A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I haven't given up on Coyle either but I think our left side is set for the next 3-4 years. We probably bring up Cechinni as a LF at some point and/or 1st base / 3rd base sub. He's a true baseball rat and should have no problem becoming that type of guy. And would really help the team with that sort of flexibility.

I don't think Marerro will become much more than a good defensive middle infield sub. Maybe start on a small market team.

Who knows what they end doing with Betts. I'd like to see him brought up as a middle infield sub who can also steal bases on demand. 

With Cechinni and Betts in those roles and doing well this would be a most awesome team!

You know I reaally like excellent fielding SSs, so I am pulling hard for Marrero to force Bogey to 3B. This would then allow Middy, Cecchini and Betts to fight over the 1B job after Naps leaves, DH after Papi leaves, and LF after Gomes and Nava leave.

Making one a versitile supersub is also a nice thing to have.

Moving one to OF could also help solve the seemingly fair-sized hole in the OF prospects list.

If Marrero does not make it, then Bogey at SS, Cecchini or Betts at 3B and Middy at 1B could work out well. If all three do great, one can play LF and sub for the others if needed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jid, I've been very concerned with Middy's fielding. He looked very good in 2012, but pretty bad in 2013. How's he looked to you so far this spring?

[/QUOTE]

Moon, Middlebrooks is very good at the slow roller he charges and throws on the run. He's also decent, but not very rangy, moving to his left. He has little or no backhand and doesn't move to his right very well. But my biggest concern is his flinching on hard-hit balls right at him. This would also be a great concern if he were to shift across the diamond to first as the toughest plays he would need to make there are the scoops on low throws right at him. All of this can be learned, and his bat is well worth the teaching effort.

Thanks, jid.

I was never high on Middy's defense, but he looked pretty good in 2012, so I thought maybe I had misjudged somewhat. I thought he looked terrible last year and figured he was probably somewhere inbetween his 2012 and 2013 demonstrated skill level.

I just assumed he'd probably be a plus fielder at 1B, but your concern mentioned is worrisome to me now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This new guy Layne seems to be pitching very well have not seen him pitch [LH I believe] any chance he takes Breslow spot if not ready to start yr?

Yes, Layne is a lefty, but with Miller and Capuano in the pen already, I'm not sure him being a lefty gives him an advantage over Cordero, Workman or anyone else.

Also see Vic did not play again, JBJ could make OD roster after all?

I think they are just playing it safe with Vic. I think he will be in the OD line-up.

Lavarnway from what little I've seen has looked not bad at 1B. Think RS would be doing him a favor by moving him, no place for him w/ RS and depth they have. Would hate to see Carp moved, love the pop he brings off bench.

If Carp is traded, Lava has a more valuable role on the depth charts than he has now. It's nice to have a guy on your roster who can be a capable 3rd catcher.

But I believe JBJ will have to be on roster by June, there's no way Grady can play CF fulltime the entire yr. unless someone goes down going to have to move someone. Hope you were able to get the early bird special, just need to be careful the over 70's crowd doesn't run you off the road.

I'm not so sure about Sizemore being a shoo-in for breaking down, but I certainly am not going to predict 150 games or even 130. What a huge plus he would be, if he stays healthy and returns to just 75-80% of his prime!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Sizemore is doing all the things that a physically challenged player doesn't do. He's trying to stretch singles into doubles, he's diving for balls in the outfield and crashing into walls, and today he attempted a steal, although it could have been a hit-and-run as the ball was put into play. It may well be that the team is forcing these things just to test his endurance and capabilities, but nothing seems to be standing in his way. I wrote a week or so ago that I just didn't know whether it would be Sizemore or JBJ. But now I'm of the opinion that they are going with Sizemore. And I have to agree because right now he is the better player, and if he is going to break down then it makes sense to get whatever productivity we can get from him before (if at all) that happens. JBJ is only 45 minutes away in Pawtucket. Also, the fact that they're playing Nava in centerfield in AAA games tells me that they are preparing for opening the season without JBJ. As far as Vic is concerned, what I'm hearing is they are being cautious and he could play if these games mattered.

