A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part II

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

like I said before the term Star is subjective.  You are saying that being a star necessitates performance, when that is not always the case.  Lebron James was a star before he played one game, Bryce Harper was a star before he had 1 at-bat at the MLb level.

Again this is under the assumption that being a star is associated with fame, when the performance matches then you are an All-star MVP candidate.  Bogaerts doesn't have the playing time to be a star by YOUR definition (which many people would agree with) but if recognition and fame are thrown into the picture (which ALOT of people also believe in ) then Yes Bogaerts is turning into a star right not before our eyes.

Again the definition is subjective, some share your opinion many share mine. 

Star: celebrated, prominent, or distinguished; preeminent: a star basketball player; a star reporter.

I do not believe that someone who has yet to play a single full season at the ML level could accurately be labeled as "celebrated, prominent, or distinguished" as a description of his professional career. Professional sports is littered with guys with great potential who, for whatever reason, were never the successful stars that their potential would have predicted. Greg Oden in basketball is one example. I am sure you can think of others. Until there is performance there is no star...IMO. There is only a potential star.

Ok I agree with you,  You are saying in your opinion.  But there are many others that look at that view completely differently.  If you buy into the notion that "star" is reflective on fame and anticipation then Bogaerts is already a star in Boston in the same sense that Bryce Harper was in Washington.

Ok, poor choice of words on my part.  I "think" Xander Bogaerts will be a perennial all-star in this league, while eventually becoming one of the best players in the game. There are plenty of people on this board who state their opinion over and over as if it is fact.  I make it a point to never do that.  If I had posted, "The Pats are going to win the Superbowl" back in January, I don't think anyone would think I was stating a "fact."

Fair enough.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am astounded by all the talk about Stanton because to me Cherington is absolutely not interested in those long term acquisitions while giving up multiple good players. 

"Absolutely"?

Every GM in MLB is interested in a guy like Stanton.

Instead, he dumped three of them in mid 2012.  He made no real effort to hang onto Ellsbury (with which we all agree--Yankees paid too much).  He probably had some role in letting Pap go to Philly on a long term contract.   He kept Pedroia long term because Pedroia wanted to stay and went for smaller dollars.  He is probably going to keep Lester the same way.  He made no effort to keep Drew after a pretty good year. 

He offered Drew $14.1M/1. I'd call that an "effort". It will likely be about what Drew gets for 2 years, if he signs before June.

Salty, gone (for a longer term deal with Miami)--and good riddance in my view. 

Salty is not gone because of his 3 year deal.

Someone please set me straight.  Give me an example of Cherington seriously going after a big bat.  Just one. 

Rumor had it that he made offers to Ellsbury, Choo (?) and Beltran, but even if he had not made any serious offer for a "big bat", does not mean he never will... if the right one comes along.

Ben hasn't been the GM long enough to be absolutely sure about his willingness to pull the trigger on a blockbuster of the opposite sort from the Dodger deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

First I'll comment on all the Stanton talk. I agree with the folks who do not want to give up the farm for a defensively challenged slugger who has had a difficult time staying on the field. Stay the course Ben!

Today's game at the fort was entertaining. We got pretty good pitching, better than the numbers indicate and we got some timely hitting. We left after the team took the lead in the eighth, only to hear the collective groan from the crowd in the top of the ninth. Lackey threw the ball well but manages to give up more fifteen-hoppers for hits than anyone I know. He was almost out of the third having only allowed two runs when Miller relieved him and gave up a run-scoring hit on his first pitch. From that point on the bullpen shut down the vaunted Marlin attack. Badenhop, Koji, Mujica and Tazawa all looked very good. Britton had a strong eighth, but gave up the lead in the ninth with a two-run homer we didn't see. Vasquez and Butler got key hits to tie and put us ahead respectively. Carp hit another bomb and is either inflating his trade value or forcing Farrell to find time for him. I believe it will be the former.

Crit, you had asked about Britton and he came from behind in counts to get outs in the eighth. He has a power arm but I'm certain he starts the season in AAA, most likely getting innings as a starter. He has Miller, Breslow and Capuano all ahead of him from the left side with Hill and Mijares as veteran insurance, so I don't see him cracking the Boston staff. But I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb by saying his ceiling is higher than any of those lefties; just needs time to harness the stuff.

You also asked about Hassan and he is a mystery to me. We didn't see him much in ST last year and he was injured a good part of last year at AAA, although his numbers were great when he played. Problem is he hits left-handed, like most of our outfielders, and he's not that young, 26 on opening day. He looks like a player and perhaps could be of value to a second division team as a starting outfielder.

The guy who has opened my eyes, after I ripped him a bit for sloppy defense and missing cut-off men, is Brentz. He makes consistently hard contact, not to say his contact is consistent, but his contact is consistently hard, and he can really throw! The key for him, especially as opposed to Hassan, is the right-handed bat. But he is also not that young at 25. Pawtucket should be very good this year if we can keep all these guys there. Corey Brown has also looked very good and should play between Hassan and Brentz at AAA. All of that is assuming we don't move or otherwise lose these guys.

I didn't see the Orioles game obviously, but another Middlebrooks homer and a two-run triple for Bradley, and three more knocks for AJ are all encouraging signs. Lavarnway also homered, perhaps adding to his value.

Thanks for the report. Enlightening as always.

The way these back-up and AAA OF'ers are hitting, I'm guessing one is traded by opening day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lots of talk on Bogey over recent pages.

Nobody knows for sure just how good he can and will become. There are slight odds he will flame out, but I find those odds dwindling to neat zero the more I see him play.

I don't think we should expect greatness year one, but I'm leaving the door open.

Personally, I'd be happy with an .800+ OPS and near average defense in 2014. I'm expecting over .900 at some point, but will not be dissapointed if he becomes a decent fielder at SS with a consistent .850 OPS. Even a .775 OPS from a decent fielding SS is a net plus in MLB these days.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I am astounded by all the talk about Stanton because to me Cherington is absolutely not interested in those long term acquisitions while giving up multiple good players. 

"Absolutely"?

Instead, he dumped three of them in mid 2012.  He made no real effort to hang onto Ellsbury (with which we all agree--Yankees paid too much).  He probably had some role in letting Pap go to Philly on a long term contract.   He kept Pedroia long term because Pedroia wanted to stay and went for smaller dollars.  He is probably going to keep Lester the same way.  He made no effort to keep Drew after a pretty good year. 

He offered Drew $14.1M/1. I'd call that an "effort". It will likely be about what Drew gets for 2 years, if he signs before June.

Someone please set me straight.  Give me an example of Cherington seriously going after a big bat.  Just one. 

Rumor had it that he made offers to Ellsbury, Choo (?) and Beltran, but even if he had not made any serious offer for a "big bat", does not mean he never will... if the right one comes along.

Ben hasn't been the GM long enough to be absolutely sure about his willingness to pull the trigger on a blockbuster of the opposite sort from the Dodger deal.

moonslav,

You are far more expert than I, and I agree "absolutely" was a little over the top.  I also agree that we are still early enough in Cherington's tenure we can't be definitive about what he will do. 

That said, I think your rebuttals were pretty thin.  Cherington was pretty sure Drew would not accept the $14.1 M offer if only because Boras is his agent and had already been making big talk about Drew's options for a multi-year contract, and he has made no serious offer since.   Rumors of offers don't count, sorry. 

I'm intrigued by your comment on Salty.  I thought the Sox made no offer at all because Farrell and his pitching coach, no doubt having also talked to the pitchers, decided Salty's hitting wasn't good enough to compensate his CERA or whatever.  I thought the handwriting was on the wall in October when Ross was the starting catcher for all four WS wins. 

I say again, to date Cherington has shown no interest in big bucks long term contracts and every interest in letting other GMs do that.  But, you're right, it's still early innings with Ben.  As for Stanton, I guess a deal might make sense that doesn't involved Bogaerts. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

"Absolutely"?

moonslav,

You are far more expert than I, and I agree "absolutely" was a little over the top.  I also agree that we are still early enough in Cherington's tenure we can't be definitive about what he will do. 

That said, I think your rebuttals were pretty thin.  Cherington was pretty sure Drew would not accept the $14.1 M offer if only because Boras is his agent and had already been making big talk about Drew's options for a multi-year contract, and he has made no serious offer since.   Rumors of offers don't count, sorry. 

I agree that they expected and even hoped Drew would turn down the offer, but the fact is, he made a substantial offer to Drew.

I'm intrigued by your comment on Salty.  I thought the Sox made no offer at all because Farrell and his pitching coach, no doubt having also talked to the pitchers, decided Salty's hitting wasn't good enough to compensate his CERA or whatever.  I thought the handwriting was on the wall in October when Ross was the starting catcher for all four WS wins. 

I don't disagree, and when Salty was benched during the WS, I said he was as good as gone. My point was that not offering Salty a deal had nothing to do with some "no longterm deal" strategy by Ben, rather it was about what he perceived Salty's value to be.

I say again, to date Cherington has shown no interest in big bucks long term contracts and every interest in letting other GMs do that.  But, you're right, it's still early innings with Ben.  As for Stanton, I guess a deal might make sense that doesn't involved Bogaerts. 

Stanton is not a big bucks contract, and even if we extended him, his over all deal, which would include the first 3 years at very a reasonable cost, would be cost-effective.

I do think Ben would consider a longterm deal for the right player, but none of those guys seem to make it to free agency anymore. The ones that do are too old, fragile or flawed in some ways. 

My point is that we cannot judge over Ben's small sample size that he has been, still is, or never will be "interested in big bucks longterm contract" for a big bat. The last two years of free agency lacked any Manny Ramirezes or under 30 studs. Just because he did not make a serious offer to Hamilton doesn't prove he never will make an offer to the right guy. I'm glad he didn't offer Hamilton a big bucks deal. 

I agree, I don't consider the $39M/3 year deals offered to Victorino and Napoli do not count as longterm deals, and Ben would clearly prefer these kinds of deals to high risk 5+ year deals to aging stars, but I am near positive he would make a huge 8 year offer to Bryce Harper, if he was a FA right now.

The Dodger deal was out of neccesity, and should not be viewed as a longterm strategy. I do think Ben is looking for mid-level guys to sign short-term, while hoping the gain value and can be QO free egnts that net us draft picks when they walk. It's a great strategy, but it is not the only method he considers to improve this team. He did trade a very good young pitcher, in Melancon along with other prospects for Hanrahan, so he's not all one-way with his dealings. He is as balanced as he can be, IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Gary I have not seen Breslow yet, but Farrell has said that he will NOT start the season on the DL and needs very little time to get ready. I'm going down to the minor-league complex today as Doubie is pitching a minor-league game. Some of my best times last year were had at the lower fields as the guys are more accessible and the younger players and media will talk to anyone. Add to that the fact that I'm pushing a wheelchair and everyone is kinder to me/us. I will be sure to ask about Breslow today. One thing I've learned over the last few years here is that Spring Training is too long, it's a money-maker for MLB, and the only people who really need alot of time are the starting pitchers. In this day and age, with the salaries what they are, players are not coming down to get back in shape after working their winter jobs. Their winter job IS to stay in shape. I haven't seen a Red Sox player yet this spring who doesn't look very fit.

Thx for the update! Even Doubie looks good, lets hope it all tramslates on the field as well. Not too worried about Lester / Lackey even w/ the workload last yr. But Peavey and Buch different story. Buch looks to be fine, hopeful for a full season this yr, Peavey really believe he's not a 200 IP a yr guy anymore, but hopeful he can give us a 150 or so and will alow kids to get some starts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Gary I have not seen Breslow yet, but Farrell has said that he will NOT start the season on the DL and needs very little time to get ready. I'm going down to the minor-league complex today as Doubie is pitching a minor-league game. Some of my best times last year were had at the lower fields as the guys are more accessible and the younger players and media will talk to anyone. Add to that the fact that I'm pushing a wheelchair and everyone is kinder to me/us. I will be sure to ask about Breslow today. One thing I've learned over the last few years here is that Spring Training is too long, it's a money-maker for MLB, and the only people who really need alot of time are the starting pitchers. In this day and age, with the salaries what they are, players are not coming down to get back in shape after working their winter jobs. Their winter job IS to stay in shape. I haven't seen a Red Sox player yet this spring who doesn't look very fit.

