A trade proposal: Lackey for Zito

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

A trade proposal: Lackey for Zito

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

John Lackey is 32 and has approximately $53.38 million remaining on the final 3.5 years of his contract.

Barry Zito is 33 and has $55.25 million remaining on the final 3.5 years of his deal.

You see where I'm going with this?

Trade Lackey for Zito straight up. Trade one problem pitcher for another.

Lackey returns to California and the forgiving embrace of the National League, Zito returns to the American League and pitching coach Curt Young, who had him in Oakland from 2004-06.

Each team assumes some risk. Lackey obviously has some sort of elbow problem. Zito has never played outside the Bay Area and Boston isn't exactly the mellow capital of the Western Hemisphere.

Zito has a full no-trade clause but might waive it for the chance to matter again.

It's probably crazy and the Giants might even prefer to keep Zito given Lackey's elbow. But it's not totally crazy, is it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: A trade proposal: Lackey for Zito

If it's obvious that Lackey has elbow problems, isn't there something the Sox can do to force the TJ clause in the contract?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

i would accept a bag of balls and used catcher's equipment for SLACKEY.
    also, you could throw in THEO BLUNDER if the other team doesn't want to part with the used catcher's equipment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I would prefer Tito for Zito!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Not a bad idea, but any high paid salary pitcher coming to a big market city such as NY Yankees, Boston, Chicago Cubs, etc, most have failed.  I do not know why Zito cant pitch in San Fransico.  

Agree with one of the poster that Boston have already too many starting lefties. 

Also agree with another poster that Lackey do have a contract saying if he have injury problem, Boston can void his contract.   But it isnt true, here is copy and paste from an article regarding to Lackey's clause:  "That’s why the Red Sox have a clause in his contract that says Lackey must give the Sox a 6th year at the MLB minimum salary if he needs TJ surgery at any point during the five-year deal. With that said though, just by the way he’s respected by his fellow pitchers, you know he’s been battled through arm issues pretty much since he signed here."     Terrible clause created by Boston!!!

Well, guess he is the worst busted pitcher that Boston have signed in  years!!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: A trade proposal: Lackey for Zito:
    [QUOTE]Not a bad idea, but any high paid salary pitcher coming to a big market city such as NY Yankees, Boston, Chicago Cubs, etc, most have failed.  I do not know why Zito cant pitch in San Fransico.   Agree with one of the poster that Boston have already too many starting lefties.  Also agree with another poster that Lackey do have a contract saying if he have injury problem, Boston can void his contract.   But it isnt true, here is copy and paste from an article regarding to Lackey's clause:  " That’s why the Red Sox have a clause in his contract that says Lackey must give the Sox a 6th year at the MLB minimum salary if he needs TJ surgery at any point during the five-year deal. With that said though, just by the way he’s respected by his fellow pitchers, you know he’s been battled through arm issues pretty much since he signed here."     Terrible clause created by Boston!!! Well, guess he is the worst busted pitcher that Boston have signed in  years!!  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Two LHPs is too many? I would like to see three. You can't have enough LHP IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I just want him gone. I don't care if he has surgery, I don't care if they trade him, release him, I don't care if he goes to the NL and wins the Cy Young, I just don't want to see this guy pitch for the Red Sox anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A trade proposal: Lackey for Zito : Two LHPs is too many? I would like to see three. You can't have enough LHP IMO.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

yes, that would be like having tudor, hurst and ojeda.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i like Zito, always have. But he is liable to implode the same way. It really doesn't matter. Deal him for Zito, if Barry does a better job, great. If he is just as bad, release him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

[QUOTE]No because we don't need another lefty starter with Miller and Lester.  This is coming from a fan who really wants Lackey to go away or have issues taking care of before he returns.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]
    Drivel. There can never be too many left-handed starters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

This would be a nice idea for the Sox except....I doubt if the Giants or any other team in baseball would want Lackey in any deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i agree. the sox have proven that if you face a slew of lefties, you can be shut down offensively

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Sox would have to eat at least half of Lackeys salary...Zito has Boras as an agent...good luck with that...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Lackey has an elbow problem and may require surgery. 

Damaged goods. Good luck getting any value for him.

He's ours.  Let's deal with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Id take anything over Lackey. Anything, ihad an argument about 2 mths ago with a guy who said Zito was a much worse signing than Lacking. Have no idea what his argument was, I mean Zitos always injured but even if Lackey was always injured we'd be better off. Hes disgusting on the mound. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to A trade proposal: Lackey for Zito:
    [QUOTE]Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff John Lackey is 32 and has approximately $53.38 million remaining on the final 3.5 years of his contract. Barry Zito is 33 and has $55.25 million remaining on the final 3.5 years of his deal. You see where I'm going with this? Trade Lackey for Zito straight up. Trade one problem pitcher for another. Lackey returns to California and the forgiving embrace of the National League, Zito returns to the American League and pitching coach Curt Young, who had him in Oakland from 2004-06. Each team assumes some risk. Lackey obviously has some sort of elbow problem. Zito has never played outside the Bay Area and Boston isn't exactly the mellow capital of the Western Hemisphere. Zito has a full no-trade clause but might waive it for the chance to matter again. It's probably crazy and the Giants might even prefer to keep Zito given Lackey's elbow. But it's not totally crazy, is it?
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

How about Lackey, Lowrie and half the Pawtucket team for Jose Reyes?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

How bout Lackey AND TITO for Zito?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Id take anything over Lackey. Anything, ihad an argument about 2 mths ago with a guy who said Zito was a much worse signing than Lacking. Have no idea what his argument was, I mean Zitos always injured but even if Lackey was always injured we'd be better off. Hes disgusting on the mound. 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

Love that pix

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So instad of numerous threads complaining about John Lackey and calling for his release, we can have numerous threads complaining about Barry Zito and calling for his release?

What an upgrade!! It will save the whiners e whole letters every time they have to type out a name!

And sadly, that is probably the only advantage to this trade.   Although I suppose there are those idiots who believe "change of scenery" is a legitimate reason for a $100mill business deal, and not more than what it really is - a last ditch rationalization....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]This would be a nice idea for the Sox except....I doubt if the Giants or any other team in baseball would want Lackey in any deal.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

As opposed to all the teams lining up for Zito, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A trade proposal: Lackey for Zito : yes, that would be like having tudor, hurst and ojeda.
    Posted by small-package[/QUOTE]

Not that it was the fault of those 3, but let's not pretend it was a recipe for success either.  The three years the Sox had the three lefties in the rotation, the team finished 5th, 3rd and 6th in the AL East...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Send Lackey to Japan for Chan Ho Park.

No MLB team wanted Park so he is now playing in Japan. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

How about Lackey, Jenks, Drew and Dice-K for Johan Santana, Bay and Frankie Rodriguez?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruce1720. Show Bruce1720's posts

Zito has been pitching well lately, and the giants have too many starters.  If they were to trade Zito (or more likely, Sanchez), it would be for a postion player with some pop--their hitting is woeful.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]How about Lackey, Jenks, Drew and Dice-K for Johan Santana, Bay and Frankie Rodriguez?
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

You forgot to get Reyes too !!