A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Boom,

Still, a lot of "ifs" for the Yanks, and they should not be minimized:

C: While I agree that McCann gives the yankees and edge over the Sox here, there are still questions. He's on the big stage now, and the last 2 years numbers favor AJP: .275  44  147 to .246  40  124 and the OPS of .773 to .742. I also like Ross over Cervelli and Lava/Butler/Vazquez could chip in nicely as well. 

1B: Teixeira started his decline the minute he signed with the Yanks and to me, is a bigger question mark than Napoli-hip and all: Teix's with LAA (1.081), then with NYY- .948> .846> .835> .807> .609. Sure, Teix could have a nice year, but he turns 34 soon, and is likely not going to be much over .800 this year.

2B: Roberts & Ryan are way bigger question marks than Pedey.

3B: Huge question mark for the Yanks. Signing Drew and moving Jete to 3B may improve the outlook, but Jete would be a big question mark. K Johnson is decent, but still a question mark.

The Yankee OF is solid both offensibely, defensively and in depth. While age may play a role, they are so deep, I don't see any big questions here.

DH: Soriano or Beltran should give the Yanks the second best DH numbers in MLB. That's big upgrade over 2013, but still behind the Sox projections for Big Papi with Gomes, Carp, Nava, and maybe Lava in reserve.

Sabathia looks like a new man. The loss of that much weight raises red flags as well as optimism. I'm guessing he will feel a lot different on the mound, and I'm not sure how he lost the weight, but sometimes a radical change in a workout routine can lead to injury, if not done gradually and correctly.

Kuroda is a fine pitcher. I like him a lot. I know you love this guy, but you have to admit, him dropping off late last year and turning 39 in a couple weeks raises a lot of questions. 

Tanaka should help the Yanks right away. I really like this 25 year old, but certainly there are questions about a guy who has never pitched an inning in America. Can he adjust? Having some older countrymates on his team should help, but what about the radical change in the pitching routines?

Nova just turned 27 and is entering his prime. He had a nice season last year, but still had a WHIP near 1.3. He has improved on his BB/9 every year, so I think he is going to have a good year, but he did have an ERA over 5 in 2012 as well as a 1.47 WHIP.

Phelps is a huge question mark, but may be replaced with another big signing. 4.98 ERA last year and a 1.42 WHIP.

Robertson as a closer. Should do well, but it's a different gig.

The rest of the pen is much more questionable than ours.

All-in-all, the Yanks look like a force on paper, but they have many many questions. They have also have lots of upside potential, but so do we.

Pedey had an off year last year batting in a key line-up slot. Imagine if he has an MVP type season- not unreasonable for a guy in mid prime.

Napoli has a career trend of having huge seasons every 3 years. 2014 is year 3.

Gomes was way off from his recent numbers vs LHPs: a return to form would be a huge boost. Gomes was one of MLB best hitters vs lefties over the previous 3-4 seasons.

Middy could return to his 2012 form.

Bogey could be the ROY and put up eye-popping numbers.

AJP could improve our staff and catcher defense significantly. Good health by Ross could make a big difference as well.

Better health by Shane.

30+ starts by Buch.

20 more starts by Peavy (taking away from Dempster/Webster)

Mujica instead of Hanrahan and Bailey

Miller all year

Workman & Britton more experienced

A bunch of kids knocking on the door loudly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Tanaka will be real good. I hope he's not good enough to lead the yanks to a big year.

[/QUOTE]

The Yanks have problems but if they add another pitcher during the season its not good for us.   They have shown more of a desire to upgrade their team then we have. My guess is they make the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

That's only because they HAVE to upgrade this way. The Sox have to see what their large group of prospects can do. Different approach. I like the way they Sox are doing business...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

As of right now, we still have an edge but the Yankees are probably not done either. We will see in the coming weeks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

As of right now, we still have an edge but the Yankees are probably not done either. We will see in the coming weeks.

True enough. If they add another top SP'er and convince Jeter to move to 3B to make way for Drew, I wouldn't bet against the Yanks.

As it stands right now, I like our chances better. I think the Dodgers, Tigers, & Cardinals are better, and a few other teams about equal with the Yanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

All-in-all, the Yanks look like a force on paper, but they have many many questions. They have also have lots of upside potential, but so do we.

Pedey had an off year last year batting in a key line-up slot. Imagine if he has an MVP type season- not unreasonable for a guy in mid prime.

Napoli has a career trend of having huge seasons every 3 years. 2014 is year 3.

Gomes was way off from his recent numbers vs LHPs: a return to form would be a huge boost. Gomes was one of MLB best hitters vs lefties over the previous 3-4 seasons.

Middy could return to his 2012 form.

Bogey could be the ROY and put up eye-popping numbers.

AJP could improve our staff and catcher defense significantly. Good health by Ross could make a big difference as well.

Better health by Shane.

30+ starts by Buch.

20 more starts by Peavy (taking away from Dempster/Webster)

Mujica instead of Hanrahan and Bailey

Miller all year

Workman & Britton more experienced

A bunch of kids knocking on the door loudly.

[/QUOTE]

Add: Doubront will no doubt show up in ST in better shape, and that should result in a better year.

And why have we not signed Andrew Bailey to at least a minor league contract? Did I miss something? Has he signed elsewhere? If not, I think he could be had for next to nothing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Add: Doubront will no doubt show up in ST in better shape, and that should result in a better year.

Yes, I neglected to mention the upside of Doubie. I did on another thread, but forgot it here.

And why have we not signed Andrew Bailey to at least a minor league contract? Did I miss something? Has he signed elsewhere? If not, I think he could be had for next to nothing.

I think we may sign one more RP, but as of now, we are pretty deep:

The probable 7 opening day pen:

Closer: Uehara

8th inning/back-up closer: Mujica

Set-up: Tazawa & Breslow

Mid relief: Miller, Badenhop

Long relief: Dempster

Depth:

Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Wilson, Noe Ramirez, Villareal, Hernandez, Layne, Ely, and Watanabe

Then there are some starters that could see some pen duty:

Webster, Ranaudo, Wright, Hinojosa, Barnes and maybe Owens mid-season

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True enough. If they add another top SP'er and convince Jeter to move to 3B to make way for Drew, I wouldn't bet against the Yanks.

As it stands right now, I like our chances better. I think the Dodgers, Tigers, & Cardinals are better, and a few other teams about equal with the Yanks.

[/QUOTE]

Look Yanks are much improved. But there are still many questions. Without the moves they made they probably were a sub 500 team w/ loss of Mo / Pettite / Arod following 13 season. But w/ each addition there are also questions attached.

1. Tanaka- Is he a 1-2 starter here in MLB. Something the Yanks desperately need w/ the decline of CC.

2. Ellsbury- Can he stay on the field consistently. Some guys just have a habit of always being injured.

3. McCann- already a ton of innings caught on those legs, already a shoulder surgery. Yanks don't need another DH.

4. Roberts/Johnson- counting on these guys to fill out your infield?

5. Jeter- Can he really come back at age 40 and play SS at a high level?

6. Tex- a player in decline before wrist injury, can they really expect a return to top form?

7. SP- CC best yrs in rear view, Pineda shoulder surgery, Nova good 1 yr bad the next, Kuroda slumped badly 2nd half last yr at age 38? Phelps is probably the one guy they know what they will get a solid no.5 guy everyone else comes w/ ?'s

8. Bullpen- if Yankee fan this is where I would be most worried. 18 yrs of never worrying about about a lead late. Having to move your setup guy to closer. Have to believe they will not make a move here can't possibly spend all that $ and have this as your bullpen

But love what Gomes had to say. You win in the summer not in the winter. Lets see if moves pay off otherwise if Yanks miss playoffs might become the laughingstock of baseball. IMO Yanks are much improved but don't think they are guaranteed a playoff spot by any means.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

One wild card for the Yankees is the anticipated return of 25-year-old one-time All Star righthander Michael Pineda.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look Yanks are much improved. But there are still many questions. Without the moves they made they probably were a sub 500 team w/ loss of Mo / Pettite / Arod following 13 season. But w/ each addition there are also questions attached.

1. Tanaka- Is he a 1-2 starter here in MLB. Something the Yanks desperately need w/ the decline of CC.

2. Ellsbury- Can he stay on the field consistently. Some guys just have a habit of always being injured.

3. McCann- already a ton of innings caught on those legs, already a shoulder surgery. Yanks don't need another DH.

6. Tex- a player in decline before wrist injury, can they really expect a return to top form?

7. SP- CC best yrs in rear view, Pineda shoulder surgery, Nova good 1 yr bad the next, Kuroda slumped badly 2nd half last yr at age 38? Phelps is probably the one guy they know what they will get a solid no.5 guy everyone else comes w/ ?'s

8. Bullpen- if Yankee fan this is where I would be most worried. 18 yrs of never worrying about about a lead late. Having to move your setup guy to closer. Have to believe they will not make a move here can't possibly spend all that $ and have this as your bullpen

But love what Gomes had to say. You win in the summer not in the winter. Lets see if moves pay off otherwise if Yanks miss playoffs might become the laughingstock of baseball. IMO Yanks are much improved but don't think they are guaranteed a playoff spot by any means.

[/QUOTE]

Good points. Some echoed some of mine.

The Ellsbury upgrade from Granderson in CF might not cancel out the downgrade from Cano to Roberts/Ryan at 2B.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, I neglected to mention the upside of Doubie. I did on another thread, but forgot it here.

I think we may sign one more RP, but as of now, we are pretty deep:

The probable 7 opening day pen:

Closer: Uehara

8th inning/back-up closer: Mujica

Set-up: Tazawa & Breslow

Mid relief: Miller, Badenhop

Long relief: Dempster

Depth:

Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Wilson, Noe Ramirez, Villareal, Hernandez, Layne, Ely, and Watanabe

Then there are some starters that could see some pen duty:

Webster, Ranaudo, Wright, Hinojosa, Barnes and maybe Owens mid-season

[/QUOTE]

I believe Villareal was DFA'd. Not sure if he has signed elsewhere. I still think Bailey is worth rolling the dice on because he could be had for next to nothing. And RP are such a crapshoot its worth having a lot of them to choose from.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interesting article on de la Rosa...

"Last year I never got that feeling like I could throw the ball 100-percent. But now I can do it. I feel comfortable. "

The full read:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2014/01/finally-healthy-de-la-rosa-eyeing-big.html

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who is playing third base for Yanks?

32 year old Kelly Johnson who hit 16 Hrs in just 366 ABs last year with the Rays. Career .762 OPS

Back-up: probably B Ryan

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I think it's imperative we sign Drew, and part of the reason is keeping him from the Yankees.  The other part is Middlebrooks, I hope he proves me wrong but I think he's the liability he was last season.  Naps/Pedroia/Drew/Bogaerts needs to be our infield. 

Pineda is another wild-card, if he comes on strong and Tanaka is as feared and CC regains form, look out!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points. Some echoed some of mine.

The Ellsbury upgrade from Granderson in CF might not cancel out the downgrade from Cano to Roberts/Ryan at 2B.

[/QUOTE]

Just a gut feeling. But think Tanaka is going to be really good. Lets hope bullpen implodes w/out Mo, and CC doesn't have bounce back season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's imperative we sign Drew, and part of the reason is keeping him from the Yankees.  The other part is Middlebrooks, I hope he proves me wrong but I think he's the liability he was last season.  Naps/Pedroia/Drew/Bogaerts needs to be our infield. 

Pineda is another wild-card, if he comes on strong and Tanaka is as feared and CC regains form, look out!

