A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

• The offer Jarrod Saltalamacchia received from the Red Sox this offseason was the lowest of the six or seven offers presented to him, the catcher told reporters, including the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo (Twitter link). The Boston Herald's Scott Lauber tweetsthat despite signing for a much lower average annual value, Saltalamacchia said he wouldn't have accepted a qualifying offer from the Red Sox, as he preferred multiyear security. The Globe's Matt Pepin has full quotes from Saltalamacchia, who said Boston's best offer was for two years, but "not a straight two-year deal," adding that there "were other things involved."

Sounds like we may have gotten another draft choice had we offered Salty a QO.

Some people might say that the Sox Organization had a ton of respect for Salty and appreciated everything he did here, so they did him a favor by not attaching the pick to him.  

Even though they didn't see Salty as any kind of long term option and they wanted to send a clear message to Vasquez & Swihart that they had enough confidence in both of them to be the future, and sooner rather than later, Salty was as well liked & well respected throughout the organization as anyone.

If the Sox were 100% sure Salty would reject the QO, they'd have offered it to him.

The Drew case shows that they never really wanted Drew at $14.1M/1, but were certain he'd refuse the offer, and they'd get the pick.

Again, they were doing him a favor by not attaching the pick to him.  They were okay with Drew accepting the offer, as the organization seemed to be pretty split on bringing him back.  They didn't want Salty back, but they also did him a favor, whether you believe it or not.

I disagree that the motive was "doing him a favor", and for what he signed for, he'd have been better off at $14.1M/1, so in hindsight, I don't see it as a favor.

"Disagreeing" is fine.  It's what makes this board interesting.  The problem is that you posted that "If the Sox knew Salty would reject the qualifier, they would have offered it to him" as if this is a "fact," when in "fact," it is your opinion.  I heard differently.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• The offer Jarrod Saltalamacchia received from the Red Sox this offseason was the lowest of the six or seven offers presented to him, the catcher told reporters, including the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo (Twitter link). The Boston Herald's Scott Lauber tweetsthat despite signing for a much lower average annual value, Saltalamacchia said he wouldn't have accepted a qualifying offer from the Red Sox, as he preferred multiyear security. The Globe's Matt Pepin has full quotes from Saltalamacchia, who said Boston's best offer was for two years, but "not a straight two-year deal," adding that there "were other things involved."

Some people might say that the Sox Organization had a ton of respect for Salty and appreciated everything he did here, so they did him a favor by not attaching the pick to him.  

Even though they didn't see Salty as any kind of long term option and they wanted to send a clear message to Vasquez & Swihart that they had enough confidence in both of them to be the future, and sooner rather than later, Salty was as well liked & well respected throughout the organization as anyone.

If the Sox were 100% sure Salty would reject the QO, they'd have offered it to him.

The Drew case shows that they never really wanted Drew at $14.1M/1, but were certain he'd refuse the offer, and they'd get the pick.

Again, they were doing him a favor by not attaching the pick to him.  They were okay with Drew accepting the offer, as the organization seemed to be pretty split on bringing him back.  They didn't want Salty back, but they also did him a favor, whether you believe it or not.

I disagree that the motive was "doing him a favor", and for what he signed for, he'd have been better off at $14.1M/1, so in hindsight, I don't see it as a favor.

"Disagreeing" is fine.  It's what makes this board interesting.  The problem is that you posted that "If the Sox knew Salty would reject the qualifier, they would have offered it to him" as if this is a "fact," when in "fact," it is your opinion.  I heard differently.  

It's about as close to a fact as possible. There's no way the Sox give up a draft choice as a "favor" to Salty.

I am 99.99% positive, they expected Salty would take the QO, and they did not want to pay him $14.1M, when they could get about the same player for $8M (AJ P).

As it turned out, I agree, it was a favor to Salty in one way: he got more money than he would have  gotten had the lost draft pick been attached to him, but in hindsight, I think he'd have made more money taking $14.1M this year and hitting the market again next year... that is an opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

It's about as close to a fact as possible. There's no way the Sox give up a draft choice as a "favor" to Salty.

I am 99.99% positive, they expected Salty would take the QO, and they did not want to pay him $14.1M, when they could get about the same player for $8M (AJ P).

As it turned out, I agree, it was a favor to Salty in one way: he got more money than he would have  gotten had the lost draft pick been attached to him, but in hindsight, I think he'd have made more money taking $14.1M this year and hitting the market again next year... that is an opinion.

Obviously, the "human element" of the game of baseball often escapes you, but you're clearly stating an opinion here.  Again, whether or not you believe it or not is irrelevant to me, as I'll agree to disagree.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Obviously, the "human element" of the game of baseball often escapes you, but you're clearly stating an opinion here.  Again, whether or not you believe it or not is irrelevant to me, as I'll agree to disagree.  

"Obviously" you have no idea about my views on "the human element".  Feel free to disagree.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I haven't heard anything about my boy Wright this spring--nor did I see him down in FM.  Have  you seen him at all Jid?  Please keep me informed as I have to keep a special eye on this kid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

I haven't heard anything about my boy Wright this spring--nor did I see him down in FM.  Have  you seen him at all Jid?  Please keep me informed as I have to keep a special eye on this kid.

Not seen hide nor hair of him. I thought I read somewhere that he was ijured and being brought along slowly, but not really sure of that. Heading over today and I'll try some investigative reporting.Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's how soxprospects.com has our pitching depth chart set up:

AA and above only...

Starters (also see swingmen):

Lester

Buchholz

Lackey

Peavy

Doubront

Capuano

Webster

Wright

Ely

Ranaudo

barnes

Owens

Pena

Hinojosa

Swingmen:

de la Rosa

Britton

Workman

Couch

Hernandez

Kehrt

McCarthy

Relievers:

Uehara

Tazawa

Breslow

Mujica

Miller

Badenhop

Wilson

Villareal

Hill

Layne

Mijares

Cordero

Resop

Watanabe

Valdez

Ramirez

Celestino

Balcom-Miller

Kurcz

Ruiz

D Diaz

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Wright had hernia surgery the same day Dempster made his announcement (this is probably why you didn't hear about it) and wil be out until sometime in May.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Crit, you sent your intrepid reporter on a mission to find out the truth about Steven Wright and I find myself being scooped by this interloper "wherecrazyscreamingcomesfrom" who's picture looks conspicuously like the real Steven Wright. He did indeed have hernia surgery, I was told he had it in January so my scooper and me disagree on that little detail, but is not expected back until May at best.

Finally a win at the Fort today and I'll be back after dinner to report in much more detail. Suffice it to say we got great pitching, timely hitting, beautiful weather, overpriced snacks and t-shirts, and all around bonhommie. More later...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

The best game the team has played thus far this spring. Doubie was outstanding, overpowering Braves hitters with his heat and getting them to chase breaking balls down in the zone. He was so effective that Farrell sent him out for a fourth inning when he was only scheduled to go three. He was followed by Koji who actually walked a hitter on the way to a scoreless and hitless inning. Tazawa followed and gave up a monster home run to Heywood. Mujica, Badenhop and Cordero each pithed an inning with a bloop allowed by Badenhop being the only blemish. Cordero looked very strong with two strike-outs in his inning, but it was against the scrubs. Doubie, Koji and Tazawa all faced a pretty formidable Braves lineup, with at least five starters, a rarity for a road team in ST.

The offense struggled again to score runs, finally having Gomes deliver a two-out, run-scoring single to tie the game in the bottom of the sixth. The Boston scrubs broke it open with three in the bottom of the seventh. It was an interesting rally, all with two outs, started by a Vasquez walk. Corey Brown followed with a ground single to right and Vasquez hustled all the way to third, running better than any Molina I've ever seen. Herrera, who everyone is going to like, hit what should have been a pretty routine single to left-center but hustled it into a double, knocking in one run and putting runners on second and third. Lavarnway brought those two in with a base hit that really should have been caught by the Braves' centerfielder. And that was the scoring; enough on a day when the pitchers dominated.

