A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see why people are assuming Kuroda won't be an animal again this year. He is obviously hurting from some horrible defense behind him and the relief corp isn't helping. His strikeouts are on pace with last year and his walks are even down. If he had average defense behind him he would have an ERA of 3.71. That would be our #2 or 3 starter, which was the whole point in wanting to sign him last winter. He was exactly what you have been proposing for years, a guy who upgrades the top of the rotation and I have no problem with a 2 year deal even with him. He has been rock solid for 6 years in a row. How many pitchers in baseball can you say that about? 

I get that he was a tough sign, apparently from that misplaced Japanese extremely loyalty to their team thing, but I don't see why we wouldn't want this guy in our rotation. I also see the cost issue and the lost pick but I'd take him over Peavy or Dempster in a heartbeat and that was what we were discussing last winter.

They look to be putting $6-7 mil into Sizemore also. You could have used that money instead of trading Nava or Carp. It was realistic.

On another note, Betts had another great night last night. 2 more SB and great OBP again. What are the chances he ends up our RF in place of Victorino, or JBJ there and with Betts in CF, maybe Cechinni in LF. I don't see a future for Brentz or Hassan, at least as starters with the Sox.[/QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

I'm not saying Kuroda is done. He certainly has a good chance to do well again this year, but at his age, he also has a good chance of continuing his record over the last 3-4 months of baseball.

Kuroda did not have a good defense behind him last year either, or the year before. Yeah, it looks worse so far, but still...

Yes, his walks are down, but his K rate has declined for 4 straight years. His HR/9 is at a career high. Poor fielding hasn't caused that.

His velocity is down:

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=3283&position=P&pitch=SI

Look, I'd love to have Kuroda, but clearly it would have been a gamble. His cost would have been high. I'm thinking the money could have been spent better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone who thinks Kuroda has been a victim of poor defense so far this year hasn't been watching him pitch. See alot of Yankee games here in CT. The guy has been hit hard this year, seems to lose it for one inning, and gets rocked. After the way he finished last year, not sure 2 yr deal would have been a wise investment. Given what Yankees are paying him, Peavy is bargain.

Doubront needs to get on track in a hurry hopefully it starts tonight. If I were Ben would find some mystery injury and send Buchholz down to farm to get strength or straightened out. Peavy's not the problem these 2 guys are. Bats have also been poor, just when it looked like Middlebrooks was getting hot he gets hurt seems to be a pattern. JBJ has been a dissapointment but think we need to ride it out a bit longer and see if he can be a everyday MLB CF'er? Defensively he's an upgrade. Naps, Vic, Pedey, and Ortiz seem to be the entire offense, need to get more from others or lineup to easy to pitch to.

Hate to say it but trading Nava this past offseason, wasn't such a bad idea after all. Always best to sell when stocks are at a high. [/QUOTE] [object HTMLDivElement]

Shoulda traded Middy 2 years ago too, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's early yet.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hate to say it but trading Nava this past offseason, wasn't such a bad idea after all. Always best to sell when stocks are at a high. [/QUOTE] [object HTMLDivElement]

Shoulda traded Middy 2 years ago too, right?

[/QUOTE]

'Selling high' sounds great.  Everybody would love to be able to always sell high and buy low.

Knowing exactly where the high and low points are is sort of the tricky part. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

FIP = "Fielding Independent Pitching". If it is 3.71 that means if he had average fielding behind him one would project an ERA of 3.71. Kuroda has clearly been hurt by the defense behind him.

We will see where Kuroda ends up this year. Look at his supporting cast though now, his defense and the relievers who come in for him in games. The Yanks will have no choice this year but to over use him. It will be Kuroda and Tanaka all year long keeping them in games.

Did you guys see Bleacher Report projecting Mookie Betts as the best 2nd baseman in baseball in 5 years. How is that for a projection!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

FIP = "Fielding Independent Pitching". If it is 3.71 that means if he had average fielding behind him one would project an ERA of 3.71. Kuroda has clearly been hurt by the defense behind him.

We will see where Kuroda ends up this year. Look at his supporting cast though now, his defense and the relievers who come in for him in games. The Yanks will have no choice this year but to over use him. It will be Kuroda and Tanaka all year long keeping them in games.

Did you guys see Bleacher Report projecting Mookie Betts as the best 2nd baseman in baseball in 5 years. How is that for a projection! /QUOTE]object HTMLDivElement]

I wanted Tanaka, but would not have spent what it might have taken to outbid the Yanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I was hoping for either Kuroda or Tanaka. No doubt it was going to be expensive and we just were not going over the luxury tax limit this year. I'm really curious what they will do in 2016, when it is more of a non issue. We aren't getting revenue sharing after 2016 anyway. Imagine the cash flow for teams like KC and Miami then, when all the revenue sharing goes to the bottom 15 markets. That is a license to print money essentially. They will not need any fans to make a profit.

And the parity impact should be even more pronounced. The Sox are in it for the long haul. The things they do make more sense if looked at with the new CBA in mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As we discussed, we would have had to unload a pitcher's salary, which we did end up doing but we then signed Capuano. Tanaka was clearly out of reach but worth a run at. I think we could have gotten Kuroda rather than Tanaka though in a short term deal. We still have $7 mil or so under the cap don't we. Mujica was $6 mil or so was't he and Sizemore will be $5-6 mil before we are through. We would be trading Nava or Carp in that scenario and replacing them with a $5 mil Davis. It would be close.

Even if it were Choo, Davis and Abreu only it would have transformed this team. We would be in 1st place right now, easily.

[/QUOTE]

Kuroda has an ERA of 4.62 and an ERA+ of 89 this year. He is also 39 years old. Signing him would have been a mistake. Tanaka has been good so far, but is clearly not worth the money. Neither is Choo. I am glad we avoided all three of those players.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

not to mention he slowed down big time last year.  Could happen again this year, probably will, and might be worse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As we discussed, we would have had to unload a pitcher's salary, which we did end up doing but we then signed Capuano. Tanaka was clearly out of reach but worth a run at. I think we could have gotten Kuroda rather than Tanaka though in a short term deal. We still have $7 mil or so under the cap don't we. Mujica was $6 mil or so was't he and Sizemore will be $5-6 mil before we are through. We would be trading Nava or Carp in that scenario and replacing them with a $5 mil Davis. It would be close.

Even if it were Choo, Davis and Abreu only it would have transformed this team. We would be in 1st place right now, easily.

[/QUOTE]

Kuroda has an ERA of 4.62 and an ERA+ of 89 this year. He is also 39 years old. Signing him would have been a mistake. Tanaka has been good so far, but is clearly not worth the money. Neither is Choo. I am glad we avoided all three of those players.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

not to mention he slowed down big time last year.  Could happen again this year, probably will, and might be worse.

[/QUOTE]

Kuroda wasn't a realistic option for either side this past winter & it was no secret fairly early on that the Yankees weren't being outbid for Tanaka.  Tanaka also wanted to be a Yankee, which would've made it nearly impossible for the Sox to sign him, even if they were willing to approach 200 million, which they would've never considered.  Choo might've been a worthwhile risk at 4/70 with a possible option, in my opinion, but I seriously doubt the Sox ever even contemplated going 7/130 for a guy with his skill set who will be 32 in July.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We can agree to disagree. Meanwhile Abreu has something like 16 HR now, Choo's hitting .333 with a .450 OBP ...etc. Compare that to our existing 1st baseman and LF situation.

I'm all for spending money for selected free agents in key positions or who represent key abilities and fits. You can't develop every player you need although we are getting close!

Mookie with another dinger today and several more hits. Even Ranaudo had a great game.

Life is good even when we do suffer 2 walk off loses to Minnesota!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

We can agree to disagree. Meanwhile Abreu has something like 16 HR now, Choo's hitting .333 with a .450 OBP ...etc. Compare that to our existing 1st baseman and LF situation.

I'm all for spending money for selected free agents in key positions or who represent key abilities and fits. You can't develop every player you need although we are getting close!

Mookie with another dinger today and several more hits. Even Ranaudo had a great game.

Life is good even when we do suffer 2 walk off loses to Minnesota!

I admire your passion, Boomerangs, I really do, but even if Choo was throwing up triple crown stats right now, you're not going to convince anyone with even a simple understanding of the business side of baseball that 7/130 was a good idea.  The Sox obviously liked Abreu, as they were      one of the teams that offered 60+ million, but with Ortiz and the fact that they loved everything Napoli brought to this team, on AND off the field, Abreu was not a risk they HAD to take.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I was hoping for either Kuroda or Tanaka. No doubt it was going to be expensive and we just were not going over the luxury tax limit this year. I'm really curious what they will do in 2016, when it is more of a non issue. We aren't getting revenue sharing after 2016 anyway. Imagine the cash flow for teams like KC and Miami then, when all the revenue sharing goes to the bottom 15 markets. That is a license to print money essentially. They will not need any fans to make a profit.

