A Realistic View at 2014: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part III

My initial reaction is that I'm underwhelmed with the return from all the trades.

I'm biased towards a rebuild with prospects I admit, but Cespedes for one year doesn't seem logical to me.  I don't see the Sox being competitive with all the young pitchers in 2015, assuming they don't sign an ace.  But hey, I thought last year's team was a 90ish win, serious playoff run no hoper.

Funny thing baseball, the Sox have been terrible since August 2011, with a one year exception. Crazy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Peavy for Escobar & Hembree

Doubront for PTBNL (after Rule 5 deadline).

Lester for Cespedes and a draft pick.

Lackey & Litrell for Craig and Kelly

Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez.lso

Sox4ever

Quote:

I don't think we should have traded Miller, especially to the Orioles but like Lester we could get him back.  We also have as many or more tradable pieces as any team in baseball without killing our farm too badly and cash to burn.  After the genius salary dump Ben made to rebuild last season I'm certainly not going to doubt his next plan.  He could end up on the losing end or simply be our best GM ever.  He was here before Theo, learned from his mistakes and isn't afraid to change things quickly when they go south which I love.  Regardless our FO has to show Lester we appreciate and want him back.  Hopefully both sides have enough respect for each other we find a way to make it happen because Jon is a huge loss.

The Rays on the other hand I feel hurt themselves this time around.  They normally make great moves but Smyly regardless of his age will never replace David Price and I don't see the prospects helping them either.  The Tigers just set themselves up to possibly win the WS as did the A'S. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

My initial reaction is that I'm underwhelmed with the return from all the trades.

I'm biased towards a rebuild with prospects I admit, but Cespedes for one year doesn't seem logical to me.  I don't see the Sox being competitive with all the young pitchers in 2015, assuming they don't sign an ace.  But hey, I thought last year's team was a 90ish win, serious playoff run no hoper.

Funny thing baseball, the Sox have been terrible since August 2011, with a one year exception. Crazy.

They did add to their prospects list to make a trade this winter.

Kelly Johnson for Drew was weird (both are FAs after this year).

Cespedes for just 2015 is baffling. My guess is we think he will extend....possibly trade next deadline, if not.

Some of these deals are questionable, but I'm glad we didn't play it half way.

We basically dealt every FA to be except Badenhop and Ross.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

They did add to their prospects list to make a trade this winter.

Kelly Johnson for Drew was weird (both are FAs after this year).

Cespedes for just 2015 is baffling. My guess is we think he will extend....possibly trade next deadline, if not.

Some of these deals are questionable, but I'm glad we didn't play it half way.

We basically dealt every FA to be except Badenhop and Ross.

I think Papi and Ces will become instant friends which is great because I wouldn't want anyone other than Papi mentoring him.  I think the FO plan is hoping a year from now Ces improves to the point we extend him to become an intrical part on this team whether it be in the OF or at DH.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Papi and Ces will become instant friends which is great because I wouldn't want anyone other than Papi mentoring him. I think the FO plan is hoping a year from now Ces improves to the point we extend him to become an intrical part on this team whether it be in the OF or at DH.

If he improves too much, he may be out of our price range.

Papi as a role model not running out grounders and show boating HRs may not be a perfect fit for Cespedes.

I'm going to do a complete rundown on today's trades once I do some more research, but my initial reaction is that I expected more for Lester and think we went a little too heavy on 2015 and not 2016 and beyond. Certainly, our future looks brighter, if we assume none of these guys were going to extend or re-sign anyways.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I think Papi and Ces will become instant friends which is great because I wouldn't want anyone other than Papi mentoring him. I think the FO plan is hoping a year from now Ces improves to the point we extend him to become an intrical part on this team whether it be in the OF or at DH.

If he improves too much, he may be out of our price range.

Papi as a role model not running out grounders and show boating HRs may not be a perfect fit for Cespedes.

I'm going to do a complete rundown on today's trades once I do some more research, but my initial reaction is that I expected more for Lester and think we went a little too heavy on 2015 and not 2016 and beyond. Certainly, our future looks brighter, if we assume none of these guys were going to extend or re-sign anyways.

Sox4ever

I think Papi will take Ces under his wing and teach him plate discipline moon.  This alone and having no fear of any pitcher will help Ces, if not I will admit being wrong but I like the trade.  Nobody at this point may be out of our price range including Lester and very few teams in baseball have the luxury of vets/prospects and cash that a lot of teams would be interested in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AJP for nothing.

Peavy for Edwin Escobar & Heath Hembree

Lester for Yoenis Cespedes and a draft pick.

Lackey & Litrell for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly

Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez.

Drew for Kelly Johnson.

7 players from the 25 man roster gone!

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

AJP for nothing.

Drew for Kelly Johnson.

Sox4ever

They forgot Carp and Mujica.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

AJP for nothing.

Drew for Kelly Johnson.

Sox4ever

Carp could be a waiver deal.  They'll probably just keep Mujica and hope he miraculously improves...the remaining games don't matter anyway. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

AJP for nothing.

Drew for Kelly Johnson.

Sox4ever

Carp could be a waiver deal.  They'll probably just keep Mujica and hope he miraculously improves...the remaining games don't matter anyway.  

The return on Mujica would probably not be worth the chance he might turn things around by next year.

Carp's stock is low, but I think you are right. He will be gone on a waiver deal or by the rule 5 deadline.

Breslow may be gone by then too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

AJP for nothing.

Drew for Kelly Johnson.

Sox4ever

The return on Mujica would probably not be worth the chance he might turn things around by next year.

Carp's stock is low, but I think you are right. He will be gone on a waiver deal or by the rule 5 deadline.

Mujica, unfortunately, is signed through 2015 at an absurd salary of $9.5M per year. Thats why he is still here: no one in their right mind would pay him that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to bugmenot2's comment:

AJP for nothing.

Drew for Kelly Johnson.

Sox4ever

Mujica, unfortunately, is signed through 2015 at an absurd salary of $9.5M per year. Thats why he is still here: no one in their right mind would pay him that.

$9.5 over TWO years , 2014 and 2015 or $4,75 per year.

OOPS!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

AJP for nothing.

Drew for Kelly Johnson.

Sox4ever

The purge rivals the Miami Marlins' fire sale of 2012.

The Marlins traded away longer-term contracts and team control, but probably got a better returns as a result.

The Miami fire sale was a prudent but unpopular strategy and the recent Red Sox moves ultimately may be viewed in a similar vein.

I admire the Boston front office but am somewhat surprised the Sox cleaned house in light of persistent fan pressures. I suspect the Fenway Park ticket prices will fall on the secondary market the remainder of the 2014 season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

I cannot edit above... I wanted to ask you hill how Austin J helps the Mariners.... I see he had a pair of hits tonight... how does this help overall?

Despite their relative success this season the Seattle Mariners have been searching for a reliable leadoff hitter, ideally a righthanded hitter who capably plays centerfield.

Although he is no great shakes, Austin Jackson fits the bill and the Mariners gave up only infield prospect Nick Franklin, who was blocked by Robinson Cano, Brad Miller and Chris Taylor.

I am relieved that the Mariners did not trade away the farm in pursuit of their ever-fading postseason chances. Next year Seattle returns almost the entire roster, including the 27-year-old Jackson for one more season before free agency.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I was all for it. A lot of players who fit the Redsox mold at least in terms of being good producers ...for the money. Not top stars but good producers. Good values. One could quibble about specific deals, as in less than nothing for Drew except a salary dump, but overall Ben moved a lot of bodies and he got talent which was much more controllable going forward. It opens up the mlb team for some of the AAA starters to get some experience and they addressed their RH power needs quite well. They bought low and it certainly could have been worse ( they could have pulled a Toronto and done nothing!).

Cespedes was in the top 3 in pulling the ball to left field last year. He is going to play wall ball well. Plus considering the comparative ball park factors between Fenway and Oakland, we should anticipate a 20% improvement in his numbers overall. That is a lot. This guy is a potential 30-35 HR guy. And I think he is probably acceptable defensively in RF. This team should do a lot better going forward against LH pitching.

Craig gives us a potential bopper in LF also. This upgrades the offense a lot, particularly in Fenway. And both guys are relatively cheap given the projected numbers. Craig is under control until 2018.

We are stock piling arms big time in AA and AAA. Some of these guys are going to succeed and we will still be looking to sign a mlb starter next winter, according to Cherington.

Perhaps most of all though, it opens up SS for Bogaerts which certainly makes sense to me. Cherington brought it up today. They want to give Bogaerts PT at SS. I expect a resurgence in Bogaerts.

