A salute to the brilliant drafting by Amiel Sawdaye and Ben Cherington!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: A salute to the brilliant drafting by Amiel Sawdaye and Ben Cherington!

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

So true. It was a great plan to stockpile prospects before the big rule changes. It will be interesting to see how we do over the coming years with the draft. We may see more international signings as a result of fewer com picks, but we may get a pick for Ellsbury and Napoli's departures.

I love the focus on pitching and SSs. 1Bmen are easy to get in trade or free agency.

We have a shot with Drew as well.The biggest issue of concern was health.  He's played in 55-62 since his return.  His history suggests .750+, and he's fielded well.  I'd say he is in line for a $30M/3 contract.  He's a much more valuable player than Ross, who got $26M/3.  Better than Hunter who got $26M/2.

This is a prime example of JoeyBs baseball acuman....who in their right mind would advocate signing SDrew to a 3 year thirty million dollar contract? Even if you didnt have Iggy already there for the next five years it would be a moronic use of resources. Joey never fails to amaze with his bootlickedness. BTW Joey, 6.6 sixty? LOLOL I guess that would make Mr. Ball the fastest pitcher of all time. 

http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=7633

you are truly dumb

You can't even even read anymore.  I said, if he has an OPS of > .750, SOMEONE ELSE would offer him $30M/3.  Of course, if you couldn't comprehend it the first time I wrote, I'm not sure why I'd expect you to comprehend it the second time I wrote it.

IRT Ball, 6.6 is not close to the fastest pitcher of all time.  Ron Guidry was said to be about as fast as Mickey Rivers.

Do you, you know, follow baseball by any chance?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

The farm is currently rated #4 in baseball by baseball america if I remember correctly and we just had an exellent draft from all indications. and Xander Bogaerts might be the top rated prospect in baseball after this year and we look to have 10 great starting pitching prospects which is more than twice as many as most clubs have:

Webster

De La Rosa

Barnes

Ranaudo

Workman

Owens

Britton

Montas

Ball

Stankiewicz 

And 3 of the current top 50 prospects in baseball in JBJ, Cechinni and Bogaerts. The farm is the best I've ever seen it.

Jon Denney could be joining these guys very soon.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

The farm is currently rated #4 in baseball by baseball america if I remember correctly and we just had an exellent draft from all indications. and Xander Bogaerts might be the top rated prospect in baseball after this year and we look to have 10 great starting pitching prospects which is more than twice as many as most clubs have:

Webster

De La Rosa

Barnes

Ranaudo

Workman

Owens

Britton

Montas

Ball

Stankiewicz 

And 3 of the current top 50 prospects in baseball in JBJ, Cechinni and Bogaerts. The farm is the best I've ever seen it.

Jon Denney could be joining these guys very soon.  

you'd put Denney ahead of Ball????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Apparently you are wacthing baseball in some alternate dimension because Drew is under .700 OPS right now and hasn't been higher than .717 in THREE YEARS. He is hitting .215 and youre talking about a 3 year deal with a half million dollar raise based on his 2013 numbers? Seriously?

Keep "watching" Joey

So true. It was a great plan to stockpile prospects before the big rule changes. It will be interesting to see how we do over the coming years with the draft. We may see more international signings as a result of fewer com picks, but we may get a pick for Ellsbury and Napoli's departures.

I love the focus on pitching and SSs. 1Bmen are easy to get in trade or free agency.

We have a shot with Drew as well.The biggest issue of concern was health.  He's played in 55-62 since his return.  His history suggests .750+, and he's fielded well.  I'd say he is in line for a $30M/3 contract.  He's a much more valuable player than Ross, who got $26M/3.  Better than Hunter who got $26M/2.

This is a prime example of JoeyBs baseball acuman....who in their right mind would advocate signing SDrew to a 3 year thirty million dollar contract? Even if you didnt have Iggy already there for the next five years it would be a moronic use of resources. Joey never fails to amaze with his bootlickedness. BTW Joey, 6.6 sixty? LOLOL I guess that would make Mr. Ball the fastest pitcher of all time. 

you are truly dumb

You can't even even read anymore.  I said, if he has an OPS of > .750, SOMEONE ELSE would offer him $30M/3.  Of course, if you couldn't comprehend it the first time I wrote, I'm not sure why I'd expect you to comprehend it the second time I wrote it.

IRT Ball, 6.6 is not close to the fastest pitcher of all time.  Ron Guidry was said to be about as fast as Mickey Rivers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Apparently you are wacthing baseball in some alternate dimension because Drew is under .700 OPS right now and hasn't been higher than .717 in THREE YEARS. He is hitting .215 and youre talking about a 3 year deal with a half million dollar raise based on his 2013 numbers? Seriously?

Keep "watching" Joey

you are truly dumb

And you know other GMs will be making decisions about Drew based solely on this years numbers how, exactly?

Thankfully, most GMs are not as myopic as you are.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

And you know other GMs will be making decisions about Drew based solely on this years numbers how, exactly?

[/QUOTE]

yes of course the GMs will gladly base their contract figures on just your BEST years, not your most recent ones, Look for papi to get a 5 year 150 million contract when his is up in 2014 based on that logic. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

yes of course the GMs will gladly base their contract figures on just your BEST years, not your most recent ones, Look for papi to get a 5 year 150 million contract when his is up in 2014 based on that logic. 

[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about just using best years?

You're not nearly bright enough to put words in my mouth, skippy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

a 30yr old (Drew) and a 38yr old (Papi) have obvious differences that would be taken into consideration when handing out a contract. Need a better example than that geo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

a 30yr old (Drew) and a 38yr old (Papi) have obvious differences that would be taken into consideration when handing out a contract. Need a better example than that geo.

i cant believe you are even comparing these two players..they are both two legged mammals, thats about it....Drew could be 23 and in his prime but with numbers like he has the past three years he is getting johnny gomes money..bank on it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

i cant believe you are even comparing these two players..they are both two legged mammals, thats about it....Drew could be 23 and in his prime but with numbers like he has the past three years he is getting johnny gomes money..bank on it

Ok, follow along...Heres what you said..

"yes of course the GMs will gladly base their contract figures on just your BEST years, not your most recent ones, Look for papi to get a 5 year 150 million contract when his is up in 2014 based on that logic."

You made the comparison to papi getting a long contract. The only thing I was comparing was the obvious 8yr age difference between him and Drew as to why Drew would get a 3-4 yr deal and why Papi wouldnt ever get a long term deal regardless of past performance...

Drew has been injured and has had 2 incomplete years in 2011-2012. teams will take that into consideration. They will also take into consideration that hes not 26-28 anymore either. Most Gm's will probably look at Drew as a solid defender that should hit around a 750 OPS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ok, follow along...Heres what you said..

"yes of course the GMs will gladly base their contract figures on just your BEST years, not your most recent ones, Look for papi to get a 5 year 150 million contract when his is up in 2014 based on that logic."

You made the comparison to papi getting a long contract. The only thing I was comparing was the obvious 8yr age difference between him and Drew as to why Drew would get a 3-4 yr deal and why Papi wouldnt ever get a long term deal regardless of past performance...

Drew has been injured and has had 2 incomplete years in 2011-2012. teams will take that into consideration. They will also take into consideration that hes not 26-28 anymore either. Most Gm's will probably look at Drew as a solid defender that should hit around a 750 OPS.

GMs also look at injury rates too. They will not assume Drew is a .750 OPS guy. Most GMs do not trust that a player will return to the form of a season as far back as 2010. They may hope he will, but they will not pay him like it is assumed he will hit .750.

Drew hit at .713 in 2011 for a pretty large sample size of 354 PAs. After the injury that year, he did come back for over 325 PAs in 2012. You may not want to count those numbers fully, but they are not totally meaningless (.657 OPS). Now, he's gone 223 PAs with a .679 OPS. yes, he missed some time, but that's not a free pass.

I'm not saying Drew won't hit .750. That's pretty close to what I expected from him this year, but after this year's numbers so far, I'm not sure I'd project that for the next 1-3 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm going to keep repeating it in the hope that you will comprehend it if I type it slow enough.

If    he    has    a    OPS    of .750  or    higher   .

