A Sox-Yankees September classic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A Sox-Yankees September classic

This one reminded of times in the past when the Sox were out of it but still played tough in Yankee Stadium despite bad breaks.  More twists and turns than the sante fe trail.  

I got mad early at peavy, but still think he is a good and gutsy addition.  The sox lineup was downright amazing early and late.  I told a friend and Yankee fan that the Yankees have the better bullpen, but the sox have the better closer.  Uehara is just amazing, but Breslow wasn't half bad either.  Rivera definitely picked the right year to retire.  Before Napoli and Drew, Ortiz smacked that ball hard.  

Berry has got to be on the postseason roster.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: A Sox-Yankees September classic

Spot on

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

This one reminded of times in the past when the Sox were out of it but still played tough in Yankee Stadium despite bad breaks.  More twists and turns than the sante fe trail.  

I got mad early at peavy, but still think he is a good and gutsy addition.  The sox lineup was downright amazing early and late.  I told a friend and Yankee fan that the Yankees have the better bullpen, but the sox have the better closer.  Uehara is just amazing, but Breslow wasn't half bad either.  Rivera definitely picked the right year to retire.  Before Napoli and Drew, Ortiz smacked that ball hard.  

Berry has got to be on the postseason roster.  

I like Berry on the postseason roster too, Max.    They'd be down to 11 pitchers though with quite a surplus in the outfield.  Too bad he isn't an infielder.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Berry = Roberts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Question to the Yankees fans (or all i guess)...

what is more devastating/heart breaking?

losing 7-2?

or coming all the way back, blowing the game with 1 strike to go, and losing in extras?

personally i think the carry over for the yankees is marginalized.  however, if Mo closes that game out there is serious negative vibes in the Nation.  now, there is absolutely zero pressure on the Sox the rest of this series.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Pressure?  There's no pressure on the Sox now and lots of it on the Yankees.  The Y's simply cannot split this 4-game series if they have any intention of catching the Sox.  Time is running out for them. 

It kind of brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?  Smile

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

losing 7-2?

or coming all the way back, blowing the game with 1 strike to go, and losing in extras?

sure it stung but

far from devastating or heart breaking

I look at like U blew a a 5 run lead

and we blew a 1 run lead

personally i think the carry over for the yankees is marginalized. 

agreed, W or L the pressure on nyy to win tonight would be the same

however, if Mo closes that game out there is serious negative vibes in the Nation.  now, there is absolutely zero pressure on the Sox the rest of this series.....

pressure on the Sox ?

didn't think there was any on the sox

other than

it's sept and 2011 team stilll had a better record at this point ;-)

thanks 4 asking slash

I hope this helps

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Uehara has a 26-inning scoreless streak over 23 games.   Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

losing 7-2?

far from devastating or heart breaking

I look at like U blew a a 5 run lead

and we blew a 1 run lead

personally i think the carry over for the yankees is marginalized. 

agreed, W or L the pressure on nyy to win tonight would be the same

however, if Mo closes that game out there is serious negative vibes in the Nation.  now, there is absolutely zero pressure on the Sox the rest of this series.....

pressure on the Sox ?

didn't think there was any on the sox

other than

it's sept and 2011 team stilll had a better record at this point ;-)

thanks 4 asking slash

I hope this helps

I can't agree with that at all.  Last night's loss took away any margin for error that may have been there before.  Now the Y's HAVE to take all three of the remaining games.  That is, unless the Y's have given up on winning the division and are concentrating on the 2nd WC spot now.

The Sox comeback was also a HUGE momentum swing in favor of  the Sox.  Without that comeback it begins to look like "business as usual in September", with the Y's owning the Sox in big games with big comebacks.  At the worst the Sox have negated that momentum and may have even swung it a bit in their favor. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Good news for Yankees fans:  Both the Rays and A's (to Houston of all teams) lost last night.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

That is, unless the Y's have given up on winning the division and are concentrating on the 2nd WC spot now.

yea S5 that's where I was coming from

not that I would expect anyone on the team to admit to that B4 the game

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A couple more comments.  That throw by Suzuki in the 10th was just unreal.  Ellsbury, probably the fastest Red Sox player ever, was going at contact, and would have been out if the catcher fields it cleanly.  Suzuki had to run to his right front and then throw--strong and accurate.  I despise ARod, but I think he challenged that ruling just so he could play some more baseball--think shoeless joe jackson in the field of dreams.  It is, after all, a great game to play, especially in September in Yankee Stadium against the upstart Red Sox. 

