A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

Granted, only a 4th of the season is over, but, is the picture being painted that 2013 was a fluke with this team?

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It is extremely frustrating to watch them right now. It seems like nothing is going right. And when the starting pitching isn't producing that is the sort of thing which turns into a losing streak.

I'll start waking up when they start winning again. The games have turned into my nap time. I don't have the time or inclination to watch a losing team. I just don't. It's ok. I don't hate them for it. I see them trying hard. I just chose to live my life this way. Why spend time watching something which will make me depressed? I don't live and die on my favorite baseball team and every minute of life is precious. Why not treat it that way instead of throwing it out the window for nothing? It's just sports, which means pretty much nothing at the end of days.

I have a son who buys tickets to the Pacers every week and travels 2 hours in the snow to see them in person 3-4 times a week sometimes. Spends thousands of dollars doing it. No matter how good a team is, it's not you or me doing it. It's vicarious success. Why not compete in life instead of caring so much if some external entity achieves anything? Root for God and Country, your favorite sports team as well but put your personal qualities first. Be the best person I can be. Financially provide as best I can for my family and community. Donate to others who struggle from health or a lack of ability in other ways. I coached soccer for 25 years and lived and died with each game. I stopped coaching and my income skyrocketed. Compete in life. It's better for you and those around you. Coach your local team but don't make it more than it is. It is no substitute for success in the other aspects of life.

THIS!!!! ^^^^^  This is perspective on life.  This may very well be the best post I've ever seen here.  

Thanks, RSP.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

This is a bad team that's old and falling apart and  I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the immediate future either.  

A lot will depend on the moves and acquisitions we make next winter. There are a few big shoes to fill, but there is also more than enough budget space to fill them and more. 

How well our highly-touted prospects contribute is the big wild card.

Bogaerts should be at 3B or SS next year.

I guess JBJ is still a question mark going forward, but at least his defense is superb.

Vazquez should at least be a platoon C next year on the Sox.

Middy or Cecchini should have a shot at a position.

Betts may sneak in somewhere.

I have to think one or two of our pitching prospects will win a rotation spot to start the season, and maybe another one by mid-season. (Barnes, Ranaudo, de la Rosa, Webster and/or Owens)

Workman, Britton and maybe some other prospect should crack the pen for good.

That leaves this:

C ________ & Vazquez

1B Napoli & Carp

2B Pedroia & Holt

SS _________ (Bogaerts) & Herrera

3B Bogaerts, Cecchini & Middy

LF _________ Nava & Hassan

CF _________ & JBJ

RF Victorino & ???

DH Ortiz

SP _________, __________, Lackey, Buchholz & 1 from Doubront or the list of prospects above

RP _________, Tazawa, Breslow, Mujica, Workman, Britton & a pitcher from the starter list above

We may just sign 5-6 free agents of which 2-3 will be significant impact players, but there is hope for our immediate future (2015 - 2016). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is extremely frustrating to watch them right now. It seems like nothing is going right. And when the starting pitching isn't producing that is the sort of thing which turns into a losing streak.

I'll start waking up when they start winning again. The games have turned into my nap time. I don't have the time or inclination to watch a losing team. I just don't. It's ok. I don't hate them for it. I see them trying hard. I just chose to live my life this way. Why spend time watching something which will make me depressed? I don't live and die on my favorite baseball team and every minute of life is precious. Why not treat it that way instead of throwing it out the window for nothing? It's just sports, which means pretty much nothing at the end of days.

I have a son who buys tickets to the Pacers every week and travels 2 hours in the snow to see them in person 3-4 times a week sometimes. Spends thousands of dollars doing it. No matter how good a team is, it's not you or me doing it. It's vicarious success. Why not compete in life instead of caring so much if some external entity achieves anything? Root for God and Country, your favorite sports team as well but put your personal qualities first. Be the best person I can be. Financially provide as best I can for my family and community. Donate to others who struggle from health or a lack of ability in other ways. I coached soccer for 25 years and lived and died with each game. I stopped coaching and my income skyrocketed. Compete in life. It's better for you and those around you. Coach your local team but don't make it more than it is. It is no substitute for success in the other aspects of life.

Great post.

Giving is truly to best way to feel alive and full.

I have been volunteer teaching ESL at local schools for 6 years now. It can be heart-breaking at times, but helping to make a difference in troubled teen's lives is its own reward.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Thanks S5 and Great for you Moon! What a positive thing to do. And we thought you lived and died a Sox fan! You have a life! ( I'm just kidding. We all know you are clearly a Renaissance man! ).

The Sox finally won a game today and they did it on a classic comeback. I'm digging what I'm seeing in Bogaerts even during the slump. He looks like he is starting to come into his own and will be the middle of the order bat we were hoping for.

I think Pierzynski is better than he's given credit for. He's not the main reason for this team's demise. He's doing about what was projected from him. 

