A-ROD:"More than one party benefits with me gone,its not my teammates+not YANKEE fans!"..what does he mean, how could this play out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: A-ROD:

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

sounds like a full frontal assault on the yankee brand. shows how PR clueless this guy can be. at least he's reading the tea leawes. must b horrible when u know ur hated by your bosses but hawe to go thru the motions. clearly he will get the death penalty on sunday.. then he will appeal the dead man walking clause and get to play? wow! wonder if yanks will simultaneously announce they are going after his $ at the same time?puts girardii and team unity in a baddd place. poor jeter..likely will be out there on Monday.. perhaps yanks can do what happens in football and send him home with pay as the legal process plays out.  frankly, thats what i would do!

also for a-fraud he's playin with house $ in many ways. he's guaranteed $40m from rangers in deferred payments with INTEREST til 2020 or so. so this is solely about 60m. if he's out for a year and a half, thats about half of that gone. so what does he hawe to lose? lifetime ban basically means he's out of all that $. may as well fight. not well played by bud.

perhaps u say 2 and a half year ban if no deal, but one and a half with a deal. he can go to mexico or japan for that period r play in th eindys at some point to stay fresh. clearly any deal would preclude the yanks from going after his $. perhaps thi si the sticking point. yanks dont want to make that guarantee! either way welcome to the BRONX ZOO redux!

ARod and Manny have a lot in common.  Both took PED'S, were on top of world and began to burn bridges by blaming others for their mistakes, now it's all crashing down on them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

MLB tells union A-Rod deal is off the table; Yankees star expected to be suspended until 2015

Alex Rodriguez struck out even before he got on the field Saturday.

Sources told The Post that Players Association executive director Michael Weiner reached out to Major League Baseball Saturday to discuss a possible settlement in the Biogenesis investigation and baseball told them that was no longer on the table.

Without a settlement, baseball is expected to suspend Rodriguez for the rest of this season and all of 2014, although commissioner Bud Selig still could look to pursue a lifetime ban.

On Saturday, Rodriguez’s camp refused comment.

Rodriguez has infuriated MLB and the Yankees throughout the Biogenesis investigation and did so again after Friday night’s game in Trenton, when he all but accused the league and the Yankees with conspiring against him to void the remainder of his contract.

In MLB’s eyes, Rodriguez has had more than enough time to cooperate with the investigation, and the league wasn’t interested in reopening discussions now that the expected deadline for suspensions is so close.

The third baseman and his camp also are believed to have contacted the Yankees on Saturday about the possibility of working out a deal on the remainder of his contract, which runs through 2017 and still is worth nearly $100 million. They were rejected on that front, as well.

Rodriguez has vowed to fight any suspension, and if he is penalized under the Joint Drug Agreement, he would be allowed to play for the Yankees while he awaited his hearing. If Selig used the “best interests of baseball” clause in the Basic Agreement based on MLB’s belief he obstructed the investigation by lying to them, he would have to sit out while he awaits his fate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Arod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7cgxqVR9Vo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Best case for Red Sox is that Arod is not suspended and the Yanks are forced to honor his deal as he fades to black in his twilight years making in excess of 25M. Most likely senerio is that he's given a 50 game suspension and misses the rest of this season without pay.

It is the moral delimma of our time.  True BB fans would want him tossed out for life.  True BB fans can easily say that all parties, including the NYY, must be punished.  All NYY haters will enjoy it either way.

While I get that many argue that the Yankees entered into their current deal with him not knowing that he was an abuser of steriods. As such, should not have to carry the burden of his salary moving forward.

Think of it as if you were on a jury, and the key question was 'did the NYY know, or did the NYY have strong reasons to suspect, and turned a blind eye?'.  Then ARod's lawyer brings in a parade of guys hired by the NYY that had a PEDs past.  Then makes the case that the NYY were the center of the steroid world, not ARod.

I don't think anyone outside NYC will think that the NYY were some naive execs duped by ARod.  And for the money involved, it'll be scorched earth time.

A bit of an embellishment Joe.

The Yankees as far as I know didn't bring in people that they actually knew were using.

A few of the players they had were outed as was the entire PED ball of wax came apart when they played for the Yankees. Like Sheffield, Giambi and Clemens.

Seriously who suspected Clemens until those stories broke. Giambi was coming off an MVP when the Yankees signed him. The only reason the Yankees acquired Arod is because a deal in place with the Red Sox fell apart.

Any team in that era who went anywhere in the post season had an assortment of users on their roster including the Boston red Sox.

Giambi hit 63 HR in a stretch of 600 ABs from the end 2005 and the beginning of 2006.  At that point, if you don't believe, then you'll never believe.

