A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

How about Lavarnway, Brentz and Barnes for Jason Castro?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think you've ranked them pretty well Moon. I personally have not been a supporter of the Ball drafting ( I think I said NWIH they draft Ball! ) but I hope to God I'm wrong. He's a high upside , high risk draftee. We have no idea what happens there. We will see.

DeLarosa is post prospect at this time. He had some mlb time a couple years ago. 

All those guys you listed have value Moon. What a great position to be in. The Redsox are like a dream right now. Lots of things going right.

Which is all the more reason to put the pedal to the floor now. With a Japanese porsche named Tanaka. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Which is all the more reason to put the pedal to the floor now. With a Japanese porsche named Tanaka. 

Yeah, a 120 million porsche, with no test drive. :-) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think you've ranked them pretty well Moon. I personally have not been a supporter of the Ball drafting ( I think I said NWIH they draft Ball! ) but I hope to God I'm wrong. He's a high upside , high risk draftee. We have no idea what happens there. We will see.

DeLarosa is post prospect at this time. He had some mlb time a couple years ago. 

All those guys you listed have value Moon. What a great position to be in. The Redsox are like a dream right now. Lots of things going right.

de la Rosa was listed on the top prospects list this summer, and he is not listed on the post prospect list either.

Imagine the prospect list after 3-4 draft picks in the top 40 or so this spring.

Of course, Bogey will become a post prospect and Workman, Britton and maybe others as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm fine with dealing a few kids, especially blocked ones.

I agree with the ones you want to keep. My list of those I'd try hard to keep goes like this:

A+ Bogey & Owens

A  Cecchini, Ranaudo & Swihart

A- JBJ, Betts, T Ball

B+  Workman

B Vazquez, Barnes

B- Britton, Webster

I could see putting Cecchini at A+ and maybe JBJ & Betts at A. Workman could also be under-rated here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we did absolutely nothing this winter, this would likely be our 2014 team:

1) Victorino RF

2) Nava/Gomes LF

3) Pedey 2B

4) Ortiz DH

5) Carp 1B/Middy 3B

6) Bogey SS

7) Middy 3B/Carp 1B

8) Lava/Ross C

9) JBJ CF

Utility: (1: Holt or Snyder)

SP: Lester, Buch, Lack, Peavy, Doub, Demp

RP: Uehara, Bres, Taz, Workman, Morales, Badenhop, (1: Britton or Miller)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

It's really astounding thinking where we were one year ago.  It seems like at this moment in time the RS have as many resources as I can remember.  We may have four open slots but our decisions are not as easy as I thought one month ago.  These decisions may be about the next ten years as opposed to "next year."  I hope BC knows how to evaluate young talent because trading away the wrong guy could haunt us.  Who was that 3rd baseman we sent to --Houston?--when we had Boggs and he was a hr leader in the NL for years?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

It's really astounding thinking where we were one year ago.  It seems like at this moment in time the RS have as many resources as I can remember.  We may have four open slots but our decisions are not as easy as I thought one month ago.  These decisions may be about the next ten years as opposed to "next year."  I hope BC knows how to evaluate young talent because trading away the wrong guy could haunt us.  Who was that 3rd baseman we sent to --Houston?--when we had Boggs and he was a hr leader in the NL for years?  

Jeff Bagwell, who is on this year's hall-of-fame ballot. That is the price you sometimes pay for a "win now" attitude. We got Larry Anderson for Bagwell and we made the playoffs but we lost a potential hall-of-famer in the process. After last season I can honestlt say I trust Ben to make the right decisions, not just for 2014, but beyond as well. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

In response to jcri's comment:

Jeff Bagwell, who is on this year's hall-of-fame ballot. That is the price you sometimes pay for a "win now" attitude. We got Larry Anderson for Bagwell and we made the playoffs but we lost a potential hall-of-famer in the process. After last season I can honestlt say I trust Ben to make the right decisions, not just for 2014, but beyond as well. 

Did we even think of moving Bagwell to 1B?

