A-Rod...how I love the debacle in the Bronx

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

A-Rod...how I love the debacle in the Bronx

I LOVE THE FACT THAT THE YANKEES ALLOWED A-ROD TO WEAR AND PLAY IN PINSTRIPES DURING HIS APPEAL.  such a disgrace.  17 short years ago it was the model organization....it now has turned into a joke. 

Rob Manfred, MLB's chief operating officer and the favorite to be the next commissioner, called Rodriguez's career "sad" and "tarnished."

"This latest, sad chapter in Mr. Rodriguez's tarnished career is yet another example of this player trying to avoid taking responsibility for his poor choices," Manfred said. "Given the disappointing acts that Mr. Rodriguez has repeatedly made throughout his career, his expressed concern for young people rings very hollow. Mr. Rodriguez's use of PEDs was longer and more pervasive than any other player, and when this process is complete, the facts will prove it is Mr. Rodriguez and his representatives who have engaged in ongoing, gross misconduct."

Joe Tacopina, Rodriguez's lead attorney, called for Manfred's ouster from the case.

"Rob Manfred has gone so far over the line with his latest slanderous attack against Alex (which presumably was approved by Commissioner Selig) that we demand the other two arbitration panel members immediately remove Manfred from the panel hearing Alex's appeal," Tacopina said in a statement. "Indeed, we do not see how he can continue to hold any position of responsibility within Major League Baseball. But we will leave that to the conscience and judgment of the owners within the league."

Just over an hour later, MLB issued a statement in response to Tacopina's criticism through spokesperson Pat Courtney.

"Mr. Tacopina's latest rant is so delusional it doesn't warrant a response," the statement said. "The fact that Mr. Tacopina has now asked for two of the three panel members to be recused tells you everything you need to know."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: A-Rod...how I love the debacle in the Bronx

The whole league has turned a blind eye to PED use. The whole league should be ashamed.

The fact that players are still getting caught, like Perhalta, Melky Cabrera and Cruz means they still are doing a poor job of policing this problem.

I don't see this as a Yankee issue, it is an MLB issue.

Singling out the Yankees is just wrong.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Out best player is celebrating ANOTHER World Series victory while their best player was fighting against MLB in court.  That about sums up how far the tables have turned. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Out best player is celebrating ANOTHER World Series victory while their best player was fighting against MLB in court.  That about sums up how far the tables have turned. 

Pretty much; I'm also not thrilled about how Jeter did not take a discount for next yr; a 190 BA and lousy defense in about 10 Games doesn't buy what it used to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much; I'm also not thrilled about how Jeter did not take a discount for next yr; a 190 BA and lousy defense in about 10 Games doesn't buy what it used to.

[/QUOTE]

I found that a bit funny too NH. They had him for like 9M, didnt they?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They did that because it actually REDUCED his AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY which in turn helps then keep under the 189 luxury tax threshold by a mere couple million.  It shows you just how sad and desperate they have become. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, because if he exercised his option, the whole contract would have been averaged out, and that would have resulted in 14M against the cap. The guy's made 1/4 Billion; he could have given the team a break this yr, or at least made it incentive laden. What if he can't play at all? Apparently what happened with Youkilis and others hasn't taught those nitwits a lesson.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

it seems that way

but I think the verdict is still out on that

we can post several reads on how they saved money against the tax this way

and just as many saying they didn't

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

After flubbing on their own C Martin, the NYY will be stupid enough to go after McCann, who's not worth it. They'll likely go after that Japanese pheenom too, but that's understandable. And no matter what they say, the luxury cap in 2014 is top priority. However, you should be able to field a competitive team for 189 Mil. If you can't, that's pathetic. Of course, having a slew of abominable contracts ...

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

After flubbing on their own C Martin, the NYY will be stupid enough to go after McCann, who's not worth it. They'll likely go after that Japanese pheenom too, but that's understandable. And no matter what they say, the luxury cap in 2014 is top priority. However, you should be able to field a competitive team for 189 Mil. If you can't, that's pathetic. Of course, having a slew of abominable contracts ...

