A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I listened to an article on Fox today regarding Lester and the Sox. It suggests the Sox want to resume negotiations and Jon doesn't want to appear Greedy but neither side is anywhere close in terms of salary expectations. I think it would be a huge loss for the Sox and our staff if they don't sign him. Jon has had his ups and downs but has pretty much been lights out in the PS most of the time and in my opinion still our best pitcher.

If the $70M/5 year reported offer is for real, it was a slap in the face of Lester, in my opinion. It also shows we must be far far away from reaching an agreement.

I want Lester back and have suggested we offer something like $100M/5, but if we are indeed far away from reaching a deal, I feel we can get way more value through trade than waiting for a draft pick next spring.

Lester could bring us a top prospect or two via trade. That's a lot more value than a comp pick.

[/QUOTE]

Agree completely. I think we're approaching the endgame for the Lester situation, one way or the other...I'm all for retaining him if it can be done at a reasonable rate, but if that's not going to happen (and I think the FO knows or will know very soon if that's the case), it's time to start thinking about fleecing some contending team out of some good prospects.

It should be a very interesting 30 days or so.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I listened to an article on Fox today regarding Lester and the Sox. It suggests the Sox want to resume negotiations and Jon doesn't want to appear Greedy but neither side is anywhere close in terms of salary expectations. I think it would be a huge loss for the Sox and our staff if they don't sign him. Jon has had his ups and downs but has pretty much been lights out in the PS most of the time and in my opinion still our best pitcher.

If the $70M/5 year reported offer is for real, it was a slap in the face of Lester, in my opinion. It also shows we must be far far away from reaching an agreement.

I want Lester back and have suggested we offer something like $100M/5, but if we are indeed far away from reaching a deal, I feel we can get way more value through trade than waiting for a draft pick next spring.

Lester could bring us a top prospect or two via trade. That's a lot more value

Agree completely. I think we're approaching the endgame for the Lester situation, one way or the other...I'm all for retaining him if it can be done at a reasonable rate, but if that's not going to happen (and I think the FO knows or will know very soon if that's the case), it's time to start thinking about fleecing some contending team out of some good prospects.

Quote:
    At some point our FO needs to pay proven talent close what their value may be without expecting a huge home town discount.  Lester is not one of our players I want to see follow Jacoby to NY.  I think it would be a huge mistake to lose Jon with the state our team is in and no real proven pitcher to step in.  Our offensive is bad enough without losing our most durable pitcher.  Jon has given us an average of 200 IP for 7 straight years if he does it again this season.  He also has a career 1.30 WHIP and only 1.04 in the PS to go along with a 2.11 ERA.  At least offer Jon close to what some of the top pitchers in the league make instead of slapping him in the face.  If he refuses then we know he just wants the most he can get like Jacoby and others.  There is smart business and just plain disrespect. 

How many draft picks does this team need at expense of our best talent and how many of these picks have actually impacted our club in the past few years? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We'll keep enough kids to give our future a continuous boost year to year, but I think at some point soon, we will end up dealing some youth for a big piece. I'm just hopsing we choose well, and it's a player with many years of team control.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I'm a big proponent of playing the kids and developing and keeping our own guy.  But I'd like a big piece too.

I think at this point our farm is strong enough to be able to trade for a perennial all star type and still have at least an average rated farm. 

Agree, and we have to choose the right person to give a big chunk of our top prospects to get.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lester could bring us a top prospect or two via trade. That's a lot more value than a comp pick.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've posted a few times that the reported Sox offer to Lester this past spring was $70M/5, when actually, it was $70M/4.

That's a bit closer than I stated, but still a long way away from the $20+M for 5+ years demand his agent must be asking for.

Make the final offer a good one. Tell him he has until July 29th to accept. Pray he says yes, but if he declines, then we simply have to get something great in return via a deadline trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At some point our FO needs to pay proven talent close what their value may be without expecting a huge home town discount.

I get your point, but so far there have not been many departing Sox free agent that (at the time) I would have paid what they got and given the years they got. Not Ellsbury. Not Damon. Not Pedro.

