A salute to the brilliant drafting by Amiel Sawdaye and Ben Cherington!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: A salute to the brilliant drafting by Amiel Sawdaye and Ben Cherington!

Drake Britton had a CG shutout on tewsday as well in his last start.

Lots of things to be excited about as far as prospects in RSN.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

And now with Bogaerts screaming up the farm channel as well. Sawdaye is terrific with the draft IMO and Cherington has been solid as a GM. Got to give them credit. This isn't easy.

Signing Denney for $875,000 was huge. That opens up the opportunity to sign several more overslot guys. This year's draft is shaping up to be one of the best in baseball this year. They are managing it very well. We got possibly the top high school pitcher in the draft ( he was rated #2 by most ) and maybe the top HS catcher as well. And our 2nd round pick is signed underslot and is reputed to be a good find. And assuming we sign Ball for around $3 mil, we still have about $1.5 mil mil to spend for more overslot guys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Higbee,

Our little Friday morning discussion group was talking about exactly what you posted just this morning.  The Sox drafting and trading of recent years has added some nice looking pitching prospects.

If this year's draft brings a couple of more such pitchers we will really stand in further agreement with your post.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

http://wiki.soxprospects.com/Rule+5+Eligible+Players

The Rule 5  Sox Prospects that could be up for grabs --you should view some of the many names of players  that will have to be added to the 40 before the Rule 5 draft in Nov. 2013.

This link includes the names over the next few years and the rules for the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Higbee's comment:

Congratulations to these two men who have strengthened and area so sorely needed for a team that plays half their games in the hitter friendly confines of Fenway Park.

Over the last four years, the Red Sox have amassed an impressive stable of big-framed pitchers, a collection of arms capable of handling the significant workload of pitching first an entire minor-league season and then, later, an entire major-league season.

In the four years since Sawdaye took over for the departed Jason McLeod, the Red Sox have made 15 selections in the first or second round — and nine of those selections have been pitchers. Anthony Ranaudo, Brandon Workman, Matt Barnes and Henry Owens all came out of the 2010 or 2011 drafts.

A team that plays its home games at Fenway Park doesn’t necessarily have to look hard for offense. Mediocre hitters elsewhere — especially right-handed hitters — see their numbers go up with the benefit of the Green Monster.

Rather than spending $80 million on the likes of John Lackey, pitchers who might or might not work out, anyway, it makes sense for the Red Sox to do whatever they can to develop their own pitchers — pitchers who will grow up being trained for the American League East gauntlet.

Ranaudo, Workman, Barnes and Owens all look like they have a chance to be impact major-leaguers — as do Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster. None of the aforementioned pitchers is older than 24.

When Ben talks about building “the next great Red Sox team,” this avid Red Sox fan truly believes it's not too far away.

If one buys into the age old adage of the key to winning is "Pitching, defense and timely hitting". then it's probably not a bad idea to stockpile as many young arms in your system as you can. Given the need for depth having two or three arms at the ready to be called up at moments notice will help to eliminate over using the pen during stretches when they have to play multiple games in short stretches. Which will serve them well when the dog day of August are upon them. 

That said, you also need to have balance and based on our current big league club and those that are in our system. The most glaring need we have is impact middle of the order bats...something that will likely have to be addressed in free agency or trades. 

Given the success of the club this year, when weighed against the state of the club when he took the reins over from the legend that was Epstein. I grade the overall job done by Cherington as an A. We shall see if over the next two or three seasons if his master plan leads to the fielding of a championship club. One that is in the mix over an extended period of multiple seaons. Which is the expectation of a GM that has the resources at hand as does Cherington. End of the day it's World Series or bust while delivering on the bottom line expected by the shareholders...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I 've been a Red Sox fan since 75 and I don't remember them ever having this many young arms in the minors. I like the idea of amasing as many quality arms as possible through the draft or trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

IMVHO, pitching is difficult to trade for or sign.  You can mostly always build a LF or a 1B by signing a few guys like Gomes and Napoli  and pairing them with a couple of lefties like Nava and Carp.  And if you don't have a SS, and no premier SS's are available for trade or signing, you can always go cheap for excellent defense.  How many pitchers burn after signing?  It seems like a lot of faiure, unless you sign the really expensive guys.

