A sour taste towards Pedroia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia

Seattle has an owner with money.  Icharo is gone.  They need to bring people INTO the park.

Seattle needs a big name player.  PD is a former MVP and a leader.   He is well known everywhere in the league.

So I say Seattle is a trade partner.  Even for Els.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

is the sour taste actually...Bitter Beer Taste....queue bitter beer face

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia:
    [QUOTE]If Notin is right that veteran position players do not get you an ace - and I have no reason to not accept his assertion - then it is no longer an option to trade ellsbury for a top starter. Pedroia is exactly 25 days older than Ellsbury
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Hey, name me a top starter in the past 5 years who was traed for a pposition player?  Pitchers are all the time, but topflight pitching?  Rare, if ever. 

However, it can be done through a third team.  Deal Ellsbury, to, say, Washington for a good prospect.  Anthony Rendon makes sense, since they don't need him at 3B with Zimmerman signed long term, and his recent injuries will make converting to 2B difficult.  Also, they desperately need a leafoff CF.

Flip Rendon to the A's for Brett Anderson.  Anderson is still 24, and coming off TJ surgery, and could make a start as soon as next week. He makes $5.75ill in 2013, and has options or $8mill in 2014 nd $12mill in 2015 ($1.5mill buyout on each).  Given the A's pitching depth, his price, and their other needs (3B, SS for exaMPLE) he is a guarantee to be on the market.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia : Hey, name me a top starter in the past 5 years who was traed for a pposition player?  Pitchers are all the time, but topflight pitching?  Rare, if ever.  However, it can be done through a third team.  Deal Ellsbury, to, say, Washington for a good prospect.  Anthony Rendon makes sense, since they don't need him at 3B with Zimmerman signed long term, and his recent injuries will make converting to 2B difficult.  Also, they desperately need a leafoff CF. Flip Rendon to the A's for Brett Anderson.  Anderson is still 24, and coming off TJ surgery, and could make a start as soon as next week. He makes $5.75ill in 2013, and has options or $8mill in 2014 nd $12mill in 2015 ($1.5mill buyout on each).  Given the A's pitching depth, his price, and their other needs (3B, SS for exaMPLE) he is a guarantee to be on the market.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Notin, as per the course, you are basing all trades on the past...not wise to do...circumstances change, salaries need to be shed, rebuilding has to be done, anyone can be traded for anyone if the timing is right....I watched the game yesterday and saw Pedroia's amazing defensive plays bring the CLEVELAND crowd to its feet/cheering loudly an opposing player...that is the cache of Pedroia...he is charasimatic and plays hard....any team would love to have him...if i were Seattle and i knew i couldnt resign felix/afford him long term, i would trade him for pedroia in a minute...not just because he is a great player, but he brings people into the stands and excites the fan base...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

he's all i got to root for on Aug. 30, geo. Can Pedroia at least be healthy by then? Probably break his foot on Aug. 29

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I am not suggesting trading him.  Like I said, I am glad that we have him.  Although I agree that he would bring more back than any other player we have.

I am just getting a little tunred by the specail treatment (deservingly or not).   It can't help the team morale seeing someone is getting specail treatment over you.  By the management/owner, media, and fans.  Think about it, what would you be feeling be if a fellow employee was being treated in such away, despite performing just as bad as you are, yet you were the one being bashed.  He has also been a major problem this year with both his attitude in the clubhouse, and his poor numbers this year.  Yet never mentioned.

"played hard with a pin in his foot".  True, and admirable.  But, still.  Look at Schilling how he played.  Yet, he gets bashed (to this very day) about anything gans and media can come up with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia : Hey, name me a top starter in the past 5 years who was traed for a pposition player?  Pitchers are all the time, but topflight pitching?  Rare, if ever.  However, it can be done through a third team.  Deal Ellsbury, to, say, Washington for a good prospect.  Anthony Rendon makes sense, since they don't need him at 3B with Zimmerman signed long term, and his recent injuries will make converting to 2B difficult.  Also, they desperately need a leafoff CF. Flip Rendon to the A's for Brett Anderson.  Anderson is still 24, and coming off TJ surgery, and could make a start as soon as next week. He makes $5.75ill in 2013, and has options or $8mill in 2014 nd $12mill in 2015 ($1.5mill buyout on each).  Given the A's pitching depth, his price, and their other needs (3B, SS for exaMPLE) he is a guarantee to be on the market.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

So couldn't we do something like  that with Pedroia?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Pedroia became a RS SACRED COW about half way thru his first year. The first two months he was being beat up by everyone along with TF for playing him.

He never had been chastised for his antics after getting thrown out at first. Whereas Youk started getting the "jerk" moniker for the same antics the year he first got hurt. Prior to that Youk was also a sacred cow.