And the parity impact should be even more pronounced. The Sox are in it for the long haul. The things they do make more sense if looked at with the new CBA in mind. [/QUOTE] [object HTMLDivElement]

Great and insightful outlook here.

The main reason I like Tanaka over any other big FA out there was that there would be no lost draft pick by signing him. I really think this draft is going to be one of the best in years. Deep and strong. It irks me we never got a pick for Drew.

We discussed first round picks being worth maybe close to $10M these days, but this year, it might be even worth more, especially projecting what a great young player making peanuts 5-7 years from now might be in terms of team value.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Sometimes you have to pay to play. Here we are playing .500 ball now. I'm not happy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Life is good even when we do suffer 2 walk off loses to Minnesota![/QUOTE] [object HTMLDivElement]

I'm really starting to think Betts might be one of those rare birds that could skip to the majors right now and contribute. The problem is: he plays 2B. (See my shuffling the minor league deck thread)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Sometimes you have to pay to play. Here we are playing .500 ball now. I'm not happy! [/QUOTE] [object HTMLDivElement]

It's early still, and although I wouldn't say I am happy either, I'm really not overly concerned either. Except for the A's and Detroit, I don't see anybody clearly better than us on paper (and I don't mean by looking at a quarter season stats). Even Detroit and Oakland have weaknesses and will probably go through a rough stretch at some point.

We will have a hot streak pretty soon, and I predict some here will then go overboard on the gushy side. We are not the top favorite to win a ring, but I still think this team, as constructed right now can and will make a strong run at a ring. I still think we are a top 5 or 6 contender. There are 25 other teams out there dying for a set-up like we have: strong contender now with a strong future on paper.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Heartbreaking loss yesterday. I have to admit, once we went to 10 innings, I felt like we were going to lose. It's the first time this year, I really have felt negative about this team. I hope we turn things around soon.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The one thing we have over every other team except maybe the Dodgers is depth. That might end being the key this year and if we need to do something at the break, we have tons of minor league talent to trade plus a little payroll flexibility. And they really should move some of these guys due to rule 5 considerations.

I think Ranaudo might be an ideal trade candidate. Huge reputation. So far not convincing results in the minors but solid in the last 2 years. Lots of team would have him in their rotation right now.

Webster has more stuff and I wouldn't trade Barnes because I think he's our best pitching prospect period ( give me fastball command over anything else ). My guess is he learns a cutter, better changeup or slider and becomes a a real solid #3. Obviously Owens has great potential as well. Workman proved good last year but he's still a reliever in Boston, a workhorse mediocre starter for a 2nd division team ( my assessment ). Britton can be a good LH reliever.

DeLarosa is the ultimate tease but will he ever control it. It worries me that the Dodgers bailed on both him and Webster when on paper they looked like great prospects. Did they see something we do not yet see.

Just up and down the minors and even with our young guys in the majors ( JBJ, Middlebrooks...) we have potential trade chips plus Carp, Nava, ..etc. Would Betts and Cechinni already be better solutions in the majors? I don't think so but these guys could soon be all knocking at the mlb door. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

The one thing we have over every other team except maybe the Dodgers is depth. That might end being the key this year and if we need to do something at the break, we have tons of minor league talent to trade plus a little payroll flexibility. And they really should move some of these guys due to rule 5 considerations.

I think Ranaudo might be an ideal trade candidate. Huge reputation. So far not convincing results in the minors but solid in the last 2 years. Lots of team would have him in their rotation right now.

Webster has more stuff and I wouldn't trade Barnes because I think he's our best pitching prospect period ( give me fastball command over anything else ). My guess is he learns a cutter, better changeup or slider and becomes a a real solid #3. Obviously Owens has great potential as well. Workman proved good last year but he's still a reliever in Boston, a workhorse mediocre starter for a 2nd division team ( my assessment ). Britton can be a good LH reliever.

DeLarosa is the ultimate tease but will he ever control it. It worries me that the Dodgers bailed on both him and Webster when on paper they looked like great prospects. Did they see something we do not yet see.

Just up and down the minors and even with our young guys in the majors ( JBJ, Middlebrooks...) we have potential trade chips plus Carp, Nava, ..etc. Would Betts and Cechinni already be better solutions in the majors? I don't think so but these guys could soon be all knocking at the mlb door. [/QUOTE]object HTMLDivElement]

I've always been willing to trade prospects for the right player. I pretty much agree with your assessment of our pitching prospects. The only thing I might want to bring up is the "Dodgers bailed" on de la Rosa & Webster. They might have felt very highly of those two pitchers, but felt more highly about Gon.

I'm not saying you feel this way as well, but it bugs me sometimes when I suggest a trade. Some posters think it means I do not like the player, think the player stinks, or have given up on the player or prospect.  For example, when I suggested we trade Middy after his first season for Gavin Floyd, many felt I was was a Middy hater, but really, I was very high on Floyd, and although he fizzled, it does not mean I was for just handing Middy away.

Sometimes it just seems like a better idea to have one good player instead of the on we have already- out of need for another position improvement or out of a belief that perhaps a change of scenery might help both players. Other times, it is a budget-  based move. Perhaps I did value Middy less than many here, but perhaps those who felt I was selling Middy short, valued Gavin Floyd less than I did. There's two ways of looking at it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I have no problem trading value for value. And Floyd looked to be a solid deal Moon. No one projected he would get hurt. They basically pulled a Floyd when they got Peavy. They were thinking the same way as you.

I am much more hesitant to trade prospects now than I was earlier though because they are so much harder for Boston to replace now. The over slot signings are basically gone. Things have equalized on international signings. People want to trade all of Pawtucket for 2 years of control of guys like Stanton. I don't think people are doing the math very well. Even a mega stud like Stanton doesn't single handedly put Miami in the playoffs or really even come close to doing that. It takes a village. A team.

At the same time, I am willing to spend for top talent. The whole point of developing the farm to me is so you can also afford to sign the top talent to create those top pitchers and hitters who can make the difference in the playoffs. Last year it was basically Ortiz and some of the pitchers like Lester and Lackey. Take any one of those top 3 out and we do not win.

We couldn't afford Tanaka but we could have had Abreu. I think we could have afforded Choo if we didn't sign Napoli. We need to be value shoppers but not always shop at KMart. 

We've spent in the past and have a top payroll now. I hope we continue to spend when appropriate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I have no problem trading value for value. And Floyd looked to be a solid deal Moon. No one projected he would get hurt. They basically pulled a Floyd when they got Peavy. They were thinking the same way as you.

I am much more hesitant to trade prospects now than I was earlier though because they are so much harder for Boston to replace now. The over slot signings are basically gone. Things have equalized on international signings. People want to trade all of Pawtucket for 2 years of control of guys like Stanton. I don't think people are doing the math very well. Even a mega stud like Stanton doesn't single handedly put Miami in the playoffs or really even come close to doing that. It takes a village. A team.

At the same time, I am willing to spend for top talent. The whole point of developing the farm to me is so you can also afford to sign the top talent to create those top pitchers and hitters who can make the difference in the playoffs. Last year it was basically Ortiz and some of the pitchers like Lester and Lackey. Take any one of those top 3 out and we do not win.

We couldn't afford Tanaka but we could have had Abreu. I think we could have afforded Choo if we didn't sign Napoli. We need to be value shoppers but not always shop at KMart. 

We've spent in the past and have a top payroll now. I hope we continue to spend when appropriate.[/QUOTE] [object HTMLDivElement]

Look how much money is spent on prospects in the hopes that a handful will help the team every couple years. Look how many fail compared to the few that make it, and the fewer that make it as plus plus players.

I do not want to trade the farm away, but when young stars are available (Gio Gonzalez, J Upton, W Myers and now maybe Stanton, you basically know these guys have made it- Myers was still a risk), trading away 3-5 question marks for one kn own has it's advantages. I will say that I would not make trades of several top prospects for just 2-3 years of control of a player- I'd demand extension or no deal.

When I suggested trading Middy plus a couple blocked prospects for Floyd and top prospects for Upton, it was out of the belief that Bogey was better suited for 3B anyways, and we had Cecchini, Betts and other player capable of filling the 3B slot eventually. It wasn't that I undervalued Middy by much more than most posters here, I think I was just valuing Cecchini, Betts and Floyd and Upton more than others.

While Abreu and Choo are doing very well, here are how some players mentioned by myself and others over recent years are doing:

Top OPS players

2) 1.023 Stanton (numerous posters have been drooling over this guy, including me)

3) 1.017 Seth Smith (notin was high on this guy.)

7) .971 Utley

11) .925 A LaRoche (why can't we get guys like this?)

12) .925 Morneau (perhaps a bigger steal than N Cruz)

15) .908 Abreu

16) .901 Cruz

18) .889 Choo

22) .873 Upton

23) .873 M Morse

24) .873 A Dunn

27) .863 Rizzo

30) .847 Werth

31) .838 Melky Cabrera

32) .835 A Gon (Napoli)

36) .830 A Ramirez (CWS).

39) .823 Salty 

40) .822 Cespedes

43) .818 K Suzuki (shocking start)

49) .810 A Pagan

54) .804 Byrd

60) .792 T Hunter

63) .785 Garrett Jones

64) .780 Alex Rios

65) .777 Pence

67) .771 Ellsbury

72) .766 Loney

91) .743 R Davis

116) .715 C Beltran (Now injured)

124) .600 A Ramirez (MIL)

133) .689 W Myers

135) .676 Ludwick

147) .647 C Hart 

152) .639 McCann

170) .570 B Butler (out of only 177 qualified players)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Morse was available for a song. Another guy I thought made sense as maybe a platoon guy at 1st. Carp and Morse. Problem solved.

I gotta say that I also like Butler though. Surprised to see he has tanked. Can't believe that sticks long term. Lifetime .296 hitter and he's only 28 years old. Something is going on there or that is incredible bad luck. by far his lowest BAPIP of his career.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Morse was available for a song. Another guy I thought made sense as maybe a platoon guy at 1st. Carp and Morse. Problem solved.

I gotta say that I also like Butler though. Surprised to see he has tanked. Can't believe that sticks long term. Lifetime .296 hitter and he's only 28 years old. Something is going on there or that is incredible bad luck. by far his lowest BAPIP of his career. /QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah, Butler should come back to his norm much the same way R Davis has done in the opposite direction.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BTW, where are all those McCann lovers now?

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Well guys, I'm little jittery at the moment--the problems have been well outlined but it would seem it's nearing time to make some moves.  It seems we have lots of good components so I don't want to "bridge" or coast indefinitely with rookies/under performers when the AL East seems open.  To me it 'looks like the team needs a spark so...I bring up Betts and play him at SS and move Bogie to 3rd.  Betts leads off and Pedey goes to third in the order.  Buch gets two more starts--and if he doesn't look any better, I bring up Workman and slide him in there and give him some starts.  Boom, you might be right but I think he can be a serious starter going forward.  Finally I look to make a trade for a power bat for the OF, midlevel either experienced or up an comer, not the big one but some pop.  I don't see why MB would do worse at S'S than Bogie, but you could play him at 3rd or switch him wih Pedie.      

I think we'lllay better but some moves are needed.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I bring up Betts and play him at SS and move Bogie to 3rd.

The problem is that Betts has not played SS in years. This feeds into my thread about "shuffling the farm deck" now...not later. We knew this kids was blocked for a long time. I don't get why we waited to move him. I heard he played CF the other night.

I think more realistically, we might see Cecchini get a look at 3B, which means Bogey is "given more time" to show he can grow into the SS position. I have never had much faith in his defense at SS, so I have been a founding father of the "Move Bogey to 3B Movement". Sadly, with no SS ready to take over, it is not likely to happen, unless we make a deal for a SS or sign Drew (both unlikely, IMO).

Betts leads off and Pedey goes to third in the order.

We do need to lengthen our line-up, but Pedey is doing well up first, so I see us picking up a 3Bman or LF'er that can bat 4th or 4th as the easier solution. Probably a one year fix- salary dump type deal.

Buch gets two more starts--and if he doesn't look any better, I bring up Workman and slide him in there and give him some starts. Boom, you might be right but I think he can be a serious starter going forward.

I'm no where near giving up on Buch, but he may need some kind of rehab assignment, if he struggles for 3-4 more games.

Finally I look to make a trade for a power bat for the OF, midlevel either experienced or up an comer, not the big one but some pop. I don't see why MB would do worse at S'S than Bogie, but you could play him at 3rd or switch him wih Pedie.

I do think LF looks like the most likely spot for an acquisition of a big bopper.

I think we'll play better but some moves are needed.

I wonder if we'll wait until July 31st. It may be too late by then, and we could become "sellers".

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts