A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty is on pace to cost his team 15 runs defensively this year. He has a Rtot/yr of -15 ( total zone metrics ).

Also hitting .212 in May after a strong start. He is not looking like he was a tough guy to lose. Pierzynskis defense has been a little below average in the same metrics. Salty still has a slight edge with the bat but is trending downward rapidly. 

[/QUOTE]

The problem for next year, or one of the problems, is that Pierzynski's ostensible replacement, Vasquez, has an OPS of under .450 last I checked. He should not be promoted with production like that.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about Brock Holt?

All through the minor league levels, he hit and got on base very well, but with little power. For a middle infielder, his numbers were more than decent:

BA/OBP

A   .299/.361

A+ .351/.410

AA .302/.370

AAA .304/.367

All   .307/.373 (.782 OPS)

206 MLB PAs: .270/.320 (.651 OPS)

I don't think he's made for 3B, but there's no room at 2B, and Ithink he'll never be a plus fielding SS. Here's what soxprospects.com has to say...

Good contact hitter with the ability to hit the gaps. Lacks home-run pop. Average to above-average plate discipline. Slightly below-average speed. Has played shortstop and second base professionally. Decent glove. Fringe-average arm, quickness, and range make him better suited for second base, although defense at shortstop may be passable enough to be a utility man. Has played a good deal of third base this season as well.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I don't think he's made for 3B, but there's no room at 2B, and Ithink he'll never be a plus fielding SS. Here's what soxprospects.com has to say...

Good contact hitter with the ability to hit the gaps. Lacks home-run pop. Average to above-average plate discipline. Slightly below-average speed. Has played shortstop and second base professionally. Decent glove. Fringe-average arm, quickness, and range make him better suited for second base, although defense at shortstop may be passable enough to be a utility man. Has played a good deal of third base this season as well.

Sox4ever

QUOTE:

Holt is either having a season like Nava did last year or is a pretty good hitter but I agree he doesn't look like a guy that will ever be a plus fielder moon.  Hopefully he continues to help out offensively while his defense doesn't cost us too many crucial games.  Maybe another guy who we should try in the OF along with Betts when Drew comes back?  Or would his size and speed hinder his ability.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox4ever

QUOTE:

Holt is either having a season like Nava did last year or is a pretty good hitter but I agree he doesn't look like a guy that will ever be a plus fielder moon.  Hopefully he continues to help out offensively while his defense doesn't cost us too many crucial games.  Maybe another guy who we should try in the OF along with Betts when Drew comes back?  Or would his size and speed hinder his ability.[/QUOTE]

I think he's too slow for the OF, except maybe in Fenway's LF & NY's RF, but I doubt it's worth giving him reps in the OF just for those specific times. I think he may just be our utility middle IF'er and emergency 3Bman, but where does that leave Herrera?

I doubt he either have much trade value, but maybe one will have to go to make room for the kids (Cecchini, Betts, and maybe Marrero).

Like I said all winter, I like our depth, but in general, we are too heavy on quantity and not quality. I'd like to see us make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals, but only for controllable players. For example, maybe some ML team is in need of a quality catcher and utility IF'er. We could package AJ P and Holt for a decent mid-level prospect or multiple year team-controlled good role player, like a RH'd OF'er who can play decent CF defense. Make a few of these type trades to build up quality depth in the bigs and on the farm, then maybe look to make one blockbuster  4 or 5 for 1 deal for that monster player (like Stanton), but only if they agree to extend. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox4ever

QUOTE:

Holt is either having a season like Nava did last year or is a pretty good hitter but I agree he doesn't look like a guy that will ever be a plus fielder moon.  Hopefully he continues to help out offensively while his defense doesn't cost us too many crucial games.  Maybe another guy who we should try in the OF along with Betts when Drew comes back?  Or would his size and speed hinder his ability.[/QUOTE]

I think he's too slow for the OF, except maybe in Fenway's LF & NY's RF, but I doubt it's worth giving him reps in the OF just for those specific times. I think he may just be our utility middle IF'er and emergency 3Bman, but where does that leave Herrera?

I doubt he either have much trade value, but maybe one will have to go to make room for the kids (Cecchini, Betts, and maybe Marrero).

Like I said all winter, I like our depth, but in general, we are too heavy on quantity and not quality. I'd like to see us make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals, but only for controllable players. For example, maybe some ML team is in need of a quality catcher and utility IF'er. We could package AJ P and Holt for a decent mid-level prospect or multiple year team-controlled good role player, like a RH'd OF'er who can play decent CF defense. Make a few of these type trades to build up quality depth in the bigs and on the farm, then maybe look to make one blockbuster  4 or 5 for 1 deal for that monster player (like Stanton), but only if they agree to extend. 

[/QUOTE]

We have been pretty much on the same page all along moon.  I agree we have a lot of decent prospects but unless they can fill the positions we need in the future it's time for the front office to get creative with a few "like Betts moving to the OF" and find better fits for our team.  I'm sure we can find a few teams with opposite needs at various positions that could work our for both clubs through trade.  I knew this season would be a crap shoot but I'm ok with that as long as the FO recognizes and acts on our needs pretty quickly like last season to get us back on track to possibly win another WC in the near future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think Holt has at least average speed. He has beat out several ground balls which seemed to be a surprise to the fielders. He has been a decent base runner. 

I like the guy but it would be better if he could play SS or 3rd well. I'd still keep him though. At least he is producing this year. He's helpful depth.

Good to see another good game tonight. A few things falling our way for once.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have been pretty much on the same page all along moon. I agree we have a lot of decent prospects but unless they can fill the positions we need in the future it's time for the front office to get creative with a few "like Betts moving to the OF" and find better fits for our team. I'm sure we can find a few teams with opposite needs at various positions that could work our for both clubs through trade. I knew this season would be a crap shoot but I'm ok with that as long as the FO recognizes and acts on our needs pretty quickly like last season to get us back on track to possibly win another WC in the near future.

Well said. I don't get upset that we don't win every year. I went over 30 years being shut out as a Sox fan before 2004. We have a decent future ahead of us. Sure, I'd love to win this year, but I'm okay with a bad year here and there as long as we retool quickly enough.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

Lester passes Lefty Grove with 105 wins from left side. These two wins against the Braves will set the ship right. Good to see RBI in bottom of the order.  Hitting is contagious. Great win, especially team like Atlanta. Go Sox.

BDC member since 12/13/2004 "Can you believe it?"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... and two nice fielding gems from unexpected sources: Gomes & Bogey!

Sox4ever

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

CONSISTENCY is lacking

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to FriendsofFrazee's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to beavis*'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester passes Lefty Grove with 105 wins from left side. These two wins against the Braves will set the ship right. Good to see RBI in bottom of the order.  Hitting is contagious. Great win, especially team like Atlanta. Go Sox.

BDC member since 12/13/2004 "Can you believe it?"

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful, this team has many problems.[/QUOTE]

All teams have problems. The teams doing well up to now, will all go through a tough stretch at some point.

If we can fix a couple problems, we might be able to get back in the hunt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

About 30% done with the season and here are our OPS leaders:

.877 Ortiz (.972 last 28 days)

.806 Napoli (.603)

.797 Bogey (.831)

.768 Gomes (.815)

.738 Pedey (.829)

.706 Holt (.619)

.700 AJ P (.714)

.670 Grady (.688)

.632 Carp (.627)

.629 Middy (.368)

.627 Vic  (.536)

.591 JBJ  (.486)

.548 Ross (.519)

.466 Nava (.111)

.447 Herrera (.347)

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Quality Start %:

73% Lackey

64% Lester

60% Peasvy

50% Buchholz

(49% League Average)

44% Doubront

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I am more positive than ten days ago because it seems like team management is reacting--using Holt, signing Drew, putting Buch on DL, calling up Workman.  I am not giving up on the season.  Let's go win four more!

Critter

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am more positive than ten days ago because it seems like team management is reacting--using Holt, signing Drew, putting Buch on DL, calling up Workman.  I am not giving up on the season.  Let's go win four more!

