A tribute to men who served on the USS Higbee (DD/DDR-806) this Memorial Day weekend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayLenoTonight. Show JayLenoTonight's posts

A tribute to men who served on the USS Higbee (DD/DDR-806) this Memorial Day weekend

Thank you to all who gave their lives to preserve freedom in this great country.

There have been countless stories of bravery during our countries' history. One such story that I would like to point out is the outstanding contribution of the men who served on the USS Higbee (DD/DDR-806), a destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. 

She was the first US warship named for a female member of the U.S. Navy,  being named for Chief Nurse Lenah S. Higbee, a pioneering Navy nurse who served as Superintendent of the U.S. Navy Nurse Corps during World War I.

Higbee was launched 13 November 1944 by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine.

Higbee immediately sailed to Boston, where she was converted to a radar picket destroyer. After shakedown in the Caribbean, she sailed for the Pacific on 24 May, joining Carrier Task Force 38 less than 400 miles from Tokyo Bay on 19 July. "Leaping Lenah", as she had been dubbed by her crew, screened the carriers as their planes launched heavy air attacks against the Japanese mainland until the end of hostilities on 15 August. She helped clear Japanese mine fields and supported the occupation forces for the following seven months, finally returning to San Diego on 11 April 1946.

As we celebrate Memorial Day, I will always remember those brave men and women who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: A tribute to men who served on the USS Higbee (DD/DDR-806) this Memorial Day weekend

I'll forever be grateful...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: A tribute to men who served on the USS Higbee (DD/DDR-806) this Memorial Day weekend

Very well said, thank you.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

2004Idiots is Memorial Day for servicemen or boats? Sounds like a boat tribute to me.

What are you talking about??  Did you read the entire initial post?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Moderators.  Either DLetteramn or JayLeno needs to be canceled. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

YES, I was proud to have served on the 806.......  With TEARS in my EYES, I thank you for your creative post here !!!!  "The love afair between a sailor & his SHIP" !!!  Full speed ahead !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayLenoTonight. Show JayLenoTonight's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

YES, I was proud to have served on the 806.......  With TEARS in my EYES, I thank you for your creative post here !!!!  "The love afair between a sailor & his SHIP" !!!  Full speed ahead !!

Thank you for your service to our country.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Moderators.  Either DLetteramn or JayLeno needs to be canceled. 

.. and bring back Mr Spock

1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Thanks 806......

Dad & Bill........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Thanks 806......

Dad & Bill........

Your a good sport !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

this ship was a chick?

yES, AT THE TIME IT WAS THE ONLY ONE evaa  !!!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to JayLenoTonight's comment:

Thank you to all who gave their lives to preserve freedom in this great country.

There have been countless stories of bravery during our countries' history. One such story that I would like to point out is the outstanding contribution of the men who served on the USS Higbee (DD/DDR-806), a destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. 

She was the first US warship named for a female member of the U.S. Navy,  being named for Chief Nurse Lenah S. Higbee, a pioneering Navy nurse who served as Superintendent of the U.S. Navy Nurse Corps during World War I.

Higbee immediately sailed to Boston, where she was converted to a radar picket destroyer. After shakedown in the Caribbean, she sailed for the Pacific on 24 May, joining Carrier Task Force 38 less than 400 miles from Tokyo Bay on 19 July. "Leaping Lenah", as she had been dubbed by her crew, screened the carriers as their planes launched heavy air attacks against the Japanese mainland until the end of hostilities on 15 August. She helped clear Japanese mine fields and supported the occupation forces for the following seven months, finally returning to San Diego on 11 April 1946.

As we celebrate Memorial Day, I will always remember those brave men and women who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. 

BTW, in 1972 she became the only (I THINK) ship in the Viet-Nam war to take a hit from a MIG jet fighter who dropped a bomb on HER after gun-mount..... Headlines said "FANTASTIC EFFORT SAVES DESTROYER"  !!!!  My thanks & heart goes out to the crew of sailors & officers that brought "HIGBEE" thru that time to safty & to sail again..........  Decommissioned 1979ish, and sunk as a target ship off of the California coast in the early 1980's.........  Great job, MEN !!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwaymike33. Show fenwaymike33's posts

Great post!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to fenwaymike33's comment:

Great post!!!

Thanks......  And a big Thank You to JAYLENO for being so creative here !!!!