How about this guy emerging again: Coyle:http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=coyle-001sea

He's currently hitting .350 or so with a SB every 10 AB approximately, with no CS. And he is a plus defender at least at 2nd base. His approach is raw but he has pop and still has potential to me.

The division is going to be a slog with all teams struggling. We still have a shot incredibly. Somehow we need to get better starting pitching results though.

Ranaudo has been solid for 7 games in a row. I think he's probably going to get a start at some point soon. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Salty is on pace to cost his team 15 runs defensively this year. He has a Rtot/yr of -15 ( total zone metrics ).

Also hitting .212 in May after a strong start. He is not looking like he was a tough guy to lose. Pierzynskis defense has been a little below average in the same metrics. Salty still has a slight edge with the bat but is trending downward rapidly. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Salty is on pace to cost his team 15 runs defensively this year. He has a Rtot/yr of -15 ( total zone metrics ).

Also hitting .212 in May after a strong start. He is not looking like he was a tough guy to lose. Pierzynskis defense has been a little below average in the same metrics. Salty still has a slight edge with the bat but is trending downward rapidly. 

The problem for next year, or one of the problems, is that Pierzynski's ostensible replacement, Vasquez, has an OPS of under .450 last I checked. He should not be promoted with production like that.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about Brock Holt?

All through the minor league levels, he hit and got on base very well, but with little power. For a middle infielder, his numbers were more than decent:

BA/OBP

A   .299/.361

A+ .351/.410

AA .302/.370

AAA .304/.367

All   .307/.373 (.782 OPS)

206 MLB PAs: .270/.320 (.651 OPS)

I don't think he's made for 3B, but there's no room at 2B, and Ithink he'll never be a plus fielding SS. Here's what soxprospects.com has to say...

Good contact hitter with the ability to hit the gaps. Lacks home-run pop. Average to above-average plate discipline. Slightly below-average speed. Has played shortstop and second base professionally. Decent glove. Fringe-average arm, quickness, and range make him better suited for second base, although defense at shortstop may be passable enough to be a utility man. Has played a good deal of third base this season as well.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I don't think he's made for 3B, but there's no room at 2B, and Ithink he'll never be a plus fielding SS. Here's what soxprospects.com has to say...

Good contact hitter with the ability to hit the gaps. Lacks home-run pop. Average to above-average plate discipline. Slightly below-average speed. Has played shortstop and second base professionally. Decent glove. Fringe-average arm, quickness, and range make him better suited for second base, although defense at shortstop may be passable enough to be a utility man. Has played a good deal of third base this season as well.

Sox4ever

QUOTE:

Holt is either having a season like Nava did last year or is a pretty good hitter but I agree he doesn't look like a guy that will ever be a plus fielder moon.  Hopefully he continues to help out offensively while his defense doesn't cost us too many crucial games.  Maybe another guy who we should try in the OF along with Betts when Drew comes back?  Or would his size and speed hinder his ability.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Sox4ever

QUOTE:

Holt is either having a season like Nava did last year or is a pretty good hitter but I agree he doesn't look like a guy that will ever be a plus fielder moon.  Hopefully he continues to help out offensively while his defense doesn't cost us too many crucial games.  Maybe another guy who we should try in the OF along with Betts when Drew comes back?  Or would his size and speed hinder his ability.

I think he's too slow for the OF, except maybe in Fenway's LF & NY's RF, but I doubt it's worth giving him reps in the OF just for those specific times. I think he may just be our utility middle IF'er and emergency 3Bman, but where does that leave Herrera?

I doubt he either have much trade value, but maybe one will have to go to make room for the kids (Cecchini, Betts, and maybe Marrero).

Like I said all winter, I like our depth, but in general, we are too heavy on quantity and not quality. I'd like to see us make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals, but only for controllable players. For example, maybe some ML team is in need of a quality catcher and utility IF'er. We could package AJ P and Holt for a decent mid-level prospect or multiple year team-controlled good role player, like a RH'd OF'er who can play decent CF defense. Make a few of these type trades to build up quality depth in the bigs and on the farm, then maybe look to make one blockbuster  4 or 5 for 1 deal for that monster player (like Stanton), but only if they agree to extend. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Sox4ever

QUOTE:

I think he's too slow for the OF, except maybe in Fenway's LF & NY's RF, but I doubt it's worth giving him reps in the OF just for those specific times. I think he may just be our utility middle IF'er and emergency 3Bman, but where does that leave Herrera?

I doubt he either have much trade value, but maybe one will have to go to make room for the kids (Cecchini, Betts, and maybe Marrero).

Like I said all winter, I like our depth, but in general, we are too heavy on quantity and not quality. I'd like to see us make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals, but only for controllable players. For example, maybe some ML team is in need of a quality catcher and utility IF'er. We could package AJ P and Holt for a decent mid-level prospect or multiple year team-controlled good role player, like a RH'd OF'er who can play decent CF defense. Make a few of these type trades to build up quality depth in the bigs and on the farm, then maybe look to make one blockbuster  4 or 5 for 1 deal for that monster player (like Stanton), but only if they agree to extend. 