Let me know which words you are having issues understanding.  I tried to keep it simple for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I'd like to see Geo and JB bet on Drew's next contract (if he has a .750 OPS or higher, that is - capiche, Geo?).  I'd like the wager for Geo to be that he'd have to remove that hideous Clemens's head as an avatar and replace it with one of Stephen Drew being introduced by his next team.  If JB loses, he could add an avatar of a bootlicker.  There's a good one of the Alex character from  A Clockwork Orange being ordered to lick a grimy boot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=En6t5k5_FM4

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For Drew to end up with a .750 OPS, he'd have to hit about .790 the rest of the way- certainly doable, but I don't see it happening. If Middy wakes up and Iggy keeps hitting, Drew might not get enough PAs to bring it up that high.

I don't see Drew getting #30M/3 even if he gets to .750, but tehn again, I never thought Cody Ross would get $26M/3 either, but he did have a big year in 2012.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

For Drew to end up with a .750 OPS, he'd have to hit about .790 the rest of the way- certainly doable, but I don't see it happening. If Middy wakes up and Iggy keeps hitting, Drew might not get enough PAs to bring it up that high.

I don't see Drew getting #30M/3 even if he gets to .750, but tehn again, I never thought Cody Ross would get $26M/3 either, but he did have a big year in 2012.

Sox4ever

I don't see Drew even getting a QO. I think we agree on that Moon if I interpret what you are saying correctly. I think they may even trade him at the deadline.

Iggy might snaggle a starting slot yet.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

And now with Bogaerts screaming up the farm channel as well. Sawdaye is terrific with the draft IMO and Cherington has been solid as a GM. Got to give them credit. This isn't easy.

Signing Denney for $875,000 was huge. That opens up the opportunity to sign several more overslot guys. This year's draft is shaping up to be one of the best in baseball this year. They are managing it very well. We got possibly the top high school pitcher in the draft ( he was rated #2 by most ) and maybe the top HS catcher as well. And our 2nd round pick is signed underslot and is reputed to be a good find. And assuming we sign Ball for around $3 mil, we still have about $1.5 mil mil to spend for more overslot guys.

If they can convince Ryan Boldt to sign they will have stolen one of the top young prospects in this draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sox4ever

If Iggy steals ABs from Drew, I assume it will mostly be v lefties, so at a limited level, it will be helpful.

If AZ and Oakland, both teams with low payrolls, thought that Drew was worth $9M, so will others.

And one of the sites I visited said that the RS would have no problem trading Drew with the dearth of SS's out there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sox4ever

Ross is yet another example of the inflationary baseball market.  Ross had a .735 OPS in 2010 and .730 in 2011.  His .807 OPS in 2012 was built on mashing lefties in Fenway in the first half.  He's a below-average fielder.  He gets 3 and $26 million and he stinks this year.  Many teams are being rooked these days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

And now with Bogaerts screaming up the farm channel as well. Sawdaye is terrific with the draft IMO and Cherington has been solid as a GM. Got to give them credit. This isn't easy.

Signing Denney for $875,000 was huge. That opens up the opportunity to sign several more overslot guys. This year's draft is shaping up to be one of the best in baseball this year. They are managing it very well. We got possibly the top high school pitcher in the draft ( he was rated #2 by most ) and maybe the top HS catcher as well. And our 2nd round pick is signed underslot and is reputed to be a good find. And assuming we sign Ball for around $3 mil, we still have about $1.5 mil mil to spend for more overslot guys.

If they can convince Ryan Boldt to sign they will have stolen one of the top young prospects in this draft.

Don't get me wrong you can go back and look at the draft boards; Ryan Boldt was my draft binky.  He isn't signing.  Maybe if Ball comes in at 2.5 (he will sign below slot but this far low my be wishful thinking) they can throw 1 million at him. No where near his 2.5 million asking price but who truly knows, Denney signed for a lot less than what many expected.  I think Boldt was a back up plan if they failed to sign Denney.

I suspect they drafted Denney because they knew they could sign him.  But the redsox have been burned in years past by draftees who all of a sudden increase their bonus demands after the draft.

The Sox drafted more top 500 high schoolers than any other team....I'd rather see that money spad around at this point.  I'd say Boldt is a pipe dream but if they COULD move the money around for him that be it....no one else.  I'd like to see Longhi and Sheffield in the system personally

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

People forget that Drew plays a premium position.  So if you hate him, you must try to realize he is likely going to get more in the open market than some of you think.

Take Salty for example.  Whatever money he gets in free agency he would likely get much less if he was an outfielder.  Finding an outfielder that puts up his kinda numbers is easy.  Same thing with Drew, he might not even find a job if he was a 1b but as a SS he will get a decent deal from someone.  If he stays healthy he may get 40-45 million.  