Critter[/QUOTE]

Toronto is on a roll. Meeting last year's expectations this year. Where have we seen that before?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Ha!  Anotherwin!  I like the dust up and ejections--this is the type of game that brings teams closer sometimes, us against them, bloods up, come wrack, come wind, let slip the dogs of war...Critter

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Man I hate it when I have to work and can't see a game like the one today because it's on national TV. It's almost worth it to get cable in the office. MLB.com is worthless during blackout games.

Here is to hoping Rubby emerges today. Just keep them under 3 runs and 5 innings and I'll be happy even though there is little indication they will be able to hit Oridozzi well.

Bogaerts is becoming the stud we all hoped he would be. That fielding play he made late in the game was solid and his bat has been excellent recently.

Lots of data indicating he's for real. He's 6 for 10 on fastballs above 95 MPH. The guy has tremendous bat speed. And a whole lot of pop which he just now is coming into. I like his more aggressive recent approach but he needs to watch it because pitchers will adjust to him and give him nothing to hit. Slotting him at least 2nd in the lineup was long overdue. I think we should just go ahead and put him in the 3 slot. His aggressive approach will play better with Papi hitting after him.

I have no problem with Bogaerts as our SS for the next 10 years. I think he would have been fine. The data still indicates he would be about average defensively and great offensively for a SS. He's not Tulo but he is maybe the next best hitting SS going forward.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

As it stands right now, Xander projects as an above 5.0 WAR player right now. He is 33% better than the average player in generating runs. And he is a SS who has yet to really come into his power. Just imagine when he starts hitting 25-30 HR a year as well, which would be a logical projection for a guy with his minor league ISO numbers. Maybe even some 35 HR years. He's a potential 8-9 WAR player as a SS. That doesn't happen often at all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

David Ortiz hasn't been more than a 3.9 WAR player since 2007. Xander has been that good. He is already more valuable to the team overall than Ortiz, given standard metrics.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Count me as totally on board with Bogaerts sticking at SS. He has by no means been a disaster in the field. Despite his struggles he's been slightly better than I expected, and has shown improvement. If he was just going to go to pieces out there and start sailing balls into the dugout on a regular basis, he would have cracked already. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ha!  Anotherwin!  I like the dust up and ejections--this is the type of game that brings teams closer sometimes, us against them, bloods up, come wrack, come wind, let slip the dogs of war...Critter[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I hope the juices flowing will ignite a scorching summer of great baseball!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

David Ortiz hasn't been more than a 3.9 WAR player since 2007. Xander has been that good. He is already more valuable to the team overall than Ortiz, given standard metrics.[/QUOTE]

DH's don't get the love they deserve with WAR.

I go to the value page on fangraphs and look at the top batting players since 2012.  Here they are(175 qualifies players):

134.4 Miggy  

126.9 Trout

1001.9 McCutchen

98.3   Votto

86.7   Encarnacion

76.5   Cano

76.0   Choo

74.3   Stanton

73.8   Ortiz

72.1   Goldschmidt

71.5   Holliday

Other notables:

16 Beltre, 20 B Moss, 23 Werth, 27 Upton, 38 AGon, 47 N Cruz, 48 B Butler,

53 Napoli, 55 LaRoche, 66 Pagan, 67 Pedroia, 69 K Morales, 72 Lowrie, ** Rizzo, 101 Salty, 115 AJ P, 118 Vic, 121 Ellsbury, 135 Reddick

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Count me as totally on board with Bogaerts sticking at SS. He has by no means been a disaster in the field. Despite his struggles he's been slightly better than I expected, and has shown improvement. If he was just going to go to pieces out there and start sailing balls into the dugout on a regular basis, he would have cracked already. [/QUOTE]

I expect better than just not sailing balls into the dugout, but I will admit, he has looked better than I expected. However, I expected bottom 10 out of the 30 starting MLB SS's on defense, and top 5 to 10 on offense.

I'd still prefer him as top 5 offensive 3Bman and a top 10 defensive 3Bman as well (over a year or two).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    #redsox have started working Brock Holt out at first base and the OF.