Moon, Layne has looked very good and is now a darkhorse to open the season on the 25 man roster, especially if Breslow starts on the DL. I see the pen as Koji, Tazawa, Mujica, Badenhop, Miller, Capuano and any one of Workman, Layne or Cordero. I don't know Cordero or Layne's contract status and what options the team might have, but all three have been effective. Workman obviously has options and so may very well start in Pawtucket and stay stretched out as a starter. Longer term he is clearly the best of the three but having options can work against a young player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sizemore is doing all the things that a physically challenged player doesn't do. He's trying to stretch singles into doubles, he's diving for balls in the outfield and crashing into walls, and today he attempted a steal, although it could have been a hit-and-run as the ball was put into play. It may well be that the team is forcing these things just to test his endurance and capabilities, but nothing seems to be standing in his way.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but Sizemore was once a great athlete. I don't think it's a big stretch to think he has been able to work himself back into near top shape. I realize his past injuries are the type to be lingering or susceptible to relapses, but he certainly appears to be healthy. I also realize he's fighting for a job and a much larger paycheck, and I hope he is not over-extending himself by doing so. I trust Sox management is on top of this.

I'm really excited about Grady's return.

I know it is not going to be easy to replace all that Jacoby brought to this team, but I do see a possibility of Sizemore at least coming close to replacing his fielding and OPS. That would be extremely helpful. At the risk of being called a cherry-picker, here is what Jacoby gave us from 2012-2013:

959 PAs   .289/.342/.402/.747 (57th out 93 OF'ers with 700 + PAs)

or even 2013's...

636 PAs  .298/.355/.426/.781 (31st out of 81 OF'ers with 400+ PAs)

I wrote a week or so ago that I just didn't know whether it would be Sizemore or JBJ. But now I'm of the opinion that they are going with Sizemore. And I have to agree because right now he is the better player, and if he is going to break down then it makes sense to get whatever productivity we can get from him before (if at all) that happens. JBJ is only 45 minutes away in Pawtucket.

Plus, we may gain another year of team control by keeping JBJ in AAA until needed.

Also, the fact that they're playing Nava in centerfield in AAA games tells me that they are preparing for opening the season without JBJ. As far as Vic is concerned, what I'm hearing is they are being cautious and he could play if these games mattered.

Well, if they were to start Grady in AAA, they'd want Nava to be familiar with CF as well, in case of emergency or to be able to play there until Grady made it up to the big club, if JBJ got hurt.

I think it also shows management's reluctance to move Vic to CF.

Moon, Layne has looked very good and is now a darkhorse to open the season on the 25 man roster, especially if Breslow starts on the DL. I see the pen as Koji, Tazawa, Mujica, Badenhop, Miller, Capuano and any one of Workman, Layne or Cordero. I don't know Cordero or Layne's contract status and what options the team might have, but all three have been effective. Workman obviously has options and so may very well start in Pawtucket and stay stretched out as a starter. Longer term he is clearly the best of the three but having options can work against a young player.

I'm not sure of contract status either, except that Workman can be sent to AAA.  I hope we can keep Layne and Cordero as we certainly will need pen depth over the long season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

soxprospects.com does not have Cordero or Layne listed as needing to clear waivers if sent to the minors, so I think we can keep who we want on the 25 man roster.

They list 26 players on the Red Sox projected roster including Breslow and  with Carp in green (trade candidate).

The Pawtucket roster is...

SP: Workman, Ranaudo, Webster, de la Rosa, Kehrt, Barnes (DL)

RP: Britton, Hinojosa, Layne, Villareal, Hill, Wilson, Cordero

(on the bubble: Watanabe, J Valdez, C Resop)

C: Vazquez & Butler (M Brenly DL)

1b: Snyder

2b: Meneses

SS: Holt

3b: Cecchini

Lf: hassan

Cf: Brown

Rf: Brentz

DH: Lava

UT: Henry & McCoy

OF: Cousins

(On the bubble: Linares)

The Sea Dogs:

SP: Owens, Pena, Johnson, Augliera, Boscan

RP: Ramirez, Celestino, Couch, Hernandez, Price, Olmstead, Balcom-Miller, Ruiz, Kurcz

C: Swihart, Spring, Hernandez

1B: T Shaw

2B: Betts

3B: Betts

SS: Marrero

LF: Ramos

CF: Hissey

RF: de la Cruz

DH: Rivero

IF: Gibson

UT: Dent

OF: Wilkerson

(On the bubble: Nate Reed, Mike McCarthy, Leonel Escobar, and K Vitek)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I hope they can keep Layne in AAA for depth. Spring training results are near worthless. Last year, if we were going by Spring Training results, we would have thought Webster and Bradley were the 2 best players on the team!

Gotta say I am concerned about the lefty situation though at least some with both Breslow and Miller. Miller in particular.

I keep thinking about the year Sizemore put up 92 XBH earlier in his career. A great year for even Pedroia is less than 80. That was one incredible year. 92 XBH are off the charts in the modern age. 