I seriously doubt Brentz or Middy will come close to Bagwell's numbers, but I would think about moving Middy or Cecchini to 1B, if we don't trade one soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This could be the Pawtucket  roster by August:

C: Vazquez/Swihart/Butler (Lavarnway)

1B: Snyder/Almanzar/T Shaw

2B: Betts/Coyle

SS: Marrero/Holt/Meneses

3B: Cecchini/McCoy (Almanzar)

LF: Hassan/ de la Cruz/Vitek

CF: Kalish/ H Ramos

RF: Brentz/Castellanos

DH: Lavarnway

SP: Webster, Ranaudo, Owens, Barnes, Hinojosa/Wright

RP: de la Rosa, A Wilson, Villareal, C Martin, C Hernandez, T Layne, N Ramirez

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I agree with the ones you want to keep. My list of those I'd try hard to keep goes like this:

A+ Bogey & Owens

A- JBJ, Betts, T Ball

B+  Workman

B Vazquez, Barnes

B- Britton, Webster

I could see putting Cecchini at A+ and maybe JBJ & Betts at A. Workman could also be under-rated here.

Interesting... Marlins inquired about Cecchini this week. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This team might not even end up with the worst ML record if forced to play at that level all 2014.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

This team might not even end up with the worst ML record if forced to play at that level all 2014.

Ha! I think you'd be right about that. :) cool perspective. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Ha! I think you'd be right about that. :) cool perspective. 

Now, if you added Bogey, JBJ, Workman, and Britton...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Found this article very informative...Alex Speier is my favorite writer.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/11/28/depth-charge-can-red-sox-recreate-formula-brou

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here is the Sox team that will still be under team control in 2016:

C: Vazquez/Swihart/Denny (Lavarnway)

1B: Carp/Snyder/Almanzar/T Shaw/Longhi

2B: Pedroia/Betts/Rijo/Coyle

SS: Bogaerts/Marrero/Holt/Meneses/Lin

3B: Middlebrooks/Cecchini/ (Almanzar)/Devers

LF: Nava/Hassan/ de la Cruz/Vitek

CF: Bradley/Kalish/ H Ramos

RF: Brentz/Castellanos/Margot

SP: Buchholz, Doubront, Webster, Ranaudo, Owens, Barnes, Hinojosa, T Ball, B Johnson, L Diaz, 

Buttrey, Callahan, Kukuk, Mercedes, Gomez, Light, McGrath, Smith

Plus draft picks this year and next.

RP: Tazawa, Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, A Wilson, Villareal, C Martin, C Hernandez, T Layne, N Ramirez

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Noe Ramirez had a decent AFL performance the other day. Striking out the side in one inning of relief during the championship game. He seems to be underated to me. The stuff isn't great but he's deceptive as heck maybe?

The Spanish Koji!

If the Marlins could put a "for sale" sign on the back of every player they would. Cechinni is a good "investment" and they know it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Noe Ramirez had a decent AFL performance the other day. Striking out the side in one inning of relief during the championship game. He seems to be underated to me. The stuff isn't great but he's deceptive as heck maybe?

The Spanish Koji!

If the Marlins could put a "for sale" sign on the back of every player they would. Cechinni is a good "investment" and they know it.

Ive liked Noe Ramirez. Not flashy, but someone to keep an eye on the next couple years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Was Jose Iglesias the only player (or Boston farmhand) to lose his prospect* status after entering the 2013 season as a Red Sox prospect?

The Red Sox farm system witnessed some fine individual performances this season, but the farm's ranking among other franchises was bolstered as well by its relative lack of graduated prospects. Highly regarded farm systems in Minnesota, Florida and Seattle suffered attrition with the graduations of at least eight prospects apiece. The Sox could face attritrion in 2014 if Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Allen Webster, Brandon Workman, Drake Britton and/or Christian Vazquez emerge.

* a widely held definition of a prospect is a player who at the MLB level has not exceeded 130 at-bats, 50 innings pitched or, before Sept. 1, 45 days of MLB service.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Was Jose Iglesias the only player (or Boston farmhand) to lose his prospect* status after entering the 2013 season as a Red Sox prospect?

The Red Sox farm system witnessed some fine individual performances this season, but the farm's ranking among other franchises was bolstered as well by its relative lack of graduated prospects. Highly regarded farm systems in Minnesota, Florida and Seattle suffered attrition with the graduations of at least eight prospects apiece. The Sox could face attritrion in 2014 if Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Allen Webster, Brandon Workman, Drake Britton and/or Christian Vazquez emerge.

