A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

I think Middlebrooks improves significantly and Bradley will also be decent. Sounds like overall the team will be solid.

I think we actually walk away with it this year. NY and Tampa could give it a run but the Orioles still do not have the pitching yet and forget about Toronto. Neither NY or Tampa are as deep. 

Ortiz is complaining about lineup protection. Maybe there is a reason he doesn't think he can be the "man" much longer. Let's hope he is still an animal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew didn't have a bad year imo, just a little too steaky for my liking. He tied his career high  for rbi in only 124 games ( of course it helps being on the Sox who load the bases every other inning).no complaints on His defense either. I'm one that is still a little surprised he's still available. That said, I think we see Bogey put up better offensive #'s virtually everywhere. BA, BB, HR, SB, XBH, you name it. Defense? Unless he pulls a Renteria out there, shld be fine. 

I agree: Bogey's offense will be slightly better than Drew's 2013 numbers, and he will more than likely do it for 150+ games. I think his defense will be worse, but I underestimated Drew and Aviles, so hopefully I'm wrong for 3 straight years.

Any (realistic) predictions on Bogey's end of year categorical stats? 

I'd guess something like .285  16  80 (.360/.420/.780), but I'm cutting him a lot of slack for his rookie season. I think eventually he'll be over .900.

[/QUOTE]

I was really impressed with his patience at the plate last year, in the highest of pressure situations no less. Hope that continues. I like those numbers Moon and if he stays healthy who knows? If he happens to jump right out of the gate, who knows? I think its gonna be another fun year! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, I was thinking about whether we could propose a trade with some of our pitching with Atlanta.  Do they have any up-and-coming that we might want?

[/QUOTE]

I'm really not an expert on other teams' prospects, but I sure would love to have their 24 year old starting SS, Andrelton Simmons. It's not going to happen though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Middlebrooks improves significantly and Bradley will also be decent. Sounds like overall the team will be solid.

I think we actually walk away with it this year. NY and Tampa could give it a run but the Orioles still do not have the pitching yet and forget about Toronto. Neither NY or Tampa are as deep. 

Ortiz is complaining about lineup protection. Maybe there is a reason he doesn't think he can be the "man" much longer. Let's hope he is still an animal.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see us walking away with it this year. Too many good teams in AL East. Yanks spent a boatload and will be much improved, if CC / Kuroda are anywhere near there former selfs - watch out, don't like the infield defense which could hurt pitching and not sure about bullpen even though they have been good in ST. Pineda is throwing the ball well. This could be a dangerous team. O's if they get any pitching they can bounce back strong. Rays enough said will be there til end, if Myers takes next step and helps Longoria to solidify offense, could be more trouble for RS. Who knows maybe the Jays pull a RS after finishing last after be picked to finish first by most, I doubt it, but if Batista / Reyes are healthy, they also will be improved. Think RS are favorites, but last yr everything went right, does it happen 2 yrs in a row - BIG ?

As for Ortiz, he just says whats on his mind. Better than someone like Jeter who always tows the Co. line? not sure. But Ortiz speaks from the heart, nothing wrong with that. Hopefully Bogaerts or Middlebrooks can develope into the hitter that RS envision and can offer Ortiz the help he's looking for. But not to bad now he's got Napoli behind him. Maybe he should look at what David Wright has to deal with in Mets lineup [Ike Davis or Lucas Duda] have his back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Wow Papi, diss Napoli why don't ya.  Pretty disappointing. 

Fearing the Yanks this year! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He didn't diss Napoli at all.  He said 'Thank God we have Nap.'

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Simmons is incredible isn't he. He may even develop into being a good hitter as well, for the SS position. I'd trade even Bogaerts for him right now. A young SS with his defensive ability is so helpful to a team. The Braves do have a solid core. Will they take things to another level with stronger pitching at some point?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He didn't diss Napoli at all.  He said 'Thank God we have Nap.'

[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks Hfx, didn't know that.  Only heard the part about not having enough protection for himself in the line-up which I guess I took as an implied criticism of Naps and well, everyone else too!
    We had a top offense last year, and Papi was a big reason, but not the only reason.  So, it's an odd complaint, and doesn't seem like one of Papi's better moments. But I guess I need to read a fuller account of the story.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What hitter doesn't want a better line-up around them?

I admit, it does seem like a bit of a diss on the guys already here, but I am pretty sure Papi's teammates are not taking it badly. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Simmons is incredible isn't he. He may even develop into being a good hitter as well, for the SS position. I'd trade even Bogaerts for him right now. A young SS with his defensive ability is so helpful to a team. The Braves do have a solid core. Will they take things to another level with stronger pitching at some point?

[/QUOTE]

The Braves top 10 prospect list is loaded with pitchers, so maybe it's just a matter of time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't see us walking away with it this year. Too many good teams in AL East. Yanks spent a boatload and will be much improved, if CC / Kuroda are anywhere near there former selfs - watch out, don't like the infield defense which could hurt pitching and not sure about bullpen even though they have been good in ST. Pineda is throwing the ball well. This could be a dangerous team. O's if they get any pitching they can bounce back strong. Rays enough said will be there til end, if Myers takes next step and helps Longoria to solidify offense, could be more trouble for RS. Who knows maybe the Jays pull a RS after finishing last after be picked to finish first by most, I doubt it, but if Batista / Reyes are healthy, they also will be improved. Think RS are favorites, but last yr everything went right, does it happen 2 yrs in a row - BIG ?

I was pretty low on the Sox chances last spring, but did mention that "if everything went right...". I'm much higher on our chances this year, of course, but agree that a lot needs to go right.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Ha!  I find it a little ironic that we extol Simmons (whom I'm not familiar with) and Boom says "He's incredible and may even develop into a good hitter, I'd trade him for Bogie right now..."  Gee, didn't we have someone like this on our team last year? I'm not implying I want to go back and change the trade--I never do that as it seems like a senseless activity to me--but RS never seem to value a D-first SS and always prefer an O-first SS.  Just saying... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ha!  I find it a little ironic that we extol Simmons (whom I'm not familiar with) and Boom says "He's incredible and may even develop into a good hitter, I'd trade him for Bogie right now..."  Gee, didn't we have someone like this on our team last year? I'm not implying I want to go back and change the trade--I never do that as it seems like a senseless activity to me--but RS never seem to value a D-first SS and always prefer an O-first SS.  Just saying... 

[/QUOTE]

True enough.

Although Iggy is a great fielder, Simmons is "off-the charts" awesome on D!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Simmons is probably a better hitter going forward than Iglesias also. I haven't looked at his numbers recently but from what I remember his defensive numbers were all time historic great. And he has some pop in his bat as well for a SS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Look at the young talent has just in Heyward, Freeman and Simmons, let alone their closer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsportsfan228. Show bostonsportsfan228's posts

Simmons is better on D, that is for sure, but I think Bogaerts will have a better hit tool, more power and an overall much more solid offensive approach.  I woudn't trade them straight up, but I wouldn't be sad with a guy like simmons at SS either. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Simmons is a more proven commodity and I think he will hit better eventually than he has so far. It's a tough call though. Bogaerts may well end up a much better bat but no way he comes close to Simmons defensively. Just my opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's how "off-the-charts" great Simmons has been at SS...

2004-2013 UZR/150 (750+ innings)

26.1  Simmons

19.0  Punto

16.9  Everett

16.5  Iglesias

11.7  B Ryan

11.1  Vizquel

(Notice how the Sox had control of 3 of the top 4 defensive SSs at some point in their careers.)

Simmons is nearly 10 points higher than the next full time SS on the list (Everett).

He is 24. He came up at 23. As for his hitting ability: he has a .256 career BA, .304 OBP and .400 SLG in just 840 ML PAs. His career line in the minors in just 1042 PAs with none at the AAA level and only 203 at the AA level.

.299  6  99  (54 SB/24 CS in 237 games)

.299/.352/.397/.749

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Simmons is probably a better hitter going forward than Iglesias also. I haven't looked at his numbers recently but from what I remember his defensive numbers were all time historic great. And he has some pop in his bat as well for a SS.

[/QUOTE]

But would you trade a very good fielding 3Bman with a .900 OPS for Simmons, assuming we had a capable SS to play SS as Bogey is that 3Bman?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

No AAA at bats for Simmons really sticks out doesn't it. He was so good defensively they rushed him. Which in part is why I think his bat improves over time. For a while there his defensive numbers were even better, in 2012.

In 2013 he saved his team 41 runs defensively at SS. That is off the charts great. In only 49 games played in 2012 he saved his team 19 runs. He was on pace to save his team almost 60 runs in 2012 defensively over a full season.

As good as Drew was at SS last year, he saved his team a total of 2 runs as compared to a league average SS.

Yeah, I'd probably trade Bogaerts for Simmons. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Bogaerts out hits him by a wide margin but he will never touch that glove.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

No AAA at bats for Simmons really sticks out doesn't it. He was so good defensively they rushed him. Which in part is why I think his bat improves over time. For a while there his defensive numbers were even better, in 2012.

In 2013 he saved his team 41 runs defensively at SS. That is off the charts great. In only 49 games played in 2012 he saved his team 19 runs. He was on pace to save his team almost 60 runs in 2012 defensively over a full season.

As good as Drew was at SS last year, he saved his team a total of 2 runs as compared to a league average SS.

Yeah, I'd probably trade Bogaerts for Simmons. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Bogaerts out hits him by a wide margin but he will never touch that glove.

[/QUOTE]

You know I am a huge fan of SS defense, but I couldn't see myself pulling the trigger on a Bogey-Simmons trade. I guess if I felt better and knew more about about Simmons' offense, I'd do it.

41 runs saved is a lot to make up for by Bogey's bat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I simply do not believe any SS can ever save 41 runs unless you compare him to a really weak fielding SS.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where do you get these numbers from, Prospects?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yeah, trading Bogaerts is a non-starter.  We all go off in the ozone on these things sometimes I guess.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I simply do not believe any SS can ever save 41 runs unless you compare him to a really weak fielding SS.  

[/QUOTE]

Well, some SSs make over 120 more plays than others in the same amount of innings. It does make it hard to believe that if say that amounts to 60 plays over the average MLB SS over 150 games, that it would amount to 41 runs, but I guess if he also makes 10-15 less errors, it could come close.

Sections
Shortcuts