Thx for the update! Even Doubie looks good, lets hope it all tramslates on the field as well. Not too worried about Lester / Lackey even w/ the workload last yr. But Peavey and Buch different story. Buch looks to be fine, hopeful for a full season this yr, Peavey really believe he's not a 200 IP a yr guy anymore, but hopeful he can give us a 150 or so and will alow kids to get some starts.

Your take on Peavy is exactly my take on him. And most likely Workman and/or Webster, whoever is dealing the best in Pawtucket, could fill those roles. There is also Capuano to consider. History says you're most likely going to need eight starters and I think the top five, plus the three I just mentioned is as deep as any rotation in MLB.

Doubie looked solid today, going five innings against Twins' minor-leaguers. He seemed to lose concentration in the third, giving up a wind-aided homerun to a lefty and another run on a single and double. For the rest of the outing he was overpowering. Butler was his catcher, and as soon as Doubie left, so did Butler. I got to see Mookie who didn't do much and a big lefty hitter who played both corners of the infield, named Weich, hit a two-run bomb against a lefty. Butler had a two-run double and looked very comfortable catching Doubie and hitting minor-league offerings. He's further complicating the catching situation, whatever do we do with so many good catchers? Nice problem to have.

I spoke to Chris Gasper and Peter Abraham who both gave me the cold shoulder, clearly threatened by my presence on their turf. Actually I did chat with them both, both were very cordial, and I totally made up the other stuff. I asked them if they ever read any of this stuff we write and they both said they read the comments on their stories but not the forums. So much for thinking they are stealing our material as Softy often alledged.Wink 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Lots of talk on Bogey over recent pages.

Nobody knows for sure just how good he can and will become. There are slight odds he will flame out, but I find those odds dwindling to neat zero the more I see him play.

I don't think we should expect greatness year one, but I'm leaving the door open.

Personally, I'd be happy with an .800+ OPS and near average defense in 2014. I'm expecting over .900 at some point, but will not be dissapointed if he becomes a decent fielder at SS with a consistent .850 OPS. Even a .775 OPS from a decent fielding SS is a net plus in MLB these days.

Even an 800 OPS with average defense would effectively make him a potential all star at SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Even an 800 OPS with average defense would effectively make him a potential all star at SS. 

Drew almost pulled that off last year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

What are they going to say Jidge. They read this stuff at least some. If they are doing their job. How hard is their job anyway, coming up with 500 words of text each day. Moon comes up with that before breakfast!

I wish the Sox had made some of the deals I wanted this off season but they kept all their prospects and their depth is still exceptional. I think we've got to be favored again in the AL with all the pitching depth and the ability to score runs still being top 5 potential, maybe even top 2 potential.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm a little concerned with Miller and Breslow, especially Miller but we do have some depth there even. Don't know what to think of our new 70 mph underhand thrower and Badenhop. But what a great situation to have when we can throw Workman in the pen right up front and later in the year maybe bring up Barnes, Ranaudo...etc for the pen as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, I love the team, top to bottom, but you can't sleep on anyone in the AL East. Every team could win the division. Baltimore's lineup is loaded; they will lead the league in runs scored this year I believe. And the Yankees will put up lots of runs as well, and they will probably need every one of them. Toronto was last season's favorite prom date but it all collapsed with a ton of injuries and under-performers. But they have that whole band back together. And finally, Tampa, with either the best or second best pitching in the division, along with us, will pitch too well to incur any long losing streaks. Speaking of which, of all the great things the Sox accomplished last season, the most eye-popping of all is never having lost more than three games in a row throughout a 162 game schedule in the AL East!

As to your second post, Miller is throwing the ball fine, just a little wild in his earlier outings. The 70 mph underhander will never see Fenway without a ticket or without being someone's date. Badenhop is another strike-thrower who seems to keep the ball down in the zone, a good guy to bring in when we need to turn two. The pen is nothing to worry about at this time. But if we go through three closers by midseason....wait a minute, we did that last year and won everything!

Your concerns about Breslow are legit, but we have loads of depth, righthanders who can get out lefties just as easily as lefties, and the assurances from Farrell and all concerned that there is no reason to be concerned.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I agree that you can't sleep on anyone in the AL east,  The Yankees could fall apart but they can also be VERY good with a clean bill of health and a rejuvinated CC.  Baltimore looks stacked this year, that lineup has some good power in it and when they get Bundy back to lead the rotation their pitching will be good too.  I suspect Toronto will have a bounce back year because there is just too much talent on that team for them to be bad, and of course....we can never count out Tampa (feels so weird saying that)

The last few years I wasn't really that impressed with the A.L. East.  I thought that the notion of playing in the A.L. East was the toughest division to play in was built on past reputation.....but the A.L. East is easily the most stacked and toughest division again.  The N.L. Central comes close.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yes, anyone in the AL East can come in first or last.  Let's hope we stay relatively healthy, I believe the teams in the division that can keep their best guys on the field the most will have the best shot of playing in October.  We do have greater depth than other AL East teams however, and would still have a shot at winning the division even if we were we lose key guys for stretches.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The AL East isn't going away anytime soon. Here's one reason why:

Qualifying Free Agents signed this winter:

Yankees 4: Beltran, Ellsbury, Kuroda, & McCann

Orioles 2: Cruz & Jimenez

Red Sox 1: Napoli

The rest of MLB: 4: Cano (Sea), Choo (Texas), Grandy (NYM) & Santana (Atl)

7 of 11 to 1 of 6 divisions.

(Note: 5 of the 11 were in the AL East last year.)

Drew & Morales are still unsigned.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Well the board is a little edgy tonight, everyone is bobbing, weaving, throwing his best jab.  Maybe we're getting the rust off like the players.  Nice to see you back Southpaw--haven't seen you in a while.  Jid, thanks again for your reports.  Every report trumpets our cornucopia of gifts: pitching, catching, young outfielders, etc.  If we decide to make a trade, we have the goods.  Speaking of trades, I hear Atlanta is down about three injured starters.  Does that do anything for your neurons, Moon?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Drew almost pulled that off last year.

Drew didn't have a bad year imo, just a little too steaky for my liking. He tied his career high  for rbi in only 124 games ( of course it helps being on the Sox who load the bases every other inning).no complaints on His defense either. I'm one that is still a little surprised he's still available. That said, I think we see Bogey put up better offensive #'s virtually everywhere. BA, BB, HR, SB, XBH, you name it. Defense? Unless he pulls a Renteria out there, shld be fine. 

Any (realistic) predictions on Bogey's end of year categorical stats? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Your take on Peavy is exactly my take on him. And most likely Workman and/or Webster, whoever is dealing the best in Pawtucket, could fill those roles. There is also Capuano to consider. History says you're most likely going to need eight starters and I think the top five, plus the three I just mentioned is as deep as any rotation in MLB.

Doubie looked solid today, going five innings against Twins' minor-leaguers. He seemed to lose concentration in the third, giving up a wind-aided homerun to a lefty and another run on a single and double. For the rest of the outing he was overpowering. Butler was his catcher, and as soon as Doubie left, so did Butler. I got to see Mookie who didn't do much and a big lefty hitter who played both corners of the infield, named Weich, hit a two-run bomb against a lefty. Butler had a two-run double and looked very comfortable catching Doubie and hitting minor-league offerings. He's further complicating the catching situation, whatever do we do with so many good catchers? Nice problem to have.

I spoke to Chris Gasper and Peter Abraham who both gave me the cold shoulder, clearly threatened by my presence on their turf. Actually I did chat with them both, both were very cordial, and I totally made up the other stuff. I asked them if they ever read any of this stuff we write and they both said they read the comments on their stories but not the forums. So much for thinking they are stealing our material as Softy often alledged.Wink 

Have a funny feelings that those guys do read forums as well. Funny how there stories can be so close to some of the things mentioned on the boards. Long season getting new ideas for a story line can get difficult. In past I had bashed Shaunessy alot [thought he preferred when RS struggle more than when things were good] he actually contacted me via email basically say I was a fan while he had a job to do, just thought he enjoyed the whole curse / 011 / 012 stuff just a little too much and didn't give this ownership / leadership enough credit for what they have done w/ this franchise.

Feel bad for a guy like Butler. He is one of those guys who's probably going to get squeezed unless AJ or Ross get hurt relatively early this year. RS would probably do him a huge favor by dealing him. He could be a quality backup catcher for someone. Good defense and bat that won't kill you. But will probably keep as insurance in case Swihart / Vasquez get hurt or don't pan out. Too bad because the guy probably deserves a shot.

Agree on the pitchers. Would not be surprised to see Farrell and Nieves possibly give Lackey / Lester some sort of break [mystery injury-14 day DL] just to keep fresh for end of season. Buch / Peavey we know will get some time off, question is hopefully not too long w/ these 2. Big supporter of Doubie, feel he could become a 15 game winner here. Middle of last season when Lester was struggling and Buch was out he and Lackey were holding the rotation together, era was 3.7 til Sept swoon. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Well the board is a little edgy tonight, everyone is bobbing, weaving, throwing his best jab.  Maybe we're getting the rust off like the players.  Nice to see you back Southpaw--haven't seen you in a while.  Jid, thanks again for your reports.  Every report trumpets our cornucopia of gifts: pitching, catching, young outfielders, etc.  If we decide to make a trade, we have the goods.  Speaking of trades, I hear Atlanta is down about three injured starters.  Does that do anything for your neurons, Moon?

I was glad to see them sign Santana, so we move up to #26 in this June's draft. Atlanta has never scared me. I'm glad Erwin went to the NL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew didn't have a bad year imo, just a little too steaky for my liking. He tied his career high  for rbi in only 124 games ( of course it helps being on the Sox who load the bases every other inning).no complaints on His defense either. I'm one that is still a little surprised he's still available. That said, I think we see Bogey put up better offensive #'s virtually everywhere. BA, BB, HR, SB, XBH, you name it. Defense? Unless he pulls a Renteria out there, shld be fine. 

I agree: Bogey's offense will be slightly better than Drew's 2013 numbers, and he will more than likely do it for 150+ games. I think his defense will be worse, but I underestimated Drew and Aviles, so hopefully I'm wrong for 3 straight years.

I'd guess something like .285  16  80 (.360/.420/.780), but I'm cutting him a lot of slack for his rookie season. I think eventually he'll be over .900.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Big supporter of Doubie, feel he could become a 15 game winner here. Middle of last season when Lester was struggling and Buch was out he and Lackey were holding the rotation together, era was 3.7 til Sept swoon. 

It would not surprise me, if Doubie ends up with the second best numbers in our rotation by year's end.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, I was thinking about whether we could propose a trade with some of our pitching with Atlanta.  Do they have any up-and-coming that we might want?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I agree: Bogey's offense will be slightly better than Drew's 2013 numbers, and he will more than likely do it for 150+ games. I think his defense will be worse, but I underestimated Drew and Aviles, so hopefully I'm wrong for 3 straight years.

I'd guess something like .285  16  80 (.360/.420/.780), but I'm cutting him a lot of slack for his rookie season. I think eventually he'll be over .900.

Those would be potential all star numbers at SS if he is an average fielder. We should be hopeful for those numbers this year but I actually think it's possible. A little more OPS even. No doubt we are optimistic in these expectations but the guy has shown indications he will hit extremely well.  

Sections
Shortcuts