Other random thoughts...Bogey had an ugly at bat today, chasing breaking balls in the dirt. It was his first ugly at bat that I've seen from him this spring. His other outs were scalded, as has been most everything he's hit this spring. Sizemore had two hits, one a dribbler, one a shot. Ortiz finally jacked a ball, "settling" for a 420 foot double that anyone else would have tripled on. Pedey and Middy each had cheap hits, a fairly big deal inasmuch as neither has come close to sniffing a hit before today.

Bogey and Middy both made good defensive plays. It's been a little more than a week and Bogey is not Iggy, nor is he Drew, but he is going to be a very solid shortstop whose offense will more than make up for his defensive shortcomings. This coming from a guy who always preferred defense over offense from my middle-infielders. You may have noticed that there has been very little lately from Farrell praising Steven Drew, as I have been told that Farrell was told that Bogey and Middy are his left side; deal with it. It seems the front office wants any Drew talk to die a quiet death.

Nava made a nice diving catch on a ball tyhat he and Corey Brown obviously miscommunicated on. It looked like Brown called all the way but backed off at the last second, forcing Nava to dive and catch the ball inches from the turf.

There was a wierd substitution in the seventh as Vasquez came in to catch Mujica in the seventh, batted in the bottom of the seventh, then left as Butler came in to catch the last two. Some of us geniuses surmised the the McCann-less Braves might have wanted to take a look at Butler??? They used Gerald Laird today and I think he has an issue with his MLB pay interfering with his social security.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Crit, you sent your intrepid reporter on a mission to find out the truth about Steven Wright and I find myself being scooped by this interloper "wherecrazyscreamingcomesfrom" who's picture looks conspicuously like the real Steven Wright. He did indeed have hernia surgery, I was told he had it in January so my scooper and me disagree on that little detail, but is not expected back until May at best.

Finally a win at the Fort today and I'll be back after dinner to report in much more detail. Suffice it to say we got great pitching, timely hitting, beautiful weather, overpriced snacks and t-shirts, and all around bonhommie. More later...

Didn't mean to step on your toes, I don't post here much, but I've been reading since critter was actually called critter, and softlaw was just annoying, instead of full-blown insane (and gone). The picture is of a famous contemporary philosopher - I figured I'd followed moonslav's lead with that one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great report jid, thanks.

I like to see us hustling the basepaths.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Thanks Jid and Scream--I was wondering why I hadn't heard about Wright.  I'm glad Doobie had a strong day--hoping he takes another step this season.  At this point I'm not concerned about their slow offense or even the pitching.  As long as they start to get in a groove by the end of ST I think we'll be fine.  Looks like Doobie might be ahead of the other starters; hey, let's write this down in our scrap books Moon!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad Doubie's attitude is adjusted!

The kid has got mad skills. Could be a big year for the Doobmiester.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to wherescreamingcomesfrom's comment:

Didn't mean to step on your toes, I don't post here much, but I've been reading since critter was actually called critter, and softlaw was just annoying, instead of full-blown insane (and gone). The picture is of a famous contemporary philosopher - I figured I'd followed moonslav's lead with that one.

My response was totally toungue-in-cheek scream. Thanks for your contribution. Unlike Crit I've never been eneamored of Wright the pitcher (always liked Wright the comedian/philosopher) so if we're going to be down a pitcher, he's a good one to be missing. I just think we have much better options in our very deep minor league stable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Jid another well put together post. Really should talk to Herald or Globe, get more out of you posts! Really like what I'm seeing from Doubie, this is a great sign for RS. Looks like he's finally matured, showed up to camp in shape, doesn't seem to get rattled [Ross seems to help w/ all pitchers here] but he's been very impressive. Probably the most impressive of all RS players in camp so far. If he stays healthy really could see a nice breakout season 15-18 wins. We've seen it in spurts, now hopefully he's ready to put that total season together.