There have always been RS Sacred Cows. They are such until things start going south for them then they are fair game by every one especially the media who generally plant the seeds of discontent in fans.
    Lester was a Sacred Cow until this year.
    Ortiz was SC until the year he was terrible in A/M/J since then even with a return to being the most productive guy on the team he is NO longer a SC. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to A sour taste towards Pedroia:
    [QUOTE]Don't get me wrong, I am glad that we have him.  But, Carfado's statement in last night game summary "as usual, one person came to play, Pedroia who got a single in the 9th", sent me over the edge. Is Pedroia God in a disguise?  That is the way he his treated. 1)  His numbers this year are way below his norm.  Just as much as most other players on the team.  Batting only .270+, only 9 HR.  That is horrible for him.  Yet, we never hear a word about him.  We only hear about Lester and Becket.  Gonzalez' lack of power.  How Aviles shouldn't be our SS.  Crawford.   Everything and anything realted to Valentine. But, NEVER ANYTHING about Pedi despite his very poor numbers this year as well. 2)  As bad as we are this year, I don't see this team as a "lazy team".  Most of the guys I see hustle and show they really care and have an attitude that they really want to win.  "They show up every night too".   Salty, Ross, Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, Ellsbury (maybe too much with last night running mistake), Papi.   Even Lester, as poor as he has been, you can see real frustration with him in wanting to do better. Do you think Carafado would have written the samething if say Ross got a single in the 9th?  Why not?  He hs shown great attitude and hustle and his numbers are better than Pedi's with less AB's.   But, you would never hear a statement like that about someone like Ross.  Only PEDI. 3)  The snitch (which I think this entire story is stupid to begin with, but to prove a point....)  when they thought it was Youk, the story carried on for weeks about it maybe being him.  Recently, when word came out that it may have been Pedi, it was dropped like a bad habit. 4)  As well documented, his atttiude and words at the begining of the season about "how we do things around here" were never addressed.  There was a never a fine, or even a public apology by Pedi.  If there was an apology, he should have made it public.  His comment was made public.  But, no way !!  For he is Dustin Pedroia !! He is also regarded by many as being the only "untouchable/untradeable" on the team. Yes, he is good and I am glad that we have him.  But, the way he is treated by both the fans and the media, despite having just a poor of season as the others, and acting like he is really "IT", it is hard not to be buidling a "sour taste" towards him a little bit.  Wake up fans and media, he has been just as much of the problem this year as many of the other players.   But, you would never know it. 
    Posted by sjddaj[/QUOPro sports are very tough.... You have the mentallity that everything is sooooooooooo easy..... Your post are very sour and not in any way  khowing what goes on in pro sports . NOT SAYING YOUR DUMB.... YOU DID THAT ON YOUR OWN.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

What's with the negativity on Pedroia?  The guy is a workhorse and a Leader.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to A sour taste towards Pedroia:
    [QUOTE]Don't get me wrong, I am glad that we have him.  But, Carfado's statement in last night game summary "as usual, one person came to play, Pedroia who got a single in the 9th", sent me over the edge. Is Pedroia God in a disguise?  That is the way he his treated. 1)  His numbers this year are way below his norm.  Just as much as most other players on the team.  Batting only .270+, only 9 HR.  That is horrible for him.  Yet, we never hear a word about him.  We only hear about Lester and Becket.  Gonzalez' lack of power.  How Aviles shouldn't be our SS.  Crawford.   Everything and anything realted to Valentine. But, NEVER ANYTHING about Pedi despite his very poor numbers this year as well. 2)  As bad as we are this year, I don't see this team as a "lazy team".  Most of the guys I see hustle and show they really care and have an attitude that they really want to win.  "They show up every night too".   Salty, Ross, Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, Ellsbury (maybe too much with last night running mistake), Papi.   Even Lester, as poor as he has been, you can see real frustration with him in wanting to do better. Do you think Carafado would have written the samething if say Ross got a single in the 9th?  Why not?  He hs shown great attitude and hustle and his numbers are better than Pedi's with less AB's.   But, you would never hear a statement like that about someone like Ross.  Only PEDI. 3)  The snitch (which I think this entire story is stupid to begin with, but to prove a point....)  when they thought it was Youk, the story carried on for weeks about it maybe being him.  Recently, when word came out that it may have been Pedi, it was dropped like a bad habit. 4)  As well documented, his atttiude and words at the begining of the season about "how we do things around here" were never addressed.  There was a never a fine, or even a public apology by Pedi.  If there was an apology, he should have made it public.  His comment was made public.  But, no way !!  For he is Dustin Pedroia !! He is also regarded by many as being the only "untouchable/untradeable" on the team. Yes, he is good and I am glad that we have him.  But, the way he is treated by both the fans and the media, despite having just a poor of season as the others, and acting like he is really "IT", it is hard not to be buidling a "sour taste" towards him a little bit.  Wake up fans and media, he has been just as much of the problem this year as many of the other players.   But, you would never know it. 
    Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]

Pedroia is indeed suffering through the worst batting season of his career.  Maybe some bad luck/small sample size, maybe injury-related, who can say for sure?  Of course, he is still among the top 10 batting 2B-men and remains Thee Elite fielder at his position.

