A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

So... my question remains. Do you give up a draft pick for Beltran?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9927566/st-louis-cardinals-extend-qualifying-offer-carlos-beltran

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's assume we try and stay under the luxury tax limit of about $189M.

Let's assume we will be at about $144M not counting FAs or re-signings.

Let's assume we have about $35M to spend to fill these slots (in house solutions):

C           (Ross/Lava/Butler/Vazquez?)

CF         (JBJ/Victorino)

1B        (Middy/Carp/Nava/Papi)

3B/SS  (Bogey/Middy/Holt/ Cecchini?)

RP         (Many options)

Some ways to make more salary space:

1) Trade Dempster (Save $6-13.25M depending on how much we pitch in, if any)

2) Non tender or sign and trade Bailey (Save $3-4M est arb settlement)

3) Restructure Lackey's deal to $8.75M x 2 (Save about $8M in 2014)

This could bring us to about $60M to spend if we do all 3 and max out my numbers.

A ruff estimate at what bringing back our big 4 free agents might cost per year:

$16-20M/yr Ellsbury

$13-16M/yr Napoli

$11-15M/yr Drew

$8.5-12M/yr Salty

Total: $50M to $65M

[/QUOTE]

Moon, Ive read this a few times from you but I dont think you can restructure Lackeys deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with everything you just said moonbeam! I would think they would try to restructure Lackeys contract unless it was already worded to automatically restructure if he did have the elbow problem. Maybe they anticipated that need. I had high hopes for Peavy but I don't think he is ever going to even approach what he was in San Diego again. I think they would be crazy to want to trade Lackey at this point. He's exactly the kind of short term megastud deal we want. He's even cheap now for God's sake! He is a ton of value. Especially for a team whose objective is towin in the playoffs. 

Realistically ( getting with Moon's program here ) Doubront would be the likely trade candidate if we signed Kuroda. Most teams don't spend the kind of cash Boston does for starters like Dempster. As long as we get a lot of value back for him I'm ok with that and you know what, I think we might be selling high on him even though he is trending up. I like the guy though and am not anxious to trade him. It may well be that by spring training next year we will need all of them.

We probably could get something for Peavy. He may well be worth a pick at the end of his contract but do we want to take a chance on that? Maybe not. Kuroda would slot right in with our starting rotation and make it one of the best in the world. And it would be good for our Asian marketing also.

Did you guys hear how much the bidding fee might go for for Tanaka. Rumors it could be as high as 70 mil just for the opportunity to negotiate with him. Wow!

[/QUOTE]

We have 6 starters right now with Workman ready for a shot, making it 7. Why would we want to add a pitcher like Kuroda? To make things more difficult, and expensive? We have more pressing needs than a 39yo starter who will make north of 15M (20M if you were GM)

If you and Moon are in favor of trading Doubie in favor of Kuroda, you both are off your rocker.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Let's go get Stanton.  We've got means, opportunity, and motive.  I just heard the one thing I 'd been waiting for--Chad Finn (good Maine boy) says he's a character guy.  Go do it BC!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Southpaw...and Webster?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Southpaw...and Webster?

Hey jcri!
    Webster still needs to improve his command. His "stuff" is just filthy, but he hasnt quite learned to command all of his pitches. Start in AAA, but there is a realistic chance it all comes together for him in 2014. Ranaudo is right behind Webster with Barnes and Owens getting closer.
    The haul it would take for Stanton would not be worth it IMO. They would want Xander and a couple pitchers. He hasnt stayed on the field and has had a number of nagging injuries.

Im laughing at some of the trade proposals for him. Its like they want to unload all our scrap for Stanton. Nothing new though.

Think names like Xander, Doubront, JBJ, Owens, Betts, Workman. Not Nava, Lavarnway, Brentz, Carp, etc...

Hey, if we can get him for the right deal, Im all in. I just have my doubts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Let's assume we have about $35M to spend to fill these slots (in house solutions):

This could bring us to about $60M to spend if we do all 3 and max out my numbers.

A ruff estimate at what bringing back our big 4 free agents might cost per year:

$16-20M/yr Ellsbury

$13-16M/yr Napoli

$11-15M/yr Drew

$8.5-12M/yr Salty

[/QUOTE]

Moon, Ive read this a few times from you but I dont think you can restructure Lackeys deal.

[/QUOTE]

The union will allow a restructure as long as the overall value of the deal is not reduced. If we sweeten the deal by $200K or so, they should not object.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So... my question remains. Do you give up a draft pick for Beltran?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9927566/st-louis-cardinals-extend-qualifying-offer-carlos-beltran

[/QUOTE]

I would, but I'm Ok with finding another OF'er that does not lose us a pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree with everything you just said moonbeam! I would think they would try to restructure Lackeys contract unless it was already worded to automatically restructure if he did have the elbow problem. Maybe they anticipated that need. I had high hopes for Peavy but I don't think he is ever going to even approach what he was in San Diego again. I think they would be crazy to want to trade Lackey at this point. He's exactly the kind of short term megastud deal we want. He's even cheap now for God's sake! He is a ton of value. Especially for a team whose objective is towin in the playoffs. 

Realistically ( getting with Moon's program here ) Doubront would be the likely trade candidate if we signed Kuroda. Most teams don't spend the kind of cash Boston does for starters like Dempster. As long as we get a lot of value back for him I'm ok with that and you know what, I think we might be selling high on him even though he is trending up. I like the guy though and am not anxious to trade him. It may well be that by spring training next year we will need all of them.

We probably could get something for Peavy. He may well be worth a pick at the end of his contract but do we want to take a chance on that? Maybe not. Kuroda would slot right in with our starting rotation and make it one of the best in the world. And it would be good for our Asian marketing also.

Did you guys hear how much the bidding fee might go for for Tanaka. Rumors it could be as high as 70 mil just for the opportunity to negotiate with him. Wow!

[/QUOTE]

We have 6 starters right now with Workman ready for a shot, making it 7. Why would we want to add a pitcher like Kuroda? To make things more difficult, and expensive? We have more pressing needs than a 39yo starter who will make north of 15M (20M if you were GM)

If you and Moon are in favor of trading Doubie in favor of Kuroda, you both are off your rocker.

[/QUOTE]

If we got Kuroda as a FA (not a trade), I'd try and deal Dempster and/or Peavy not Doubront. If we did end up trading Doubront, it would be part of a package for a very valuable upgrade at another position, so the overall net impact would be:

Doubront for Kuroda + a very valuable piece that upgrades another position in need.

I'm still on my rocker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Southpaw...and Webster?

[/QUOTE]

Hey jcri!
    Webster still needs to improve his command. His "stuff" is just filthy, but he hasnt quite learned to command all of his pitches. Start in AAA, but there is a realistic chance it all comes together for him in 2014. Ranaudo is right behind Webster with Barnes and Owens getting closer.
    The haul it would take for Stanton would not be worth it IMO. They would want Xander and a couple pitchers. He hasnt stayed on the field and has had a number of nagging injuries.

Im laughing at some of the trade proposals for him. Its like they want to unload all our scrap for Stanton. Nothing new though.

Think names like Xander, Doubront, JBJ, Owens, Betts, Workman. Not Nava, Lavarnway, Brentz, Carp, etc...

[/QUOTE]

Right.

I think we could get Stanton without giving Bogaerts, but it would take something like this (note: I would not give this):

Middy or Cecchini

JBJ

2 of Owens, Webster, Barnes, or Ranaudo

Betts or Swihart

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• The Red Sox announced that they have outrighted outfielder Quintin Berry and infielder Brandon Snyder off their 40-man roster. Both are now free agents after spending the majority of this past season at Triple-A. Snyder hit .261/.332/.454 with 10 homers in the minors, while Berry slashed just .191/.309/.257 with three homers and 30 steals in 34 tries at Triple-A.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

$16-20M/yr Ellsbury

$13-16M/yr Napoli

$11-15M/yr Drew

$8.5-12M/yr Salty

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The union will allow a restructure as long as the overall value of the deal is not reduced. If we sweeten the deal by $200K or so, they should not object.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I figure you would hear about more deals being restructured then. We do all the time in football. Do you know of any deals thast have been restructured over the last few years?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Southpaw...and Webster?

[/QUOTE]

Hey jcri!

[/QUOTE]

Right.

I think we could get Stanton without giving Bogaerts, but it would take something like this (note: I would not give this):

Middy or Cecchini

JBJ

2 of Owens, Webster, Barnes, or Ranaudo

Betts or Swihart

[/QUOTE]

yeah I agree, thats too much. But its right in line with what it should take.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thornton, Berry and Snyder are gone off the 40 man...

Here's a look at the updated framework we are starting with:

The 2014  Forty  man Roster and Rule 5 Possibilities (listed by team seniority):

1) Ortiz

2) Lester

3) Pedroia

4) Buccholz (60 Day DL)

5) Doubront

6) Tazawa

7) Lackey

8) Kalish (60 Day DL)

9) Morales

10) Miller (60 Day DL)

11) Lavarnway

12) Middlebrooks

13) Britton

14) Bailey (60 Day DL)

15) Nava

16) Breslow

17) Ross

18) Webster

19) de la Rosa

20) Wilson (60 Day DL)

21) Wright

22) Butler

23) Vazquez

24) Hassan

25) Gomes

26) Victorino

27) Uehara

28) Dempster

29) Holt

30) Carp

31) Bradley

32) Workman

33) Villareal

34) Peavy

35) Bogaerts

36) Castellanos

Blue= May be traded or DFA'd to make room for those needing rule 5 protection.

Minor League Free Agents to be, unless added to the 40 Man roster in November:

Alfredo Aceves, Ronald Bermudez, Anthony Carter, Miguel Celestino, Ryan Dent, Jonathan Diaz, Marco Duarte, Vladimir Frias, Charlie Haeger, Mark Hamilton, Justin Henry, Brock Huntzinger, Bobby Lanigan, Will Latimer, Mitch Maier, Matt Maloney, Jack McGeary, Eric Niesen, Gerardo Olivares, Rafael Perez, Manny Rivera, Alberto Rosario, Ryan Rowland-Smith, Matt Spring, Drew Sutton, Tony Thomas

Rule 5 Eligible (must be added to the 40 man roster by Nov 20):

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair,Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, Nate Reed, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

I'd say de la Cruz and Almanzar may not get drafted Rule 5, but the following probably need to be protected or lost:

1) Cecchini

2) Ranaudo

3) L Diaz

4) Brentz

If we sign 4 free agents: OF, SS/3B, 1B and RP somethings got to give. 4 free agents plus 4 rule 5 protected roster moves makes about 4 that need to be added to the 40 man roster.

See the players in blue to determine who must go to make room, unless we pull off a 2 or 3 for 1 deal or two somewhere pretty soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think our roster is at 36 now.

Rule 5 players must be added to the roster by November 20th or risk being drafted. 

My guess is we add Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz and L Diaz to make our 40 man roster full.

Then, as we sign free agents, we DFA or trade:

1) Dempster (Trade)

2) Bailey (Trade?)

3) Miller (Trade?)

4) Wright

5) Butler

6) Castellanos

7) Wilson

8) Hassan

Bailey , Wilson Wright,  Butler, Hassan, Dempster, Holt, Castellanos

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Heard a rumor of a Middlebrooks for Trumbo. I'd rather just move Middy to 1B or sign Napoli, but if the deal goes down, we might go hard after Drew.

Woprd is, we will try hard to keep Victorino in RF, but if we lose Ellsbury, I can't see us going with JBJ, Bogey and a downgrade at catcher.

How would this look?

1) Victorino  CF

2) Pedroia 2B

3) Ortiz  DH

4) Beltran RF

5) Trumbo 1B

6) Bogaerts 3B

7) Nava/Gomes LF

8) Drew SS

9) Ross/Suzuki

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox have contacted Tim Hudson.

Ryan Vogelson was not given his $6.5M option.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

hill, I'm with you on not wanting to go large and long for Ellsbury, but I know you are a big WAR fan. In 2013, Jacoby's 12.0 WAR translates to a $28.9 value. Even counting his injury years, he has a value of $104M in his last 6 years or $17M a year.

What are other Seattle fans saying?

Mariner fans are clamoring for Jacoby Ellsbury just as they clamored for Josh Hamilton, Prince Fielder and Barry Zito when the latter three were free agents. The absolute top free agents rarely represent good investments because of the costly long-term contracts the elite free agents command.

The 30-year-old Ellsbury might be a good fit for a team that intends to contend in 2014 and thinks the overall investment for immediate returns is worth the likely lost value in the last years of the contract. The Red Sox might be that team.

Ellsbury would look good in a Seattle lineup in 2014 and the year after, but the Mariners might not be close to contending in those years and later would be saddled with Ellsbury's contract as his production enters a likely decline.

Ellsbury this year and Chone Figgins in 2009 entered free agency with six years of MLB service with Ellsbury posting 23.7 WAR* and Figgins 22.0 WAR. Here are Ellsbury's career numbers and Figgins' numbers through the 2009 season:

JE 715 G, 3204 PA, .297/.350/.439/.789, 241 SB, OPS+ 108

CF 936 G, 4075 PA, .291/.363/.388/.751, 280 SB, OPS+ 99

And the numbers for the season preceding the entry of Ellsbury and Figgins into free agency:

JE 2013 134 G, 636 PA, .298/.355/.426/.781, 52 SB, OPS+ 114, wRC+** 113, 5.8 WAR

CF 2009 158 G, 729 PA, .298/.395/.393/.789, 54 SB, OPS+ 110, wRC+ 116, 6.6 WAR

Ellsbury currently is a year and a half younger than Figgins was when the latter entered free agency.

The numbers suggest that Ellsbury and Figgins have/had similar skillsets. The Mariners signed Figgins for four years and $36 million, but Ellsbury certainly is looking for far more than than.

The WAR conversion indeed has Ellsbury valued at $109 million in the six-plus seasons from ages 23 to 30. Will a team gamble that Ellsbury will yield a similar return over the next six seasons as he approaches his 36th birthday? Even so, Ellsbury reportedly is seeking an average annual salary that exceeds his annual yield-to-date of about $18 million.

For those reasons, the Mariners are not a good fit for Ellsbury.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

** Runs per PA scaled where 100 is average; both league and park adjusted; based on wOBA, as reported at FanGraphs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Regarding Kuroda and turning down an extra $5 mil because it's not all about the money...I don't think so. I may have been born yesterday but it wasn't last night!

Crit: See Heyman below. He's basically Scott Boras's press mouthpiece. He's known for having Boras on his speed dial:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24166267/red-sox-plan-to-make-qualifying-offers-to-napoli-drew

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Ellsbury's 12 WAr season was 2011 if I remember correctly. I don't think he's a Mariner either.

To me he is most likely a Redsox or a Yankee. Maybe the Phiilies where he would be a good fit and another National league team where small ball is more important.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I keep hearing about how much it would take to get Stanton and I'm not buying it. He's not THAT EXPENSIVE. He's also overrated. Now Mike Trout I could understand! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The more I look at the situation I think the Redsox offered Napoli a QO but if he doesn't take it he walks. They were concerned with his health last year and I think they want the pick. I think they would beeline it for Loney if Napoli turns down the QO. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ellsbury's 12 WAr season was 2011 if I remember correctly. I don't think he's a Mariner either.

To me he is most likely a Redsox or a Yankee. Maybe the Phiilies where he would be a good fit and another National league team where small ball is more important.

In 2011, Jacoby Ellsbury posted a career-high WAR of 9.1, according to FanGraphs, or 8.1, according to Baseball Reference:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4727&position=OF

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellsbja01.shtml

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Southpaw, we just can't agree can we! That's ok. 

To me, we can still upgrade the rotation. If we are one of the top 3 bidders on Tanaka we have a shot of being selected by him as the negotiating organization and maybe we can pick him up for less than some are projecting. I think they have been eyeing Erving Santana for years and might make a run there and I think we should make the Yanks life difficult regarding Kuroda. I absolutely love 1 year deals with proven track record players and Kuroda has pitched 200 innings with a sub 3.5 ERA for the last 4 years in a row. That is John Lackey territory last year and Kuroda has done it 4 years in a row! I want that guy!

Kuroda was worked too hard trying to keep the Yanks in it until year end. They wore him out. He needs some rest but the Redsox probably can do that. Sometimes you have to take a guy out of the rotation for a week or 2 during the season, and the Sox often do that will all their starters.

Once we sign one of these studs ( Johan Santana is also available on a flyer basis as I understand it ), we can then trade one of our existing starters like Peavy, Dempster or Doubront for whatever trade value we can get. I think Doubront in particulur could reap a significant return, like maybe even being part of a deal for a middle of the order bat or a solid but cheap catcher.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In 2011, Jacoby Ellsbury posted a career-high WAR of 9.1, according to FanGraphs, or 8.1, according to Baseball Reference:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4727&position=OF

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellsbja01.shtml

[/QUOTE]

Well, his best year was 2011 right. I knew he wasn't a 12 WAr player last year. Hill, we can't slip anything by you dude! Hope you got to see some new ballparks last year. You remind me so much of my oldest son, who loves going to sporting events around the country. I give up trying to stump the Swab!

Sections
Shortcuts