A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Moon, the runners foot was on the 3rd base bag before the ball reached 3rd. It was clearly a bad decision. Salty got excited and it could have happened to anyone but he made the wrong decision. Even if the ball was thrown perfectly he would not have been out at 3rd:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/27/more-on-rule-7-06-obstruction/

That play cost Salty a ton of money. It's too bad but I bet it cost him millions. Farrel benched him after that game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, just read a few players are already working out in FM.   Sorry to end your off season, but you better throw some Bermudas in a valise and buy a plane ticket--or a train ticket if you're of the Jackie Jensen leanings.  We need those daily reports!  YLF, your loyal followers...

Et al--I know this has no real significance as to how a player's season works out but it always pleases me in a symbolic way when some guys turn up early.  Middlebrooks, JBJ among early arrivals.  At least they know the importance of this year to their futures--or maybe they just love baseball.  Doesn't matter to me, they're not late and fat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Good morning everyone   Laughing

So is Bradley Jr. going to be the CF for the Red Sox this season?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good morning everyone   Laughing

So is Bradley Jr. going to be the CF for the Red Sox this season?

[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine not. He's already at FM and after last year knows what having a good ST can mean. Sizemore is there if he breaks an ankle or something.

The better question is weather Boegarts will start the season in AAA. His bat is needed more than anything and if he hhas a slow spring...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

I saw a number the other day that there are 19 pitchers on RS 40 man roster. Basically half. I didn't check that or look at other team rosters. On one hand that reflects the organizational pitching depth, but is that typical or reflect lack of depth, e.g., OF, in other areas?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, the runners foot was on the 3rd base bag before the ball reached 3rd. It was clearly a bad decision. Salty got excited and it could have happened to anyone but he made the wrong decision. Even if the ball was thrown perfectly he would not have been out at 3rd:

That play cost Salty a ton of money. It's too bad but I bet it cost him millions. Farrel benched him after that game.

[/QUOTE]

It's easy to say in hindsight, "don't make the throw", but a perfect throw (harder and more accurate) might have gotten him.

My main point is that the ball should have been caught, and we wouldn't be talking about this now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to javaukti1's comment:
    I saw a number the other day that there are 19 pitchers on RS 40 man roster. Basically half....

[/QUOTE]

never mind. i just checked. the yankees have 20. 5 starters and 6 in the bull pen, a team needs a lot of arms...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to javaukti1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw a number the other day that there are 19 pitchers on RS 40 man roster. Basically half. I didn't check that or look at other team rosters. On one hand that reflects the organizational pitching depth, but is that typical or reflect lack of depth, e.g., OF, in other areas?

[/QUOTE]

We have quite a few players not on the 40 man roster that are depth. They can be added easily once a player goes on the DL.

Take the OF, we have Corey Brown, and Scott Cousins to go along with Gomes, Carp, Sizemore, Hassan,  & Brentz.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Lester: What about an immediate extension for him that gives him an bump to $15m for this year, then three more years at $18m with another club option year and / or $5m buyout?

If Lester is talking loyalty, won't he likely be expecting some sort of no-trade clause, or at least the ability to refuse specific trades?

Could vesting or player opt-out make the difference for him?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester: What about an immediate extension for him that gives him an bump to $15m for this year, then three more years at $18m with another club option year and / or $5m buyout?

[/QUOTE]

Not enough.  I think it'll take 5 years, $100 million to get it done.  Believe it or not that's a pretty good discount at current rates.  Compare it to Greinke's 6 years, $150 million.

Opt-out won't mean much.  Guaranteed money will be the deciding factor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's easy to say in hindsight, "don't make the throw", but a perfect throw (harder and more accurate) might have gotten him.

My main point is that the ball should have been caught, and we wouldn't be talking about this now.

[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree. Having played 3b all the way til college, have to disagree. Not sure was a catchable throw No.1, and one of the toughest plays to make as 3B is to move into a base runner coming at you full speed and try to stretch out to make a catch into that runner. Salty needed more daylight to be making that throw and given the situation was not a smart play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Ice Cream, what do I know but I would say it's JBJ's time with one exception: if he is slump ridden in ST and Sizemore looks great, I think Sizemore will start.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure Sizemore can be ready to play FT by opening day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    "Not enough.  I think it'll take 5 years, $100 million to get it done.  Believe it or not that's a pretty good discount at current rates.  Compare it to Greinke's 6 years, $150 million."

I don't think it would be an unreasonable offer, if he really wanted to stay in Boston. I think it's the kind of offer that Peedy would be happy with if he were a pitcher -- perhaps requiring vesting for more years.

$18 million is not chump change. It's more than anyone on our staff is currently making, and we have some internal replacement options. Big long term deals for pitchers don't pay off much on the back end.

How much he gets in free agency will depend a lot on whether this season looks like 2012 or 2013 for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Nothing will happen with Lester until at least this season starts. Any increase before that would affect his AAV for this year. I could easily see 5/$100 announced around the time of the home opener.

Crit, my flight is the 25th. Believe me on days like today with more than a foot of snow in Western Mass, I wish I was there yesterday! Oh and they're called cargo shorts these days, bermudas are too Ward Cleaver;)

I don't think Salty should have made the throw and it was his second such goof of the playoffs. Not sure that alone cost him millions but I do suspect that there's more to the story than we know. Fortunately Ross got healthy at the right time and was just what the doctor ordered.

I also doubt that Sizemore can be much of a contributor after not playing at all for two years and only playing sparingly(and not too well) the two years prior. I think the job is Bradley's to lose.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Farrell seems to have very little tolerance for mental errors. Nava appeared to mess up what he thought was a hit and run sign and got benched immediately and then we start hearing Farrell talking about how "smart" Gomes is. That play with Salty appeared to be mainly a mental error also. 

It's pure speculation on my part but I don't think Farrell likes looking bad when a guy misses a sign or makes a mental error like that. Farrell is cautious and cerebral. He just doesn't make bad decisions like that and does not like players who do.

I saw Gomes mess up a play where he could easily have taken a base later on in the series and blew it but nothing gets said then. Gomes was clearly Farrell's binky. And why was it that every single ball hit to Gomes was like a highlight reel play. He milks everything as if it was some sort of spectacular play when it often is routine. Victorino has some of that in him also. Banging into the wall when he's standing still right next to it.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I don't think Grienke would get less than $175 mil in this market. Lester is a slam dunk for $20 mil per year if extended in spring training. Probably even as much as $120 mil over 6 years. Age is the only thing he has against him. He knows he had a good year in 2013 and wants to sign a contract before he messes up and gets less. It's not some noble endeavor. It's dollars and sense and statistics. He wants a contract now, since he had a solid year. If this was 2012 he wouldn't get 1/2 that much.

And he knows it could happen again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I really like Lester but I'm not sure I'd extend him if it gets into that range. It might be better to just take the pick. We might get another one from Peavy. 

If we keep stockpiling picks, rather than sign aging pitchers, we might just be able to keep this thing going.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

Farrell seems to have very little tolerance for mental errors. Nava appeared to mess up what he thought was a hit and run sign and got benched immediately and then we start hearing Farrell talking about how "smart" Gomes is. That play with Salty appeared to be mainly a mental error also. 

It's pure speculation on my part but I don't think Farrell likes looking bad when a guy misses a sign or makes a mental error like that. Farrell is cautious and cerebral. He just doesn't make bad decisions like that and does not like players who do.

I saw Gomes mess up a play where he could easily have taken a base later on in the series and blew it but nothing gets said then. Gomes was clearly Farrell's binky. And why was it that every single ball hit to Gomes was like a highlight reel play. He milks everything as if it was some sort of spectacular play when it often is routine. Victorino has some of that in him also. Banging into the wall when he's standing still right next to it.  

[/QUOTE]

Great post, Boom.

I don't know how many times I've mentioned during a game that every ball that goes Gomes way is an adventure.  Yes, also the wall thing.

Sometimes I think some guys just love the attention it brings and being a little bit of a hot-dog.

I hope Nava gets off the fecal roster.  With some of the guys he had in Toronto, you'd think Farrell would appreciate everything about Nava.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do think Sox management viewed it that way, and there was a cumulative element to it as well. I said as soon as the season was over, "there's no way Ben pays big money for a guy who was benched for Ross when it counted the most." They clearly lost confidence in Salty, and that play was the final straw.

Gomes may be "smart" and a great bench/clubhouse guy, but he's a butcher on defense. I'm not sure if it makes much difference why a play is botched, but it does seem that Ben hates the mental ones more.

I saw Gomes mess up a play where he could easily have taken a base later on in the series and blew it but nothing gets said then. Gomes was clearly Farrell's binky.

I was going to bring up that play by Gomes as well,,, and others.

I never thought of Nava as a bonehead. I thought he got a raw deal last November.

And why was it that every single ball hit to Gomes was like a highlight reel play. He milks everything as if it was some sort of spectacular play when it often is routine. Victorino has some of that in him also. Banging into the wall when he's standing still right next to it.  

Shane had a fantastic defensive year, but I also noticed he made some easier plays look difficult.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I really like Lester but I'm not sure I'd extend him if it gets into that range. It might be better to just take the pick. We might get another one from Peavy. 

If we keep stockpiling picks, rather than sign aging pitchers, we might just be able to keep this thing going.

[/QUOTE]

The idea would be to keep getting comp picks, keep developing pitchers to move up whenever we lose one, and sign the best non QO players as much as possible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I've come to appreciate Gomes, especially what he evidently does in a clubhouse, but EVERY ball he runs in on turns into a somersault...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, losing Lester to the Yankees or the Rangers or the Angels could be a distastrous blunder that costs us another title or more.

It's not easy being a GM.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Red Sox have to be careful here with Lester. Of course coming off a terrific post season for RS every fan should want him back and his value is probably as high as its been the past 3 seasons. But FO should not forget that terrible finish to 11, terrible 2012 season, and a spotty middle of 13 season. Signings of 30+ yr old pitchers to long term extensions is as dicey as it gets in baseball. Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt are just a couple of the horror stories. I don't think RS should do deal in ST, wait til mid season then work out a deal if he's still pitching like he did in post season. IMO RS need to see more of the good J.Lester. I would like him back like most RS fans, but don't want to be saddled w/ contract that we come to regret only 2 yrs in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red Sox have to be careful here with Lester. Of course coming off a terrific post season for RS every fan should want him back and his value is probably as high as its been the past 3 seasons. But FO should not forget that terrible finish to 11, terrible 2012 season, and a spotty middle of 13 season. Signings of 30+ yr old pitchers to long term extensions is as dicey as it gets in baseball. Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt are just a couple of the horror stories. I don't think RS should do deal in ST, wait til mid season then work out a deal if he's still pitching like he did in post season. IMO RS need to see more of the good J.Lester. I would like him back like most RS fans, but don't want to be saddled w/ contract that we come to regret only 2 yrs in.

[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget that Jon had a pretty good postseason record before 2013:

42 IP  12 ER or a 2.57 ERA

Sections
Shortcuts