And he remains an ultra bargain at his 2012 salary of only $8m.

So what's your point again?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]What's with the negativity on Pedroia?  The guy is a workhorse and a Leader.    
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

It's not negativity to recognize that he is our most valuable piece in a trade.  he would bring more in trade than Ellsbury.

As for the "leader" label - I hear that a lot.  But the leader seems to be complaining a lot this year and he isn't doing very much leading.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

LOL, what nitwits.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

How do you measure a leader?

It appears that the team is under achieving, is lazy, and has lousy attitudes. 

The followers stink and don't try, but the leader is great! 

I guess that is possible - but shouldn't a leader actually have some positive influence?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia : Notin, as per the course, you are basing all trades on the past...not wise to do...circumstances change, salaries need to be shed, rebuilding has to be done, anyone can be traded for anyone if the timing is right....I watched the game yesterday and saw Pedroia's amazing defensive plays bring the CLEVELAND crowd to its feet/cheering loudly an opposing player...that is the cache of Pedroia...he is charasimatic and plays hard....any team would love to have him...if i were Seattle and i knew i couldnt resign felix/afford him long term, i would trade him for pedroia in a minute...not just because he is a great player, but he brings people into the stands and excites the fan base...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Sure, every team would lvoe to have him.

But zero teams will surrender an ace pitcher for him.  Now, they might surrender some prospects who can be combined with another prospect or two.

However, it makes zero sense for a team to deal a topflight pitcher for Pedroia.  Dealing for Pedroia means short term "going for it."  Can't do that without an ace.

Teams might deal their 2B if they have a replacement coming up.  That NEVER happens with aces, since your rotation is like a poker hand.  When was the last time you were playing poker and thought "I have waaaay too many aces!!"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pedroia is 13 for his last 26 BTW.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia : Notin, as per the course, you are basing all trades on the past...not wise to do...circumstances change, salaries need to be shed, rebuilding has to be done, anyone can be traded for anyone if the timing is right....I watched the game yesterday and saw Pedroia's amazing defensive plays bring the CLEVELAND crowd to its feet/cheering loudly an opposing player...that is the cache of Pedroia...he is charasimatic and plays hard....any team would love to have him...if i were Seattle and i knew i couldnt resign felix/afford him long term, i would trade him for pedroia in a minute...not just because he is a great player, but he brings people into the stands and excites the fan base...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

So how about Pedroia AND Ellsbury for Felix and spare parts?

I'd do that.  Would Seattle?

I dunno if the package actually saves the M's any $.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia : So how about Pedroia AND Ellsbury for Felix and spare parts? I'd do that.  Would Seattle? I dunno if the package actually saves the M's any $.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

It doesn't save them money, so it's a non-starter.  Most times when an ace gets traded its for a big package of prospects.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i wouldnt trade both ells and pedroia...one or the other and a top prospect for felix...thats about the only trade that would work for me...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia :   could a case be made 4 trading those guys 4 prospects that the team with the ace would want
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Probably so zac.  My bias is obviously toward trading Ellsbury instead of Pedroia.  To me Pedroia is a true core player like Jeter is for you guys.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Seattle has an owner with money.  Icharo is gone.  They need to bring people INTO the park. Seattle needs a big name player.  PD is a former MVP and a leader.   He is well known everywhere in the league. So I say Seattle is a trade partner.  Even for Els.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]
    Seattle already has a big-name player in Felix Hernandez and big-time former top hitting prospects in Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley, Michael Saunders and Justin Smoak, as well as big-time prospects in Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen, Nick Franklin, James Paxton and Mike Zunino.

Dustin Pedroia or Jacoby Ellsbury might land Seattle's Jason Vargas, who won his 13th game of the season today when the lefthander limited the Los Angeles Angels to one run over 8.1 innings.

The Mariners may have little interest in Dustin Pedroia, who has been valued at 1.8 WAR* this season as the diminutive secondbaseman approaches his 29th birthday this week. Seattle has less expensive 24-year-old options at second base in college teammates Kyle Seager, who has been valued at 2.3 WAR this season, and Dustin Ackley, who has been valued at 1.5 WAR this year after posting a WAR of 2.7 in 2011.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia : Probably so zac.  My bias is obviously toward trading Ellsbury instead of Pedroia.  To me Pedroia is a true core player like Jeter is for you guys.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

If we're trading Ellsbury and Pedroia, we'd be basically tanking 2013.  If we were tanking 2013, what would be the point of trading for an ace?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If they had more players like Pedroia, they'd be the favorites to win the WS.