A sour taste towards Pedroia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

A sour taste towards Pedroia

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that we have him.  But, Carfado's statement in last night game summary "as usual, one person came to play, Pedroia who got a single in the 9th", sent me over the edge.

Is Pedroia God in a disguise?  That is the way he his treated.

1)  His numbers this year are way below his norm.  Just as much as most other players on the team.  Batting only .270+, only 9 HR.  That is horrible for him.  Yet, we never hear a word about him.  We only hear about Lester and Becket.  Gonzalez' lack of power.  How Aviles shouldn't be our SS.  Crawford.   Everything and anything realted to Valentine.

But, NEVER ANYTHING about Pedi despite his very poor numbers this year as well.

2)  As bad as we are this year, I don't see this team as a "lazy team".  Most of the guys I see hustle and show they really care and have an attitude that they really want to win.  "They show up every night too".   Salty, Ross, Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, Ellsbury (maybe too much with last night running mistake), Papi.   Even Lester, as poor as he has been, you can see real frustration with him in wanting to do better.

Do you think Carafado would have written the samething if say Ross got a single in the 9th?  Why not?  He hs shown great attitude and hustle and his numbers are better than Pedi's with less AB's.   But, you would never hear a statement like that about someone like Ross.  Only PEDI.

3)  The snitch (which I think this entire story is stupid to begin with, but to prove a point....)  when they thought it was Youk, the story carried on for weeks about it maybe being him.  Recently, when word came out that it may have been Pedi, it was dropped like a bad habit.

4)  As well documented, his atttiude and words at the begining of the season about "how we do things around here" were never addressed.  There was a never a fine, or even a public apology by Pedi.  If there was an apology, he should have made it public.  His comment was made public.  But, no way !!  For he is Dustin Pedroia !!

He is also regarded by many as being the only "untouchable/untradeable" on the team.

Yes, he is good and I am glad that we have him.  But, the way he is treated by both the fans and the media, despite having just a poor of season as the others, and acting like he is really "IT", it is hard not to be buidling a "sour taste" towards him a little bit.  Wake up fans and media, he has been just as much of the problem this year as many of the other players.   But, you would never know it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia

I love Pedroia and think his defense makes up for his offense. But to answer your question...he's not from Texas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Pedroia is our best trade material in the off season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia:
    [QUOTE]Pedroia is our best trade material in the off season. 
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for a trade Pedroia post. That pretty much means we've covered the entire team. Unbelievable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

But, Carfado's statement in last night game summary "as usual, one person came to play, Pedroia who got a single in the 9th", sent me over the edge.

Is Pedroia God in a disguise?  That is the way he his treated.

And you hold it against Pedroia that he plays so hard that he garners compliments?  Should he play down to the level of his teammates?  The guys that play the hardest and play the best should be treated better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Pedrioa's defense was amazing last night...that and the last inning hit is what im sure carfado was referencing..

but Kim, he IS our only legit trade bait for a top caliber pitcher...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I've said it for a while.

If you want a starter you have to trade one of your best players.  The Red Sox are lucky in the fact that Pedroia gets ridiculously positive press locally and nationally.

He is probably the easiest way to get more talent in return.  Someone will over pay for Pedroia.

People will sepnd all off season on this board proposing Ciriaco or Aviles be traded for a #1 starter.  It's goofy. (it happens every winter - ridiculous trade proposals.  "Let's Package Ross, Aviles, and Doubront for Cliff Lee"  - annoying stuff like that)

If you want a #1 starter you can trade Pedroia, Ellsbury, or one of the outstanding prospects.

Pedroia is the MOST likely player the Sox can ask for more than he is worth and actually get it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think trading Pedroia is realistic, but for those who think it is, the next step in the exercise is to figure out what team might match up as a trade partner.  A big-market team with a surplus of starting pitching who needs a second baseman?