[/QUOTE]

I'm okay with trading Dempster to clear salary space for Drew, but I think we can spend the money more wisely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

Interesting article on de la Rosa...

"Last year I never got that feeling like I could throw the ball 100-percent. But now I can do it. I feel comfortable. "

The full read:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2014/01/finally-healthy-de-la-rosa-eyeing-big.html

[/QUOTE]

I had read it. Hopefully working w/ Pedro will also help. But also good to hear in noticeably better shape. Getting close to that make or break yr for him, otherwise other young arms will move by.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

[QUOTE] 

Still, a lot of "ifs" for the Yanks, and they should not be minimized:

1B: Teixeira started his decline the minute he signed with the Yanks ... Agree. The wrist injury last year will be a big question for him. He is a notorious slow starter. There's real good chance he never gets it going.

2B: Roberts & Ryan are way bigger question marks than Pedey. HUGE,loss of production at 2nd base. Cano has been the anchor in the lineup the last few years.

3B: Huge question mark for the Yanks.  

DH: Soriano or Beltran should give the Yanks the second best DH numbers in MLB. 

Plus Jeter will get significant DH time, especially against lefties. 

Sabathia looks like a new man. The loss of that much weight raises red flags...a radical change in a workout routine can lead to injury, if not done gradually and correctly. He's made his living as a power pitcher, a lot of it coming from a balanced delivery that used that heft.  There have got to be some major changes to be made in mechanics and balance and delivery that can lead to disaster, big time, for a pitcher.    

Robertson as a closer. Should do well. The rest of the pen is much more questionable than ours. Agree. Loss of Riviera and that automatic dependibiity will be huge. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No Mo, No Cano, No Grandy, No Pettitte.

Yes, they picked up some big talent: Ellsbury, Beltran, Tanaka & McCann, but there are still big question marks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, they picked up some big talent: Ellsbury, Beltran, Tanaka & McCann, but there are still big question marks.

[/QUOTE]

Hello moonslav59  Laughing

This is why I still think that the Red Sox and Rays are better than the Yankees.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even the four new pick-ups come with their share of question marks. Ellsbury should be the surest bet but he does have injury history. Beltran is aging and not the defender he was once, more than likely one of many dh candidates on Yankee team. McCann is coming off some injury-plagued seasons and stepping into a much tougher division. And Tanaka could be the biggest question mark of all, trying to live up to that salary without ever having thrown a pitch at a level much above the American equivalent of single A. All four could be great and need to be great for the Yankees to return to the playoffs. Not likely that all four work out as planned.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even the four new pick-ups come with their share of question marks. Ellsbury should be the surest bet but he does have injury history. Beltran is aging and not the defender he was once, more than likely one of many dh candidates on Yankee team. McCann is coming off some injury-plagued seasons and stepping into a much tougher division. And Tanaka could be the biggest question mark of all, trying to live up to that salary without ever having thrown a pitch at a level much above the American equivalent of single A. All four could be great and need to be great for the Yankees to return to the playoffs. Not likely that all four work out as planned.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but we should remember that last winter we had a slew of questions, including our own 4 big FA signings: Victorino, Napoli, Dempster and Drew.

A lot went right for us last year, especially on the health front, while much went wrong with the Yanks in that area.

That being said, I do like the Rays and Sox slightly better right now, but the Yanks will be neck and neck with both teams.