We are all pulling for Sizemore. He could be huge. I've just got too much Redsox heritage in me to get my hopes up but it still creeps in sometimess! Ellsbury never came close to those numbers. If Sizemore can even be 80% of what he was we will take it in a heartbeat.

It is great to see Bogaerts and Middlebrooks hitting HR balls. If we get good pop from those guys hitting in the 5-7 positions, we will get tons of RBIs from those slots. Probably more than last year. I'm an OBP guy but I dig the long ball in the 5-7 slots in the line up driving those high OBP guys in.

Earl Weaver and his 3 run HR comment were right on target. One of those per game probably wins it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

For the record, even though I was disapointed we didn't sign any of the players I wanted, I'm still projecting the Redsox to win the AL East and even the pennant.  I think Texas is also looking good. 

I'm actually projecting the Redsox to win the AL East easily. Pretty crazy to project that with all the ups and downs potential in any year, the injuries...etc. If Papi is Papi though, again this year, we should win it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm not buying it for a second Regatoni. And no one else is here either. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

This new guy Layne seems to be pitching very well have not seen him pitch [LH I believe] any chance he takes Breslow spot if not ready to start yr?

Yes, Layne is a lefty, but with Miller and Capuano in the pen already, I'm not sure him being a lefty gives him an advantage over Cordero, Workman or anyone else.

Also see Vic did not play again, JBJ could make OD roster after all?

I think they are just playing it safe with Vic. I think he will be in the OD line-up.

Lavarnway from what little I've seen has looked not bad at 1B. Think RS would be doing him a favor by moving him, no place for him w/ RS and depth they have. Would hate to see Carp moved, love the pop he brings off bench.

If Carp is traded, Lava has a more valuable role on the depth charts than he has now. It's nice to have a guy on your roster who can be a capable 3rd catcher.

But I believe JBJ will have to be on roster by June, there's no way Grady can play CF fulltime the entire yr. unless someone goes down going to have to move someone. Hope you were able to get the early bird special, just need to be careful the over 70's crowd doesn't run you off the road.

I'm not so sure about Sizemore being a shoo-in for breaking down, but I certainly am not going to predict 150 games or even 130. What a huge plus he would be, if he stays healthy and returns to just 75-80% of his prime!

Moon, Really think RS would be better served to send Workman down to stretch him out, should starter go down he is first person to fill a rotation spot. Capuano has looked good, but prefer to keep him in his current role of long man / emergency starter.

Vic is starting to worry me. Not sure what problem is but seems more chronic? Last yr was in and out of lineup, after mos's off needs time to work on core strengthening and is held out of action at start of ST, then returns and couple of weeks in he needs more time off? beginning to sound like a bad back [take it from someone who can relate].

I agree Lavarnway would be more valuable as backup 1B and 3rd catcher on roster, the only thing that worries me is a lot of guys are not able to get a spot start here and there and be productive, something Carp was very good at last yr. Like the pop in his bat in PH'ing role also. Carp also has a flare for the big spot as well, always nice to have that on bench. But unfortunately someone is going to have to go if Sizemore continues his incredible comeback.

We both agree that Sizemore probably should play 110-130 games which means you probably have to have JBJ on roster at some point. Too many good players is not a bad thing, not enough would be alot worse!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, Really think RS would be better served to send Workman down to stretch him out, should starter go down he is first person to fill a rotation spot. Capuano has looked good, but prefer to keep him in his current role of long man / emergency starter.

I agree. He should stay a starter until (and if) he proves he cannot succeed in that role.

Vic is starting to worry me. Not sure what problem is but seems more chronic? Last yr was in and out of lineup, after mos's off needs time to work on core strengthening and is held out of action at start of ST, then returns and couple of weeks in he needs more time off? beginning to sound like a bad back [take it from someone who can relate].

I've had back issue too. I hope Vic can stay on the field more this year. I'd hate to see Nava out there too much.

I agree Lavarnway would be more valuable as backup 1B and 3rd catcher on roster, the only thing that worries me is a lot of guys are not able to get a spot start here and there and be productive, something Carp was very good at last yr. Like the pop in his bat in PH'ing role also. Carp also has a flare for the big spot as well, always nice to have that on bench. But unfortunately someone is going to have to go if Sizemore continues his incredible comeback.

If we trade Carp, I still think Lava starts in AAA, but if he is on the 25 man roster, he showed he can hit pretty well when playing sporadically. (I know, small sample size does not project future abilities.)

