A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What about Kuroda?

[/QUOTE]

He'll sign with the Yankees or return to Japan.  He'll be 39 when the season starts.  He's not some young pup mercenary ready to go wherever the big payday is. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Signing Tanaka makes the most sense under this challenge. It allows us to trade Dempster and Peavy and actually improve our rotation while saving luxury tax budget money. Let's say we keep Dempster for middle and long relief...

How's this:

Trade Peavy & Lava for C Hanigan & RHP Alfredo Simon: save ~$10M.

Remaining winter spending budget: ~$40M

Sign: 

$12M x 5 Tanaka (Best player for luxury tax numbers)

There is no way Reds would be interested in Peavy. They are already letting Arroyo walk and he's been one of there best pitchers and a close personal friend of the owner, because they need to free up $ for other players due large $ increases. RS would have to pay nearly all the salary so there would be no savings on payroll.

The posting fee for Tanaka is projected at $60-70 million.  With the contract you suggested that would make the total cost $120-130 million for 5 years - an average of $24 million-$26 million.

Saving the luxury tax is nice but the posting fee is real money too.

[/QUOTE]

Understood, and it's less money than any luxury tax might be, but I like Tanaka a lot, and the ability to trade peavy for a cheap option like Hanigan saves us $6-14M at the catcher slot (compared to signing McCann, Ruiz or Salty).

[/QUOTE]

Again very questionalble motives. Are the RS really interested in a player who will cost them in the neighborhood of 21-25 mil per after the Dice K experiment? Think the RS have learned there lesson w/ long term commitments at huge per yr costs. Seems Japanese pitchers are a 50-50 proposition for every Nomo / Darvish, there is a Dice K / Igawa / Irabu. Remember Uhehara came over as a starter to but found his niche in the pen. Great gamble of huge $ for a player who might be next Darvish for a position we all agree is a strength on RS. Seems RS could spend $ alot better than this. This sounds like signing Josh Hamilton last off season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'd be surprised to find the Sox have any serious interest in the Tanaka sweepstakes.  It just doesn't fit with their current modus operandi.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Carp / Morse  at $5 mil / year"

Wrong.
    Morse cost almost 7M this year and Carp will cost about 1-2M in his 1st arb year in 2014. The two will cost about 10M for 2014, not 5M.

Then consider you will probably have to give Morse a 2-3 year deal at between 7-10M per. Although since he couldnt even reach a .700OPS, he might come cheaper. Bugt then again, why would you want a 700OPS 1bman?

I was talking about added cost. We are already paying Carp. And I showed you above that Morse put up about the same OPS numbers as your guy ( Hart ) over the last 3 years but you cite his injury year anyway. That's rather disengenuous.  But my guy supposedly stinks but will still cost more than he made last year, after his worst year in 4 years?

The bottom line is I don't know how you sign Salty, Ellsbury and Hart and whoever else you need and stay under budget. I am at least under budget. Are you? 

[/QUOTE]

Kuroda for 20M? completely unrealistic since its a know fact its either Japan or NYY.

I said Trade Peavy -14M. sign Salty at 9M, Hart for 10M, and Ells for 18M. thats 23M. Leaves us about 10 to spare. If your going to try to discredit me at least Pay attention so not to make yourself look foolish.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What about Kuroda?

[/QUOTE]

He'll sign with the Yankees or return to Japan.  He'll be 39 when the season starts.  He's not some young pup mercenary ready to go wherever the big payday is. 

I was told only an idiot didn't see Kuroda as the best thing since chocolate met p. butter. He is an animal, a messiah.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wrong.
    Morse cost almost 7M this year and Carp will cost about 1-2M in his 1st arb year in 2014. The two will cost about 10M for 2014, not 5M.

Then consider you will probably have to give Morse a 2-3 year deal at between 7-10M per. Although since he couldnt even reach a .700OPS, he might come cheaper. Bugt then again, why would you want a 700OPS 1bman?

[/QUOTE]

I was talking about added cost. We are already paying Carp. And I showed you above that Morse put up about the same OPS numbers as your guy ( Hart ) over the last 3 years but you cite his injury year anyway. That's rather disengenuous.  But my guy supposedly stinks but will still cost more than he made last year, after his worst year in 4 years?

The bottom line is I don't know how you sign Salty, Ellsbury and Hart and whoever else you need and stay under budget. I am at least under budget. Are you? 

[/QUOTE]

Kuroda for 20M? completely unrealistic since its a know fact its either Japan or NYY.

I said Trade Peavy -14M. sign Salty at 9M, Hart for 10M, and Ells for 18M. thats 23M. Leaves us about 10 to spare. If your going to try to discredit me at least Pay attention so not to make yourself look foolish.

[/QUOTE]

It's a known fact that Kuroda made $15 mil last year. If we offered him $20 mil it's a known fact that if he is like most players he would strongly consider it. He moved from LA didn't he for more money. And if we do that it just makes the Yanks pay him more to sign him if he ends up going that way. Try to follow.

He's a fall back from Tanaka. If you'd rather spend your money on guys like Salty and Hart that's your call. I'd take Kuroda over them in a heartbeat. In my scenario I replace Peavy with a Kuroda or Tanaka. You replace him with your new scenario ( yes, your new scenario ) with nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

What is so difficult for you guys to not get? Tanaka at 24-0 last year and a 1.27 ERA. Doesn't cost us a draft pick. Best splitter on the planet. Think Koji in a new league where no one has seen him before. The guy will be lights out. 

We can't nickle and dime everywhere. The best policy is to save our pennies and be value shoppers but every once in a while buy a stud when it looks like he is a huge factor in winning a world championship. We play to win. No player is guaranteed for success but in case you haven't noticed there have been a lot of Asian pitchers recently who have had huge success. They are not even as risky as American players at this point. Look at Peavy. The best pitcher in baseball. Signs a big deal and is never the same eventually. Sabathia was a stud. Look at him now. You can go through baseball. Pitchers who were studs who became duds, even with big contracts, but do you pass on a guy who might just win you a world series as your #1 in 2 years? He's the Japanese equivalent of Pedro. 24-0 guys. Pull the freaking trigger.

Some of you guys are talking about signing Ellsbury at 31. Why not take the same money, which doesn't cost us a pick, and over half of which doesn't count against the cap, and spend it on Tanaka at age 26. Hello. Is anyone home? Are you sentient at all?

Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Wrong.

[/QUOTE]

No one is giving Mike Morse a 3 year deal for $10mill.  That's an awful lot of money for a sub-.800OPS and a player who has not really been very good since 2011.

If some team does meet those demands, they will regret it, and regret it fast...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wrong.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a known fact that Kuroda made $15 mil last year. If we offered him $20 mil it's a known fact that if he is like most players he would strongly consider it. He moved from LA didn't he for more money. And if we do that it just makes the Yanks pay him more to sign him if he ends up going that way. Try to follow.

He's a fall back from Tanaka. If you'd rather spend your money on guys like Salty and Hart that's your call. I'd take Kuroda over them in a heartbeat. In my scenario I replace Peavy with a Kuroda or Tanaka. You replace him with your new scenario ( yes, your new scenario ) with nothing.

[/QUOTE]

A couple of things, here.  The only reason Kuroda left the Dodgers was because their ownership was a mess and they were trying to figure out a way to be able to sign him.  Ned Coletti was never able to make a formal offer and he didn't want to wait any longer.  He said that he decided it was either go home to play for the Carp or join the Yankees because of their history & tradition.  He has also never won a championship at any level & he felt the Yankees provided him that opportunity, plus they offered a no-trade clause.  "Comfort" is very important to him & he wouldn't want to change teams mid-season, which is why he always exercised his no-trade clause with LA.  So again, as many have tried to explain to you, he is not signing with the Red Sox, even if they "offered him 5 million more," as they did last year.  There is ZERO chance he pitches for the Sox next year...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

What about Kuroda?

[/QUOTE]

do you really want to give up a draft pick for a pitcher approaching 40? who showed signs of slowing down towards the end of the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wrong.

[/QUOTE]

No one is giving Mike Morse a 3 year deal for $10mill.  That's an awful lot of money for a sub-.800OPS and a player who has not really been very good since 2011.

If some team does meet those demands, they will regret it, and regret it fast...

[/QUOTE]

Another reason I dont sign him over Hart if those were my 2 choices.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

n response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wrong.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So what exactly was my "old" scinario?

Kuroda isnt an upgrade except in money spent. Its a lateral move for more money. That, and hes not a realistic option. Tanaka yes, but I just dont see the Sox making a serious play for him.
    We offerd Kuroda 18+M I believe. I think I heard rumors of 2 years as well. Makles sense since we got Demp for 2 afterwards. He was 38, at the end of his career and didnt need the money. He wanted to go where he wanted to go. Not all players run for the money. See Longoria, Pedey.

Listen. I disagree with people on here, but I am respectful about it. Me and Moon have had a few heated battles as well as a few more posters. We all still talk here because they know Im not into the name calling and all that. When I make my point/opinion I try and use facts, numbers, some inside info I have access to, and my overall knowledge of the game. I like a debate. I enjoy that. But when I disagree with you you seem to get all snarky. Whys that Boom? You say stuff like "take our heads out of the sand" and talk as if your plan is the only valid one.

I never said Morse stinks. I actually stated that I had no problem with him, just didnt want him. I stated his BA was 200 last year. Its was. Show me where I said he stinks. Maybe we can buy low or maybe its the start of a downward trend. Both viable possibilities, Id go with downward trend. Dont put words in my mouth. You stated Morse and Carp will cost 5M. Thats not true. Morse made 6.75M last year alone and Carp is due around 1-1.5M. Figure in Carps and Morses slight raise and your around what Id give Hart, 10M. We wouldnt have to commit years to him and could possibly get a comp pick when he leaves. Its worked well for us so far. Is that NOT a good idea?

I told you Im not a big fan of a lot of platoons like you and Moon are. I dont believe in moving everyone around to different position like this is little league, especially young player like Xander and WMB.Im optinionated and respectful. I expect the same. If I disagree with someone, I will always have a valid arguement. We can disagree without getting snarky. Just because it doesnt go along with your, doesnt mean its a bad idea and doesnt mean you can twist things to make you look good and TRY to make me look bad with your whole "I am at least under budget. Are you?" and "Are you sentient at all?" BS. Talk about rubbing people the wrong way just because they dont agree with you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wrong.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another reason I dont sign him over Hart if those were my 2 choices.

[/QUOTE]

Morse is probably left avoided.  A player like Hart on a one year "value rebuilder" is possible, as, unlike Morse, Hart has actual value to rebuild.  He is not very likely to hit the ground running and start rebuilding his value right away.  And that is a concern, but not one for this particular discussion.

Hart represents a player trying to get back to where he was.  Morse represents a player hoping he can relive his one season of glory...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think someone is going to overpay for Napoli, and as much as I like him if he's striking out a ton now then one could only speculate that as he gets into his mid-later 30's it's only going to get worse. 

Personally I think we should make a strong push for Corey Hart, even overpay for one year and give more Carp at bats vs. RHP. (at first base and OF) 

If everything works out, we could end up netting a pick from him as well.  These type of deals seem to work out more often than not. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Understood, and it's less money than any luxury tax might be, but I like Tanaka a lot, and the ability to trade peavy for a cheap option like Hanigan saves us $6-14M at the catcher slot (compared to signing McCann, Ruiz or Salty).

[/QUOTE]

Again very questionalble motives. Are the RS really interested in a player who will cost them in the neighborhood of 21-25 mil per after the Dice K experiment? Think the RS have learned there lesson w/ long term commitments at huge per yr costs. Seems Japanese pitchers are a 50-50 proposition for every Nomo / Darvish, there is a Dice K / Igawa / Irabu. Remember Uhehara came over as a starter to but found his niche in the pen. Great gamble of huge $ for a player who might be next Darvish for a position we all agree is a strength on RS. Seems RS could spend $ alot better than this. This sounds like signing Josh Hamilton last off season.

