A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

On that pitcher scouting report let's give Barnes a freaking cutter quick! Everything I hear is that he can control his fastball even within the zone and it misses bats and can get up to 98. The guy might well be a better overall prospect than Owens if we look at it long term. He should be able to at least relieve for us this year after the break.

Ranaudo just doesn't seem to miss enough bats. Trade em!

If we can get some value! He'd be a solid pitcher in some big park like San Diego. He is not cut out for the AL East though IMHO!

Owens is a project but he clearly has potential.

Could it be that Britton turns out to be a real decent LH reliever?

This team is just flat out stacked! Can't wait for Cechinni to join the club and solve that lead off spot problem or slide in the 2 hole. He and JBJ are made to order Redsox hitters.

[/QUOTE]

I know they're just prospects, and pitching prospects at that, but reading these 1st hand reports and commentary it seems there is a ton of pitching talent in the high minors. Seems something has to give. A stronger hand for the FO in negotiating w/Lester? Everything lined up ($$ and trading chips) for a mid-season trade?  I also understand the importance of "can never have too much pitching". 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have to wonder if dare I say we are in a "bridge year"? Having won an unexpected WS last year do we dare say this has allowed the RS to better position themselves for 2015 and beyond. While repeating is difficult in any league, could the RS do it this year? IMO everything would have to go about as well as last year and then some. The biggest loss will be Jacoby, JBJ will be fine defensively but I hate to say it the RS will really need him to develope offensively and become the leadoff hitter [by June 1]. We really don't have a lead off hitter on the team, if JBJ can get on base anywhere near as well as he did in minors and college and would be welcome addition atop the order, he won't steal the bases Ells did but could get on base more.

AJ will be fine replacing Salty. He will be a more consistent hitter than Salty who was very streaky. Should be an upgrade defensively, that plus the fact that Ross should get into more games this year the team is much improved behind the plate defensively.

Bogey should be fine at SS. While he won't be as good as Drew was last yr defensively, he could be a good upgrade offensively. This should balance out, but for the future this is the right move to make. Need to find out at some point if he can handle SS defensively.

IMO WMB will bounce back this year. While I'm not going w/ the 30+hr's 100rbi type yr. Would be happy w/ 25 hr's 80+rbi's 330 obp would be a good for me.

The bullpen will be improved even if Koji comes back to earth a bit. Mujica and Badenhop give RS some depth from RH side which we lacked 2nd half last year, and w/ Andrew Miller back healthy pen should be very much a strength and for me what will put them in the playoffs.

Really believe that a Workman or Raunado could become a fulltime member of the rotation by end of this year w/ Owens/Barnes becoming on the cusp pitchers as Workman did last yr.

While I can see RS making playoffs w/ about 91-94 wins, I think Tigers are going to WS this year only to lose to Cards. But then again I thought the RS would have a chance to make playoffs last yr but would lose in WC game. Maybe a repeat isn't so far fetched if everything goes our way AGAIN?

We do need a lot to go right again, but we could see by imrpovements over 2013 by Pedroia, Buchholz, Napoli, Middy, Ross, and Miller, plus a big year from a rookie or two.

I do think we will miss Ellsbury, but Victorino might do well, or if we use Nava/Gomes up first, we could see a better OBP from the leadoff slot thatn 2013 (.348).

I like our pitching staff better. The pen looks deeper.

I like our line-up:

1) Nava/Gomes

2) Victorino

3) Pedroia

4) Ortiz

5) Napoli

6) Bogaerts

7) Middy

8) AJ P

9) Bradley

I'm expecting a prospect or two to shine this year- maybe de la Rosa, Webster, Workman, Britton, Ranaudo, Barnes, Owens, or Cecchini.

We also have about $10M to play with at the deadline; that's enough to get two quality players and still stay under the budget limit.

[/QUOTE]

Agree w/ everything you said Moon. But IMO for RS to get back to WS or win AL East I think either JBJ or Sizemore is going to have to become that lead off hitter this lineup needs. Putting Nava/Gomes at lead off I'm ok to start yr to let Bradley or Sizemore get their feet under them, but for this team to suceed we can't have [2] plodders leading off, w/ Vic in #2 spot will limit his effectiveness on base paths as well. Vic has had a bad history leading off and to me this move makes multiple changes within heart of order [Pedroia back in 2 hole?] or maybe Bogey could even bat in the 1 or 2 spot in lineup? IMO this season for RS comes down to does one of these guys step up to become a productive leadoff hitter? Would be perfect storm if JBJ could take that job, but after rough start last year will take some time or succes at this level before that move can be made.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Agree w/ everything you said Moon. But IMO for RS to get back to WS or win AL East I think either JBJ or Sizemore is going to have to become that lead off hitter this lineup needs. Putting Nava/Gomes at lead off I'm ok to start yr to let Bradley or Sizemore get their feet under them, but for this team to suceed we can't have [2] plodders leading off, w/ Vic in #2 spot will limit his effectiveness on base paths as well. Vic has had a bad history leading off and to me this move makes multiple changes within heart of order [Pedroia back in 2 hole?] or maybe Bogey could even bat in the 1 or 2 spot in lineup? IMO this season for RS comes down to does one of these guys step up to become a productive leadoff hitter? Would be perfect storm if JBJ could take that job, but after rough start last year will take some time or succes at this level before that move can be made.

I agree, and being able to put JBJ/Sizemore at leadoff would also "lengthen" the line-up by allowing Nava/Gomes to bat 6th instead of putting more pressure on Bogey or Middy in that slot. They both get moved down a notch, thereby improving the bottom of the order. AJ P/Ross bat 9th not 8th- not bad!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Jon Lester is heading into his last year before free agency, and it seems likely that he and the Red Sox will agree to terms on an extension before that happens. In a podcast, Tim Britton and Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal try to determine what a Lester extension might look like, and they arrive somewhere in the neighborhood of five years and $110MM guaranteed, perhaps with an option of some kind. The Red Sox likely will not want to guarantee more than five years for Lester, they suggest, and his recent workload (he threw 248 innings last year, including the postseason) could be a factor. Lester is already locked into a $13MM salary for 2014, so a five-year, $110MM extension would effectively add four years and $97MM.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

In parsing views on leadoff, I think JBJ will be able to do it in the future, but I would rather see Sizemore/Vic there this year despite past history of Vic.  Those two have experience and maturity to deal with ups/downs better than JBJ.  Let him get his feet wet, work him in gradually at end of the year if he's doing well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In parsing views on leadoff, I think JBJ will be able to do it in the future, but I would rather see Sizemore/Vic there this year despite past history of Vic.  Those two have experience and maturity to deal with ups/downs better than JBJ.  Let him get his feet wet, work him in gradually at end of the year if he's doing well.

[/QUOTE]

Everything I hear about JBJ is that his maturity level is off the charts. Just think he needs a little success at the plate at this level to calm nerves and relax to be succesful. If he can become that leadoff hitter, this team could really take off this year as did last yrs team. Let him start yr near bottom of lineup, hopefully he does well and RS can move him to top of order by 6/1. Nava / Gomes definately not a permanent solution. I don't think it would be wise to expect Sizemore to play everyday. He makes a perfect 4th outfielder who can play all 3 OF positions and has played 1st in his career. Should get plenty of AB's you know someone will go down at some point. Last yr Vic played hurt way too much, if Sizemore healthy that won't happen this yr.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Everything I hear about JBJ is that his maturity level is off the charts. Just think he needs a little success at the plate at this level to calm nerves and relax to be succesful. If he can become that leadoff hitter, this team could really take off this year as did last yrs team. Let him start yr near bottom of lineup, hopefully he does well and RS can move him to top of order by 6/1. Nava / Gomes definately not a permanent solution. I don't think it would be wise to expect Sizemore to play everyday. He makes a perfect 4th outfielder who can play all 3 OF positions and has played 1st in his career. Should get plenty of AB's you know someone will go down at some point. Last yr Vic played hurt way too much, if Sizemore healthy that won't happen this yr.

[/QUOTE]

I'd love for Sizemore to shine and make this club's 25 man roster. It would probably mean Carp is traded, unless we get creative with the DL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Agreed Moon, I think I saw another thread on here about Carp versus Sizemore and I think that 25th roster spot could well come down to those two. It appears the Sox showcased Carp yesterday at DH for the Pirates and he put on a good show. As good as he was for us last year he has much more value to someone else who could use him full-time. Still have to be convinced that Sizemore will be ready on day one and would not be surprised to see him open the season in AAA to get regular at bats. They could even open with four outfielders (if Carp is dealt) and hold onto Lavarnway to try and build value on him in order to peddle him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

If healthy Sizemore can probably do more than Carp, wider range skills, but hoping no trades are made until we get into the season a way, see what we need, etc..  One injury in ST could put us in a flummox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

If healthy Sizemore can probably do more than Carp, wider range skills, but hoping no trades are made until we get into the season a way, see what we need, etc..  One injury in ST could put us in a flummox.

[/QUOTE]

If someone offers more than what Carp is worth to us, we should say yes. If we face a later injury, we can deal with that in house (Gomes plays FT) or pick up a cheap replacement player somewhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If someone offers more than what Carp is worth to us, we should say yes. If we face a later injury, we can deal with that in house (Gomes plays FT) or pick up a cheap replacement player somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

The only problem trading Carp is, even if Sizemore makes it thru ST healthy can we expect him to get thru 162 game grind? If he were to go down again [likely scenario given his track record] we've traded away a solid proven guy who could have helped. To bad roster wasn't 26. Pirates have a lot of OF depth, W/ Gregory Polanco ready to take over in RF [Pirates will probably wait til May for service time] and join A.McCutcheon and S.Marte and they just drafted A.Meadows, couple of interesting names might interest RS. Josh Bell rated #7 [BA] in Bucs system is just 20 yrs old a former high draft pick or even a Jose Tabata who is only 25 and had a solid yr for Bucs last yr would give RS some OF depth. Trade w/ Bucs could work, like RS have a highly rated farm w/ much young talent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only problem trading Carp is, even if Sizemore makes it thru ST healthy can we expect him to get thru 162 game grind? If he were to go down again [likely scenario given his track record] we've traded away a solid proven guy who could have helped. To bad roster wasn't 26. Pirates have a lot of OF depth, W/ Gregory Polanco ready to take over in RF [Pirates will probably wait til May for service time] and join A.McCutcheon and S.Marte and they just drafted A.Meadows, couple of interesting names might interest RS. Josh Bell rated #7 [BA] in Bucs system is just 20 yrs old a former high draft pick or even a Jose Tabata who is only 25 and had a solid yr for Bucs last yr would give RS some OF depth. Trade w/ Bucs could work, like RS have a highly rated farm w/ much young talent.

[/QUOTE]

We'd need two OF injuries beyond one to Sizemore to be in big trouble. I don't think Carps value as an emergency OF'er is as high as what we can get in return for him at a position of greater need.... such as RH'd OF'er or pen help.

Gomes or Nava can go from platoon to fulltime.

We also have Hassan and Brentz as emergency OF'ers who can be called up to carry us until we pick up a replacement OF'er on the cheap from somewhere.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Delayed report on yesterday's yawner at the fort...

Clay may have been one of the highlights, even though he gave up a run and threw a bunch of pitches in the first. DeJesus hit Clay's first pitch for a ringing double and he almost got out of the inning unscathed except for a 13-hopper between short and third. Rubby got hammered, as did Villerealle (sp?), both proving they need work in AAA. Miller threw the ball much better today than his last time out and the two minor league veteran contract guys, Cordero and Mijares, both pitched very well. Tampa brought at least five guys who should be in their opening day lineup, an oddity for ST road games.

The offense struggled again, but was better than the results indicate. Hassan had two hits, but his hardest hit ball was a liner right at the leftfielder. Bogey hit shots all day with nothing to show for his efforts. Both Napoli and Gomes lined out as well. It's early and the games are meaningless, but both Ortiz and Pedey have had lots of RBI opportunities and neither has delivered at all. Gomes also had some tough luck by grounding into a DP on which neither he nor Napoli (the runner at first) ran as it was obvious to anyone not wearing umpires' clothing that Gomes had grounded the ball off his foot. Even the Rays infielders went about making the play tentatively, also thinking the ball was foul. But no foul call came and it was an easy DP for the Rays. With Miller on the mound we appeared to turn a 1-6-3 doubleplay only to have the runner ruled safe at second. Still a mystery as to why he was safe. Obviously there are not any heated arguments in ST games as everyone assumes the umpires are going through spring training as well, and many of them are not even MLB umps.

Half-watching today's game on the computer, Bogey just hit a bomb!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• The offer Jarrod Saltalamacchia received from the Red Sox this offseason was the lowest of the six or seven offers presented to him, the catcher told reporters, including the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo (Twitter link). The Boston Herald's Scott Lauber tweetsthat despite signing for a much lower average annual value, Saltalamacchia said he wouldn't have accepted a qualifying offer from the Red Sox, as he preferred multiyear security. The Globe's Matt Pepin has full quotes from Saltalamacchia, who said Boston's best offer was for two years, but "not a straight two-year deal," adding that there "were other things involved."

Sounds like we may have gotten another draft choice had we offered Salty a QO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

• The offer Jarrod Saltalamacchia received from the Red Sox this offseason was the lowest of the six or seven offers presented to him, the catcher told reporters, including the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo (Twitter link). The Boston Herald's Scott Lauber tweetsthat despite signing for a much lower average annual value, Saltalamacchia said he wouldn't have accepted a qualifying offer from the Red Sox, as he preferred multiyear security. The Globe's Matt Pepin has full quotes from Saltalamacchia, who said Boston's best offer was for two years, but "not a straight two-year deal," adding that there "were other things involved."

[/QUOTE]

Some people might say that the Sox Organization had a ton of respect for Salty and appreciated everything he did here, so they did him a favor by not attaching the pick to him.  

Even though they didn't see Salty as any kind of long term option and they wanted to send a clear message to Vasquez & Swihart that they had enough confidence in both of them to be the future, and sooner rather than later, Salty was as well liked & well respected throughout the organization as anyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Some people might say that the Sox Organization had a ton of respect for Salty and appreciated everything he did here, so they did him a favor by not attaching the pick to him.  

Even though they didn't see Salty as any kind of long term option and they wanted to send a clear message to Vasquez & Swihart that they had enough confidence in both of them to be the future, and sooner rather than later, Salty was as well liked & well respected throughout the organization as anyone.

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox were 100% sure Salty would reject the QO, they'd have offered it to him.

The Drew case shows that they never really wanted Drew at $14.1M/1, but were certain he'd refuse the offer, and they'd get the pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I was advocating the offering of a Q.O. to Salty and some thought I was crazy.  I know the AAV would have been a large overpay, but the market for catchers was very thin, and catching is hard to come by.  Salty may not be the best catcher, but he proved to be one of the most durable in all of baseball last year.

I think in hindsight the Sox would have offered Salty a Q.O. and not offered one to Drew.  Although how players have misjudged the market leads me to believe he still would have declined.  This year was a learning experience for both sides in terms of compensation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox were 100% sure Salty would reject the QO, they'd have offered it to him.

The Drew case shows that they never really wanted Drew at $14.1M/1, but were certain he'd refuse the offer, and they'd get the pick.

[/QUOTE]

Again, they were doing him a favor by not attaching the pick to him.  They were okay with Drew accepting the offer, as the organization seemed to be pretty split on bringing him back.  They didn't want Salty back, but they also did him a favor, whether you believe it or not.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

So realistically...Xander Bogaerts is a stud.

http://m.redsox.mlb.com/video/v31440489/bosstl-bogaerts-jacks-a-tworun-homer-to-left/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140305_19569004

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If the sox offered a QO Salty would have been even dumber than I think he is to not take it. He got offered $30 mil without the QO. How much would he have been offered with it. Maybe $20 mil?

The guy is a dumbbell. Sorry but you can absolutely bet he would have taken the 1 year deal at $14 mil once someone explained the numbers to him. He is a big puppy wandering around trying to be a good guy but not seeing the details.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

And the details are very important for a catcher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We'd need two OF injuries beyond one to Sizemore to be in big trouble. I don't think Carps value as an emergency OF'er is as high as what we can get in return for him at a position of greater need.... such as RH'd OF'er or pen help.

Gomes or Nava can go from platoon to fulltime.

We also have Hassan and Brentz as emergency OF'ers who can be called up to carry us until we pick up a replacement OF'er on the cheap from somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

RS are in a tough spot. Not enough roster spots and depth at every position. Guess if you have to move someone like Carp to create a spot for Sizemore, then the best solution is trade for a young prospect like Josh Bell and hope he developes into what many beleive he can be and he helps you a couple of yrs down the road when guys like Sizemore / Gomes / Vic are possibly no longer with us. Many teams probably wish they had same type of problems as RS. But lets face it guys like Nava / Carp had career yrs last year, are they capable of better - who knows. But better to deal a player when his value is high if forced to. If both were to regress and go back to career norms, then next off season no way your getting a highly rated A ball player, right now possibly could. If Pirates view Carp as a fultime 1B for them this year, then RS should be able to get a pretty good return. They won't give up Meadows in this type of deal but a kid like Bell they quite possibly would w/ the depth they have.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So realistically...Xander Bogaerts is a stud.

http://m.redsox.mlb.com/video/v31440489/bosstl-bogaerts-jacks-a-tworun-homer-to-left/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140305_19569004

[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for a video of this...nice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the sox offered a QO Salty would have been even dumber than I think he is to not take it. He got offered $30 mil without the QO. How much would he have been offered with it. Maybe $20 mil?

The guy is a dumbbell. Sorry but you can absolutely bet he would have taken the 1 year deal at $14 mil once someone explained the numbers to him. He is a big puppy wandering around trying to be a good guy but not seeing the details.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be a dumbbell to be confused by the niceties of the current free agency setup.  Most players rely on their agents to make these decisions.  And even the agents are screwing things up. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Again, they were doing him a favor by not attaching the pick to him.  They were okay with Drew accepting the offer, as the organization seemed to be pretty split on bringing him back.  They didn't want Salty back, but they also did him a favor, whether you believe it or not.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree that the motive was "doing him a favor", and for what he signed for, he'd have been better off at $14.1M/1, so in hindsight, I don't see it as a favor.