A sincere appreciation of Terry Francona.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

A sincere appreciation of Terry Francona.

It's almost certain Francona won't be back.

SOMEONE will have to pay for this, and it won't be the GM (first).  The free agents the GM crowed about locking up for years are worthless as trade collateral, so they will stay.  Really - no one will take them.

So, Terry will have to go.  It's fair to say that he has utterly mishandled his pitching staff, though one suspects and senses the dark hand of Theo Epstein and Bill James there. 

But much more practically, the RS simply can't stand pat, and he is the most expendable.

Which is too bad.  Terry has done an awful lot for this franchise.  He allowed Manny to be lovable - no small feat for such a dreadful and disgusting human.  He thumped Hazel Mae.

And oh yeah, he brought us not one but TWO World Championships.  I know this year has been bitter, but Grady Little he wasn't.  Ultimately, Terry will be the fall guy for one of the most psychologically fragile rosters ever assembled in pro sports.

Those of us who suffered eternally won't forget how we felt in 04/07.  Terry, you brought me some of my greatest joys.  I will always, always love you for that.  That you were funny and taciturn in a town filled with drama queens speaks highly of you.  I wish you were my neighbor.

But the Gods are livid, and a sacrifice is demanded.  Yours is the heart that will be plucked from your torso, still beating, as the high priest Epstein raises it in sorrow and takes a giant bite.

You were screwed, Terry.  Hard and fast and furiously like a cheap trick on Fremont Street rented by meth addled bikers.  Nurse yourself back to health and pity the man who inherits this mess.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannimota. Show mannimota's posts

Re: A sincere appreciation of Terry Francona.

Well written.  Unfortunately, Terry did little to help himself in the past month.  It is a mess and it's not entirely his fault, but he also made some questionable-to-bad decisions this month.  Left Lackey in last night and Beckett in tonight.  I agree, the angry hordes and baseballs gods must be appeased and Francoma will be sacrificed.  It's going to pretty bleak for a while, but maybe this is how it has to be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Its Epstein's fault for not making a deal at trade deadline and then breaking Oakland's cumyakas on Harden which was stupid, to hang onto Lars Anderson. They could have hung onto the talent that they gave up for AGON by signing Teixeira back in 2008. Henry got cheap.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from legion12941. Show legion12941's posts

He can be funny, laughing in the face of adversity 

http://www.csnne.com/09/15/11/Francona-channels-his-inner-Jim-Mora/landing_redsox.html?blockID=564021&feedID=3947

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Francona will be back.  Excuses for the collapse will come out of the woodwork and immediately accepted as true.
    You do not fire a manager who has done so much based on this year's results.  With any luck theo will go to the cubs and a more imaginative gm can start putting the pieces back together.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

TO ABQDAN....IT'S FUNNY WHAT YOU WROTE
    ABOUT THE HIGH PRIEST RIPPING OUT TITO'S
    HEART IN THE PAGAN SACRIFICE. IT REALLY
    SHOULD BE BOTH THAT ARE SACRIFICED ON
    THE FLAMING ALTAR, OR HUNG OUT ON THE
    TOBIN BRIDGE. BUT...AS YOU SAY...SOMEONE
    HAS TO PAY FOR THIS DEBACLE. WATCHING
    THE RED SOX THIS LAST MONTH HAS MADE
    ME WANT TO CRY !! GREAT POST, DAN. WE ALL
    NEED A GOOD LAUGH !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Even on the long shot that this team makes the playoffs, they will shoot their wad just trying to get in, that there will be nothing left in round one. Who would you start Wakefield, Wyland, Lackey in Game 1. Come on those guys could not start a Little League Game.  Betch Terry would second think all those games he gave players off in August abd September. I guess they will  have plenty of rest for their golf games in October.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

It is Epstein's fault far more than Francona.  His signing over the last years have been atrocious. Chemistry has slowly crept up on this team and now you have a team of spoiled out of shape non performers. They all have juice from the past and that is what makes this group so uncoachable.

Theo has been awful straying from the model that made the miracle of 2004 possibley. He needs to go to the Cubs and keep their century of futility going.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Thread title was chosen carefully: I like the man.  I think he's a good - not great - manager. 

And for some time, good was more than enough.

Hierarchical organizations don't place blame rationally; they find scapegoats and sacrificial lambs.  Much as we all want to see Lackey drag the cross to Bunker Hill and get nailed to it, it can't happen: no one will pay the insurance claim, and "CJ Wilson is not walking through that door." (BTW: hope I'm wrong there)

Accland, I'd be glad to see Epstein go and Terry stay, but ... no.  If you are the Cubs, are you eager for Epstein after witnessing this?  It would be like appointing Bartman director of community relations.  The karma from this collapse is massive, an enormous indictment of not just Epstein's choices, but of his ability to lead a team.

As of September 25, Theo Epstein is an expensive failure.

Come to think of it, that DOES sound like the Cubs, doesn't it?  Who knows? 

But even if Terry stays, what then?  This isn't like losing a playoff series; this was a sustained, historic collapse.  It won't soon be forgotten, and in a media market as vicious as Boston, it will only get heavier.  Drop 2 of 3 in Toronto in May?  Out will come the ghosts.

Terry is locked in the belly of the wicker man, and the natives reek of gasoline.  It will be ugly, and somehow, we'll all feel better after we taste the poor sod's blood. 

Logic won't enter into it; it will be pure bloodlust and unreason and rage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to Re: A sincere appreciation of Terry Francona.:
    [QUOTE]It is Epstein's fault far more than Francona.  His signing over the last years have been atrocious. Chemistry has slowly crept up on this team and now you have a team of spoiled out of shape non performers. They all have juice from the past and that is what makes this group so uncoachable. Theo has been awful straying from the model that made the miracle of 2004 possibley. He needs to go to the Cubs and keep their century of futility going.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

But according to Theo's slide rule the Red Sox will win 98 games and the WS

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

I don't think John Henry is a fan of Theo's slide rule at the moment.

Most self-made men have pretty big egos, and don't like to get embarrassed.