I like Salty at his contract, but I think the bridge was burned when he was benched in the WS.

I would have liked to have seen Beltre back, but the years were long. In hindsight, maybe that was one to keep.

I did not want to pay VMart a lot, but thought the Detroit deal was not outrageous. At the time, I mentioned I'd have offered a little more, but I'm not upset we lost him at that money, since I saw him as a 1Bman/DH not a catcher going forward, and we already had 1B & DH covered.

I want to keep Lester. I'd seriously think about "overpaying" for him. We can't replace what he gives us easily, and we certainly can't afford to take a step back when we need to be looking to step forward.  I'd offer Lester close to $102/5 with a 6th year option at $15M with a $3M buyout, so essentially it would be a $105M/5 or $117M/6 deal.

If he choose to say no, we have to get better than a draft choice, even if it means packing up our 2014 chances by trading him this July.

It is decision time for Lester and the Sox.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

At some point our FO needs to pay proven talent close what their value may be without expecting a huge home town discount.

I get your point, but so far there have not been many departing Sox free agent that (at the time) I would have paid what they got and given the years they got. Not Ellsbury. Not Damon. Not Pedro.

I like Salty at his contract, but I think the bridge was burned when he was benched in the WS.

I would have liked to have seen Beltre back, but the years were long. In hindsight, maybe that was one to keep.

I did not want to pay VMart a lot, but thought the Detroit deal was not outrageous. At the time, I mentioned I'd have offered a little more, but I'm not upset we lost him at that money, since I saw him as a 1Bman/DH not a catcher going forward, and we already had 1B & DH covered.

I want to keep Lester. I'd seriously think about "overpaying" for him. We can't replace what he gives us easily, and we certainly can't afford to take a step back when we need to be looking to step forward.  I'd offer Lester close to $102/5 with a 6th year option at $15M with a $3M buyout, so essentially it would be a $105M/5 or $117M/6 deal.

If he choose to say no, we have to get better than a draft choice, even if it means packing up our 2014 chances by trading him this July.

Sox4ever

I completely agree moon, when you have a guy "only one really" that comes out every year and gives you 200 quality innings and is lights out in the PS you can't afford to lose him especially to a divisional rival.  Jon could be a difference maker to one of our rivals and another devastating loss to our club.  We have too many decisions to make offensively and defensively and with few arms "if any" ready to step in it's not worth the risk.  Sign Jon first, it won't kill us financially then begin to fix the offense with a big trade that brings us a Stanton type long term fixture.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I completely agree moon, when you have a guy "only one really" that comes out every year and gives you 200 quality innings and is lights out in the PS you can't afford to lose him especially to a divisional rival.  Jon could be a difference maker to one of our rivals and another devastating loss to our club.  We have too many decisions to make offensively and defensively and with few arms "if any" ready to step in it's not worth the risk.  Sign Jon first, it won't kill us financially then begin to fix the offense with a big trade that brings us a Stanton type long term fixture.

[/QUOTE]

I'd probably offer a little more than my suggested offer, if that's what it would take to keep Jon here. Maybe add a 7th year.

We'd have to sign Scherzer just to get back on track. How much will that take out of our winter spending budget?

I certainly want Lester back, but my big emphasis at this point in the season is that we have to plan on getting the most we can for him, if we are not going to keep him. Getting just a draft pick for losing Lester would just about kill our hopes. If we got 2 or 3 very good prospects or 2 top prospects for Lester, we could then afford to package multiple prospects for someone like Stanton without sacrificing the future. We'll have enough budget space to make a good stab at replacing Lester, and maybe we come up a bit short there, but make up the difference when replacing Peavy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester is our Ace and NEEDS to be resigned.

id start at 22m per over 6 years. If it takes a vesting option based on games pitched over his last two seasons to get it done then do it. You can bet the NYY would do it. 

Lester should have no issue pitching into his mid 30's. I think its A fair number based on what top pitchers are getting today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

id start at 22m per over 6 years. If it takes a vesting option based on games pitched over his last two seasons to get it done then do it. You can bet the NYY would do it. 

