A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

I don't like to be negative with a guy I have barely seen ( Marrerro ) but to me he is a very possible trade candidate at some point. I think Bogaerts is going to stick at SS for a while and I like Betts better than Marrerro as the middle infield sub guy when both arrive in mlb. Neither is going to bump Bogaerts, Middlebrooks or Pedey.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

From MLBTR...

• Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino, tradtionally a switch-hitter, may abandon swinging from the left side altogether after finding success in the second half last season as a predominantly right-handed batter (via Maureen Mullen of MLB.com).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think Marrero reaches Pawtucket this year, but it's probably not until august.  Even if he's hitting well there is little need to rush him at this point and if he is inevitably trade bait it might be nice to keep his offensive stats up if he's having a good season.

With Brock Holt as the opening day Pawtucket starter and Meneses and Dent as the back-ups, I see Marrero playing in AAA this season. If Cecchini or Snyder are called up, Holt can move to 3B, and Marrero up to AAA SS.

I'm hoping he does well with the bat, since that is what seems to be needed for an excellent fielding SS to have a chance at sticking with the Sox.

I agree Marrero touches Pawtucket this year, but it's not like those other guys are top prospects who are going to push themselves up to Boston.  Yes on the flip side they in no way are blocking Deven, but they aren't going to promote him for the sake of promoting him.  His glove has been his carrying tool and he has done very very little offensively to warrant any of his promotions. 

I'd be very very very surprised if he didn't spend the majority of 2014 in AA ball.

True. Marrero will have to earn a promotion, and he will probably have to improve his offense to make the trip to AAA this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I don't like to be negative with a guy I have barely seen ( Marrerro ) but to me he is a very possible trade candidate at some point. I think Bogaerts is going to stick at SS for a while and I like Betts better than Marrerro as the middle infield sub guy when both arrive in mlb. Neither is going to bump Bogaerts, Middlebrooks or Pedey.

A lot can change in a year or two.

Once Napoli's deal is up, I could see Middlebrooks (or Cecchini) moving to 1B and possibly Bogey to 3B. We should know a lot more about Bogey's SS defense by then, so if he looks good, I agree, Marrero might be dealt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

From MLBTR...

• Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino, tradtionally a switch-hitter, may abandon swinging from the left side altogether after finding success in the second half last season as a predominantly right-handed batter (via Maureen Mullen of MLB.com).

Hope he does. Was very productive RH vs. RH, splits were almost identical think his OPS was a little higher RH vs RH than LH vs. RH. Only thing that scares you is he tends to get hit alot vs. RH's as he tends to crowd plate. Good for OBP, but hate to see him go down like Granderson last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shane has pretty much always had bad splits 

Last year, the injury forced him to bat right-handed vs RHPs. The sample size was not large enough to be very significant, but it was an rncouraging sign that maybe he can become al all around hitter.

2013 splits:

vs LHPs: .861

vr RHPs: .769

vs RHPs: .896 (as a RH'd hitter in 115 PAs)

vs RHPs: .706 (as a LH'd hitter in 229 PAs)

Career splits:

vs LHPs: .879

vs RHPs: .731

vs RHPs: .748 (as RH'd batter in 206 PAs)

vs RHPs: .730 (as LH'd batter in 3208 PAs)

If Shane could hit lefties and righties both at an .850+ clip, it would make a huge impact on our line-up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Shane has pretty much always had bad splits 

Last year, the injury forced him to bat right-handed vs RHPs. The sample size was not large enough to be very significant, but it was an rncouraging sign that maybe he can become al all around hitter.

2013 splits:

vs LHPs: .861

vr RHPs: .769

vs RHPs: .896 (as a RH'd hitter in 115 PAs)

vs RHPs: .706 (as a LH'd hitter in 229 PAs)

Career splits:

vs LHPs: .879

vs RHPs: .731

vs RHPs: .748 (as RH'd batter in 206 PAs)

vs RHPs: .730 (as LH'd batter in 3208 PAs)

If Shane could hit lefties and righties both at an .850+ clip, it would make a huge impact on our line-up.