Eventually we are looking at:

Betts/Holt

Pedey / Betts

Bogaerts / Betts / Marrerro

Ortiz / Craig

Cespedes / Victorino / Nava

Napoli / Craig / Nava

Swihart / Vasquez

Middlebrooks / Holt / Betts

JBJ / Cespedes / Victorino

Maybe too RH dominant but these are mainly fulltime players, who are used to playing all the time.

Bring it on. I can't wait!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AJP for nothing:

Not much to say, except "addition by subtraction" and give the kids a chance to play.

Peavy for Edwin Escobar & Heath Hembree:   Excellent deal.

Hembree was 6th best Giants' prospect last year and Escobar was the 10th best. Here are some write-ups from MLB.com:

Hembree: He had a huge 2011 season that put him firmly on the "future closers" map and despite the hiccup in Fresno, he still should be there. He'll throw his power sinking fastball up to 97 mph and back it up with a hard slider that has cutter-like action. He'll mix in an occasional changeup for a different look, though it's not really an effective part of his arsenal.

Escobar: This solid and stocky southpaw had spent a little time in full-season ball in 2011, then hit it full-time in 2012, finishing fourth in the organization in ERA and third in WHIP. He'll run his fastball up to 94 mph with quick arm action, though he does throw across his body. He can sink and cut his fastball and throws an effective sinking changeup. His wide three-quarters curve has the chance to be an average pitch and shows occasional sharp bite. He understands how to mix his pitches well for a young hurler, which should bode well as he moves up the ladder.

Doubront for PTBNL (after Rule 5 deadline): Unknown.

The fact that we get a player after the rule 5 deadline should help us with a roster crunch.

Lester, Gomes & Cash for Yoenis Cespedes and a draft pick: Looks bad on the surface.  Cespedes can become a free agent after 2015 with no chance for a comp pick. I expected more. I expected longer term players.

Cespedes turns 29 this October. His .318 career OBP is not good, and it's been under .303 for the last 2 years. His .470 SLG% is decent. He's on pace for hitting over 23 Hrs for 3 straight years. I get the argument that Nava is better vs RHPs and Gomes is better vs LHPs, but Cespedes takes up just one roster spot and has the potential to do better than those two as a platoon. He's also a better fielder than both.

Competitive Balance Draft Pick: Nice to have, but I expected more.

Lackey, Litrell, and Cash for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly: Good deal. I was one who believed Lackey would play for just $500K next year, but I'm glad I don't need to find out. Litrell was not likely to be a high impact ML player.

Allen Craig: He just turned 30 and is under team control through 2018. His luxury tax salary counts as only $6.2M. His career UZR/150 numbers show he is about an average OF'er and 1Bman. His career .803 OPS is very good (.343 OBP/.460 SLG), but it has fallen steadily since 2011: .917>.876>.830>.638.

Joe Kelly just turned 26 and has not even reached arb yet. He has 3 arb years beginning in 2016. He has a 3.25 ERA in over 266 IP since coming up to the bigs in 2012. His 4.37 ERA this year in just 35 IP should not be held aginst him. This guy has very good upside potential. It's the type of player I hoped we'd be picking up at the deadline.

Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez: Hard to tell how this trade will work out, but getting nothing for Miller after this year seems worse than any prospect gained, and Rodrigues was rated highly before the season began. 

Eduardo Rodriguez: He is 21 and has struggled since being called up to AA last year, but he was rated the 85th best prospect in MLB in 2013. Here is what MLB.com had to say about him:

It's amazing what growth and maturity can do for a young player. Rodriguez looked like a finesse lefty when he started out his pro career. The Venezuelan's stuff was much better during his 2012 full-season debut, with a tailing fastball that should be above-average. His breaking ball is still a bit inconsistent, but it shows occasional sharp bite and his changeup has improved some as well. He's lean and lanky with some deception to his delivery. He generally throws strikes and if he can keep developing on this path, he has a future as a big league starter.

Drew for Kelly Johnson: this deal makes zero sense to me, except that it saves us money. Both are FAs after this year, so we basically got nothing for Drew, except some salary relief.

Overall, we picked up:

Yoenis Cespedes, Allen Craig, Joe Kelly, Heath Hembree, Edwin Escobar, Eduardo Rodriguez, a PTBNL (from the Cubs), and a 2015 Comp Pick from the A's.

We gave up nobody under team control beyond this year, except 1 year of Lackey, 3 arb years of Doubront, and several years of control for Litrell.

I seriously doubt we sign any of these players we traded this winter, but we can sign players like Max Scherzer, Jamie Shields, Nelson Cruz, Pablo Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, Michael Cuddyer or others. We also have a huge stockpile of prospects, some of which can be packaged for 1 or 2 high impact players.

That remains to be seen, but certainly our long term future looks brighter after these trades, if we assume none of these guys (excepta Lackey, Doubront & Litrell) were coming back next year had they not been traded. To me, arguing the merits of not extending Lester, Miller or others is a separate debate, although I can certainly understand those who feel like this cannot be separated from today's actions.

Finally, some here doubted so many deals could be orchestrated in such a short time. I'm sure Ben & Co. have been run ragged by the today, but we basically did what needed to be done, and set ourselves up for some blockbuster signings and deals this upcoming winter.

I'll update the luxury budget outlook and 40 man roster issues over the next few days.

I welcome your opinions and comments.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Every move the Sox make this point forward has to be to acquire veteran SPs...they decided none of Peavy, Lackey, Lester and Miller and Doubront was worth keeping. Yet they kept Clay, who has been as inconsistent as they come. They could have had Lackey for 500,000....idiotic move to deal him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It does present a problem regarding starting pitching next year, but we have a ton of cash coming off the books and we probably just solved our run scoring problems with Cespedes and Craig. Catching is looking not bad with Vasquez and eventually Swihart. They may even call Swihart up after a short while in AAA next spring. He is near ready from all indications. Mookie looks to me like a mlb player already. Middlebrooks might well be a decent 3rd baseman and Holt had a good year. Another year of improvement for JBJ and Victorino can't be hurt more than he was this year. My bet is Bogaerts starts turning things around soon.

I don't see how we contend with our existing starting pitching though. We are probably looking to rebuild but we have so many good prospects and so much young talent they may sneak into a wild card next fall. And we have the cash to fill a lot of holes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Cespedes.

my initial reaction is that I expected more for Lester and think we went a little too heavy on 2015 and not 2016 and beyond

I think marketing forces did lead to a middle ground approach, instead of stocking as many prospects as possible.  There is likely to be more action before ST, so I am hopeful.  IMO it would be better to write off 2015 or keep Lackey.  Think long-term no medium-term. 

Career vs RHP wRC+:   Nava  126   Ces  111

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

1.  we probably just solved our run scoring problems with Cespedes and Craig. 

2. I don't see how we contend with our existing starting pitching though. 

Hi Boom

1. It is not certain the inconsistent Ces and Craig will be an upgrade offensively, and if Ces is RF and Craig LF the D will suffer.

2. Spot on

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Cldn't they always flip Cespedes at next year's deadline?

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

I cannot edit above... I wanted to ask you hill how Austin J helps the Mariners.... I see he had a pair of hits tonight... how does this help overall?

When I saw this trade go down, the first think I thought of was why didn't we give Seattle Cespedes and get some of those juicy prospects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is not certain the inconsistent Ces and Craig will be an upgrade offensively, and if Ces is RF and Craig LF the D will suffer.

Craig is no worse on D in LF than the Nava/Gomes platoon.

Cespedes is no worse than Holt in RF.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Cldn't they always flip Cespedes at next year's deadline?

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

Or, this winter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Hey Tom! My kid is going to college in your area in October. Take care of him over there OK! Don't let him get on that big Ferris Wheel!

So far this year we have one of the worst OF offenses in baseball. Anything is an improvement. Plus I like what I see recently from JBJ and the Mookster.

But overall here is where I'm coming from on Cespedes ( copied from a post I made on another forum today ):

"A quick review by me came up with Cespedes as a little better BA than Napoli and more pop, fewer walks. Factor the fly ball rate (over 50% or Very high ) and the foul balls ( foul ball outs in Oakland's park ) plus the closer fence in Fenway's LF and the fact that he is a definite pull hitter ( 3rd highest pull rate in the AL ). The guy is a perfect storm in Fenway. And Napoli is overperforming a little right now. Cespedes is 4 years younger, healthier. My bet is on Cespede's bat going forward."

I think Cespedes is probably a 30-35 HR guy for us.

Sections
Shortcuts