Lester should have no issue pitching into his mid 30's. I think its A fair number based on what top pitchers are getting today.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right.

[/QUOTE]

I Agree totally get it done Ben because I'm not seeing too many 200 inning pitchers like Jon on this club or in our near future with his PS stats.  Letting him go would not be in our best interest, especially if he ends up pitching for a rival.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester's on pace for his 7th straight 190+ IP season.

That does show consistency and dependability, but part of me worries that a lot of innings have been put on the 29 year old's arm.

I realize signing any pitcher to a 6 or 7 year deal is a big risk, and I think Lester's health is not as a big a concern as with most other soon to be FA pitchers, but I'm just pointing out that pitching near 200 innings every season looks good in some ways, but is a little scary in other ways.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I don't know if we are in the mode of trading prospects for some studs. It ma well be the other way around. For example, I bet Peavy gets traded within 2 weeks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know if we are in the mode of trading prospects for some studs. It ma well be the other way around. For example, I bet Peavy gets traded within 2 weeks.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I see it this way: we should trade every single player that is not in our 2015 and beyond plans for the best prospects we can get.

Then, this winter, we should sign some key free agents and look to make at least one multiple prospect trade for a 1 or 2 key young players with several years of team control, such as Stanton with an extended contract.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I see it this way: we should trade every single player that is not in our 2015 and beyond plans for the best prospects we can get.

Then, this winter, we should sign some key free agents and look to make at least one multiple prospect trade for a 1 or 2 key young players with several years of team control, such as Stanton with an extended contract.

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more Moon. I'm all for moving Perczynski, Peavy, Gomes, Drew, Breslow for whatever we can get for them and start seeing immediately what Vasquez brings to the table. I'd move Bogey back to shortstop, play Middlebrooks either at third (to build value or evaluate ourselves),  play Betts, Bradley and Holt full-time in the outfield, and put Rubby back in the rotation. I'd offer Lester $125-$135mil over six years, renegotiate Lackey for something like 3/$40mil. The timing couldn't be worse, but I'd also explore the market for Buchholz, Doubront and Middlebrooks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more Moon. I'm all for moving Perczynski, Peavy, Gomes, Drew, Breslow for whatever we can get for them and start seeing immediately what Vasquez brings to the table. I'd move Bogey back to shortstop, play Middlebrooks either at third (to build value or evaluate ourselves),  play Betts, Bradley and Holt full-time in the outfield, and put Rubby back in the rotation. I'd offer Lester $125-$135mil over six years, renegotiate Lackey for something like 3/$40mil. The timing couldn't be worse, but I'd also explore the market for Buchholz, Doubront and Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

I have no faith in Middy, but trading him when his stock is rock bottom is probably not a good idea.

Lackey is too old for anything more than a 1 year extension.

I would not count on Holt and JBJ to both be adequate FT OF'ers going forward. I think we need a solid dependable big bopper OF'er added to this team, and then let Vic, JBJ, Betts and Holt win the other 2 slots (Holt and Betts could get some more PAs as back-up IF'ers).

I do not like the idea of Bogey being our long term SS answer, but as a bridge to Marrero or the next FA SS we sign, I'm OK with him there for a short term. I had hoped he'd grow into the 3B position, but I'm not sure he can be a plus there either. I don't want an OF full of recently moved IF'ers either (Bogey joining Holt, Betts and Cecchini).

Stanton makes the most sense, and maybe if we can land a 3Bman or SS via trade or FA signing, the rest will take care of itself, assuming we keep Lester & Uehara around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've posted a few times that the reported Sox offer to Lester this past spring was $70M/5, when actually, it was $70M/4.

That's a bit closer than I stated, but still a long way away from the $20+M for 5+ years demand his agent must be asking for.