Plus, I think you have more options for failed pitching prospects.  Lot of guys don't develop as starters, but having guys like Tazawa, Wilson, Bard (while it lasted), giving you 60-70 quality innings, at minimum wage, is hugely inportant.  Failed hitting prospects don't usually give you that type of backup options.

I'm a best athlete available type of guy, but I usually hope the best athlete available is a pitcher.  And the whole system is starting to dominate, imho.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Higbee's comment:

Congratulations to these two men who have strengthened and area so sorely needed for a team that plays half their games in the hitter friendly confines of Fenway Park.

Over the last four years, the Red Sox have amassed an impressive stable of big-framed pitchers, a collection of arms capable of handling the significant workload of pitching first an entire minor-league season and then, later, an entire major-league season.

In the four years since Sawdaye took over for the departed Jason McLeod, the Red Sox have made 15 selections in the first or second round — and nine of those selections have been pitchers. Anthony Ranaudo, Brandon Workman, Matt Barnes and Henry Owens all came out of the 2010 or 2011 drafts.

A team that plays its home games at Fenway Park doesn’t necessarily have to look hard for offense. Mediocre hitters elsewhere — especially right-handed hitters — see their numbers go up with the benefit of the Green Monster.

Rather than spending $80 million on the likes of John Lackey, pitchers who might or might not work out, anyway, it makes sense for the Red Sox to do whatever they can to develop their own pitchers — pitchers who will grow up being trained for the American League East gauntlet.

Ranaudo, Workman, Barnes and Owens all look like they have a chance to be impact major-leaguers — as do Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster. None of the aforementioned pitchers is older than 24.

When Ben talks about building “the next great Red Sox team,” this avid Red Sox fan truly believes it's not too far away.

Because I am in the realist camp I also believe that our minor league system is going to blossom over the next couple of years. There is a ton of talent down there and while some of them will flunk out, some will also succeed in a big way. The challenge is to keep up the supply once the current crop of minor leaguers arrive. We will likely not contend for a ring this year, but in 2015 we should have the team to do it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Because I am in the realist camp I also believe that our minor league system is going to blossom over the next couple of years. There is a ton of talent down there and while some of them will flunk out, some will also succeed in a big way. The challenge is to keep up the supply once the current crop of minor leaguers arrive. We will likely not contend for a ring this year, but in 2015 we should have the team to do it.

That kind of reflects my philosophy.  Theo's genius was not so much picking the prospects, though he do did fairly well.  His genius was in collecting as many as possible.  I won't list all the names, but probably better than half of our minor league top prospects came from supplemental picks.

And some of those were almost manufactured.  Beltre was signed, at least in part, with the idea that he'd leave as a Type A or B, so that's Swihart and JBJ.  Wagner was acquired probably 90% in the hopes of draft pick(s), and that became Vitek and Ranaudo.  The rest of the comp picks were just fortuitous timing, but he also made the decision to allow them to walk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

That kind of reflects my philosophy.  Theo's genius was not so much picking the prospects, though he do did fairly well.  His genius was in collecting as many as possible.  I won't list all the names, but probably better than half of our minor league top prospects came from supplemental picks.

And some of those were almost manufactured.  Beltre was signed, at least in part, with the idea that he'd leave as a Type A or B, so that's Swihart and JBJ.  Wagner was acquired probably 90% in the hopes of draft pick(s), and that became Vitek and Ranaudo.  The rest of the comp picks were just fortuitous timing, but he also made the decision to allow them to walk.

So true. It was a great plan to stockpile prospects before the big rule changes. It will be interesting to see how we do over the coming years with the draft. We may see more international signings as a result of fewer com picks, but we may get a pick for Ellsbury and Napoli's departures.

