A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

I think Davis is a great option as a speedy 4th or 5th OF with the ability to cover some ground in our expansive CF area plus be used as a base stealing option late in the game. I think we might be able to land him for $5 mil per year. My main concern is he is a remnant of the Toroto clubhouse and Farrell may not want any part of that revisited. 

He's not that great defensively either but we are talking about a guy not expected to start. Froma pure baseball perspective I think he would be a terrific fit. I brought this up on several forums months ago and I think Moon was the only supporter of the idea. We are on the island all by ourselves Moon! I did see something about him in the Globe this morning though so now at least some people are warming up to the idea. 

Believe it or not guys, I think sportswriters actually do read our posts some. It's their job to come up with things people like us might be interested in reading. I've seen it happen too many times where things I've posted end up in the paper a few days later. That's ok with me. Most of the time I'm sure it's just coincidence but it would also be reasonable for sportswriters to skim these pages to see what fans are thinking.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Sox will probably do some trade out of nowhere which we hadn't even thought about to fill a need somewhere. A starting pitcher for a 1st base option or something like that. A catcher. Maybe an outfielder. They don't have to sign FA for everything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox will probably do some trade out of nowhere which we hadn't even thought about to fill a need somewhere. A starting pitcher for a 1st base option or something like that. A catcher. Maybe an outfielder. They don't have to sign FA for everything.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I do think we may end up with Hanigan, but you guys are right about Marshall ebing redundant.

I meantioned Barnes, because I heard he was a great fielder. I admit I do not know much about his recent skillset. I'd just like to see us get a cheap defensive whiz at SS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, I like your Rajai Davis idea a lot as our 4th/5th outfielder who can steal that "gotta have it" base late in games. He always seems to do very well against us. I've also mentioned it in other posts. But it really only makes sense if Ells goes elsewhere. And if Ells goes elsewhere, which I still believe he will, although with less certainty than a few weeks ago, I think Bradley will be given every opportunity to start in centerfield. And that makes the Davis idea make even more sense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I do think we may end up with Hanigan, but you guys are right about Marshall ebing redundant.

I meantioned Barnes, because I heard he was a great fielder. I admit I do not know much about his recent skillset. I'd just like to see us get a cheap defensive whiz at SS.

[/QUOTE]

BARMES, not Barnes

Hes not that good defensively either Moon. But I understand the thinking for a solid defensive BU IF'er. We still have Holt and picked up Castellenos(SP?) who can play every position except P and C. Do we still have Macdonald? Surprisingly, hes still very good for his age. Cesar Izturis might be an option for defensive BU. Still only 33yo and has played 2b, SS and 3b..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BARMES, not Barnes

Hes not that good defensively either Moon.

I heard somewhere he was pretty good, but I'll take your word for it.

But I understand the thinking for a solid defensive BU IF'er. We still have Holt and picked up Castellenos(SP?) who can play every position except P and C.

Maybe for a day or two, but I'm worried about Middy struggling again.

Do we still have Macdonald?  Surprisingly, hes still very good for his age.

No, but could probably sign him for very cheap as a utility IF'er, but I am still holding onto the slim hope that we sign a defensive whiz SS to be our FT  guy, so Bogey can move to 3B, and we don't have to worry about Middy's struggles..

Cesar Izturis might be an option for defensive BU. Still only 33yo and has played 2b, SS and 3b.

True, but see my comment above.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

BARMES, not Barnes

But I understand the thinking for a solid defensive BU IF'er. We still have Holt and picked up Castellenos(SP?) who can play every position except P and C.

No, but could probably sign him for very cheap as a utility IF'er, but I am still holding onto the slim hope that we sign a defensive whiz SS to be our FT  guy, so Bogey can move to 3B, and we don't have to worry about Middy's struggles..

Cesar Izturis might be an option for defensive BU. Still only 33yo and has played 2b, SS and 3b.

[/QUOTE]

I just dont see that happening Moon, although I realize its what you want to happen.

Going into 2014 I think the Sox will give Bogey and WMB every chance to succeed at their natural positions before they even consider moving them. Like Drew, Bogey could surprise you. I watched him play a lot in AA and a few games in Pawtucket. His defense has improved a lot. Sure, hes going to have a couple errors, but he should be plenty good enough to stick there. With that said, a guy like Izturis, Holt or the like will be one the Sox radar. Not a starting SS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have only one major concern today re 2014:  catcher.  I'd "overpay" for Salty today if necessary as it's such a crucial position plus I think he still has significant upside.  Catcher is like the drummer in a band i.e. if you don't have a good (defensive) catcher or a good drummer you cannot succeed.

CF worries me a bit....I remain a big Victorino buyer and maybe he can overcome his leg issues to play CF again.....but I think RF is more realistic now.  JBJ?  I share the high hopes, but is he a slam dunk starting CF for the defending champions in the toughest division?

1B - Meh, I never worry about 1B....you can always find one or make one good enough.

LSOTI? - I'd like to re-sign Drew if possible at a reasonable cost within budget.  Midds is not yet a player to rely on, obviously.  Bogaerts looks like a player to rely on but where if not how soon?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

BARMES, not Barnes

[/QUOTE]

I just dont see that happening Moon, although I realize its what you want to happen.

Going into 2014 I think the Sox will give Bogey and WMB every chance to succeed at their natural positions before they even consider moving them. Like Drew, Bogey could surprise you. I watched him play a lot in AA and a few games in Pawtucket. His defense has improved a lot. Sure, hes going to have a couple errors, but he should be plenty good enough to stick there. With that said, a guy like Izturis, Holt or the like will be one the Sox radar. Not a starting SS.

[/QUOTE]

I agree the chances are slimmer than slim we sign or trade for a FT SS.

I hope Bogey improves on defense, but when you read almost every scouting report mention he will likely move to 3B, I read that as code for "he's likely not ever going to be good enough on defense to demand staying at SS". 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I will be shocked if our opening-day line-up in 2014 does NOT have Middlebrooks at third and Bogey at short. After good starting pitching, the next most sought-after commodity in MLB is right-handed power bats. We have been nursing these two along for a few years now and now is not the time to switch gears. We could be looking at a cost-controlled 60 homers per year from our left side of the infield for several years to come; how many teams have that potential? Of course one or both could be busts, but we have to let that opportunity play itself out I believe.

When Ben took over for Theo, I'm sure he envisioned a 2014-2015 and beyond line-up that included Bradley in center at the top of the order, Pedey at 2b, right-left-right middle of the order bats of Bogey, Cecchini and Middlebrooks, and young catchers, Vasquez and Swihart, and then fill in the blanks with free-agents, trades or fast-developing prospects not yet on the horizon. While the 2013 championship was a beautiful and unexpected experience, Ben should not deviate far from that original plan. Build the foundation from within!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I will be shocked if our opening-day line-up in 2014 does NOT have Middlebrooks at third and Bogey at short. After good starting pitching, the next most sought-after commodity in MLB is right-handed power bats. We have been nursing these two along for a few years now and now is not the time to switch gears. We could be looking at a cost-controlled 60 homers per year from our left side of the infield for several years to come; how many teams have that potential? Of course one or both could be busts, but we have to let that opportunity play itself out I believe.

When Ben took over for Theo, I'm sure he envisioned a 2014-2015 and beyond line-up that included Bradley in center at the top of the order, Pedey at 2b, right-left-right middle of the order bats of Bogey, Cecchini and Middlebrooks, and young catchers, Vasquez and Swihart, and then fill in the blanks with free-agents, trades or fast-developing prospects not yet on the horizon. While the 2013 championship was a beautiful and unexpected experience, Ben should not deviate far from that original plan. Build the foundation from within!

[/QUOTE]

Hey jid!

I agree. You have to give both kids a fair chance to succeed or fail at their natural positions. Middy has dealt with 2 injuries. Also, I said at the beginning of the 2013 season that I wished Middy had some competition at 3b because I feared he would do exactly what he did. He was handed the job and got too comfortable much too quickly and he had to be taught a tough lesson. Im hoping this year he understands that he has to fight everyday to keep his job, works on his approach at the plate as well as his defense.

Cecchini should be ready come 2015. That is when we should evaluate the left side of the IF and make some decisions. As for 2014, I would be shocked if WMB and Xander dont start the year at 3b and SS.

Scouts only suggested that Xander might have to move off the position due to growing out of the position, not so much that he wasnt good at SS. Hes 21, so Hes not going to grow anymore, just fill out some. There have been bigger guys stick at SS like Tulo, Hanley, and A-Rod would have if not for Jeter, who is also a big guy at 6'3 and 200lbs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scouts only suggested that Xander might have to move off the position due to growing out of the position, not so much that he wasnt good at SS. Hes 21, so Hes not going to grow anymore, just fill out some. There have been bigger guys stick at SS like Tulo, Hanley, and A-Rod would have if not for Jeter, who is also a big guy at 6'3 and 200lbs.

I have heard the size excuse several times, even recently, but I have heard other reasons as well. soxprospects.com still has this written about him:

Plus arm.  Solid-average range, but may lose footspeed as he gets bigger.  Needs to slow the game down defensively and resist the feeling to rush plays. Inconsistent with footwork and staying down on the ball.  Choppy at times with his movements and reactions.Improvements in the field and physical development should allow Bogaerts to stick at shortstop for the outset of his big league career. If he needs to move off the position, has the tools to play either third base or left field.

And, this from Chris Hatfield:

After the 2011 season, the scouting consensus was that Bogaerts would need to move off short as he got bigger and filled out his 6-foot-3 frame. As 2012 wore on, while it was not a sure thing that he could stick up the middle, he showed signs that he might be able to stay at short to start his career, which combined with the prodigious power he displayed, made him one of the top prospects in the game....

...he has also steadily improved defensively and will be able to stick at shortstop for the foreseeable future. At 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, Bogaerts has filled out since he entered the system, but he has not lost any athleticism. He has plenty of arm for the position, showing plus in game action. He has soft hands and solid range to either side. The area where he could still use improvement comes with his footwork, which can get sloppy at times. He still does not gain ground all that well on the ball, preferring to stay back and wait for a perfect hop, and he has some trouble throwing on the run. His reads at the position are improving, but his first step is still a little slow and with only average foot speed, he does not have the ability to recover. These are small issues, but in combination they hold him back from projecting as a plus-to-better shortstop. Even with that in mind, with his bat and the ability to play average to solid-average defense at a premium defensive position, you have the makings of a potential superstar. – Ian Cundall

His mannerisms and dealings with people give an impression of a young man who is supremely confident in his abilities, but not flashy or arrogant. His ability to succeed in whatever role given to him in the playoffs this year was the latest and perhaps greatest example of his drive, mental toughness, and talent. Bogaerts should be written in pen in the 2014 big-league lineup, though which position on the left side of the infield he plays will be largely determined by roster composition. – Jon Meoli

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wow! How about that Tiger trade.

Miggy's need to play 1B made it happen.

I'm surprised some yahoos haven't called for Ben's resignation for allowing "Prince to slip through our fingers"...

LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It seemed clear that Detroit was shopping Fielder all off season. $216 mil for that guy? Did Jon Daniels watch the World Series?

All that said, Fielder probably is a 40 HR guy in Texas and no doubt that is huge for them. But at a tremendous cost in available cash going forward. I think Detroit got the best of that deal before it is through. Texas might have the advantage for a couple years.

It' amazing how fast it happened but I think it was a fire sale. And I don't necessarily think Cabrera comes back to 1st. They could go to Martinez at 1st a lot and open up the DH slot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Cechinni is so freaking good I think they need to include him in their calculations. The best OBP in all the minors last year at any level? Wow!

He may well be a guy they want in the lineup even 1/2 the way through the year. A definite September call up. He may not have a whole lot left to learn in the minors. Would it kill us to slot him in LF or at 1st? At some point in the year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

Could Bogaerts be the leadoff hitter?  This is what I'm wondering.  Because I feel like he will be more involved this coming season.  And I'm trying to picture where he fits.  I kind of view him as that type of guy.  We know Ellsbury handles this well.  But if he leaves, what is our best option?  Could be Victorino.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

I have heard the size excuse several times, even recently, but I have heard other reasons as well. soxprospects.com still has this written about him:

Plus arm.  Solid-average range, but may lose footspeed as he gets bigger.  Needs to slow the game down defensively and resist the feeling to rush plays. Inconsistent with footwork and staying down on the ball.  Choppy at times with his movements and reactions.Improvements in the field and physical development should allow Bogaerts to stick at shortstop for the outset of his big league career. If he needs to move off the position, has the tools to play either third base or left field.

After the 2011 season, the scouting consensus was that Bogaerts would need to move off short as he got bigger and filled out his 6-foot-3 frame. As 2012 wore on, while it was not a sure thing that he could stick up the middle, he showed signs that he might be able to stay at short to start his career, which combined with the prodigious power he displayed, made him one of the top prospects in the game....

...he has also steadily improved defensively and will be able to stick at shortstop for the foreseeable future. At 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, Bogaerts has filled out since he entered the system, but he has not lost any athleticism. He has plenty of arm for the position, showing plus in game action. He has soft hands and solid range to either side. The area where he could still use improvement comes with his footwork, which can get sloppy at times. He still does not gain ground all that well on the ball, preferring to stay back and wait for a perfect hop, and he has some trouble throwing on the run. His reads at the position are improving, but his first step is still a little slow and with only average foot speed, he does not have the ability to recover. These are small issues, but in combination they hold him back from projecting as a plus-to-better shortstop. Even with that in mind, with his bat and the ability to play average to solid-average defense at a premium defensive position, you have the makings of a potential superstar. – Ian Cundall

His mannerisms and dealings with people give an impression of a young man who is supremely confident in his abilities, but not flashy or arrogant. His ability to succeed in whatever role given to him in the playoffs this year was the latest and perhaps greatest example of his drive, mental toughness, and talent. Bogaerts should be written in pen in the 2014 big-league lineup, though which position on the left side of the infield he plays will be largely determined by roster composition. – Jon Meoli

[/QUOTE]

The one thing that most all agree on about Boegarts is his attitude and work ethic. This is probably the biggest reason the RS have resisted moving him from the position. Even when he came up last yr most players on the team raved about his attitude, was not cocky despite all the hype. While I don't think there will be any Gold Gloves in the future [unless he gets Jeter treatment from the media] should be a competant fielding SS w/ a plus bat for many yrs for RS. I've said from day 1, I'm perfectly willling to start yr w/ Boegarts at SS; WMB @ 3B; and JBJ in CF. Believe they're ready to be building blocks for next RS WS team. WMB scares me the most, while he will never be an OB machine 30 Hr's 90 rbi's are good enough for me. If his recent slump wasn't due to wrist injury, Cecchini waiting in the wings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mattc355's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Could Bogaerts be the leadoff hitter?  This is what I'm wondering.  Because I feel like he will be more involved this coming season.  And I'm trying to picture where he fits.  I kind of view him as that type of guy.  We know Ellsbury handles this well.  But if he leaves, what is our best option?  Could be Victorino.

[/QUOTE]

I think we start the year with Victorino leading off, Pedey 2nd, and I am hoping that Papi bats 3rd followed by a solid clean-up guy we don't have yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The one thing that most all agree on about Boegarts is his attitude and work ethic. This is probably the biggest reason the RS have resisted moving him from the position. Even when he came up last yr most players on the team raved about his attitude, was not cocky despite all the hype. While I don't think there will be any Gold Gloves in the future [unless he gets Jeter treatment from the media] should be a competant fielding SS w/ a plus bat for many yrs for RS. I've said from day 1, I'm perfectly willling to start yr w/ Boegarts at SS; WMB @ 3B; and JBJ in CF. Believe they're ready to be building blocks for next RS WS team. WMB scares me the most, while he will never be an OB machine 30 Hr's 90 rbi's are good enough for me. If his recent slump wasn't due to wrist injury, Cecchini waiting in the wings.

I'm pumped up on Bogey.  I'll be okay with him at SS, but prefer 3B.

If Middy can keep his OBP at .300 and hit 30/90, as well as improve his fielding from 2013, we'll be fine on the left side.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Then there are these comments (in red and underlined). Basically Everyone has seen the improvements, love his makup, and yes, the possibility is there but not nearly like it was 2 years ago. Most believe he CAN stick at SS. If not the long term, then certainly the forseeable future.

This is why I would put $$ on this kid sticking at SS. Sure he proved he could play 3b, but thats more to do with the last line I underlined rather than being he cant play SS. Xander should be the Sox SS for at least the next few years, and Id put money on it. Thats why I dont even entertain him at 3b next year. Then add Middy to the mix and Its just not realistic that Xander is playing 3b next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mattc355's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Id say Bogey is a #3 or 4 hitter (maybe not in 2014 though). Cecchini is a solid 2-3 hitter as well. I believe they are hoping JBJ can eventually be a leadoff hitter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Then there are these comments (in red and underlined). Basically Everyone has seen the improvements, love his makup, and yes, the possibility is there but not nearly like it was 2 years ago. Most believe he CAN stick at SS. If not the long term, then certainly the forseeable future.

This is why I would put $$ on this kid sticking at SS. Sure he proved he could play 3b, but thats more to do with the last line I underlined rather than being he cant play SS. Xander should be the Sox SS for at least the next few years, and Id put money on it. Thats why I dont even entertain him at 3b next year. Then add Middy to the mix and Its just not realistic that Xander is playing 3b next year.

[/QUOTE]

I think he may become an average defensive SS (#12-18 out of 30), but doubt he ever gets to top 10. I'd be happy if he gets to #12, but my philosophy is to try and get a top 5 defensive  SS, but I realize roster make-up dictates what can be or not be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon et al, I don't think Beltran is the right guy at this point.  I was reading your views two pages back.  A plus that his power would be away from first base, but as you infer his age and ability tie up the other two outfield slots.  Last winter you were talking about building the team to be competitive in 2014 and 2015 and beyond.  I think we have all the resources and depth at the major and minor league to go get Stanton, a type of guy we don't have on the farm.  I think he's the only guy on my wish list this offseason.  He's a great young player with power who would help us for ten years, and I've read he has a good attitude.  

Polly want a Stanton, Polly want a Stanton.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, I think you're only so-so on Stanton.  But could I ask a favor of you 'cause I'm not so good at this.  IF we had him, in how many ways would his presense improve the team?  I don't have any preconceived notions, but I know you're big on this idea with pitchers.  And of course, I would be ok with any ways you envision he would not improve the team in the interest of fair reporting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, I think you're only so-so on Stanton.  But could I ask a favor of you 'cause I'm not so good at this.  IF we had him, in how many ways would his presense improve the team?  I don't have any preconceived notions, but I know you're big on this idea with pitchers.  And of course, I would be ok with any ways you envision he would not improve the team in the interest of fair reporting.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I am very high on Stanton, but I think giving up 5 of our top prospects (not Bogey) would crush our future.

He also is probably best in LF, so we'd have to trade Nava or make him a 1Bman.

I don't think it works for us,

Sections
Shortcuts