Make the final offer a good one. Tell him he has until July 29th to accept. Pray he says yes, but if he declines, then we simply have to get something great in return via a deadline trade.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].  We are paying an over the hill, near the end of line Peavy 15 mil a year. Not to mention that we gave up a low cost, brilliant young shortstop to get him. And we are going to offer our own, home grown ace, one of the best pitchers in the game, the same deal ?  And we expect him to happily accept it as a " home town discount ?" Is that a good way to run a business?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It seems to me that given all the stock piling of arms and such, the Redsox plans are to develop from within almost entirely. I'm hopeful they do what it takes to sign Lester, which to me will be at least 5 years / $115 and likely more than that. Lester will want 6 years $136 or more. My guess is that the Redsox don't go there. That 6th year is a bridge too far.

Look at what they did in the international signings just last week. They focused on two of the best arms, who look to be closest to mlb of any of the kids there. And then only a rangy SS for $300,000. So far that's it.

They drafted a high upside starting pitching prospect with their # 7 pick 2 years ago. One of their top 2 picks last year was a starter. They have held on to all their top pitching prospects with everything they have got even when they are in tremendous demand this season. They could have traded one for a hitter. They didn't.

They might sign Lester but I'm not counting on it. Overall, I think their plan is probably good. M/y only caveat is that sometimes they probably are going to have to spend for the next Pedro, Tanaka...etc...if they want to contend but I don't think that is their plan. They are going to spend a lot of money, but they will squeeze every dime before spending it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are paying an over the hill, near the end of line Peavy 15 mil a year. Not to mention that we gave up a low cost, brilliant young shortstop to get him. And we are going to offer our own, home grown ace, one of the best pitchers in the game, the same deal ? And we expect him to happily accept it as a " home town discount ?" Is that a good way to run a business?

I was against the Iggy trade, but in fairness, Iggy would not have played this year for us either.

I'm not sure what the current offer is to Lester, so I have no opinion on that, but I'd offer him $105M/5 or $120M/6 take it or leave it by July 29th. If he says no, I'd trade him for the best prospects we can get in return.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

It seems to me that given all the stock piling of arms and such, the Redsox plans are to develop from within almost entirely. I'm hopeful they do what it takes to sign Lester, which to me will be at least 5 years / $115 and likely more than that. Lester will want 6 years $136 or more. My guess is that the Redsox don't go there. That 6th year is a bridge too far.

Look at what they did in the international signings just last week. They focused on two of the best arms, who look to be closest to mlb of any of the kids there. And then only a rangy SS for $300,000. So far that's it.

They drafted a high upside starting pitching prospect with their # 7 pick 2 years ago. One of their top 2 picks last year was a starter. They have held on to all their top pitching prospects with everything they have got even when they are in tremendous demand this season. They could have traded one for a hitter. They didn't.

They might sign Lester but I'm not counting on it. Overall, I think their plan is probably good. M/y only caveat is that sometimes they probably are going to have to spend for the next Pedro, Tanaka...etc...if they want to contend but I don't think that is their plan. They are going to spend a lot of money, but they will squeeze every dime before spending it.

[/QUOTE]

What other options are out there for replacing Lester?

Scherzer may cost $30M per x who knows how many years.

Price would cost a lot of prospects and the Rays might not deal him to us, even if we make the best offer.

Anyone else?

We cannot expect a bunch of kids to fill Lester's shoes, even if we give them 3-5 years to do so, which would basically mean we won't likely compete for that long.

The young pitching prospects should be counted on to fill the 4 and 5 slots of our future rotation, unless and util they prove they are better. Until then, we should not count on them to lead us to rings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo is showing what "proactive" means in MLB. I'm not saying he was right not to extend these guys, but he recognized the two sides were too far apart and he pulled the trigger and got some nice prospects instead of lousy comp picks.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stay tuned for A Realistic View at 2014: Part III

and...

A Realistic View at 2015: Part I

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

Stay tuned for A Realistic View at 2014: Part III

and...

A Realistic View at 2015: Part I

[/QUOTE]

The Realistic View  today is to forget this year and prepare from now  on a winning contender for 2016... next year only the valuable forge...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we can contend in 2015.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We need to do this coming off season what we should have done last off season. You first have to recognize and admit your mistakes before you can correct them. This is looking more and more like a lost season. There are still some who insist that everything was done right.  Well, everything was not done right. We are seeing the results. We need to learn from it and get it right this time.

Stabbed by Foulke.