We both agree that Sizemore probably should play 110-130 games which means you probably have to have JBJ on roster at some point. Too many good players is not a bad thing, not enough would be alot worse!

Ideally, we could keep JBJ in AAA just longe enough to earn the extra year of team control, and while he is in AAA, Sizemore plays full time. It might take some creativity with roster moves by yo-yoing JBJ up and down to get Sizemore rest that is spread out, but I think it is possible. Maybe something like this:

3 weeks Grady ML/JBJ AAA

5 weeks both ML

3 weeks Grady ML/JBJ AAA

5 weeks both ML

15 days Grady DL/JBJ ML

2 weeks Grady ML/JBJ AAA

4 weeks both ML (September roster)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Goord article here, but they neglect to mention Coyle and Betts as 3B possibilities.   March 27, 2014 at 12:13 PM ESPN Boston: Thin on corners

While the Red Sox have two very intriguing third base prospects in Garin Cecchini and Rafael Devers, the system is otherwise quite thin in terms of corner infield depth. Here’s a look at the potential starters, bench players, and other interesting first baseman and third baseman in Boston’s minor league system.    POTENTIAL MAJOR LEAGUE STARTERS    Garin Cecchini , 22, hit .322/.443/.471 with 7 home runs and 23 stolen bases between stops in High-A Salem and Double-A Portland in 2013. A fourth-round pick in 2010, Cecchini has impressive offensive tools, including a sweet left-handed swing, excellent bat speed, solid plate discipline, and slightly above-average speed. He profiles as a .300 hitter with continued development, and while his present power is below-average, he has average power potential over the long run. This will be an important season for Cecchini in terms of showing more power. There have been some concerns that he has yet to show much increased upper body strength during his three seasons in the system, and some scouts have commented that his swing can be too level. On defense, he still has some work to do on his reads and reactions, but he has the tools to develop into an average defender. If he make strides with his power and defense, he is a potential All-Star at the hot corner. He’s currently on the bubble for a roster spot between Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket, with the PawSox seemingly being more likely to be his starting point in 2014. It will be interesting to see if he gets time at any other positions this season, given the chance that he may be blocked by Will Middlebrooks and possibly  Xander Bogaerts at third base in the future. Ultimately, when Cecchini does break into the majors, fans are likely to love him for his drive, baseball IQ, love for the game, and affable personality.    Check out the full column on ESPN Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Check this article out as well...

http://news.soxprospects.com/2014/03/scouting-scratch-low-minors-arms.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The AL East will be even more competitive this year.  

I pick the Red Sox to win the division and the Rays to clinch a wild card berth.  

I also think that Detroit to beat Oakland again in the ALDS for the 3rd straight year.  I do not blame Oakland.  It must stink to face Verlander in a decisive game.   LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I pick the Red Sox to win the division and the Rays to clinch a wild card berth.  

I also think that Detroit to beat Oakland again in the ALDS for the 3rd straight year.  I do not blame Oakland.  It must stink to face Verlander in a decisive game.   LOL

I've been warning for 2 years about the AL East beating themselves up so evenly that nobody gest a WC berth. Eventauuly, it may happen, but I agree: I think the rays are too good to miss a berth. I think the Yanks may also get into a WC slot as well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've been warning for 2 years about the AL East beating themselves up so evenly that nobody gest a WC berth. Eventauuly, it may happen, but I agree: I think the rays are too good to miss a berth. I think the Yanks may also get into a WC slot as well. 

completely agree, the only reason why a wildcard comes out of the east is because there are 2 now. 

I can see every team with between 80-90 wins this year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

completely agree, the only reason why a wildcard comes out of the east is because there are 2 now. 

The AL West looks tough as well, and KC and Cleveland could surprise this year, so I'm not sure any one AL Central Division team has a big ability to mow down their own division and slip by a much better team due to the weakness of their schedule. It can happen and will someday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The AL West looks tough as well, and KC and Cleveland could surprise this year, so I'm not sure any one AL Central Division team has a big ability to mow down their own division and slip by a much better team due to the weakness of their schedule. It can happen and will someday.

KC is stacked with young talent, and the Twins are one of the only teams with a farm as deep as Boston.  They got TWO guys who have Xander type talent (one of them is ranked above Bogey by consensus)  Unless they royally screw up their hand they should look pretty good in a few years as well.  Detroit is spending big so they should stay competitive as well. 

It's fun to see teams rise from last place to become good teams, Baltimore might surprise a lot of people in the A.L. East this year; especially if their young pitching really dominates.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Seen a lot of the Orioles this spring and that lineup is loaded! When they get Machado back (supposedly around May 1st) they will be even more stacked. It's all about the young pitchers of course, but in that ballpark a new record for home runs could seriously be challenged.

The Yankees lineup is strong as well but they have questions all over the place. How do you find spots in the order for four DH's? Who relieves? In fact, after some of their long-overwoked starting pitchers start to fade, who starts? And who plays defense?

Toronto is a mystery. Everyone's favorite coming out of spring training last year, they stumbled badly with injuries and sub-par performances. But almost the entire cast that was predicted to waltz into the playoffs last year is back, just waiting for the orchestra.

Along with the Red Sox, the most talented all-around team in the east is Tampa. Great pitching, great defense, and their offense just might be better than everybody thinks. Their pen is a questionmark, but it's a questionmark every year and every year it seems to be excellent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Seen a lot of the Orioles this spring and that lineup is loaded! When they get Machado back (supposedly around May 1st) they will be even more stacked. It's all about the young pitchers of course, but in that ballpark a new record for home runs could seriously be challenged.

The Yankees lineup is strong as well but they have questions all over the place. How do you find spots in the order for four DH's? Who relieves? In fact, after some of their long-overwoked starting pitchers start to fade, who starts? And who plays defense?

Toronto is a mystery. Everyone's favorite coming out of spring training last year, they stumbled badly with injuries and sub-par performances. But almost the entire cast that was predicted to waltz into the playoffs last year is back, just waiting for the orchestra.

Along with the Red Sox, the most talented all-around team in the east is Tampa. Great pitching, great defense, and their offense just might be better than everybody thinks. Their pen is a questionmark, but it's a questionmark every year and every year it seems to be excellent.

The AL really looks loaded this year.

Here's ESPN's top team power rankings "for the future":

1) Boston

2) ST L

3) LAD

4) TEX

5) PITT

6) WASH

7) CUBS

8) DET

9) ATL

10) KC

11) NYM

12) TBR

13) NYY

14) BAL

15) CIN

16) OAK

17) HOU

Obviously some experts think the NL has better top teams...

For this year, the Bleacher report has these rankings as of Feb 13th:

(Mine are after - based on paper)

1) STL  (LAD)

2) LAD (BOS)

3) DET  (DET)

4) WAS (STL)

5) BOS  (TBR)

6) ATL   (NYY)

7) NYY  (WAS)

8) TEX   (ATL)

9) OAK  (TEX)

10) PITT  (OAK)

11) CIN   (KCR)

12) TBR   (PIT)

13) KCR   (BAL)

14) AZ     (CIN)

15) SF     (LAA)

16) LAA   (CLE)

17) CLE   (AZ)

18) TOR  (TOR)

19) MIL  (SEA)

20) BAL  (SF)

21) SEA  (CWS)

22) NYM  (PHIL)

23) SD    (MIL)

24) PHIL  (NYM)

25) COL   (COL)

26) CWS  (SD)

27) MIA   (MN)

28) MN    (MIA)

29) CUBS (CUBS)

30) HOU  (HOU)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Right now the weather forecast for Baltimore for March 31-April 3 is very good.  Hopefully it holds up.  They're calling for a lot of rain Saturday but 63 degrees and sunny for Monday.  Knock on wood.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who will the O's starters be?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice to see Lackey rounding into form.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

20th pick overall in 2010.  

A reminder that not all top picks make it.

2010 Red Sox first-rounder Kolbrin Vitek has retired, reports Alex Speier of WEEI.com. Injuries slowed the toolsy player, who never managed to translate his raw abilities into production. As Speier notes, however, several other players taken in that draft have panned out quite nicely

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

20th pick overall in 2010.  

A reminder that not all top picks make it.

2010 Red Sox first-rounder Kolbrin Vitek has retired, reports Alex Speier of WEEI.com. Injuries slowed the toolsy player, who never managed to translate his raw abilities into production. As Speier notes, however, several other players taken in that draft have panned out quite nicely

2010 still looks like a good year nonetheless (Ranaudo, Workman, Cecchini + Brentz? Coyle? Ramos?), and 2005 and 2011 were obviously superb.

In between, despite the reputation of the Theo era as a player development machine, we actually whiffed on quite a few top picks. Jason Place, Kris Johnson, Caleb Clay, Nick Hagadone, Ryan Dent, Bryan Price.....Casey Kelly and Rey Fuentes may still have a chance, but otherwise those years look pretty darn barren.

Sections
Shortcuts