I'm honestly not that worried at all.  He was always a better hitter right handed vs. lefties as opposed to hitting left handed against righties.  I know the sample size is small but in 208 plate appearences shane hit right handed pitching better from the right side than he did from the left.  I think he will be fine, might even be better if he focuses solely on batting from the right side.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm honestly not that worried at all.  He was always a better hitter right handed vs. lefties as opposed to hitting left handed against righties.  I know the sample size is small but in 208 plate appearences shane hit right handed pitching better from the right side than he did from the left.  I think he will be fine, might even be better if he focuses solely on batting from the right side.

Actually, the combined RH'd batter numbers were worse before 2013 but almost even between 2005 and 2012 combining all the years:

Shane vs RHPs:

As a LH'd batter     As a RH'd batter

'03     n/a                         .420 (66 PAs)

'05   .673 (17 PAs)            n/a

'06  .755 (310)             1.167 (3 PAs)

'07  .733 (356)                   n/a

'08  .762 (431)                   n/a

'09  .787 (499)                    n/a

'10  . 681 (456)             1.164 (11 PAs)

'11  .787 (438)              1.000 (3 PAs)

'12  .629 (423)               .500 (8 PAs)

Before 2013, Shane never got above .787 as a LHB'er vs RHPs. The RH'd batter sample sizes were very very small, but almost always better than as a LHB'er.

An interesting case study indeed,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Actually, the combined RH'd batter numbers were worse before 2013 but almost even between 2005 and 2012 combining all the years:

Shane vs RHPs:

Before 2013, Shane never got above .787 as a LHB'er vs RHPs. The RH'd batter sample sizes were very very small, but almost always better than as a LHB'er.

So this would suggest that Shane shouldn't see a drop in production switching to RH full time, and it might even help him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shane vs RHPs:

So this would suggest that Shane shouldn't see a drop in production switching to RH full time, and it might even help him.

I think the numbers and sample sizes makes it hard to determine what the future holds for Shave vs RHPs as a RH'd batter. The numbers certainly indicate he should try giving up switch hitting, at least for a while.

I found it interesting that when he first came up in 2003, he never batted lefty all year, but when he came up in 2005, he never batted righty vs RHPs. The following 4 seasons saw on 3 PAs as a righty vs RHPs. From 2010-2012, he only had 22 PAs as a righty vs RHPs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton By  Zach Links [March 9 at 10:10am CST]

In today's column, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe wonders if Marlins star Giancarlo Stanton could wind up with the Red Sox.  Marlins GM Dan Jennings swears up and down that Stanton isn't going anywhere and even if he was for sale, Boston would be one of many clubs in pursuit.  If things suddenly changed and the Fish made Stanton available, Cafardo wonders if a package of Will Middlebrooks or Garin Cecchini plus Matt BarnesChristian VazquezJackie Bradley Jr., and Mookie Betts could get a deal done. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I would not do this trade. As great a hitter that Stanton is, the one thing we learned about winning is it takes a deep roster. Make this trade and all the depth we thought we had is out the window. He's a corner OF w/ a ton of power who's not great defensively? Would you really give up all those prospects when you will probably be able to bid for his services when he becomes a FA? Ben is much smarter than this, and why Cafardo is a beat writer not a GM in MLB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

I would not do this trade. As great a hitter that Stanton is, the one thing we learned about winning is it takes a deep roster. Make this trade and all the depth we thought we had is out the window. He's a corner OF w/ a ton of power who's not great defensively? Would you really give up all those prospects when you will probably be able to bid for his services when he becomes a FA? Ben is much smarter than this, and why Cafardo is a beat writer not a GM in MLB.

I'm starting to take less and less stock into Cafardo.  If anything I would think the recent clash between John Henry and the Marlins would decrease any chance there was for these two teams to do a deal.  And again, it's not as if a deal was likely before anyways. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I love trades and I've wanted Stanton but I don't like this trade either.  Seems like too many of our top young prospects at four different positions plus a top pitcher.  So I'm with Gary on this one.  We're giving up half a team here for one guy.  If I were Jennings I would love this deal...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm starting to take less and less stock into Cafardo.  If anything I would think the recent clash between John Henry and the Marlins would decrease any chance there was for these two teams to do a deal.  And again, it's not as if a deal was likely before anyways. 

It's a close call for me, but I think I'd say no as well.

I like Swihart better than Vazquez (great arm an all).

I'd push Middy not Cecchini.

