A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

again Mookies stretch is across Single A and less than 200 at bats in AA.  While those guys might not have put up the same numbers they were still putting up good numbers and saw a drop when transitioned to the majors.

All I'm saying is Mookie would probably see a large drop in production if he was promoted tomorrow.  I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't even hit .250.  I see him as a .300 guy but not right now.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Every time we rush a guy, we see the same result.  Just because Mookies numbers are better two levels down doesn't mean that he is the chosen one that will come up to Boston and hit right away.  Again it would not be unprecedented if he did, but history has favored players hitting an adjustment period when called up to the majors.....and even more so when they skip two levels. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

again Mookies stretch is across Single A and less than 200 at bats in AA.  While those guys might not have put up the same numbers they were still putting up good numbers and saw a drop when transitioned to the majors.

All I'm saying is Mookie would probably see a large drop in production if he was promoted tomorrow.  I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't even hit .250.  I see him as a .300 guy but not right now.  

[object HTMLDivElement]

Fair enough, and I do not think our positions are that far apart.

I am not for bringing him up right now, unless Pedey gets hurt at 2B.

I do see more of a chance of him being able to make a double skip than you, I guess.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Every time we rush a guy, we see the same result.  Just because Mookies numbers are better two levels down doesn't mean that he is the chosen one that will come up to Boston and hit right away.  Again it would not be unprecedented if he did, but history has favored players hitting an adjustment period when called up to the majors.....and even more so when they skip two levels. [/QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

We rarely rush anyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Every time we rush a guy, we see the same result.  Just because Mookies numbers are better two levels down doesn't mean that he is the chosen one that will come up to Boston and hit right away.  Again it would not be unprecedented if he did, but history has favored players hitting an adjustment period when called up to the majors.....and even more so when they skip two levels. [/QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

We rarely rush anyone.

[/QUOTE]

No we don't.  I don't think they want to rush Mookie either, which may be why they moved him to CF.  They had to do something, he was just not being challenged at all.  Moving him to CF buys them a little bit more time in Portland, but if he keeps this up he will be part of the early promotions this year.  

He has cooled off a bit, over the last couple of weeks he's been around a .300 hitter.  

Of course anytime you cool off and still put up a .324/.444/.514 that is saying alot.

I do think Mookie could be one of those guys who are able to make that AA-MLB jumps but I still think best case scenario he will see some kind of dramatic drop in production.  Even if his avg fell 100 points he would still be one of our best hitters, and I think it would at least be that.  If he could bat .260 right now with an .750 OPS that would be really really really impressive for someone his age. 

I'm a huge prospect homer, and I'll be placing my Bets (pun fully intended) on Mookie being a .300 hitter in the big leagues, but if he was called up right now I wouldn't be surprised if he could do no better than .240 his first couple of months. 

All the intangibles he brings between versatility and speed on the base paths could come in handy by seasons end, but we would have to burn a roster spot on the 40 man as well when he isn't even eligible this year.

So because he is not eligible for the 40 man yet I think it would be a waste of a spot to bring him up unless we were certain we were ready to plug him in there every day as a starter. 

IMHO the only way Mookie sees time in Boston this year is if he is still mashing the ball in a couple months from now.  That means he is still batting north of .360 and an OPS north of .900  

A lot could happen between now and then though.  I didn't think there was a chance in the world Drew would be back with this team a couple of months ago and I was wrong there.  I would LOVE to be wrong here, I would love for Mookie to come up and take the league by storm, and if the Sox call him up I won't complain about it and I will definitely root for him.....I just don't think it will happen. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Thanks Moon.  I just read that we've resigned Drew!  Evidently the people upstairs as well as the people in the seats saw that it was time to do something.  I think this accomplishes something positive: Drew to SS and Bogie to 3rd.  Does this mean Drew would leadoff?  Didn't he hit at the end of the order last year?  I'm just not crazy about Pedey leading off and I think your point is the order gets lengthened if he bats 3rd.  I think I would still bring up MB and try him in left.  Hugh, you may be right, I don't discount your point, but I don't see why we couldn't give it a try for a short term.  As long as he's successful, let him go.  If he struggles, put him back down.  I think Tito used to be good at pulling up a guy, letting him have a little success with the big team, and then sending him back down.  It might even be a good thing like, "This is where I need to be better."  I agree with someone on another site (Hill?) who says we still need to go get an outfielder with some pop.  I think we've got some leaders on this team too who can point people in the right direction. 

As an aside, does this sign indicate FO is no longer enthralled with the left side as is or just a reaction to Middie's injury?  This should surely tighten up our D and add a spark. 

Critter

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Critter

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:[QUOTE]In response to moonslav59's comment:[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:[QUOTE]

We rarely rush anyone.[/QUOTE]

No we don't.  I don't think they want to rush Mookie either, which may be why they moved him to CF.  They had to do something, he was just not being challenged at all.  Moving him to CF buys them a little bit more time in Portland, but if he keeps this up he will be part of the early promotions this year.  

He has cooled off a bit, over the last couple of weeks he's been around a .300 hitter.  

Of course anytime you cool off and still put up a .324/.444/.514 that is saying alot.

I do think Mookie could be one of those guys who are able to make that AA-MLB jumps but I still think best case scenario he will see some kind of dramatic drop in production.  Even if his avg fell 100 points he would still be one of our best hitters, and I think it would at least be that.  If he could bat .260 right now with an .750 OPS that would be really really really impressive for someone his age. 

I'm a huge prospect homer, and I'll be placing my Bets (pun fully intended) on Mookie being a .300 hitter in the big leagues, but if he was called up right now I wouldn't be surprised if he could do no better than .240 his first couple of months. 

All the intangibles he brings between versatility and speed on the base paths could come in handy by seasons end, but we would have to burn a roster spot on the 40 man as well when he isn't even eligible this year.

So because he is not eligible for the 40 man yet I think it would be a waste of a spot to bring him up unless we were certain we were ready to plug him in there every day as a starter. 

IMHO the only way Mookie sees time in Boston this year is if he is still mashing the ball in a couple months from now.  That means he is still batting north of .360 and an OPS north of .900  

A lot could happen between now and then though.  I didn't think there was a chance in the world Drew would be back with this team a couple of months ago and I was wrong there.  I would LOVE to be wrong here, I would love for Mookie to come up and take the league by storm, and if the Sox call him up I won't complain about it and I will definitely root for him.....I just don't think it will happen. [/QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

Great reply, and I forgot about the 40 man roster issue.

In hindsight, I wish we had started Mookie in the OF day one this year (or even some last year). Then, maybe we could be moving him to AAA right now.b That might have allowed us to better judge, if he is ready for the next step- sooner rather than later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks Moon.  I just read that we've resigned Drew!  Evidently the people upstairs as well as the people in the seats saw that it was time to do something.  I think this accomplishes something positive: Drew to SS and Bogie to 3rd.  Does this mean Drew would leadoff?  Didn't he hit at the end of the order last year?  I'm just not crazy about Pedey leading off and I think your point is the order gets lengthened if he bats 3rd.  I think I would still bring up MB and try him in left.  Hugh, you may be right, I don't discount your point, but I don't see why we couldn't give it a try for a short term.  As long as he's successful, let him go.  If he struggles, put him back down.  I think Tito used to be good at pulling up a guy, letting him have a little success with the big team, and then sending him back down.  It might even be a good thing like, "This is where I need to be better."  I agree with someone on another site (Hill?) who says we still need to go get an outfielder with some pop.  I think we've got some leaders on this team too who can point people in the right direction. 

As an aside, does this sign indicate FO is no longer enthralled with the left side as is or just a reaction to Middie's injury?  This should surely tighten up our D and add a spark. 