I can't wait for the season to begin!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here is a llst of the best Sox players by age staring at 25:

40 Man Roster Only

25: Doubront, Lavarnway, Hassan, Holt

24: Middlebrooks, Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Brentz

23: Bradley, Webster, Ranaudo

22: Cecchini, Vazquez

20: Bogaerts

Non-40 Man Roster (ordered by soxprospects.com rankings)

24: Ranaudo (7), N Ramirez (30)

23: Barnes (6), Vazquez (13), Marrero (17), Johnson (18)

22: Coyle (25), de la Cruz (36)

21: Owens (3), Swihart (5), Betts (10), Mercedes (23), L Diaz (26), Smith (33)

Litrell (34), Ramos (35)

20: Stankiewicz (15), Buttrey (24), Kukuk (31), Gomez (37)

19: Ball (11), Margot (14), Callahan (22), Denney (32), McGrath (38), Lin (39)

18: Rijo (19), Longhi (40)

17: Devers (21)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but we should remember that last winter we had a slew of questions, including our own 4 big FA signings: Victorino, Napoli, Dempster and Drew.

A lot went right for us last year, especially on the health front, while much went wrong with the Yanks in that area.

That being said, I do like the Rays and Sox slightly better right now, but the Yanks will be neck and neck with both teams.

I can't wait for the season to begin!

[/QUOTE]

While I agree to win a WS things must break right and last yr everything did break right for RS including the injury bug which seemed to haunt RS past few yrs. Even injuries we did have seemed to work out for the better [Hanrahan & Bailey otherwise Koji remains in setup role] But when looking at RS pickups not so sure there was much surprise other than they stayed mostly healthy.

Naps- gave us pretty much what we expected. Maybe better D than expected.

Dempster- pitched a ton of innings. Something he has done his whole career.

Vic- proved that 2012 was just a bad yr and was still young enough to bounce back, while providing GG defense which he has always done.

Koji- probably the biggest surprise of the group, while always posting outstanding #'s don't think many could have expected him to do it as closer

Gomes- came as advertised. Probably didn't do as well as expected vs LH's but more than made up for it w/ his clubhouse presence.

Just think the Yanks signings come with alot of questions and could backfire. If they signed Cano + 2 at least you know what your going to get from Cano. IMO Tanaka is going to be very good, and Ells/McCann are capable of big #'s in that park. Beltran could have 1 more really solid season in those knees. But would anyone be surprised if Ells missed 50 games, McCann needed to DH more than expected, or Beltran could no longer play the outfield? Then what resign Vernon Wells - B.Cashman better hope not because I do believe his job is on the line this year. One thing ownership has realized is he's no Gene Michael when it comes to evaluating young talent. But he sure knows how to write a check.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While I agree to win a WS things must break right and last yr everything did break right for RS including the injury bug which seemed to haunt RS past few yrs. Even injuries we did have seemed to work out for the better [Hanrahan & Bailey otherwise Koji remains in setup role] But when looking at RS pickups not so sure there was much surprise other than they stayed mostly healthy.

Naps- gave us pretty much what we expected. Maybe better D than expected.

Dempster- pitched a ton of innings. Something he has done his whole career.

Vic- proved that 2012 was just a bad yr and was still young enough to bounce back, while providing GG defense which he has always done.

Koji- probably the biggest surprise of the group, while always posting outstanding #'s don't think many could have expected him to do it as closer

Gomes- came as advertised. Probably didn't do as well as expected vs LH's but more than made up for it w/ his clubhouse presence.ssed

Good points.

On Gomes, he really missed expectations significantly vs LHPs last year:

'09-'12 vs LHPs: .906 OPS (8th best OF OPS vs LHPs in MLB)

2013 vs LHPs:    .795 OPS

We did have one significant injury that we overcame by having strong seasons from Lackey and Lester: Clay Buchholz. We also lost Miller for much of the year, but Breslow was lights out second half last year.

We had lots of stretches with key players injured, but certainly we did way better with injuries in 2013 than the previous few years.

Papi missed the start of the year, but was a horse once he returned.

Victorino missed time here and there, but Nava did well.

Ellsbury missed time.

Drew missed time.

Middy battled an injury.

Pedey played hurt.

Ross missed about half the season.

While injuries to Hanrahan and Bailey may have been a "blessing in disguise", the loss of Miller and Morales could have been more harmful if it wasn't for uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, Workman, and Britton.

Sections
Shortcuts