We have been pretty much on the same page all along moon.  I agree we have a lot of decent prospects but unless they can fill the positions we need in the future it's time for the front office to get creative with a few "like Betts moving to the OF" and find better fits for our team.  I'm sure we can find a few teams with opposite needs at various positions that could work our for both clubs through trade.  I knew this season would be a crap shoot but I'm ok with that as long as the FO recognizes and acts on our needs pretty quickly like last season to get us back on track to possibly win another WC in the near future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think Holt has at least average speed. He has beat out several ground balls which seemed to be a surprise to the fielders. He has been a decent base runner. 

I like the guy but it would be better if he could play SS or 3rd well. I'd still keep him though. At least he is producing this year. He's helpful depth.

Good to see another good game tonight. A few things falling our way for once.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have been pretty much on the same page all along moon. I agree we have a lot of decent prospects but unless they can fill the positions we need in the future it's time for the front office to get creative with a few "like Betts moving to the OF" and find better fits for our team. I'm sure we can find a few teams with opposite needs at various positions that could work our for both clubs through trade. I knew this season would be a crap shoot but I'm ok with that as long as the FO recognizes and acts on our needs pretty quickly like last season to get us back on track to possibly win another WC in the near future.

Well said. I don't get upset that we don't win every year. I went over 30 years being shut out as a Sox fan before 2004. We have a decent future ahead of us. Sure, I'd love to win this year, but I'm okay with a bad year here and there as long as we retool quickly enough.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

Lester passes Lefty Grove with 105 wins from left side. These two wins against the Braves will set the ship right. Good to see RBI in bottom of the order.  Hitting is contagious. Great win, especially team like Atlanta. Go Sox.

BDC member since 12/13/2004 "Can you believe it?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... and two nice fielding gems from unexpected sources: Gomes & Bogey!

Sox4ever

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

CONSISTENCY is lacking

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to FriendsofFrazee's comment:

In response to beavis*'s comment:

Lester passes Lefty Grove with 105 wins from left side. These two wins against the Braves will set the ship right. Good to see RBI in bottom of the order.  Hitting is contagious. Great win, especially team like Atlanta. Go Sox.

BDC member since 12/13/2004 "Can you believe it?"

Doubtful, this team has many problems.

All teams have problems. The teams doing well up to now, will all go through a tough stretch at some point.

If we can fix a couple problems, we might be able to get back in the hunt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

About 30% done with the season and here are our OPS leaders:

.877 Ortiz (.972 last 28 days)

.806 Napoli (.603)

.797 Bogey (.831)

.768 Gomes (.815)

.738 Pedey (.829)

.706 Holt (.619)

.700 AJ P (.714)

.670 Grady (.688)

.632 Carp (.627)

.629 Middy (.368)

.627 Vic  (.536)

.591 JBJ  (.486)

.548 Ross (.519)

.466 Nava (.111)

.447 Herrera (.347)

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Quality Start %:

73% Lackey

64% Lester

60% Peasvy

50% Buchholz

(49% League Average)

44% Doubront

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I am more positive than ten days ago because it seems like team management is reacting--using Holt, signing Drew, putting Buch on DL, calling up Workman.  I am not giving up on the season.  Let's go win four more!

Critter

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

I am more positive than ten days ago because it seems like team management is reacting--using Holt, signing Drew, putting Buch on DL, calling up Workman.  I am not giving up on the season.  Let's go win four more!

Critter

Toronto is on a roll. Meeting last year's expectations this year. Where have we seen that before?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Ha!  Anotherwin!  I like the dust up and ejections--this is the type of game that brings teams closer sometimes, us against them, bloods up, come wrack, come wind, let slip the dogs of war...Critter

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Man I hate it when I have to work and can't see a game like the one today because it's on national TV. It's almost worth it to get cable in the office. MLB.com is worthless during blackout games.

Here is to hoping Rubby emerges today. Just keep them under 3 runs and 5 innings and I'll be happy even though there is little indication they will be able to hit Oridozzi well.

Bogaerts is becoming the stud we all hoped he would be. That fielding play he made late in the game was solid and his bat has been excellent recently.

Lots of data indicating he's for real. He's 6 for 10 on fastballs above 95 MPH. The guy has tremendous bat speed. And a whole lot of pop which he just now is coming into. I like his more aggressive recent approach but he needs to watch it because pitchers will adjust to him and give him nothing to hit. Slotting him at least 2nd in the lineup was long overdue. I think we should just go ahead and put him in the 3 slot. His aggressive approach will play better with Papi hitting after him.

I have no problem with Bogaerts as our SS for the next 10 years. I think he would have been fine. The data still indicates he would be about average defensively and great offensively for a SS. He's not Tulo but he is maybe the next best hitting SS going forward.

Sections
Shortcuts