I was a little harsh on Rivera, a great gentleman and the best closer ever.  But I stand by my point on another thread that against Napoli you can't just throw fastballs and cut fastballs.  Last night he really needed a curve or slider, but with two outs and no one on, who could possibly blame him for going with his best pitches? 

Great pickoff to get Ellsbury earlier in the game.  He was definitely leaning toward second when the throw was made. 

As much as I miss Iglesias and I really do, if he was still here, Middlebrooks would be in Pawtucket or sitting in the dugout.  After that big hit in game two against the Tigers, WMB said he was looking for a slider and told himself not to try to do too much with it, just go back up the middle.  Now that is a youngish player who has benefitted from tough times. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Nice win for the Sox, huge loss for the Yanks, with Tampa losing. With Tampa playing outside the Division, its almost like gaining a half-game, with games left to play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

losing 7-2?

personally i think the carry over for the yankees is marginalized.  however, if Mo closes that game out there is serious negative vibes in the Nation.  now, there is absolutely zero pressure on the Sox the rest of this series.....

Anyone would rather losing 7-2. I know I would.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

This is a never say die hard Yankee fan pretending to be a keep it real fan holding Sox fans to a "keep it real" regime -- add to that on their OWN board! I hope everyone who supports his "keep it real" regime here remembers this post. Incredible, but there are still Sox fans who just don't get it.

speaking of  Sox fans who just don't get it

I was responding to a question  from slash to nyyfan '' on their OWN board''

which was asked & answered it the spirit of good ole yankee/ sox trash talk fun

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Uehara has a 26-inning scoreless streak over 23 games.   Laughing

Positively Mo-like, isn't it?

By the way, everytime I see your avatar, I want to say "You got a lot of problems."  I assume you get that reference?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Some good observations here IMO; however, I don't agree with Kim's critique on pinstripezac, who I've seen in the past congratulate RS posters on RS wins this season, which to me at least seemed genuine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

gotta say, despite the outcome(ouch!!Tongue Out) this was one of those long ones i didn't mind staying up for..thank God it wasn't sunday tho Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

losing 7-2?

Morning Slash, for me given the stakes, they hurt equally the 7-2 because you stumbled in a big spot, but one might take a half full/half empty approach to a game you came back  in and lost in extras, tho it also hurts knowing you were in postion to win but shot yourself in the foot...but hey, sometimes the other team gets a say in it..like my Dad would say...sometimes...you just get beat..  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

I Morning Slash, for me given the stakes, they hurt equally the 7-2 because you stumbled in a big spot, but one might take a half full/half empty approach to a game you came back  in and lost in extras, tho it also hurts knowing you were in postion to win but shot yourself in the foot...but hey, sometimes the other team gets a say in it..like my Dad would say...sometimes...you just get beat..  

I hear you.  an L is an L.  but due to 2011 and teh "rivalry" the mental psyche of the Sox players may have been very different today had they L last night.
    would have been interesting to see how the Sox players responded in tonights game had they lost last night.  but alas, now they can simply relax....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

I Morning Slash, for me given the stakes, they hurt equally the 7-2 because you stumbled in a big spot, but one might take a half full/half empty approach to a game you came back  in and lost in extras, tho it also hurts knowing you were in postion to win but shot yourself in the foot...but hey, sometimes the other team gets a say in it..like my Dad would say...sometimes...you just get beat..  

I hear you.  an L is an L.  but due to 2011 and teh "rivalry" the mental psyche of the Sox players may have been very different today had they L last night.
    would have been interesting to see how the Sox players responded in tonights game had they lost last night.  but alas, now they can simply relax....

Don't think so; that was a different yr; this team has a different mindset. If they lost last night, there would have been little carryover; they're largely unflappable IMO. Besides, the game meant more to the NYY than them. They also have a great approach on both sides of the ball. Right now, they seem tougher to beat than even Det & LAD.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

speaking of  Sox fans who just don't get it

I was responding to a question  from slash to nyyfan '' on their OWN board''

which was asked & answered it the spirit of good ole yankee/ sox trash talk fun

Oh. So if your not being real it's just "trash talk". Wish the posters on this board were permitted their real Yankee trash talk because I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, those posts are deleted here or you hammer them into the ground.

what was unreal about my post

Don't even get me started on how posters have to "keep it real" here and not root for their team unless they are winning. IMO You and your ilk make this board a place where it's impossible to just be a fan. We don't owe you any explanations.

don't get you started ?

LOL

when have you ever stopped ?

Sections
Shortcuts