A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

Good comments, everyone.  Not sure Drew helps.  Good field, so-so hit on team with weak hitting and at a high cost.  Maybe Ben C was lucky last year.  And Farrell the genius not so much when pitching and hitting are weak.  Maybe Drew at SS will help pitching.  Maybe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Every time we rush a guy, we see the same result...

Give examples. I always thought the biggest gripe against Sox management has been we don't give our kids a shot early enough.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

The gripes change depending on what day it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Every time we rush a guy, we see the same result...

Give examples. I always thought the biggest gripe against Sox management has been we don't give our kids a shot early enough.

Sox4ever[/QUOTE]

The gripes change depending on what day it is. 

[/QUOTE]

Seriously though, the last time I ever heard a sustained gripe about bringing a prospect up too soon was with Buchholz. How long ago was that?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I think Drew improves our defense at SS and 3rd and our offense by getting Pedey out of leadoff if Farrell chooses.  He's not going to save the team but he may turn it around.  Count me among those who feel we've traditionally been slow bringing up guys--for a reason considering stacked big money teams with little room.  But as Boom says--now we've lost seven straight, our whole outfield is playing  close to the Mendoza line, we're at or close to the bottom of the AL East...so what's wrong with calling up MB or anyone else to play OF?  I know we've all talked about "missing Ells" and I know I thought someone would produce "close enough" to make things work.  Now I think it's a core problem, maybe disturbing the rhythm of the offense more than we realize.  OK, yes, Pedey can do it because he can probably do anything on a ball field, but is really best long term?  I'd say no for several reasons.  Then there are those who don't like it, don't feel comfortable, and just don't want to do it.   Help me out here historians but I think I remember several other times and coaches (Ralph Houk?) who said they could make it work without a true leadoff guy--and I don't think it worked.  Isn't it just established BB culture--you need a leadoff guy? 

It's a long season. There is plenty of time.  Drew will help but other help is needed.

Critter

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I had to recharge my memory banks...with some help.  I think Julio Lugo and Pokey Reese were attempts to improve on or obtain a LO guy.  The former never worked out and ended up hitting more players than pitches with his bat.  I liked Pokey but he was hurt a lot, but he wasn't too pokey running the bases...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I feel I might have more patience than most on here. At least regarding the OF that is. Sizemore has shown some flashes of brilliance on both sides of the ball but needs more time to put it all together consistently. As a fan of good investments I, personally, would give it more time. Same goes for JBJ. Besides, The main reason for losing is our SP. I knew there'd be some growing pains with said outfielders. Just didn't expect our pitching to be this bad or bad at all really. Thought it was one of our strengths not one of our liabilities. And here we are ...

A mediocre start and now a long losing streak coupled by that fact we can't win against our own division ( which is the worst part about it btw ). Yeah, things aren't looking good. But it IS a long season and with much parity thank goodness. Hopefully, our proven winners can pick this team up and prove themselves again. 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

I feel I might have more patience than most on here. At least regarding the OF that is. Sizemore has shown some flashes of brilliance on both sides of the ball but needs more time to put it all together consistently. As a fan of good investments I, personally, would give it more time. Same goes for JBJ. Besides, The main reason for losing is our SP. I knew there'd be some growing pains with said outfielders. Just didn't expect our pitching to be this bad or bad at all really. Thought it was one of our strengths not one of our liabilities. And here we are ...

A mediocre start and now a long losing streak coupled by that fact we can't win against our own division ( which is the worst part about it btw ). Yeah, things aren't looking good. But it IS a long season and with much parity thank goodness. Hopefully, our proven winners can pick this team up and prove themselves again. 

QUOTE:

The season has gone pretty much the way I expected so far except I thought we would be more of a 500 club, not below.  When you start two rookies in the same season and Middy still can't get the job done chances are pretty good you will struggle, especially after losing Ells and Drew.  Our pitching held us up for a bit but even they must be growing frustrated with the great games that ended with a loss or no decision due to our lackluster offense.  I also thought Doub might finally come around this season but he still struggles more often than not.  It's time to give another youngster a few spot starts in the rotation "not Webster" but another who may deserve a shot.  It has also been time for a big trade that our FO should pull off soon.

Weak offense and defense = a lot of losses and that's just what we have.  When the pitching also goes south it only gets worse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Drew improves our defense at SS and 3rd and our offense by getting Pedey out of leadoff if Farrell chooses.  He's not going to save the team but he may turn it around.  Count me among those who feel we've traditionally been slow bringing up guys--for a reason considering stacked big money teams with little room.  But as Boom says--now we've lost seven straight, our whole outfield is playing  close to the Mendoza line, we're at or close to the bottom of the AL East...so what's wrong with calling up MB or anyone else to play OF?  I know we've all talked about "missing Ells" and I know I thought someone would produce "close enough" to make things work.  Now I think it's a core problem, maybe disturbing the rhythm of the offense more than we realize.  OK, yes, Pedey can do it because he can probably do anything on a ball field, but is really best long term?  I'd say no for several reasons.  Then there are those who don't like it, don't feel comfortable, and just don't want to do it.   Help me out here historians but I think I remember several other times and coaches (Ralph Houk?) who said they could make it work without a true leadoff guy--and I don't think it worked.  Isn't it just established BB culture--you need a leadoff guy? 

It's a long season. There is plenty of time.  Drew will help but other help is needed.

Critter[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The problem may be that Drew used up all the spending money for this year (to stay under the limit).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Yeah Moon, I was afraid of that.  I hoped those days were gone with the Dodger Dump but I know from checking your/ others numbers we were close.  Seems like everything is going sour all at once.  Steady hands and heads needed now to figure this out.  I think a big hitter and a real lead off guy would solve most problems.  I really think our D will now be better.  I think pitchers will come around because of coaches, depth, luck, etc.  But if we can't go over the limit??? 

Critter

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah Moon, I was afraid of that.  I hoped those days were gone with the Dodger Dump but I know from checking your/ others numbers we were close.  Seems like everything is going sour all at once.  Steady hands and heads needed now to figure this out.  I think a big hitter and a real lead off guy would solve most problems.  I really think our D will now be better.  I think pitchers will come around because of coaches, depth, luck, etc.  But if we can't go over the limit??? Critter [/QUOTE]

I think Henry would be willing to authorize going over the limit, if the situation looked like we were one big player away from being a top 5 or 6 favorite. We may be close to that by the deadline, but right now, it's not looking like that. In fact, we look more like possible "sellers" than buyers on July 31st.

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I imagine most of you have seen this by now but I think it's pretty cool:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/05/23/red-sox-minor-league-roundup-walks-and-walkoffs-for-indefensible-mookie-betts-travis-shaw-henry-ramos-scorching-matt-barnes-shelled/

Mookie walks 4 times and then wins it with a walk of triple. His OBP is back up over .450 again. Dig the stroke and if you look at his hit chart he hits the ball well to all fields.

The guy just isn't human. He isn't! I mean for real.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I don't think there is any way we are going over the luxury tax limit this year, which indicates to me that we should cut bait right now on Sizemore before the incentives kick in a lot. I'd rather have the payroll flexibility.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think there is any way we are going over the luxury tax limit this year, which indicates to me that we should cut bait right now on Sizemore before the incentives kick in a lot. I'd rather have the payroll flexibility. [/QUOTE] [object HTMLDivElement]

Can he really make that much?

1 year/$0.75M (2014)

signed by Boston as a free agent 1/22/14
    performance bonuses: $0.25M for each 25 plate appearances 225-500
    roster bonuses: $0.25M each for making Opening Day Major League roster and spending 60, 90, 120, 150 days on Major League roster
    award bonuses: $50,000 each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, All-Star, LCS MVP, Comeback Player of the Year. $0.1M for WS MVP. $0.1M for MVP ($75,000 for second in vote, $50,000 for third)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Ok, so now I'm more concerned w/ the OF (Vic just can't stay on the field). 

Great effort by Lackey, but if it's not one thing it's another so far this year. 

Re-signing Drew addresses the defense, but the offense DOES need a spark. And yet, Lester & Lackey are the only Starters that instill any hope. 

My list of expendables is growing :)

ahhh..

GO SOX!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Kuroda is done.  He's done, I tell ya!

Sorry, Prospects, it's about all I've got these days LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Hfxsoxnut..Funny! 

It's a tough time to be a sox fan but a lot of us remember when it was like this all the freaking time!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

By the way, I hope Kuroda is done. If he is done the Yanks are probably done as well. But then again Ichiro is hitting .373 for them....Solarte .311. Baseball is often just unpredictable. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Baseball is often just unpredictable.

Exactly. Imagine if we had signed Kuroda, Beltran and McCann and gone with Middy at 1B, Bogey at 3B and some cheap defensive pick-up at  SS.

We have lacked "timely hitting", but that is now some skill set that is traded for, developed within the system or otherwise planned for. It is as unpredictable as anything else in baseball. You build a team of good players "on paper" and hope they come through as expected.

Sometimes they do: sometimes they don't.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah Moon, I was afraid of that.  I hoped those days were gone with the Dodger Dump but I know from checking your/ others numbers we were close.  Seems like everything is going sour all at once.  Steady hands and heads needed now to figure this out.  I think a big hitter and a real lead off guy would solve most problems.  I really think our D will now be better.  I think pitchers will come around because of coaches, depth, luck, etc.  But if we can't go over the limit??? Critter [/QUOTE]

I think Henry would be willing to authorize going over the limit, if the situation looked like we were one big player away from being a top 5 or 6 favorite. We may be close to that by the deadline, but right now, it's not looking like that. In fact, we look more like possible "sellers" than buyers on July 31st.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

If that turns out to be the case, that we are so far out of it that we are sellers (as seems likely), then the FO needs to do it and COMMIT to it completely. No player-NO PLAYER AT ALL- should be immune from being traded if we can get value in return. You cannot do it halfway and hedge your bets and hope to succeed.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:[QUOTE]In response to moonslav59's comment:[QUOTE]In response to jcri's comment:[QUOTE]

I think Henry would be willing to authorize going over the limit, if the situation looked like we were one big player away from being a top 5 or 6 favorite. We may be close to that by the deadline, but right now, it's not looking like that. In fact, we look more like possible "sellers" than buyers on July 31st. [/QUOTE]

If that turns out to be the case, that we are so far out of it that we are sellers (as seems likely), then the FO needs to do it and COMMIT to it completely. No player-NO PLAYER AT ALL- should be immune from being traded if we can get value in return. You cannot do it halfway and hedge your bets and hope to succeed.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE [/QUOTE]

I agree, but I doubt we have a fire sale, even if we are 20 out by the trade or waiver deal deadlines.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The realistic view of Red Sox 2014 is not good.

This is sad.

:(

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

realistically I will watch a lot of baseball this year, whether the Sox start winning some games or finish in dead last.....and I will not bash the team, get all mad at management, get mad at players, and want to dump and trade away the entire team.  And I will be happy.

Realistically, when the Sox lose, these forums turn into good entertainment. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

realistically I will watch a lot of baseball this year, whether the Sox start winning some games or finish in dead last.....and I will not bash the team, get all mad at management, get mad at players, and want to dump and trade away the entire team.  And I will be happy.

Realistically, when the Sox lose, these forums turn into good entertainment. [/QUOTE]

Many people have a strong tendency to assign blame to someone when things look bad. 

Last winter, Ben spent near the luxury limit and signed marginal free agent talent. He was criticized all winter then praised all fall. This year, he spent near the luxury limit and signed marginal free agent talent. Since we were coming off a WS season, the criticism was muted to some extent, but now it is roaring its ugly head with the long losing streak.

I'm going to continue watching every play of every game. Like you, I will enjoy watching this team, especially the young players. I will be looking towards next year and hoping we make some adjustments to improve our chances of winning going forward. 

Although I was critical of Ben last winter, I always said he deserved a chance to prove himself. I loved the Dodger trade and felt it set us up nicely going forward. I still think Ben deserves a longer look, before people start getting nasty. With next year's big player departures and decisions, Ben's true stamp on this team will come to light. I'm hoping for the best, but after going over 30 years being a Sox fan and seeing no championships, I am totally content with 3 rings in 10 years. I'm fine with a few down years as long as the future looks brighter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It is extremely frustrating to watch them right now. It seems like nothing is going right. And when the starting pitching isn't producing that is the sort of thing which turns into a losing streak.

I'll start waking up when they start winning again. The games have turned into my nap time. I don't have the time or inclination to watch a losing team. I just don't. It's ok. I don't hate them for it. I see them trying hard. I just chose to live my life this way. Why spend time watching something which will make me depressed? I don't live and die on my favorite baseball team and every minute of life is precious. Why not treat it that way instead of throwing it out the window for nothing? It's just sports, which means pretty much nothing at the end of days.

I have a son who buys tickets to the Pacers every week and travels 2 hours in the snow to see them in person 3-4 times a week sometimes. Spends thousands of dollars doing it. No matter how good a team is, it's not you or me doing it. It's vicarious success. Why not compete in life instead of caring so much if some external entity achieves anything? Root for God and Country, your favorite sports team as well but put your personal qualities first. Be the best person I can be. Financially provide as best I can for my family and community. Donate to others who struggle from health or a lack of ability in other ways. I coached soccer for 25 years and lived and died with each game. I stopped coaching and my income skyrocketed. Compete in life. It's better for you and those around you. Coach your local team but don't make it more than it is. It is no substitute for success in the other aspects of life.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This is a bad team that's old and falling apart and  I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the immediate future either. 

Sections
Shortcuts