A salute to the brilliant drafting by Amiel Sawdaye and Ben Cherington!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: A salute to the brilliant drafting by Amiel Sawdaye and Ben Cherington!

You can see some of these guys now in Lowell as short season baseball has started yesterday.  One name to look out for down there (not draft related) is Manuel Margot, a potential 5 tool player with a very high ceiling.   I think all the shiny new toys from this years draft may get more of a look in the gulf coast league.  So it may be a bit lackluster to see Ball pitch 7 innings then disapear for a year.  But the good side of that is we get to see Jamie Callahan and Tyler Buttrey can do this year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Drew 9.5 (overpay for 1yr deal) age 30

Hardy 7.5M .764 OPS age 30 (3yr/22M 12-14)

Aybar 8.75M .652OPS age 29 (5yr/40M 12-16)

Furcal 7.5M (TJ surgery in March) Out til 2014 age 35

A. Ramirez 7M .620 OPS age 31 (4yr/32M 12-14)

These 5 names seem the most comparable in age performance and salary.

If Drew does hit 750 or more, theres a good chance he gets 10 per for 3 or more years, or close to it. It always depends on supply and demand when it comes to FA of course and the teams involved. The fact that Drew is a solid and smart defender who can give you above average offense for a MLB SS is to his benefit. Hes also still young enough to get a deal through his age 33 season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

You can see some of these guys now in Lowell as short season baseball has started yesterday.  One name to look out for down there (not draft related) is Manuel Margot, a potential 5 tool player with a very high ceiling.   I think all the shiny new toys from this years draft may get more of a look in the gulf coast league.  So it may be a bit lackluster to see Ball pitch 7 innings then disapear for a year.  But the good side of that is we get to see Jamie Callahan and Tyler Buttrey can do this year. 

I cant wait to see what Buttrey can do. Callahan too, but Buttrey being 6'6 and 220-230 already should be throwing some serious gas.

Montas can hit triple digits on the gun too. Lots of good young arms in the lower levels.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

[QUOTE]

And now with Bogaerts screaming up the farm channel as well. Sawdaye is terrific with the draft IMO and Cherington has been solid as a GM. Got to give them credit. This isn't easy.

Signing Denney for $875,000 was huge. That opens up the opportunity to sign several more overslot guys. This year's draft is shaping up to be one of the best in baseball this year. They are managing it very well. We got possibly the top high school pitcher in the draft ( he was rated #2 by most ) and maybe the top HS catcher as well. And our 2nd round pick is signed underslot and is reputed to be a good find. And assuming we sign Ball for around $3 mil, we still have about $1.5 mil mil to spend for more overslot guys.

If they can convince Ryan Boldt to sign they will have stolen one of the top young prospects in this draft.

[/QUOTE]

Virtually no one projected that Denney would sign for $875,000 and you and I both know that was a huge part of the Boldt equation. If Ball comes in even $300,000 to $400,000 under slot later today it is concievable they can make a run at Boldt....and I hope they do also. If they can sign him for $1,200,000 or so I'd pull the trigger. He might do it. That's a lot of cash. I'm hopeful. He is the best remaining option by far but he probably would not even go for that much but if he choses to go to Nebraska he waits 3 years. His cousin is already at Nebraska. He's said he's going to Nebraska. But would you turn down over a mil and wait 3 yers in Nebraska? Not me! He is clearly their kind of guy. An Ellsbury type.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And now with Bogaerts screaming up the farm channel as well. Sawdaye is terrific with the draft IMO and Cherington has been solid as a GM. Got to give them credit. This isn't easy.

Signing Denney for $875,000 was huge. That opens up the opportunity to sign several more overslot guys. This year's draft is shaping up to be one of the best in baseball this year. They are managing it very well. We got possibly the top high school pitcher in the draft ( he was rated #2 by most ) and maybe the top HS catcher as well. And our 2nd round pick is signed underslot and is reputed to be a good find. And assuming we sign Ball for around $3 mil, we still have about $1.5 mil mil to spend for more overslot guys.

If they can convince Ryan Boldt to sign they will have stolen one of the top young prospects in this draft.

[/QUOTE]

Virtually no one projected that Denney would sign for $875,000 and you and I both know that was a huge part of the Boldt equation. If Ball comes in even $300,000 to $400,000 under slot later today it is concievable they can make a run at Boldt....and I hope they do also. If they can sign him for $1,200,000 or so I'd pull the trigger. He might do it. That's a lot of cash. I'm hopeful. He is the best remaining option by far but he probably would not even go for that much but if he choses to go to Nebraska he waits 3 years. His cousin is already at Nebraska. He's said he's going to Nebraska. But would you turn down over a mil and wait 3 yers in Nebraska? Not me! He is clearly their kind of guy. An Ellsbury type.

[/QUOTE]

Great work on these signings, you guys. I hope we can sign all these guys, and it looks like Amiel and ben planned this out pretty well.

We've really loaded up the farm these past few years...

2010: Ranaudo, Brentz, Workman, Cecchini...

2011: Bradley, Owens, Swihart, Barnes, Betts...

2012: Marrero, Johnson, Callahan, Buttrey, Light...

2013: Let's sign almost all these guys!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I thought Ball was supposed to be introduced today?!?!?!?

Last time I listen to gammons

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks like Ball is about to finalize his deal...

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/06/19/red-sox-set-to-finalize-deal-with-first-rounder-trey-ball/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Underslot no less. It will be interesting to see how much. Can they make a run at Boldt? Virtually no one thinks so but if they pull that off they will be considered among the top drafts of this year.