Critter[/QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

I hope we have enough money left over to get a big bat to hit 4th or 5th. With Drew at SS and Bogey at 3B, and out staff, I think that puts us in the top 6 teams going for a ring (on paper).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

According to a Herald article from earlier this year, I added Drew's contract and came up with this:

Luxury Tax Numbers:

David Ortiz: $17 million
    John Lackey: $16.5 million
    Jake Peavy: $16.5 million
    Mike Napoli: $16 million
    Dustin Pedroia: $13.3 million
    Ryan Dempster: $13.25 million
    Shane Victorino: $13 million

Stephen Drew $10.2 million

Jon Lester: $9.37 million
    A.J. Pierzynski: $8.25 million
    Clay Buchholz: $7.75 million
    Jonny Gomes: $5 million
    Edward Mujica: $4.75 million
    Koji Uehara: $4.25 million
    Craig Breslow: $3.13 million
    David Ross: $3.1 million
    Burke Badenhop: $2.15 million                                                                           Chris Capuano $2.3M, 

Andrew Miller $1.9 million,Mike Carp: $1.4 million, Jonathan Herrera: $1.3 million, Junichi Tazawa: $1.275 million, Doubront $0.586 million, Nava $0.557million, Middlebrooks $0.541 million, Workman $0.518 million, Bogaerts $0.517M, Bradley $0.502M, Wright $0.502M

Sizemore $0.75 million(+$1.25 Roster bonuses & 4M performance bones) 

Estimated Call-ups pay: $5 million

Player  TOTAL: ~$181 Million

+ $11M for benefits (insurance and benefits)

+ 3.9M to the Dodgers

Total Estimated 2014 Red Sox Luxury Tax Budget: ~$196 million

(assuming Sizemore and others do not reach their bonus qualifications)

I've seen different numbers on different sites, but I think we are either over the limit or too close to add anyone else without going over.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Antbody hear who will be sent down or cut to make room for Drew?

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What outfield bat could be a realistic trade target for the Red Sox?

The market might be thin because a contending team is unlikely to trade away a starting outfielder. The Red Sox probably can't fit an established outfielder's salary with in the luxury tax limits.

The likes of outfielders Scott Van Slyke, Jose Tabata and Michael Choice are unlikely to be difference-makers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What outfield bat could be a realistic trade target for the Red Sox?

The market might be thin because a contending team is unlikely to trade away a starting outfielder. The Red Sox probably can't fit an established outfielder's salary with in the luxury tax limits.

The likes of outfielders Scott Van Slyke, Jose Tabata and Michael Choice are unlikely to be difference-makers.[/QUOTE] [object HTMLDivElement]

I was thinking at the trade deadline. By then several teams will be out of it and in seller mode. There will almost certainly be an OF'er (or 3Bman) available.

Here are some possible salary dumps or other notable targets possibly available at the deadline - listed by teams with the worst record right now...

Houston: C Jason  Castro

Cubs: SS Starlin Castro

Arizona: 1b/LF Mark Trumbo, UT Eric Chavez (as a bridge), one of their young SSs.

Pittsburgh: none

Tampa Bay: OF Matt Joyce

Philadelphia: 2b to 3B??? Chase Utley, SS Jimmy Rollins, OF M Byrd, P C Lee

NY Mets: none (David Wright would be way too expensive)

Cincy: 3B Todd Frazier, OF Jay Bruce, SP J Cueto

SD: 3B Chase Headley, OF Seth Smith

Texas: OF A Rios, 3B Kouzmanoff

KCR: OF A Gordon, 3B Moustakas (struggling), P Shields

CWS: SS Alexei Ramirez

MN: none

MIA: OF Stanton, 3B C McGehee, OF Reed Johnson, RP S Cishek

TOR: not going to happen

Maybe Colorado:  Cuddyer

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We basically have no money left. I don't see a trade for a worthy OF. That boat has floated. It looks like the season is even floating away at this point. It's not that we are that far behind. It's that we seem to be falling apart at the seams. Doubront on the shelf. Buchholz looking hurt still big time. Peavy throwing up gopher balls. That right there ruins the season. 3/5 of the rotation in the tank. And they were projected to be good.

And the bats just are not there. I've been wanting them to just put Xander in the 3 slot for a while. We might as well ride the horse of the future. He's our best bet going forward. He's still getting on base quite well. A more aggressive approach and we might have that 20 HR bat again. Having Papi hitting behind him would seem to be a good thing. When it gets tight, they seem to pitch around him now. I say slot him in the 3rd slot and be done with it. 

What's the worst that can happen. We don't win games? We've lost 6 games in a row folks.

We've got to find a way to stop the bleeding and I don't think Drew is much help overall. It's just that Middlebrooks is probably out for a while. And so far he has not produced but it's still only about 80 AB and he has been injured quite a bit. 

Let's bring up Betts to AAA and give him some PT in CF and maybe SS. At some point we will need him ready even if it's next year.

Cechinni has been struggling recently. I don't think they saw him as near ready to help them at 3rd base. That must have been discouraging all around. I bet they did not want to bring Drew back but the pick was lost effectively already.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Without good starting pitching we are nothing. And the bat situation is even worse. I think I would consider just releasing Sizemore at this point. We have tried. It hasn't worked. We could keep trying but is he our best bet at this point? I don't think so. The current situation is Farrell probably has a lot of hesitation to dump the guy who helped his career so much in Cleveland. He was his star development. Now we have extreme loyalty towards Sizemore. An interpersonal debt to pay. It's yet another problem which needs to be addressed. Do I have faith it will be addressed any time soon? No. I don't.

The collective OF is hitting at near replacement level except for Victorino. And he can't stay on the field. 3rd base has been a sink hole. Our catcher can't catch very well or get on base much. It's ugly.

I'm beginning to think we can't turn it around. Drew was a last gasp effort. I don't think it turns the Titantic around.

A lot can change in a month. Wow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Finally off the schnied with a win today! It was beautiful day at the Jet as the Sox defeated a Baltimore team that didn't even closely resemble the team that will line up in Baltimore on the 31st. Jemile Weeks, the second baseman, is the only Oriole in today's lineup with a chance of being on the opening day starting lineup. Nonetheless, Felix Doubront went through their lineup like butter, allowing only one bloop single. The best part about his outing was that he consistently threw strikes.

Doubie problem has always been BBs (and high WHIP). The guy has some nasty stuff and a ton of potential.

Mujica aslo threw well, as did Layne and Ramirez. I was very unimpressed with Ramirez the other day against college kids, but he looked like a professional pitcher today. I don't know where Layne fits in, but a lefty who throws strikes and can move the ball around can always get a job in MLB. For now I guess he's Pawtucket depth.

Yes, AAA depth with a lot of experience.

The offense came to life some today, led by a Napoli bomb and consistent hard contact by Pedey, Bogey and Bradley Jr.. Bogey hit a gapper into right-center and flew out of the box thinking double all the way and he got there easily. Not many players double on that play, especially in ST. He was rewarded later when Bradley stroked a two-out run-scoring hit. Brentz continued to show me that he is a AAA player at best with a bad base-running play. He was on first when Gomes hit a shot off the left center wall and he paused halfway between first and second. There was a question as to whether or not the ball could be caught, but it was clearly deep enough to at least go to second and then react on to third or back to first. Instead Gomes settled for a 380 foot single and we had runners on first and second. It was a play my highschoolers know how to make.

I've never been as high on Brentz as many here have been, but he's got power and still has time to learn.

Conversely Gomes deked Delmon the doofus Young into only going from second to third on a long fly that hit high on the left-field wall. It cost the O's a run and allowed Wilson to pitch out of the inning and pick up the win, as Nap hit his two-run bomb in the bottom of the inning. Heiker Menenses, my new favorite baseball name, made a good baserunning play tagging to go from first to second on a long drive by Snyder, who hit the ball well twice. Heiker also let a grounder go through the five hole to put Baltimore on the board. We were gone by the time Baltimore scored five off of guys named Couch and Kepht(sp?). We did stick around long enough to see Yaz' grandson ground out in the top of the eighth; he got a nice reception from the crowd.

How old are we, when we can now watch a grandson of Yaz play?

Geeesh!

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately none of our young arms have developed enough to help our rotation and there are a couple we can probably afford to package as well.  Doub also doesn't appear to be getting much better and Clay looks like he needs TJ.  Like I keep saying we can only let guys develop just so long before they end up having little to no trade value to another club if they don't improve and three that jump out to me are Lav, Middy and Doub.

I'm still on the fence with JBJ as well.  He's still very young has some solid defensive skills but little power and doesn't look very good overall offensively.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Every time we rush a guy, we see the same result...

Give examples. I always thought the biggest gripe against Sox management has been we don't give our kids a shot early enough.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good comments, everyone.  Not sure Drew helps.  Good field, so-so hit on team with weak hitting and at a high cost.  Maybe Ben C was lucky last year.  And Farrell the genius not so much when pitching and hitting are weak.  Maybe Drew at SS will help pitching.  Maybe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Give examples. I always thought the biggest gripe against Sox management has been we don't give our kids a shot early enough.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

The gripes change depending on what day it is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever[/QUOTE]

The gripes change depending on what day it is. 

[/QUOTE]

Seriously though, the last time I ever heard a sustained gripe about bringing a prospect up too soon was with Buchholz. How long ago was that?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I think Drew improves our defense at SS and 3rd and our offense by getting Pedey out of leadoff if Farrell chooses.  He's not going to save the team but he may turn it around.  Count me among those who feel we've traditionally been slow bringing up guys--for a reason considering stacked big money teams with little room.  But as Boom says--now we've lost seven straight, our whole outfield is playing  close to the Mendoza line, we're at or close to the bottom of the AL East...so what's wrong with calling up MB or anyone else to play OF?  I know we've all talked about "missing Ells" and I know I thought someone would produce "close enough" to make things work.  Now I think it's a core problem, maybe disturbing the rhythm of the offense more than we realize.  OK, yes, Pedey can do it because he can probably do anything on a ball field, but is really best long term?  I'd say no for several reasons.  Then there are those who don't like it, don't feel comfortable, and just don't want to do it.   Help me out here historians but I think I remember several other times and coaches (Ralph Houk?) who said they could make it work without a true leadoff guy--and I don't think it worked.  Isn't it just established BB culture--you need a leadoff guy? 

It's a long season. There is plenty of time.  Drew will help but other help is needed.

Critter

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I had to recharge my memory banks...with some help.  I think Julio Lugo and Pokey Reese were attempts to improve on or obtain a LO guy.  The former never worked out and ended up hitting more players than pitches with his bat.  I liked Pokey but he was hurt a lot, but he wasn't too pokey running the bases...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I feel I might have more patience than most on here. At least regarding the OF that is. Sizemore has shown some flashes of brilliance on both sides of the ball but needs more time to put it all together consistently. As a fan of good investments I, personally, would give it more time. Same goes for JBJ. Besides, The main reason for losing is our SP. I knew there'd be some growing pains with said outfielders. Just didn't expect our pitching to be this bad or bad at all really. Thought it was one of our strengths not one of our liabilities. And here we are ...

A mediocre start and now a long losing streak coupled by that fact we can't win against our own division ( which is the worst part about it btw ). Yeah, things aren't looking good. But it IS a long season and with much parity thank goodness. Hopefully, our proven winners can pick this team up and prove themselves again. 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

I feel I might have more patience than most on here. At least regarding the OF that is. Sizemore has shown some flashes of brilliance on both sides of the ball but needs more time to put it all together consistently. As a fan of good investments I, personally, would give it more time. Same goes for JBJ. Besides, The main reason for losing is our SP. I knew there'd be some growing pains with said outfielders. Just didn't expect our pitching to be this bad or bad at all really. Thought it was one of our strengths not one of our liabilities. And here we are ...

A mediocre start and now a long losing streak coupled by that fact we can't win against our own division ( which is the worst part about it btw ). Yeah, things aren't looking good. But it IS a long season and with much parity thank goodness. Hopefully, our proven winners can pick this team up and prove themselves again. 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

QUOTE:

The season has gone pretty much the way I expected so far except I thought we would be more of a 500 club, not below.  When you start two rookies in the same season and Middy still can't get the job done chances are pretty good you will struggle, especially after losing Ells and Drew.  Our pitching held us up for a bit but even they must be growing frustrated with the great games that ended with a loss or no decision due to our lackluster offense.  I also thought Doub might finally come around this season but he still struggles more often than not.  It's time to give another youngster a few spot starts in the rotation "not Webster" but another who may deserve a shot.  It has also been time for a big trade that our FO should pull off soon.

Weak offense and defense = a lot of losses and that's just what we have.  When the pitching also goes south it only gets worse.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

It is getting close to my bedtime and rather than take a sleeping pill I thought it be easier to bore myself into sleep by reading this thread.... thanks numbers guys!