Since Giambi's 2 yr numbers were 69 HRs in 863 ABs, I believe you're exaggerating just a little. Ironically, Ortiz had 101 HRs for the same 2 seasons, and in a much more difficult park for Lefty power guys. Those 101 Hrs were in 1159 ABs, spanning more than his first 7 seasons combined, which was 89 HRs in 1925 ABs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to torgorocks' comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

sounds like a full frontal assault on the yankee brand. shows how PR clueless this guy can be. at least he's reading the tea leawes. must b horrible when u know ur hated by your bosses but hawe to go thru the motions. clearly he will get the death penalty on sunday.. then he will appeal the dead man walking clause and get to play? wow! wonder if yanks will simultaneously announce they are going after his $ at the same time?puts girardii and team unity in a baddd place. poor jeter..likely will be out there on Monday.. perhaps yanks can do what happens in football and send him home with pay as the legal process plays out.  frankly, thats what i would do!

also for a-fraud he's playin with house $ in many ways. he's guaranteed $40m from rangers in deferred payments with INTEREST til 2020 or so. so this is solely about 60m. if he's out for a year and a half, thats about half of that gone. so what does he hawe to lose? lifetime ban basically means he's out of all that $. may as well fight. not well played by bud.

perhaps u say 2 and a half year ban if no deal, but one and a half with a deal. he can go to mexico or japan for that period r play in th eindys at some point to stay fresh. clearly any deal would preclude the yanks from going after his $. perhaps thi si the sticking point. yanks dont want to make that guarantee! either way welcome to the BRONX ZOO redux!

Best case for Red Sox is that Arod is not suspended and the Yanks are forced to honor his deal as he fades to black in his twilight years making in excess of 25M. Most likely senerio is that he's given a 50 game suspension and misses the rest of this season without pay.

While I get that many argue that the Yankees entered into their current deal with him not knowing that he was an abuser of steriods. As such, should not have to carry the burden of his salary moving forward. I struggle with that contention. It takes me back to a couple of questions that today are still unanswered...

When did Major league baseballs leadership discover that steroid use had become the norm and who condoned it. I can't buy into the idea that the owners and general managers of every ball club  who's job is to ensure that they do their due diligence on every employee they hire somehow were duped. End of the day, they all turned a blind eye as the cash registers started to go off like slot machines and today are now hiding behind the commissioner as someone who is now seen as being the voice of reason and the pillar of the community...the same guy that allowed this scourge to infest the game on his watch...

Personnaly, while I am not going to paint myself as someone that is the champion of ethics...I also think that the players are now seen as the culprits when in fact Selig and Fehr are both chiefly responsible for what is now know as the "steroid era"

Great post! Bud Selig is the George W. Bush of baseball.

I'm sure, as far as spending goes, you meant to say Obama...the person who has spent more than any other administration combined.

Combined? Wow!

And yet, the Budget Statistics claim the rate of spending has been declining during his Admin while Bush took a Budget Surplus and turned it into record red ink. Who would have thought?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

While I get that many argue that the Yankees entered into their current deal with him not knowing that he was an abuser of steriods. As such, should not have to carry the burden of his salary moving forward. I struggle with that contention. It takes me back to a couple of questions that today are still unanswered...

greetings BT

When did Major league baseballs leadership discover that steroid use had become the norm and who condoned it. I can't buy into the idea that the owners and general managers of every ball club  who's job is to ensure that they do their due diligence on every employee they hire somehow were duped. End of the day, they all turned a blind eye as the cash registers started to go off like slot machines

while money is always going to be a factor in a biz

I dissagree with the premiss of your question

I don't think not wanting another strike while still recovering from the last one

is condoning something

and today are now hiding behind the commissioner as someone who is now seen as being the voice of reason and the pillar of the community...the same guy that allowed this scourge to infest the game on his watch...

while I admit you have a right to look at it that way

what's the point

just because he didn't move fast enough

he shouldn't now ?

is it fair to knock him for both  not moving & moving

IMO he had to take the baby steps

he had no magic wand to make things good

without making them ugly first

BB was not in the position it is today when it comes to taking such a hit

nor was plublic opinion/ support as strongly behind  him as it is today

Personnaly, while I am not going to paint myself as someone that is the champion of ethics...I also think that the players are now seen as the culprits when in fact Selig and Fehr are both chiefly responsible for what is now know as the "steroid era"

fehr - yes

bud-hardly

his hands were tied by the union

IMO the blame for the "steroid era"

is on the players both the clean ones & users

IMO the difference today is the  non users aren't

sitting quietly and are now are pressuring the union

to help bud rather than fight him

what do U say BT

deja vu all over again ;-)