I love the focus on pitching and SSs. 1Bmen are easy to get in trade or free agency.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

So true. It was a great plan to stockpile prospects before the big rule changes. It will be interesting to see how we do over the coming years with the draft. We may see more international signings as a result of fewer com picks, but we may get a pick for Ellsbury and Napoli's departures.

I love the focus on pitching and SSs. 1Bmen are easy to get in trade or free agency.

We have a shot with Drew as well.The biggest issue of concern was health.  He's played in 55-62 since his return.  His history suggests .750+, and he's fielded well.  I'd say he is in line for a $30M/3 contract.  He's a much more valuable player than Ross, who got $26M/3.  Better than Hunter who got $26M/2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i thought this thread was tongue in cheek...I can see being excited about the future but to declare this genius and a success while these guys have never set foot in MLB? That's kind of funny. Get a grip please.

As always - 100% correct!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The farm is currently rated #4 in baseball by baseball america if I remember correctly and we just had an exellent draft from all indications. and Xander Bogaerts might be the top rated prospect in baseball after this year and we look to have 10 great starting pitching prospects which is more than twice as many as most clubs have:

Webster

De La Rosa

Barnes

Ranaudo

Workman

Owens

Britton

Montas

Ball

Stankiewicz 

And 3 of the current top 50 prospects in baseball in JBJ, Cechinni and Bogaerts. The farm is the best I've ever seen it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Denney was projected as a First Rounder in every evaluation. Many thought he was going to College, also he had an off year. Sox got him and Signed him in 3rd round. I always like this Philosophy in Drafting the best Talent available, and not for need. In every sport.
    Theo and old regime seemed to forget the Catchers Position for a long time, should have been addressed as Varitek's game was going downhill after 07.
    Now we are getting a good young group at an important Position. Now just wait and see.

A lot of these young Pitchers, get used to the Catchers in the Minors, helps.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's tough to draft catchers. The flame out rate is so high. Giving them more than a 3rd or 4th round pick is generally dangerous. The Denney pick was huge in that they got him signed for $875,000, when he appeared to originally be asking for a couple mil. Or at least was projected to be wanting that level of money. He appears to be a very confident young man and maybe that is a positive sign! It looks like we got a bargain there.

Sawedaye is a computer guy as I understand it. He can crunch the data with any of them. I think he is terrific.

I'm really not worried about the catcher position going forward. I think Swihart is already one of our top 5 prospects. A real athlete at the catcher position. Throwing out 41% of runners. He seems to start out each level slowly but come on strong ( he's still pretty young and raw ). He may actually end up a better defender than he is an offensive player and his cred was the other way around. He looks for real to me. I bet we start hearing a lot more about him in the next few years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i thought this thread was tongue in cheek...I can see being excited about the future but to declare this genius and a success while these guys have never set foot in MLB? That's kind of funny. Get a grip please.

As always - 100% correct!

This coming from someone who based our #1, said he was a slow white guy, even though he runs a 6.6 60, said he was a worse fielder than Gomes, even though he is a pitcher, and said his velocity would go down, even though he he added an article saying that pitchers' velocity generally peaks in their early 20s.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have a shot with Drew as well.The biggest issue of concern was health.  He's played in 55-62 since his return.  His history suggests .750+, and he's fielded well.  I'd say he is in line for a $30M/3 contract.  He's a much more valuable player than Ross, who got $26M/3.  Better than Hunter who got $26M/2.

I seriously doubt Drew gest a qualifying offer, even if he stays healty and gets his OPS up over .770. I'm more afraid, he might take it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It's tough to draft catchers. The flame out rate is so high. Giving them more than a 3rd or 4th round pick is generally dangerous. The Denney pick was huge in that they got him signed for $875,000, when he appeared to originally be asking for a couple mil. Or at least was projected to be wanting that level of money. He appears to be a very confident young man and maybe that is a positive sign! It looks like we got a bargain there.

Sawedaye is a computer guy as I understand it. He can crunch the data with any of them. I think he is terrific.

I'm really not worried about the catcher position going forward. I think Swihart is already one of our top 5 prospects. A real athlete at the catcher position. Throwing out 41% of runners. He seems to start out each level slowly but come on strong ( he's still pretty young and raw ). He may actually end up a better defender than he is an offensive player and his cred was the other way around. He looks for real to me. I bet we start hearing a lot more about him in the next few years.

I like Denney for the fact that his bat projects to be very good.  With a lot of the marginal catching prospects, if you don't develop catching skills, you're pretty much useless.  Denney could still develop at other positions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I seriously doubt Drew gest a qualifying offer, even if he stays healty and gets his OPS up over .770. I'm more afraid, he might take it!

Sometimes you have to gamble, though we will certainly know by September.  The NYY probably did not want Swisher or Soriano to accept, and I'd prefer that Ellsbury not accept.  And it is not unlike the old days where you had to offer arbitration.  In some ways, that was worse, since you didn't know which way the arb might go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Top prospects by position soxprospect.com (4/4/13) with age.

C:  9- Swihart (21), 17- Vazquez (22)

1B: 16- Almanzar (22) 3B?, 37- T Shaw (23), 39-Snyder (26)

2B: 18- Coyle (21), 22- Betts  (20), 29- Holt (24)

3B: 4- Cecchini (22)

SS: 1-Bogaerts (20) 3B?, 12- Marrero (22), 25- T-W Lin (19), 34 Vinicio (19)

OF: 2- Bradley (23), 10- Brentz (24), 19- Margot (18), 21- Hazelbaker (25), 23- de la Cruz (21), 24- Jcobs (22), 31- Hassan (25), 40 Ramos (21)

SP: 3- Webster (23), 5- Barnes (22), 6-Ranaudo (23), 7 de la Rosa (24), 8- Owens (20), 11- Workman (24), 13- Britton (24), 14- B Johnson (22), 20- Montas (20), 26- Buttrey (20), 27- Callahan (18), 28- Mercedes (21), 32- P Light (22), 33- Kukuk (20), 41 Wright, 42 Doyle

RP: 15- A Wilson (26), 30- de la Torre (27), 35- C Martin (27), 36-C Hernandez (24), 38- Huntzinger (24)

I think at this point, I'd rank our top prospects like this:

1) Bogaerts

2) Ranaudo

3) Bradley

4) Owens

5) Webster

6) Cecchini

7) de la Rosa

8) Swihart

9) Britton

10) Barnes

11) Marrero

12) Brentz

13) Almanzar

14) Workman

15) Vazquez

16) Betts

17) Wilson

18) de la Torre

19) B Johnson

20) de la Cruz

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

This is a prime example of JoeyBs baseball acuman....who in their right mind would advocate signing SDrew to a 3 year thirty million dollar contract? Even if you didnt have Iggy already there for the next five years it would be a moronic use of resources. Joey never fails to amaze with his bootlickedness. BTW Joey, 6.6 sixty? LOLOL I guess that would make Mr. Ball the fastest pitcher of all time. 

http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=7633

you are truly dumb

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He wouldnt accept it just knowing that Iggy will start in 2014. Unless he wants a bench roll for 14M. if he ends up with those numbers, Im sure he would choose FA and he should be offered around a 3/30 deal. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

This is a prime example of JoeyBs baseball acuman....who in their right mind would advocate signing SDrew to a 3 year thirty million dollar contract? Even if you didnt have Iggy already there for the next five years it would be a moronic use of resources. Joey never fails to amaze with his bootlickedness. BTW Joey, 6.6 sixty? LOLOL I guess that would make Mr. Ball the fastest pitcher of all time. 

http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=7633

you are truly dumb

he ran a 6.82 60yd...Thats still very fast, so your still wrong about him. You criticized this kid so badly because they didnt pick an OF'er you thought they should. All the unfounded claims you made about Ball were wrong, and your calling JB dumb?

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=286352

Sections
Shortcuts