Ellsbury is the more likely guy to be traded but unfortunately he's struggling so far since returning from injury.  Please boost those numbers, Jacoby.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If you look at the history of major trades, you won't find too many where one of the big pieces was a middle infielder who wasn't a big home run hitter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

HF...Pedroia could def bring an ace in a trade...whch is why i prefer offering a top prospect(s) instead....

lets keep our best player (Ok maybe not this yr) and improve our pitching

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

.275 and climbing. Seriously, with all the bums on this team this year you choose Pedroia to pick on? He's playing injured, btw.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was a big critic of Pedroia getting a free pass when Adrian was getting assaulted in here for his lack of power--(heck, I was ripping Adrian too)--and it's an offseason for him. . .But let's not make the mistake that I felt fans made on Nomar--don't turn on the hustle guys. Hustle guys are few and far between. And Dustin plays the game all-out, just like Nomar did. It creates injuries and it sometimes results in famous quotes--Nomar's "That's why no one ever wants to play here!" and Pedroia's "That might work in Japan, but that's not how we do things around here." .... Pedroia is a class act, and a super ballplayer having a rough season. But his defense never suffers and I've never seen him not run out a grounder. Hard to criticize the Pedroias in life.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

There is hardly any criticism of Pedroia.

That's why you can get more in return than he is actually worth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-How many ace pitchers have been traded over the last 10 years?

2-How many of those traded were not on the cusp of free agency?

3-Of the small handful that were traded and not in thier option year, how many were traded for veterans.

4-And how many of those worled out well?

The answer is essentially -0-.  We can get a 1/2 type from teams that have small payrolls, and want to cash in on the SPs value before he gets too expensive.  But they always want young talent in return.

I do not remember an ace ever being traded where the centerpiece was a veteran.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

I agree that he's treated like a saint and that he reeks of arrogance. But, so what? If baseball teams were stripped of players who are stupid or obnoxious every clubhouse would be empty. This is not the guy to trade. No matter who you get, it isn't equal value. As valuable as a real ace can be, they only play about 20% of the time.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Agon is our superstar, he comes to play every day, and hasn't missed a ton of time like PD.   PD is great, he is a leader, I have his bobble-head on my living room entertainment center.   But he is not as good as he gets credit for.  

He is trade bait, he could be part of a deal that gets King Felix finally.  But honestly, he is BOSTON and will always be a Red Sox.   We are lucky to have him.

Agon saves at least 2 wild throws from the infield a game.  Avilles soemhow plays short and has the aim of a right fielder throwing to home.   Agon is the star, he doesn't have to swear, of kick over gatoraide, or get ejected to be the best.

He just plays the game, hits guys in scoring position in at the best clip in the league, and plays gold glove 1st base (don't forget right field).

The media loves PD, but can PD get over Francona being tossed?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

As much as I hate the label, I will sue it.

ACe pitchers are NOT traded for MLB players with multiple years experience; they are traded or prospects or very young players.  If a team is giving up their best pitcher, why on EArth would they want a short tem MLB soltuion at another position?  Dealing an Ace means "rebuilding."  Who was the alst TOR starting pitcher not dealt fora significant prosepct package?  Greinke?  No, lways prospects.  Lee?  Halladay? Oswalt? Propsects, prospects, prospects, and more prosects (as Lee has been traded alot).

To get an ace, you weill have to give up a package you don't want to.  If you are comofrtable with what you are giving up, it isn't enough.

And Ciriaco is worthless in trade talks, though I agree with SG and expect his frequent inclusion..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

If Notin is right that veteran position players do not get you an ace - and I have no reason to not accept his assertion - then it is no longer an option to trade ellsbury for a top starter.

Pedroia is exactly 25 days older than Ellsbury

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

pedrioa and a prospect would get you a very good pitcher...his contract is friendly, he is fairly young, and his cache is huge...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

No one is trading an ace pitcher for a second baseman. No one is trading an ace pitcher for a second baseman and a prospect. The only teams that trade ace pitches are looking for top prospects and a lot of them, not veteran second basemen, no matter how reasonably they're signed. Face it folks, we're not getting an ace this offseason. We're not getting one for Pedroia. We're not getting one for Ellsbury. We're not emptying out the farm for one (nor should we). We're not signing Greinke (nor should we). We not getting one from our own farm, as the only potential one down there is two years away (Barnes). The truth is, the only way we have an ace next year is if one of the FOUR guys we're currently paying like one actually produces like one. Yeah, I don't like the odds, either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: A sour taste towards Pedroia:
    [QUOTE]pedrioa and a prospect would get you a very good pitcher...his contract is friendly, he is fairly young, and his cache is huge...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Who's the trade partner though...you have to answer that.