Another nice sign was game Marrero had the other day. RS really have some nice options for infield moving forward, between Bogey / WMB / Cecchini / Marrero / Betts and Pedey anchoring 2B for the next 7 yrs. Even if 1 or 2 don't pan out infield still probably set for the  next 7-8+ years. Probably be good to draft an OF prospect or 2 + 1B and we'll really have a nice run for the next 10 yrs?

Another good sign is Grady. Seems to be getting back the baseball instincts. RS have made alot of these types of signs in the past. Older veteren trying to get back [Smoltz /Penney /etc] but this one if he stays healthy could be by far the best payoff. Again health is the big issue. But would be nice if we don't have to rush JBJ, make him force his way on to roster always best w/ young players, then forcing them when maybe not ready and lose forever.

Another good sign was Webster's performance following a talking to by Lester and Lackey who saw something mechanically. Lets see if he continues in next start. But another very good sign for RS future!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Jid another well put together post. Really should talk to Herald or Globe, get more out of you posts! Really like what I'm seeing from Doubie, this is a great sign for RS. Looks like he's finally matured, showed up to camp in shape, doesn't seem to get rattled [Ross seems to help w/ all pitchers here] but he's been very impressive. Probably the most impressive of all RS players in camp so far. If he stays healthy really could see a nice breakout season 15-18 wins. We've seen it in spurts, now hopefully he's ready to put that total season together.

Another nice sign was game Marrero had the other day. RS really have some nice options for infield moving forward, between Bogey / WMB / Cecchini / Marrero / Betts and Pedey anchoring 2B for the next 7 yrs. Even if 1 or 2 don't pan out infield still probably set for the  next 7-8+ years. Probably be good to draft an OF prospect or 2 + 1B and we'll really have a nice run for the next 10 yrs?

Another good sign is Grady. Seems to be getting back the baseball instincts. RS have made alot of these types of signs in the past. Older veteren trying to get back [Smoltz /Penney /etc] but this one if he stays healthy could be by far the best payoff. Again health is the big issue. But would be nice if we don't have to rush JBJ, make him force his way on to roster always best w/ young players, then forcing them when maybe not ready and lose forever.

Another good sign was Webster's performance following a talking to by Lester and Lackey who saw something mechanically. Lets see if he continues in next start. But another very good sign for RS future!

The Red Sox infield depth is really starting to show, and I suspect it will get stronger this year when Betts, Cecchini and Marrero will all be 1 step closer to the bigs (Cecchini will get a cup of coffee in august).  The Sox have really put a strong emphasis on drafting short stops, up the middle defense and pitchers the last several years.  If you look at the draft history you can see the Sox don't draft corner outfielders, 3Bman or firstbaseman at the top of the draft at all.  Their are some exceptions, like the time they took the "best pure college hitter" in the draft and took Kolbrin Vitek; they wish they had that pick back I'm sure.  But short stops tend to be the best athletes and if they are one step short at the pro level they usually turn out to be plus defenders at other positions.  Pedroia was a SS, WMB was a SS, Garin Cecchini was a short stop, Mookie Betts was a short stop and now they are all either major leaguers or top prospects at other positions.  I wish we drafted Allen Webster because he was a short stop (Casey Kelly too).

Of course one we are seeing holes in the corner outfield and first base, but those are also some of the easier positions to fill.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Gary, Webster's stuff is nasty. Last spring he was arguably the best pitcher in their camp, but couldn't bring it to the ML level in his short stints in Boston. The nice thing to keep in mind with him is that he's still only 24 years old and didn't start pitching until he was in college as I understand it. So he will continue to improve with regular work in Pawtucket and be ready in a pinch or next season, whichever comes first.

Sizemore looked very good yesterday and if he continues to flourish it creates a good problem for Farrell and the management team. I still believe it's Bradley's job to start the year, but every day we don't see Victorino opens the door a little wider for Sizemore. I'm of the opinion that either or both of Carp and Lavarnway will be moved before ST is over since Lavarnway doesn't fit into the catching rotation and his right-handed bat duplicates Napoli at first. Similarly, Carp is redundant with all the left-handed hitters in the outfield rotation. Gomes/Nava, Bradley Jr., Victorino and Sizemore creates great defensive options but a left-handed centered outfield. They are giving both Brentz and Hassan(both right-handed hitters) very good looks this spring, but unless someone is moved, or Vic is more damaged than we know, there are no spots for them. Then there is also Corey Brown who has MLB experience, but I don't see him as anything but AAA depth.