[/QUOTE]

Well, if you can't field a competitive team for 189 mil, then what in the world does it say about the $235 million flop you we all had the pleasure of watching this year while the 150 million team won a THIRD World Series in 10 years???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What does the City of Detroit, N Y Yankees, and the U S Government have in common ????????????????????????????????   ANSWER:     TOOOO many A-RODS on the PAYROLL !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Who is the political bimbo on this sports board? That's easy.

[/QUOTE]No game today ........   Just killing time till the HOT STOVE gets going this week !!!!    BIMBO ?????   I beg your pardon, young man !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

We should all hope he wins his appeal, or at least hope it drags on into next season so NY has to keep paying him, and he keeps being a distraction.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, if you can't field a competitive team for 189 mil, then what in the world does it say about the $235 million flop you we all had the pleasure of watching this year while the 150 million team won a THIRD World Series in 10 years???

[/QUOTE]

That you're good at cherry picking for the express purpose of trolling?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Alex Rodriguez, who is appealing a 211-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's drug policy, failed a drug test for stimulants in 2006, according to a report in The New York Times.

The report stated that the finding came from two people involved with the league's collectively bargained drug-testing program. According to the report, the New York Yankees third baseman was not publicly identified for the positive test because players face suspensions for banned stimulants only if they fail a test more than once.

The report was met with a strong denial from one of Rodriguez's lawyers.

"Alex Rodriguez was never suspended for use of stimulants. He has passed all tests under the MLB drug program," James C. McCarroll said in a statement. "The fact that MLB has resorted to leaking federally protected medical information about a player speaks volumes of the weakness of their case against Alex -- and their desperation to secure a win in the arbitration, at all costs."

Another representative of Rodriguez's legal team, Lanny J. Davis, released a statement on Monday that read, in part:

"The ethically questionable and possibly illegal misconduct of Major League Baseball in its investigation of Alex Rodriguez -- such as the knowing purchase of stolen documents for $125,000 in cash in a satchel in a Florida restaurant and putting in a good word with prosecutors for someone reportedly under federal and state investigation for distributing drugs to teenagers in the name of getting Alex Rodriguez -- is not just unseemly, it is shameful.

"I believe a federal investigation of this misconduct is needed -- and specifically, of the commissioner of baseball and the extent of his involvement and knowledge of the professional misconduct by investigators he hired, as reported by The New York Times."

It is unknown if MLB used the failed test as part of its evidence against Rodriguez during its side of the current hearing, according to the Times. Rodriguez's appeal of his suspension is on hiatus until Nov. 18, at which time his side will present its defense. The league wrapped up its side of the proceedings in October.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree with you all that we all hope that this case can last thru the winter where the Yankees will have a harder time to see whether they can sign couple extra talent free agency players if A-Rod is suspended for good or for the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I LOVE THE FACT THAT THE YANKEES ALLOWED A-ROD TO WEAR AND PLAY IN PINSTRIPES DURING HIS APPEAL.  such a disgrace.  17 short years ago it was the model organization....it now has turned into a joke. 

Rob Manfred, MLB's chief operating officer and the favorite to be the next commissioner, called Rodriguez's career "sad" and "tarnished."

"This latest, sad chapter in Mr. Rodriguez's tarnished career is yet another example of this player trying to avoid taking responsibility for his poor choices," Manfred said. "Given the disappointing acts that Mr. Rodriguez has repeatedly made throughout his career, his expressed concern for young people rings very hollow. Mr. Rodriguez's use of PEDs was longer and more pervasive than any other player, and when this process is complete, the facts will prove it is Mr. Rodriguez and his representatives who have engaged in ongoing, gross misconduct."

Joe Tacopina, Rodriguez's lead attorney, called for Manfred's ouster from the case.

"Rob Manfred has gone so far over the line with his latest slanderous attack against Alex (which presumably was approved by Commissioner Selig) that we demand the other two arbitration panel members immediately remove Manfred from the panel hearing Alex's appeal," Tacopina said in a statement. "Indeed, we do not see how he can continue to hold any position of responsibility within Major League Baseball. But we will leave that to the conscience and judgment of the owners within the league."