That may seem like an overpay.....but someone always overpays.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Sox4ever

Ross is yet another example of the inflationary baseball market.  Ross had a .735 OPS in 2010 and .730 in 2011.  His .807 OPS in 2012 was built on mashing lefties in Fenway in the first half.  He's a below-average fielder.  He gets 3 and $26 million and he stinks this year.  Many teams are being rooked these days.

You are correct in the fact that Ross mashed in Fenway. That was one reason I was surprised some GM paid him $26M/3 to play elsewhere (AZ); however, while Ross was initially signed to platoon ve LHPs, he ended up with 378 PAs vs RHPs and just 150 vs LHPs. Yes, he did much better vs LHPs, but he still mashed 10 HRs in 344 ABs vs righties. That helped keep is total OPS over .800 and got him the big deal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

People forget that Drew plays a premium position.  So if you hate him, you must try to realize he is likely going to get more in the open market than some of you think.

Take Salty for example.  Whatever money he gets in free agency he would likely get much less if he was an outfielder.  Finding an outfielder that puts up his kinda numbers is easy.  Same thing with Drew, he might not even find a job if he was a 1b but as a SS he will get a decent deal from someone.  If he stays healthy he may get 40-45 million.  

That may seem like an overpay.....but someone always overpays.

Seeing that the average MLB SS has an OPS around .680 (lower than that I think), Drew is above average right now. Hes streaky and will probably improve. Maybe not to the 750 I think, but it should be within striking distance of that IMO. He'll get paid. Probably more than some of you think.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you are truly dumb

he ran a 6.82 60yd...Thats still very fast, so your still wrong about him. You criticized this kid so badly because they didnt pick an OF'er you thought they should. All the unfounded claims you made about Ball were wrong, and your calling JB dumb?

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=286352

you realize that Ball is going to sign for much cheaper money than he should be based on his draft position. Do you know why? Because he is a reach and a project. BTW his running time is AVERAGE at best...and given his size it will take him forever to get it into gear on the bathpaths/field. And he is projected as a pitcher so this is all moot anyways. Im not hating on the guy, Im simply saying that we could have done a lot better at that draft position. He is what he is and I predict he will not make it as a contributing player - maybe a one inning "specialist" like Clay Mortenson

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

you are truly dumb

he ran a 6.82 60yd...Thats still very fast, so your still wrong about him. You criticized this kid so badly because they didnt pick an OF'er you thought they should. All the unfounded claims you made about Ball were wrong, and your calling JB dumb?

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=286352

you realize that Ball is going to sign for much cheaper money than he should be based on his draft position. Do you know why? Because he is a reach and a project. BTW his running time is AVERAGE at best...and given his size it will take him forever to get it into gear on the bathpaths/field. And he is projected as a pitcher so this is all moot anyways. Im not hating on the guy, Im simply saying that we could have done a lot better at that draft position. He is what he is and I predict he will not make it as a contributing player - maybe a one inning "specialist" like Clay Mortenson

Actually most players in the top 10 sign for below slot.   Ball wasn't the "safest" pick, but he had the highest ceiling of anyone left and that is why the Sox drafted him.  And if he comes in below slot then that is what allows them to go out and sign Longhi, Denney, Sheffield, Theis.  This is shaping up to be a very good draft for the Sox. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You are correct. One fine example of this is....

Stephen Drew, who signed for $9.5M after 2 poor seasons while recovering from a major injury. I understand the theory, that this was a "proving season" for Drew, and if (emphasis on IF) he has a decent season this year (above .750 and continued average or plus defense) he could get close to $30M/3 from some wide-eyed GM. He may even get $13M/1, but not if a team has to surrender a draft choice to get him. That is why I do not see him getting a QO from the Sox. He may just take it and try one more time for that big season that brings him the huge payday.

For reference, here are some recent FA SS signings:

2013:

$9.5M/1 Drew

$6M/1 Peralta

$10M/3 Izturis

$6.5M/2 Nakajima

2012:

$106M/6 Reyes

$14M/2 Furcal (had an .826 OPS 2 years before and a .757 OPS in 6 yrs with LAD previously)

$10.5M/2 Barnes

$3.8M/3 Bloomquist

$3M/2 McDonald

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts