A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

All this stuff is very small sample size but the Delarosa data is encouraging. And I'm looking to buy stock in Mookie at this point.

[/QUOTE]

I think I have been a bit higher on de la Rosa than many here, and I was glad they kept him as a starter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, Moon and Jasko, you're all very good posters who offer much to this forum and these discussions. Perhaps the tension of our slow start is amping up your lack of patience with one another? Why can't we all just get along? It's not like any of you are trolling here or just trying to incite others. Let's keep the personal attacks and vitriol in John Farrell's discussions about replay where it belongs. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, I really liked this Stefan Welch, a big left-handed hitting corner infielder. Saw quite a bit of him in ST in both ML games and back field games and he's a legitimate power threat. Great swing, big pop.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boom, Moon and Jasko, you're all very good posters who offer much to this forum and these discussions. Perhaps the tension of our slow start is amping up your lack of patience with one another? Why can't we all just get along? It's not like any of you are trolling here or just trying to incite others. Let's keep the personal attacks and vitriol in John Farrell's discussions about replay where it belongs. 

[/QUOTE]

It is really just  boom being boom - 

[/QUOTE]

Way to bring the gas can to the fire.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

jasko has been taking the Mr. Know it all position for a long time while acting like myself and others act like we are know it alls.

I appreciate the peace keeping effort, and I suppose that life is too short to spend time on this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Moon, I really liked this Stefan Welch, a big left-handed hitting corner infielder. Saw quite a bit of him in ST in both ML games and back field games and he's a legitimate power threat. Great swing, big pop.

[/QUOTE]

Would be nice to have a surprise prospect jump the already packed top prospetc lists.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lol. It is okay he has told me numerous times he is a mature successful family and business man... I am sure he won't indulge my antics. He will take the high road.

Anyhow - we should have signed Kuroda

[/QUOTE]

Not many agreed with boom on signing Kuroda, even if there was a chance for him to come here. jasko is almost certainly right that Kuroda would never come here no matter what, but nobody knows with 100% certainty if he'd had taken $30M/1 to play here. of if we offered $22M/1, if the Yanks would even need to top it to get him- I'd guess probably not.

The point is, this is a site where many posters come to speculate "what ifs". Some are obviously preposterous. Some are more dreams than reality. Some we never know, even if a player, agent or GM makes a statement that sounds definitive. There are countless examples of someone saying something then doing the opposite, so pretending to know something as fact based on personal statements may be true many or most of the time, but not all of the time.

(I do think Kuroda would not sign with Boston, even for $30M/1, but boom's point about possibly driving up the cost to the Yanks is not outlandish.)

His point also involved trading one of our starters to fill another need somewhere, which is also not outlandish. I disagree with boom on this one, but he didn't deserve the abuse he got for voicing that opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

All this stuff is very small sample size but the Delarosa data is encouraging. And I'm looking to buy stock in Mookie at this point.

[/QUOTE]

I think I have been a bit higher on de la Rosa than many here, and I was glad they kept him as a starter.

[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall that he was talked of as having top-of-the-rotation potential when we first acquired him, but he seems to be forgotten often in our young pitching discussion. (I know he's not technically a prospect, but still.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Pedroia on Iglesias: "There is no way, in life, that you have hand-eye coordination like that and you can't hit. That's impossible. You just need to use it."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Pedroia on Iglesias: "There is no way, in life, that you have hand-eye coordination like that and you can't hit. That's impossible. You just need to use it."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Glad to be back.

Big win last night. Hope it is the spark that ignites a good run.

Sox4ever

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Bogaerts crushed that ball didn't he. I love to see the other dugout when he hits them. They always just look out on the field with an "Oh my God" look on their face. Like "now we have to deal with this guy".

Maybe I'm crazy but I've seen him hit 2 dingers in the majors now and both were tape measure shots. I don't want to sound blasphemous but his best approach might just be to swing for the fences. This kid has huge pop. 

He looks like a guy who won't just hit for a decent average and get on base. He looks like a guy who may very well put up a lot of 25-35 HR years. The closest thing we have had to Jim Rice, since Jim Rice!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Big hit by Ross.

Fantastic bunt by JBJ.

Starting to gel.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

You guys are off the "realistic view" train, and I love it.  Trends and stats are all important, but every so often it's nice to talk about specific games and plays. 

What continues to amaze me this season is how successful Lester is without a changeup.  I think he has one, but rarely uses it and certainly not last night.  For that matter, he also doesn't throw his curve very often, nor his slider. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester is making a strong case for an extension.

I can't see how we can lose Lester and stay a top competitor, unless 2-3 of our kids start shining in a hurry.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are off the "realistic view" train, and I love it.  Trends and stats are all important, but every so often it's nice to talk about specific games and plays. 

What continues to amaze me this season is how successful Lester is without a changeup.  I think he has one, but rarely uses it and certainly not last night.  For that matter, he also doesn't throw his curve very often, nor his slider. 

[/QUOTE]
    His big pitch is probably his cutter. It is amazing what pitchers can do after they have refined their craft for a while. With a great changeup, a split, a forkball...etc. And a solid cutter can make a huge difference just in changing the speed a little and getting the ball in on a hitters hands some. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

And by the way Max, I agree. I spend way to much time with the numbers and not enough time just enjoying. Seeing the kids helps with this! I love watching Bogaerts, JBJ .etc.