Betts may be blocked, but I guess if we trade Middy and move Cecchini to 1B or OF by 2016, betts could play 3B or SS (if Bogey moves to 3B).

I'd hate to lose Barnes, but I don't think anyone is projecting him to be anything better than a good #3-- which is very valuable these days, but out of Ranuado, Webster, de la Rosa, owens and others, we should have enough 3, 4, 5 type starters going forward.

The toughest piece of this trade for me to swallow is that Stanton would play a corner OF position and Victorino would have to play CF to replace the departing JBJ. As Shane ages, I think RF better suits him, even though Fenway's RF can be harder to play than CF at times.

Most Stanton trade scenarios mentioned Bogaerts and others, so this one is a bit different. It appears to be pure speculation, but I would not be surprised to hear a call or two has or will be made at some point regarding Stanton.

Just curious, but would you guys make the deal listed if we added Noe Ramirez and they added Cishek, and Stanton agreed to a reasonable extension as part of the deal?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm at the point that I almost always say no when I hear a Stanton trade proposal. Everyone thinks it will take a lot but it's still only 2-3 years of control of a guy who may well be not much better than Middlebrooks.

Call me crazy but it's real tough to bet on power bats sometimes. They can be streaking and a guy with Stanton's body type can also get hurt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton By  Zach Links [March 9 at 10:10am CST]

In today's column, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe wonders if Marlins star Giancarlo Stanton could wind up with the Red Sox.  Marlins GM Dan Jennings swears up and down that Stanton isn't going anywhere and even if he was for sale, Boston would be one of many clubs in pursuit.  If things suddenly changed and the Fish made Stanton available, Cafardo wonders if a package of Will Middlebrooks or Garin Cecchini plus Matt BarnesChristian VazquezJackie Bradley Jr., and Mookie Betts could get a deal done. 

Oh? Is that all? ;) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to alan93's comment:

Keep all of the prospects unless some are blocked from ever going up the ladder to the top. Trade only as a last resort or when the prospect tub is overflowing.

Who is blocked?

One could argue...

Betts by Pedey, but he could be moved to SS or LF.

Cecchini by Middy, but one could be moved to 1B after Napoli's deal is over after 2015, or Cechini could be moved to LF.

Vazquez or Swihart, but both could be on the ML roster by 2015 or 2016 as both AJ P and Ross are not under team control beyond this season. We also have Lava and Butler.

I doubt one can ever say a starting pitcher is blocked. If a kid is good enough, room can be made for him. We lose Peavy after this season and Lackey after 2015. Lester may be extended, but if now, there's more than enough room for 2-3 slots to be filled by these guys: Webster, de la Rosa, Workman, Britton, Ranaudo, Barnes, Owens and a few other longer shots. I suppose we could trade 1 or 2 of these guys and still have enough leftover to have a good chance 2-3 can become middle to back-end rotation starters by 2015-2016 and maybe better after a year or two more, but I'd like to hold onto as many as possible. My own personal SP youth keeper list is probably ranked like this:

1) Owens

2) Ranaudo

3T) de la Rosa

3T) Barnes

5) Webster

6) T Ball

7) Workman

8) Britton

9) Stankiewicz

10) B Johnson/ L Diaz

I'd like to hold onto Cecchini and Betts, but if we get a chance to get a player that could protect Papi and eventually try and replace a portion of what he brings to this team, I think he have to think long and hard about pulling the trigger on a blockbuster. I love the farm we have, and I have great hopes that some of these guys will be stars and not just capable players. It would be great if someone like Bogey becomes a lowcost stud at the plate, which would free up our budget to not have to spend big on QO free agents over the next few years and allow us to keep stocking our roster with guys like Victorino and Napoli. 

A lot to ponder. Try to keep a balance of youth and proven talent.

The thought of losing Papi at some point in the near future frightens me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

It's a close call for me, but I think I'd say no as well.

I like Swihart better than Vazquez (great arm an all).

I'd push Middy not Cecchini.

Betts may be blocked, but I guess if we trade Middy and move Cecchini to 1B or OF by 2016, betts could play 3B or SS (if Bogey moves to 3B).

I'd hate to lose Barnes, but I don't think anyone is projecting him to be anything better than a good #3-- which is very valuable these days, but out of Ranuado, Webster, de la Rosa, owens and others, we should have enough 3, 4, 5 type starters going forward.

The toughest piece of this trade for me to swallow is that Stanton would play a corner OF position and Victorino would have to play CF to replace the departing JBJ. As Shane ages, I think RF better suits him, even though Fenway's RF can be harder to play than CF at times.

Most Stanton trade scenarios mentioned Bogaerts and others, so this one is a bit different. It appears to be pure speculation, but I would not be surprised to hear a call or two has or will be made at some point regarding Stanton.

Just curious, but would you guys make the deal listed if we added Noe Ramirez and they added Cishek, and Stanton agreed to a reasonable extension as part of the deal?

A trade like this would actually go against the Red Sox whole drafting strategy from the past decade or more. If Stanton was a CF, I wld possibly change my tune. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's hard to sign Manny Ramirez types as free agents anymore. Seems like the very best of the best hardly ever reach free agency anymore.

Teams can win without megastars, but it certainly helps to have a Papi or two in your lineup. We may develop the next Papi or Manny type hitter from within, but chances are we will have to go outside our system to pick up somebody big at some point over the next 2-3 years, especially when Papi retires or declines.

Having a strong and deep farm system puts us in a good position either way we go. You are right, we haven't traded top prospects in a blockbuster since the Beckett/Lowell for HanRam/A Sanchez deal over a decade ago, but we have made offers of the like, for example the reported mega offers for J. Santana & later King Feliz. 

For the right player, I think Ben would pull the trigger, but I'm not sure Stanton is "that guy". One plus on Stanton is his low budget cost for the first year or so, but I do not think we'd trade 5 prospects for him, unless he agreed to extend at a reasonable cost.

Who else is out there that is available and could come close to filling Papi's shoes in our line-up? I realize that just because Stanton seems like the best "gettable guy", doesn't mean we give away half our future for him. 

Last year the Rays got Myers and Ordozzi for Shields and Davis. Rumor was we may have been able to get Myers for Lester, but then we'd have had to have signed a big FA SP to fill Lester's shoes (like maybe A Sanchez). Water under the bridge, I know, but there are examples of those deals that come along from time to time. Maybe as the season progresses, some big player becomes available that is not thought of at this point in time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Sorry for the delays guys, just very busy and distracted. I'll write alot more about today's win a bit later but first a few words about Saturday night's stinker...

First, and I don't expect much sympathy, but it was only 50 degres Saturday night in Fort Myers, brrr. 

Second, the people who usually sit next to me, wonderful people, had given up their tickets which were used bya couple drunk know-it-alls who would not shut up all night long. Some of their musings "Middlebrooks s###s and is gone" ,"Pedroia is overrated", "Ortiz is a fat juicer", "Bogearts can't play short and will be an outfielder next year", "I know people and Kemp will be here next week, mark my words", "racial slur Bradley will be traded with Middlebrooks, Peavy and some minor leaguers for Kemp", and "Drew will be signed next week, in fact he's already here in Fort Myers". Please note the quotations! NONE of these words are mine!

Then to top it all off the team got one hit in the first seven innings, committed five errors which could have/should have been seven errors, and the pitchers got bombed. The highlight was watching Watanabe's 62 mph slider and 71 mph fastball get knocked all over the yard. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I watched Sunday's game on my computer and it's good to see the varsity pitching staff. Clay looked great, as did Hinajosa. And Brentz hit another bomb and so did Middlebrooks. Brooksies was most encouraging as it went to the opposite field and was a no-doubter.

And speaking of varsity pitchers, Lester made his debut today and looked just like he did when we last saw him dazzling in the WS. In the first he gave up a walk, which even the hitter didn't believe, and a broken-bat single, then just started throwing the ball by everyone else, finishing with four strikeouts. Capuano followed and his first pitch was sent into orbit by Longoria, but he finished his three innings without giving up much else. He does not throw very hard but everything has life. Pierczynski seemed to struggle with him, boxing alot of pitches and even having a few get through him. Ranaudo was wild but got out of a bases loaded jam in the seventh and was very good and efficient in the eighth. Mijares didn't help himself in a meaningless ninth, allowing the Tampa subs to touch him for a run.

The offense, particularly the long ball, was back today. Ortiz, Napoli and Corey Brown (I know there's not a spot for him here, but he's earning himself a spot somewhere with a very solid spring.) all hit bombs. Middlebrooks dented the wall, pinned the leftfielder against the wall to catch a screamer, and singled. When he came up in the second with two men on, I predicted that he was going to make the score three to nothing, mostly for my father-in-law's benefit because he doesn't like Will for costing us Jenny Bell, his words, not mine. I was wrong however as his shot to left was not hit high enough  and his double gave us a one to nothing lead. It should be pointed out that the rally started with Victorino taking the first pitch he's seen all spring off the elbow to reach first and Bogey drew one of his two walks, both of which led to runs scored. Ortiz went over the bullpen to make it two zip in the third, but Longoria cut that lead in half. Napoli hit a shot; he's been making very good contact all spring. Then AJ just missed a home run and settled for a double off the bullpen wall to score Bogey, who had walked. Middlebrooks followed that with a run-scoring single and the rout was on. And old friend Eric Bedard was looking around for a retirement speachwriter. Brown finished our scoring with a bomb to right. That was after he hit a laser of a ground-rule double his prior at bat. The ground rule cost us a run as Middlebrooks would have easily scored.

As good as it was to see us score runs, there were at least four more at bats where guys hit shots that were caught before they left the batter's box. Middlebrooks, Sizemore, AJ and Ortiz all hit hard outs that a foot or less in another direction would have all been hits. Our fourth inning lasted about two minutes as Bogey, then AJ and Middlebrooks all hit screamers but with nothing to show. Good signs though that the bats are coming around. Vic batted right-handed against righties and was hit then took a called third strike that he spent a lot of time discussing with the home plate umpire.

Sizemore is making a case. It will be interesting to see what he can do in back-to-backs and after a little wear and tear. He's so totally natural in centerfield it's like watching a prototype of exactly what a centerfielder should look like. Not saying Bradley has done anything to lose the job, but Farrell is facing a dilemma that he wasn't expecting but I'm sure he enjoys. Hope we get the varsity at home tomorrow and send the JV's to the Orioles. It will be interesting to see who or what Miami sents to the fort.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I'm at the point that I almost always say no when I hear a Stanton trade proposal. Everyone thinks it will take a lot but it's still only 2-3 years of control of a guy who may well be not much better than Middlebrooks.

Call me crazy but it's real tough to bet on power bats sometimes. They can be streaking and a guy with Stanton's body type can also get hurt.

Here are the 2014 WAR projections for Giancarlo Stanton and Will Middlebrooks from Steamer, Oliver and ZiPS as well as Oliver's five-year WAR projection:

GS S: 4.6, O: 6.1, Z: 4.3, O5: 32.1

WM S: 2.0, O: 2.1, Z: 1.8, O5: 10.0

And their MLB career lines:

GS 2002 PA, .265/.354/.535/.889, OPS+ 138

WM 660 PA, .254/.294/.462/.756, OPS+ 102

And their minor league career lines:

GS 1427 PA, .272/.365/.565/.931

WM 1902 PA, ..275/.332/.455/.788

Stanton is a year younger than Middlebrooks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Sorry for the delays guys, just very busy and distracted. I'll write alot more about today's win a bit later but first a few words about Saturday night's stinker...

First, and I don't expect much sympathy, but it was only 50 degres Saturday night in Fort Myers, brrr. 

Second, the people who usually sit next to me, wonderful people, had given up their tickets which were used bya couple drunk know-it-alls who would not shut up all night long. Some of their musings "Middlebrooks s###s and is gone" ,"Pedroia is overrated", "Ortiz is a fat juicer", "Bogearts can't play short and will be an outfielder next year", "I know people and Kemp will be here next week, mark my words", "racial slur Bradley will be traded with Middlebrooks, Peavy and some minor leaguers for Kemp", and "Drew will be signed next week, in fact he's already here in Fort Myers". Please note the quotations! NONE of these words are mine!

Then to top it all off the team got one hit in the first seven innings, committed five errors which could have/should have been seven errors, and the pitchers got bombed. The highlight was watching Watanabe's 62 mph slider and 71 mph fastball get knocked all over the yard. 

Maybe you can move to some empty seats, if the banter gets too annoying.

Thanks for the insightful updates.

Sections
Shortcuts