Zac,

Sorry but I don't buy plausible denieablity as a defense for Selig, the owners or Fehr.  Each of them were a party to allowing the use to escalate under their watch. All of them benefitted financially from the boon in attendence and the rise in the popularity of the game while we the fans were led down path trusting the game to police itself. It's now 2013 almost ten years since the lid was blown off with the release of the michell report and more than 20 years since the steroid era began in earnest. your defense of Selig IMHO citing the players union as the obstacle that stood between he and cleaning up the game is laughable. It took an act of congress just to get him to stand up and take a stand. Two decades later we're still playing cat and mouse...It's a joke...

As for Arod and his contract. Fact of the matter is that in 2007 when the Yankees extended Arod they had more that enough circumstantiall evidence to give them pause in signing him to a 10 year deal. Given the overwhelming statistical evidence of players in thier late 30 before and during the time frame now know as the steriod era. instead they championed him as the poster boy for doing it clean and incentivized him with bonuses based on achieving certain milestones on his accent to overtake Bonds...come on man are we rally that gullible? 

Tell me how Melky Cabrera is suspended for use released by the Giants and signs another deal to play big league ball? Is that not condoning the use? End of the day if Major League Baseball wants to end this scourge they have to hit the teams and the players with stiffer penalties. starting with all players must submit to a drug test before signing thief contracts if after signing the contract the player test positive. The players contracts should be voided after one positive test and carry a minimum 2 year ban. The team should lose a 1st round draft pick and or the players roster spot for the remainder of the season...trust me it wouldn't take long to clean it up....

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Hal gets to pocket Arod's salary for the balance of this year and next, with Arod collecting 2015-2017.

That's my take and it's not a big deal for either party.

A lifetime ban is what ny needed to plan for their future and get back on track.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

Hal gets to pocket Arod's salary for the balance of this year and next, with Arod collecting 2015-2017.

That's my take and it's not a big deal for either party.

A lifetime ban is what ny needed to plan for their future and get back on track.

Actually, that's only partly true. Their goal was to get under the luxury tax threshold of 189 Mil for 2014 only, setting themselves up for yrs to come. Should the suspension go down as rumored, it would free up appx 25 Mil for that pivotal yr.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Arod if suspended 214 games will still be due the 61 m from the Yankees for seasons 2015-2017.

News this past week could jeopardize those payments.

The federal govt. has opened a probe into Biogenesis for sale of steroids to teenagers.

If Arod is supoenaed to testify in this investigation he will be subject to purjery if he denies whatever he is asked thus opening up the records Selig has regarding Arod's dealings with Bosch and Biogenesis.

The Yankees would then have grounds to sue Arod for the remaining years of his contract.

This is a mess. Arod is flying to Chicago I hope he bought a 2 way ticket.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Arod if suspended 214 games will still be due the 61 m from the Yankees for seasons 2015-2017.

News this past week could jeopardize those payments.

The federal govt. has opened a probe into Biogenesis for sale of steroids to teenagers.

If Arod is supoenaed to testify in this investigation he will be subject to purjery if he denies whatever he is asked thus opening up the records Selig has regarding Arod's dealings with Bosch and Biogenesis.

The Yankees would then have grounds to sue Arod for the remaining years of his contract.

This is a mess. Arod is flying to Chicago I hope he bought a 2 way ticket.

Either way, he won't be on the return Yankee charterTongue Out

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

How about his anti-PEDs stance on Friday? Unbelievable. Of course, Bonds said this too. They're friends, and deserve each other. Of course, they're living better than practically everybody; what a message that sends. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Heyman was just on the fan. He said that Arod will appeal and if he is healthy he will be in the Yanks lineup tomorrow night. He said that the players association has been very helpful working with Selig and it doesn’t appear that Selig will invoke the “best interest clause” to stop him.

If Heyman is correct  that Arod plays during an appeal that would mean MLB has hit him with a lifetime ban.

Alex’s option is play while appealing a lifetime ban or accept a settlement of 214 games and sit your butt down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I pray to God he chooses the life time ban v the 214 game suspension.

Let the drama queen appeal then come to the Bronx where the fans will boo him out of the stadium.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I pray to God he chooses the life time ban v the 214 game suspension.

Let the drama queen appeal then come to the Bronx where the fans will boo him out of the stadium.

The boos wouldnt matter to him; he would feel he was wronged. It's always somebody else's fault.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Since Giambi's 2 yr numbers were 69 HRs in 863 ABs, I believe you're exaggerating just a little. Ironically, Ortiz had 101 HRs for the same 2 seasons, and in a much more difficult park for Lefty power guys. Those 101 Hrs were in 1159 ABs, spanning more than his first 7 seasons combined, which was 89 HRs in 1925 ABs. 

No, that part makes it even transparent.

He stopped hitting at the end of 2003.  Between the start of 2004 through the middle of June, 2005, he had a .215 average, with 16 HRs in 404 ABs,and a .716 OPS.  That's almost 1.5 years.

In his next 606 ABs, he hits 60 HRs, with a .273 average and a 1.052 OPS.

So basically, at the age of 35, Giambi turned into Babe Ruth.

Like I have always said, for the true believer, there is really no discussion or fact patterns.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

He stopped hitting at the end of 2003.  Between the start of 2004 through the middle of June, 2005, he had a .215 average, with 16 HRs in 404 ABs,and a .716 OPS.  That's almost 1.5 years.

Like I have always said, for the true believer, there is really no discussion or fact patterns.

Beside the point you're so fos on this entire matter.

I remember when Bonds and the rest were outed before the truth about Arod was known when it was being celebrated by everyone that eventually the homerun records would belong to a clean non cheat meaning Arod.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Although there is a vein of truth to the Giambi side of the ledger (assuming no injury was involved, and I believe there was), an admitted PEDer later on, the context is exaggerated & ridiculous, especially taking into account the Ortiz #s as stated. Your silence on that part of the conversation is deafening.  Speaking of, what was he in the beginning? Pete Rose?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Although there is a vein of truth to the Giambi side of the ledger (assuming no injury was involved, and I believe there was), an admitted PEDer later on, the context is exaggerated & ridiculous, especially taking into account the Oakland yrs and the Ortiz #s as stated. Your silence on that part of the conversation is deafening.  Speaking of, what was he in the beginning? Pete Rose?

It is my take that the NYY would not succeed in court because they either knew, or should have known, that ARod was on PEDs.  Ortiz likely would not be part of that conversation in court.  ARod's attorneys would put the NYY on trial.

And they would win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Although there is a vein of truth to the Giambi side of the ledger (assuming no injury was involved, and I believe there was), an admitted PEDer later on, the context is exaggerated & ridiculous, especially taking into account the Oakland yrs and the Ortiz #s as stated. Your silence on that part of the conversation is deafening.  Speaking of, what was he in the beginning? Pete Rose?

It is my take that the NYY would not succeed in court because they either knew, or should have known, that ARod was on PEDs.  Ortiz likely would not be part of that conversation in court.  ARod's attorneys would put the NYY on trial.

And they would win.

I get it now, the Ortiz situation has little to nothing to do with this.  

Regardless, it would be more realistic if you said I believe they would win.

That is, unless you have a crystal ball. Since this appears to be headed to be dragged into court, we shall see. You may be right; but I still think it's a reach, or ARod's side would have tried harder to not settle. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on your part.

And no legal expert with media exposure on this matter as of yet has hinted at this possibility.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Beside the point you're so fos on this entire matter.

I remember when Bonds and the rest were outed before the truth about Arod was known when it was being celebrated by everyone that eventually the homerun records would belong to a clean non cheat meaning Arod.

That does throw alot of bath water on his theory.  Unless they were taking the public as fools; but Hank is not smart enough to concoct such a scheme.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I get it now, the Ortiz situation has little to nothing to do with this.  

Regardless, it would be more realistic if you said I believe they would win.

That is, unless you have a crystal ball. Since this appears to be headed to be dragged into court, we shall see. You may be right; but I still think it's a reach, or ARod's side would have tried harder to not settle. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on your part.

And no legal expert with media exposure on this matter as of yet has hinted at this possibility.

For all things going on in the future, it is implied that it is 'in my opinion' or 'I believe'.

IRT ARod, depending on the length of the suspension, I beleive he either has not shot, or is a near certainty to win.

For a shorter suspension, MLB would refer to the CBA and claim they acted within the letter and spirit of the law.  And they would call into court the counterparty to the agreement, the union, who would testify that MLB acted within the letter and spirit of the agreement, and that should end it.

If MLB attempted a lifetime ban, without paying him, his attorney would argue that he did not do anything that no one else did.  That MLB benefitted from the PED use, and that his employer did as well.  And that everyone that was party to the transaction umderstood that he was likely a PEDs user and looked the other way, as it was in their best interest to do so.  What I would refer to as 'that boat has already sailed' defense.

As always, it would be in everyone's best interest to settle.  ARod's ego would not be able to accommodate that.