* a widely held definition of a prospect is a player who at the MLB level has not exceeded 130 at-bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 days of MLB service before Sept. 1.

soxprospects.com no longer has de la Rosa listed as a prospect or post prospect. I wrote Mike Andrews, and he responded that they do not place 40 man roster players on their post prospect list during the off season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

* a widely held definition of a prospect is a player who at the MLB level has not exceeded 130 at-bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 days of MLB service before Sept. 1.

soxprospects.com no longer has de la Rosa listed as a prospect or post prospect. I wrote Mike Andrews, and he responded that they do not place 40 man roster players on their post prospect list during the off season.

Rubby de la Rosa did not enter the 2013 season with prospect status because the righthander had already accumulated 61.1 innings at the MLB level:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/delarru01.shtml

SoxProspects at times ignores* the widely held definition of a prospect.

* See Prospect Eligibility halfway down the left column: http://www.soxprospects.com/about.htm#Grades

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

A+ Bogey & Owens

A- JBJ, Betts, T Ball

B+  Workman

B Vazquez, Barnes

B- Britton, Webster

IMO would rate Barnes as equal or possibly higher than Raunado. Barnes did struggle early last year [command of offspead], but not nearly as bad as Raunado did in 2012. Both reached AAA the same yr and Barnes is younger. Barnes did pitch 5.1 ip 3 hits 0 runs final start at AAA, to complete strong 2nd half. Good problem to have? probably splitting the hairs w/ 2 good young RHP starters w/ bright futures. But seem many have kind of forgotten about Barnes IMO, who was rated even higher than Owens or Raunado to start yr, but because of slow start seems not getting alot of attention. Be careful could be the 2014 surprise guy! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

A+ Bogey & Owens

A- JBJ, Betts, T Ball

B+  Workman

B Vazquez, Barnes

B- Britton, Webster

IMO would rate Barnes as equal or possibly higher than Raunado. Barnes did struggle early last year [command of offspead], but not nearly as bad as Raunado did in 2012. Both reached AAA the same yr and Barnes is younger. Barnes did pitch 5.1 ip 3 hits 0 runs final start at AAA, to complete strong 2nd half. Good problem to have? probably splitting the hairs w/ 2 good young RHP starters w/ bright futures. But seem many have kind of forgotten about Barnes IMO, who was rated even higher than Owens or Raunado to start yr, but because of slow start seems not getting alot of attention. Be careful could be the 2014 surprise guy! 

Good points on Barnes. Maybe the grading should be more like:

A+ Bogey, Cecchini & Owens

A  Barnes, Ranaudo & Swihart

A- JBJ, Betts, T Ball & Workman

B+  Vazquez, Barnes & Webster

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, you know I'm partial to catchers, but I like Vasquez an awful lot. I place more value on the position so therefore I value him more than most any other position player unless it's that rare potential super-star like Bogey. Lots of people like Swihart but I'm not sold. I could see him as a change of position guy at some point as he's pretty small for the day-to-day rigors of catching at the MLB level. Time will tell. Cecchini should also be a mainstay in our everyday lineup by next season at the latest and at a position to be determined. His ultimate position may be determined more by the development of others rather than his own development. I see him as more likely to be patrolling left field or first base long-term. I would rank them in this order, Bogey, Vasquez, Cecchini, Bradley, Swihart and I've never seen Betts.

As for the pitchers, I like Workman and Webster more than Barnes or Renaudo and Owens better than any of them, but he's still a year or more away. So I would rank Owens, Workman, Webster, Barnes, Renaudo and haven't seen Ball. Looking forward to seeing them all in less than three months in the Fort.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

* a widely held definition of a prospect is a player who at the MLB level has not exceeded 130 at-bats, 50 innings pitched or, before Sept. 1, 45 days of MLB service.

The great thing is Boston doesnt have to rush guys to the show like the twins, Marlins and M's do. So while we will see more 21-22yo who may not be 100% "ready" from said teams, the Sox can wait until they are a little older and more prepared for MLB. They also can have control over them into their prime years insteam of watching them leave at age 27-28.

We have another group of prospects at AA and A+ ready to move up, so Im not sure there will be much of a fal off, if any. Names like Henry Owens, Mookie Betts, Blake Swihart, and Luis Diaz to name a few. They are prospects, so anything can happen. But its a good problem to have when there is good talent throughout the system that you dont have to rush.

Sections
Shortcuts