I agree, it is not very likely, but if we sign him to about $80M/7 at his age, the risk is not as great as Dice-K IMO. That would make the total cost to Henry of about $140M/7. That's a lot, but this guy seems to be the real deal. At today's prices, I think that is pretty low, and the added advanatge of only being about $11M/yr off the luxury budget.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I told you Im not a big fan of a lot of platoons like you and Moon are. I dont believe in moving everyone around to different position like this is little league, especially young player like Xander and WMB.Im optinionated and respectful.

I'd prefer to not platoon or move players between positions during a season, but the Nava/Gomes LF platoon is a nice one that is also cot effective while providing injury insurance and depth.

The Salty/Ross platoon was essential due to salty's horrific numbers vs LHPs.

The only other possible platoon I envision for next year might be 1B, if we don't sign anyone big.

I do not want to jerk kids around, but I do feel like Bogey's ultimate landing spot should be 3B. I like having super plus fielding SSs, but realize it may not always be practical, especially since we have Middy and Cecchini at 3B for the near and far future.

With an opening at 1B this winter, I see an opportunity to make the moves now. I am 99.9% sure it won't happen, but it makes some sense to me.  Find a cheap great fielding SS, move Bogey to 3B, Middy to 1B, and the flexibility they provide in case of emergency or struggles is a big value. Carp could play some 1B and LF, but I'd try not to flip Bogey and Middy around during a season. I understan it's hard enough to learn the ML level without added distractions, but I think it makes our team stronger, and the sooner Bogey learns 3B- the better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think someone is going to overpay for Napoli, and as much as I like him if he's striking out a ton now then one could only speculate that as he gets into his mid-later 30's it's only going to get worse. 

Personally I think we should make a strong push for Corey Hart, even overpay for one year and give more Carp at bats vs. RHP. (at first base and OF) 

If everything works out, we could end up netting a pick from him as well.  These type of deals seem to work out more often than not. 

[/QUOTE]

Hart has had some very good years. I like his upside. 

K's don't bother me at all, as long as the OBP is high enough or the SLG% makes up for a .320-.335 OBP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Morse is pretty much the same player as Hart at a lower cost. And Hart expects to be the starter. I showed you that Morse's OPS was actually better than Hart's except for the injury year last year when he hurt his wrist and had other physical issues. It's not like Hart has a clean bill of health either. To me both have potential of reestablishing their value and Morse is probably cheaper. I see no reason to think Morse will be on the downward slide any more than Hart.

It's no big deal either way but trust me, I'm not any more snarky about things than you are expitch.  I'd rather not spend our time arguing ok.

Today they had an interesting report on mlbtraderumors regarding these issues like what to do at 1st ...etc:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/red-sox-notes-shortthird-starters-catcher-market-napoli.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

In the article Napoli was projected at 4 years and $68 mil. I don't want to go there. I'd rather a trade for a guy like Billy Butler or do a Morse ( or Hart ) short term deal with Carp. I prefer Morse as he should be cheaper and more willing to be the secondary guy to Carp as compared to Hart.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hart has had some very good years. I like his upside. 

K's don't bother me at all, as long as the OBP is high enough or the SLG% makes up for a .320-.335 OBP.

[/QUOTE]

K's don't bother me either...but as a player slows down it can really start to hurt.  Perhaps I don't give Napoli enough credit, the ability to draw walks and hit the occasional HR does seem to age better than other tools such as speed that really is not part of his game (on the base paths or on defense) at all. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What about Kuroda?

[/QUOTE]

do you really want to give up a draft pick for a pitcher approaching 40? who showed signs of slowing down towards the end of the season.

[/QUOTE]

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Luchino said in the interview that sometimes long term deals are needed and that they do have to keep an open mind in that regard. Which is what I have been saying also.

And they started the article implying strongly that they would be very careful in any long term deals at catcher. Read between the lines in the article and it says:

1) No Salty

2) Possible long term deal somewhere, at some position

Which absolutely makes sense to me. What I'm seeing is a ton of high regard for Swihart in the organization. The same sort of thing they thought about Westmoreland even at the lower levels. They think Swihart is for real and I think so also. He's 2 years away. No long term deals for a starting catcher are on the horizon. Say your good byes to Salty now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I am absolutely aware that Kuroda probably signs with the Yanks. OK, 

OK!

I get it. That doesn't mean I don't make a play for him though. A one year deal with one of the top pitchers in the game which actually hurts our biggest competitor when they need starting pitching badly is GOOD STRATEGY, even if we don't sign him. He wants to play for a world champion? I know just the place. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Morse is pretty much the same player as Hart at a lower cost. And Hart expects to be the starter. I showed you that Morse's OPS was actually better than Hart's except for the injury year last year when he hurt his wrist and had other physical issues. It's not like Hart has a clean bill of health either. To me both have potential of reestablishing their value and Morse is probably cheaper. I see no reason to think Morse will be on the downward slide any more than Hart.

It's no big deal either way but trust me, I'm not any more snarky about things than you are expitch.  I'd rather not spend our time arguing ok.

Today they had an interesting report on mlbtraderumors regarding these issues like what to do at 1st ...etc:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/red-sox-notes-shortthird-starters-catcher-market-napoli.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

In the article Napoli was projected at 4 years and $68 mil. I don't want to go there. I'd rather a trade for a guy like Billy Butler or do a Morse ( or Hart ) short term deal with Carp. I prefer Morse as he should be cheaper and more willing to be the secondary guy to Carp as compared to Hart.

[/QUOTE]

Its amazingingly arrogant and so self righteous of you to still think Im ex. Thank you for the compliment though, because he knows his baseball. much more than you will ever know. seeing that hes in California and Im in NH makes that hard as well. But hey, you keep on thinking that if it makes ya feel better about yourself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I told you Im not a big fan of a lot of platoons like you and Moon are. I dont believe in moving everyone around to different position like this is little league, especially young player like Xander and WMB.Im optinionated and respectful.

I'd prefer to not platoon or move players between positions during a season, but the Nava/Gomes LF platoon is a nice one that is also cot effective while providing injury insurance and depth.

The Salty/Ross platoon was essential due to salty's horrific numbers vs LHPs.

The only other possible platoon I envision for next year might be 1B, if we don't sign anyone big.

I do not want to jerk kids around, but I do feel like Bogey's ultimate landing spot should be 3B. I like having super plus fielding SSs, but realize it may not always be practical, especially since we have Middy and Cecchini at 3B for the near and far future.

With an opening at 1B this winter, I see an opportunity to make the moves now. I am 99.9% sure it won't happen, but it makes some sense to me.  Find a cheap great fielding SS, move Bogey to 3B, Middy to 1B, and the flexibility they provide in case of emergency or struggles is a big value. Carp could play some 1B and LF, but I'd try not to flip Bogey and Middy around during a season. I understan it's hard enough to learn the ML level without added distractions, but I think it makes our team stronger, and the sooner Bogey learns 3B- the better.

[/QUOTE]

Have faith Moon. Bogey will turn out to be a very good SS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I am absolutely aware that Kuroda probably signs with the Yanks. OK, 

OK!

I get it. That doesn't mean I don't make a play for him though. A one year deal with one of the top pitchers in the game which actually hurts our biggest competitor when they need starting pitching badly is GOOD STRATEGY, even if we don't sign him. He wants to play for a world champion? I know just the place. 

[/QUOTE]

No, you dont get it. He only wants to play in NY or Japan. It doesnt matter what we offer him. There is no strategy here. Its not an option. what is wrong with you? is it that hard to understand?

Sections
Shortcuts