Just over an hour later, MLB issued a statement in response to Tacopina's criticism through spokesperson Pat Courtney.

"Mr. Tacopina's latest rant is so delusional it doesn't warrant a response," the statement said. "The fact that Mr. Tacopina has now asked for two of the three panel members to be recused tells you everything you need to know."

[/QUOTE]

In fairness, it's been a joke for a long time.  George Steinbrenner was a convicted felon - 17 counts.......He was also banned from baseball - FOR LIFE - not once but TWICE.  He also paid off a mobster $40K to dig dirt on his star player so he could void his contract.  He also hired Steve Howe after he was suspsended from baseball for cocaine use not once not twice not three times not four time but five times and then proceeded to get suspended two more times...It just goes on and on with that organization....and no they don't have Rivera to bail them out and win some big games for them to make people look in another direction.  It will get worse, no doubt but it's always been a disgrace - and its not just ARod...look at the love they give PEDittee too......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That you're good at cherry picking for the express purpose of trolling?

[/QUOTE]

Cherry picking?  Pathetic.  I am looking at exactly what happened THIS year.

235 million dollar team flopped and the 151 million dollar team won it all

Tough pill to swallow I know so I'll forgive your rude rebuttal that's sure to come

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said the drawn-out Alex Rodriguez appeal hearing is complicating offseason plans because the team doesn't know whether the third baseman's 211-game suspension will be upheld or not.

"I think it complicates," Girardi said at Yankee Stadium on Thursday.

While the Yankees are attempting to lower their payroll to $189 million to drop their luxury tax, they have devised a plan that could see them spending in excess of $300 million. Sources have told ESPN New York that the Yankees' top priorities are re-signing Robinson Cano, winning the bidding for Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka and signing free agent Brian McCann.

The Yankees have offered Curtis Granderson the $14.1 million qualifying offer, which he has until Monday's 5 p.m. deadline to accept. If he does not, the Yankees could be major players for Carlos Beltran. Shin-Soo Choo could also emerge as a possibility if the Yankees' initial plans do not work out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Lawyers for Alex Rodriguez presented the grounds for their lawsuit against Major League Baseball before a federal judge in Manhattan on Thursday, citing former NBA bad boy Latrell Sprewell as the role model for their case.

In addition to restating many of the arguments in the tortious interference suit filed Oct. 3 in New York State Supreme Court -- that MLB investigators paid, harassed and threatened witnesses in "trying to take down the biggest name in the game" -- attorney Jordan Siev said baseball and commissioner Bud Selig "went way over the line" in attempting to "destroy Rodriguez's career and reputation at all costs."

"We think their conduct is tortious and potentially criminal," Siev said.

And in response to the contention of Joseph Baumgartner, an MLB attorney, that a court was not the "appropriate forum" to contest these issues since baseball contends they are covered by its collective bargaining agreement, Siev cited as precedent a lawsuit brought in 1998 by Sprewell against the NBA, which voided his contract with the Golden State Warriors after a physical altercation with coach P.J. Carlesimo.

That case was allowed to proceed but was ultimately dismissed by a federal judge, who also required Sprewell to pay the league's court costs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In fairness, it's been a joke for a long time.  George Steinbrenner was a convicted felon - 17 counts.......He was also banned from baseball - FOR LIFE - not once but TWICE.  He also paid off a mobster $40K to dig dirt on his star player so he could void his contract.  He also hired Steve Howe after he was suspsended from baseball for cocaine use not once not twice not three times not four time but five times and then proceeded to get suspended two more times...It just goes on and on with that organization....and no they don't have Rivera to bail them out and win some big games for them to make people look in another direction.  It will get worse, no doubt but it's always been a disgrace - and its not just ARod...look at the love they give PEDittee too......

[/QUOTE]

How do you get banned from baseball twice? Was there a Yankee rule where the first time didn't really count? That I would believe.

Sections
Shortcuts