Marrero creates another pleasant problem to have. To me he looks like Iggy without the flash and a better stick. He will defintely start the season at AAA but could also become a trade chip at some point as he appears to be too good to settle for a backup infielders role. Herrera looks perfect for that role as he appears to be a tough out, has very good speed and baserunning instincts, and has looked solid at all three infield positions besides first. Brock Holt looks like a guy about to lose his job, at least as far as Boston goes, and Heiker Meneses (my favorite name on the team!) looks like a longer term bet to be the utility infielder, versatile with a little pop ans speed.

I don't know how the contracts of Cordero, Layne or Mijares are worded, but all look like they belong in an MLB bullpen, although there doesn't appear to be any room in ours. If they can contractually, and are willing to go to Pawtucket, they create great bullpen depth or solid trade chips for mid-season. 

I think this afternoon's split-squad game is on MLB network and I'll be "chillin'" at tonights game. So I might not make deadline before tomorrow. I'm actually breaking out the jeans and long-sleeve shirt for tonight as it could get down to the fifties, brrrr!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If the Sox knew Salty would reject the QO they would have made him an offer. Had he rejected it they would have received a draft pick. Baseball is a business and Salty has not earned any favors from management because he was not with the team long enough and didn't make the kind of contribution that warrants a favor. This was strictly a business move. Period. And yes, thats as close to a fact as you can get.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Gary, Webster's stuff is nasty. Last spring he was arguably the best pitcher in their camp, but couldn't bring it to the ML level in his short stints in Boston. The nice thing to keep in mind with him is that he's still only 24 years old and didn't start pitching until he was in college as I understand it. So he will continue to improve with regular work in Pawtucket and be ready in a pinch or next season, whichever comes first.

Sizemore looked very good yesterday and if he continues to flourish it creates a good problem for Farrell and the management team. I still believe it's Bradley's job to start the year, but every day we don't see Victorino opens the door a little wider for Sizemore. I'm of the opinion that either or both of Carp and Lavarnway will be moved before ST is over since Lavarnway doesn't fit into the catching rotation and his right-handed bat duplicates Napoli at first. Similarly, Carp is redundant with all the left-handed hitters in the outfield rotation. Gomes/Nava, Bradley Jr., Victorino and Sizemore creates great defensive options but a left-handed centered outfield. They are giving both Brentz and Hassan(both right-handed hitters) very good looks this spring, but unless someone is moved, or Vic is more damaged than we know, there are no spots for them. Then there is also Corey Brown who has MLB experience, but I don't see him as anything but AAA depth.

Marrero creates another pleasant problem to have. To me he looks like Iggy without the flash and a better stick. He will defintely start the season at AAA but could also become a trade chip at some point as he appears to be too good to settle for a backup infielders role. Herrera looks perfect for that role as he appears to be a tough out, has very good speed and baserunning instincts, and has looked solid at all three infield positions besides first. Brock Holt looks like a guy about to lose his job, at least as far as Boston goes, and Heiker Meneses (my favorite name on the team!) looks like a longer term bet to be the utility infielder, versatile with a little pop ans speed.

I don't know how the contracts of Cordero, Layne or Mijares are worded, but all look like they belong in an MLB bullpen, although there doesn't appear to be any room in ours. If they can contractually, and are willing to go to Pawtucket, they create great bullpen depth or solid trade chips for mid-season. 

I think this afternoon's split-squad game is on MLB network and I'll be "chillin'" at tonights game. So I might not make deadline before tomorrow. I'm actually breaking out the jeans and long-sleeve shirt for tonight as it could get down to the fifties, brrrr!

Marrero only got 72 at bats above single A last year and batted .236 with a .558 OPS. 

He is a strong candidate to start the year in Portland.  His ceiling might be that of a better hitter than Iggy, but he hasn't shown much in recent years to suggest he actually will be a better hitter.

Deven has put up marginally better numbers than Iggy at the minor league level. 

Iggy        .257/.307/.622

Marrero  .258/.345/.684

Keep in mind though Iggy was about 2.5 years age advanced than Marrero coming up through the system.

At this point Deven's only carrying tool is his glove, I'm not impressed with the bat.  He can make contact, but he has little power, uses his hands to much, and is too impatient.

I hope he proves me wrong and has a strong break out season.  Because he would be a VERY valuable player if he does.  Otherwise I think he is inevitably traded and plays SS for a 2nd division team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Hugh, the bat I'm seeing down here is better than anything I saw from Iggy. I was not aware of his stats, simply going by the eye test. We do agree on where he ultimately ends up though as I haven't seen him move around the infield like a utility infielder would do. He may well be in AA this year as opposed to AAA. But he's the only middle infielder down here, not named Pedroia or Bogearts, who has only played the one position. Maybe they fill the AAA infield with guys like Holt and Meneses and let him get regular turns at Portland, but wherever he goes he will be the regular shortstop. He is at least a AAA shortstop defensively right now, and more than likely a ML caliber ss right now.  But he's got no place in Boston now nor for the next ten years if Bogey is everything he appears to be.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hugh, the bat I'm seeing down here is better than anything I saw from Iggy. I was not aware of his stats, simply going by the eye test. We do agree on where he ultimately ends up though as I haven't seen him move around the infield like a utility infielder would do. He may well be in AA this year as opposed to AAA. But he's the only middle infielder down here, not named Pedroia or Bogearts, who has only played the one position. Maybe they fill the AAA infield with guys like Holt and Meneses and let him get regular turns at Portland, but wherever he goes he will be the regular shortstop. He is at least a AAA shortstop defensively right now, and more than likely a ML caliber ss right now.  But he's got no place in Boston now nor for the next ten years if Bogey is everything he appears to be.  

Here is his stats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=marrer001dev

I agree with you assessment.  With a little offensive progression he is a MLB player somewhere, maybe not as a starter but the defense is so good he has a floor of plus defensive backup UI.  Who knows maybe it's on the Red Sox, I really think in 2 years from now we will have a rotation at the DH position.  If there is a bit of a log jam a guy like Marrero/Betts could make the team and still get around 500 PA's not being a starter.  I actually look forward to it, might be nice to give pedey 10-15 days off as he gets into his 30's, and by days off I mean Marrero or Betts plays 2nd and Pedey DH's.

I think Marrero reaches Pawtucket this year, but it's probably not until august.  Even if he's hitting well there is little need to rush him at this point and if he is inevitably trade bait it might be nice to keep his offensive stats up if he's having a good season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Marrero reaches Pawtucket this year, but it's probably not until august.  Even if he's hitting well there is little need to rush him at this point and if he is inevitably trade bait it might be nice to keep his offensive stats up if he's having a good season.

With Brock Holt as the opening day Pawtucket starter and Meneses and Dent as the back-ups, I see Marrero playing in AAA this season. If Cecchini or Snyder are called up, Holt can move to 3B, and Marrero up to AAA SS.

I'm hoping he does well with the bat, since that is what seems to be needed for an excellent fielding SS to have a chance at sticking with the Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

With Brock Holt as the opening day Pawtucket starter and Meneses and Dent as the back-ups, I see Marrero playing in AAA this season. If Cecchini or Snyder are called up, Holt can move to 3B, and Marrero up to AAA SS.

I'm hoping he does well with the bat, since that is what seems to be needed for an excellent fielding SS to have a chance at sticking with the Sox.

I agree Marrero touches Pawtucket this year, but it's not like those other guys are top prospects who are going to push themselves up to Boston.  Yes on the flip side they in no way are blocking Deven, but they aren't going to promote him for the sake of promoting him.  His glove has been his carrying tool and he has done very very little offensively to warrant any of his promotions. 

I'd be very very very surprised if he didn't spend the majority of 2014 in AA ball.

Sections
Shortcuts