing at ARod had any impact on his standing in the clubhouse or on the team. He didn’t get any support for it and Ortiz basically said it was  not good. You didn’t hear much from Dempster after that happened.

Compare this to the Yankees, who’ve got a lot of holes that MUST be filled: 2 starting pitchers, a reliever or two, catcher, right fielder, DH, and quality back-ups at SS and 3B. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Dempster's road ERA makes him worth more to another team than us. That's a big incentive to look to trade him.

2) Dumping Dempster to free up luxury limit budget space allows us to better fill the 4-5 slots we have open.

3) Replacing Dempster with Morales and others is not such a big step down, if at all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And the latest from the UAPM, as it looks at 1B.  All projections based on 600PA

Kendrys Morales:  .278 / .321 / .462  (.783OPS) 25 HRs

Mike Napoli: .268 / .364 / .496 (.860OPS) 35 HRs

Mark Trumbo: .251 / .296 / .472 (.768OPS) 32 HRs

Justin Morneau:  .264 / .323 / .416 (.739OPS) 17HRs

I don’t see Napoli hitting 35HRs, or, for that matter, getting 600PA.  But this is what the UAPM says.  I’m just the messenger, not the developer of the algorithm.  (Wait.  Yes I am.) Regardless, even discounting UAPM-oriented optimism, he is far and away the smartest option at this position.

Trumbo dials himself in exactly where even his biggest supporters would expect him to.  The Sox do not need to add another bat who gets himself out over 70% of the time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If Napoli falls through, another “under the radar” solution for 1B is a guy whom I think is a likely bounce back candidate.

Dan Uggla has been struggling in Atlanta with the exception of a ridiculous one month stretch over the past 3 years.  Since acquiring him 3 years ago, he has hit a fairly unimpressive .213 / .323 / .424.  The extension he signed still guarantees him about $26mill over the next 2 seasons, and his image in Atlanta is so bad right now, he was left off the post-season roster in 2013.  The Braves went with career utility man Elliot Johnson as their starting 2B, but they also have in-house options including Tyler Pastornicky and Tommy LaStella.  They would like nothing more than to get rid of Uggla.

I ran Uggla through the Uncannily Accurate Projection Machine, or UAPM (pronounced “whap ‘em”) to see what kind of hitter he really is.  His numbers came out to be  .236 / .340 / .434 (.727) with 27 HRs.  Tolerable, but not exactly exciting.  While he certainly has been unlucky, it’s not like he should have been setting the world on fire.  

However, it is worth noting that Uggla’s entire career to date has been in two of the unfriendliest pitcher parks in the NL (Miami and Atlanta).  On the road, he has shown much more impressive power, with a HR/FB % of 25% on the road, as opposed to about 10% at home. As Uggla is a notorious flyball hitter, this could mark for a really big improvement.    Also, as a RHH power bat, Fenway alone represents an ideal situation for him.  The Green Monster does turn a lot of routine flyballs into wall scrapers.  A change of parks to Fenway does drastically increase his projected output to a rather insane .274 / .373 / .503 with 43HRs.  While that seems a little ridiculous, to be kind, the bottom line is that he would most definitely benefit from getting out of Atlanta.  And the Braves are quite open in their desire to move him.  (I might have to rename this the Overly Optimistic Projection Machine.  The Oop 'Em.)

Uggla did struggle with vision issues last season, and had LASIK surgery in August.  He was actually worse when he came back, but I have no idea if there was any adjustment to his newfound vision.  It is actually impressive he was able to retain his plate disciple for the majority of the season with failing eyesight.   I think, regardless of where he plays, Uggla’s improved vision will lead to a better 2013 for him, even in Atlanta.  Granted, it might not improve to the level the Braves want, especially for the money he is owed.  And his patient, pitch-working approach does fall right in line with the Red Sox offensive philosophy.

At the very least, this is the Sox best chance to upgrade while trading only Dempster .  The Braves may or may not feel they need another SP, but at the very least stand a chance at not retaining Hudson.  They have had interest in Dempster before, however Dempster himself invoked his NTC and killed that deal.  While that is Dempster’s right as a player, it is impossible to tell if Atlanta would be interested again.   They might overlook it if it gives them a chance to dump Uggla, whose list of suitors is not going to grow any time soon.   Certainly, the Braves would make the deal for Peavy, but if that is the case, the Sox might want additional enticement to make up for the lost potential draft pick.

And yes, Ugglas has never played 1B.  But it is the postion players get moved to when they cnnot handle their own.  Uggla can certainly field grounders and catch a ball thrown to him.  I would expect some defensive growing pains, but overall he is a career infielder and should adjust in a short amount of time.

And if Uggla does turn into a .850OPS hitter with anywhere near 35HRs for Boston, the deal becomes all the better…

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And the latest from the UAPM, as it looks at 1B.  All projections based on 600PA

Kendrys Morales:  .278 / .321 / .462  (.783OPS) 25 HRs

Mike Napoli: .268 / .364 / .496 (.860OPS) 35 HRs

Mark Trumbo: .251 / .296 / .472 (.768OPS) 32 HRs

Justin Morneau:  .264 / .323 / .416 (.739OPS) 17HRs

I don’t see Napoli hitting 35HRs, or, for that matter, getting 600PA.  But this is what the UAPM says.  I’m just the messenger, not the developer of the algorithm.  (Wait.  Yes I am.) Regardless, even discounting UAPM-oriented optimism, he is far and away the smartest option at this position.

Trumbo dials himself in exactly where even his biggest supporters would expect him to.  The Sox do not need to add another bat who gets himself out over 70% of the time.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, especially from a 1Bman.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Uggla as in the guy who couldn't even make Atlanta's PO roster this year. The one who was "upset" he didn't make it after hitting .179 for the year and .083 in August and .112 in Spetember. As going anywhere near 1st base for the Redsox? I think we would need to mapquest it for him. 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9766485/2013-mlb-playoffs-dan-uggla-upset-being-left-atlanta-braves-roster

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a list of the Sox top prospects as ranked by soxprospects.com by position:

C    8 Swihart, 13 Vazquez, 19 Denny, 30 Butler

1B 26 Almanzar, 40 Longhi, 46 T Shaw

2B 10 Betts, 20 W Rijo, 27 Coyle

3B 3 Cecchini, 25 R Devers

SS 1 Bogaerts, 17 Marrero, 37 T-W Lin

OF 2 Bradley, 14 Margot, 18 Brentz, 21 Hassan, 31 Ramos, 32 de la Cruz

SP 4 Owens, 5 Barnes, 6 Ranaudo, 7 Webster, 9 T Ball, 15 Johnson, 16 Stankiewicz, 

22 L Diaz, 22 Buttrey, 24 Callahan, 28 Kukuk, 33 Mercedes, 34 S Gomez, 35 P Light,

36 D McGrath, 38 M Smith, 39 C Littrell, 42 Wright, 43 Couch, 45 M Pena, 50 Haley

RP 11 Workman, 12 Britton, 29 Wilson, 41 Martin, 44 Ramirez, 48 Stroup

Sections
Shortcuts