A wedge appears to be forming between Bobby Valentine and general manager Ben Cherington-Power struggle may weaken Sox right off the bat

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Re: A wedge appears to be forming between Bobby Valentine and general manager Ben Cherington-Power struggle may weaken Sox ri...

It would be my guess that many people saw this kind of story coming even before he was officially hired.  I just seems to me that the RS have become a little more transparent than in years past.  Just like every year winning will fix this and it will become a non issue until the RS aren't winning. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: A wedge appears to be forming between Bobby Valentine and general manager Ben Cherington-Power struggle may weaken Sox ri...

In Response to Re: A wedge appears to be forming between Bobby Valentine and general manager Ben Cherington-Power struggle may weaken Sox right off the bat:
    [QUOTE]It would be my guess that many people saw this kind of story coming even before he was officially hired.  I just seems to me that the RS have become a little more transparent than in years past.  Just like every year winning will fix this and it will become a non issue until the RS aren't winning. 
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

Theo and Tito controlled the press perfectly.  There could be a fistfight behind the podium and T&T would tell the press that they were imagining it.

I have no problems with fighting.  It is how you resolve the fight that matters.

You hear that BV doesn't like Bard starting, then you hear BV complaining to the press that Bard didn't throw enough changeups, instead of simply telling Bard to throw more changeups, and you wonder if BV is purposely undermining Bard's attempt at cracking the rotation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Joe, maybe Bard should just listen to his manager and throw more changeups because that will make him a better pitcher?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Here we go..........the media smells the meat!

From the get go there seemed to be potential for conflict between Bobby V and the new GM for the numerous reasons indicated in Gaspar's article and elsewhere, previously.

Conflict can, however be healthy if kept in check.  IF there's conflict brewing here, then let's leave well enough alone and let them work it out as professionals.

I truly thought it would be a bit longer until we got an article like this.  Good for you, Chris.  A needless, unsurprising situation "exposed by you", if true, makes for resume fodder.

A rift because of how to use Iglesias and Bard?  This is just one of many potential conflicts throught the season. Grow up, everyone.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to A wedge appears to be forming between Bobby Valentine and general manager Ben Cherington-Power struggle may weaken Sox right off the bat:
    [QUOTE]Power struggle
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

If Bobby goes too far I don't think management will hesitate to put him in his place.  On this, I agree and disagree with Bobby but would at least like to see Bard have a few starts this season before passing judgement, or possibly shaking his confidence any further.  If Iggy isn't ready I have absolutely no problem giving Aviles the job for now.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: A wedge appears to be forming between Bobby Valentine and general manager Ben Cherington-Power struggle may weaken Sox right off the bat:
    [QUOTE]It would be my guess that many people saw this kind of story coming even before he was officially hired.  I just seems to me that the RS have become a little more transparent than in years past.  Just like every year winning will fix this and it will become a non issue until the RS aren't winning. 
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

Or it IS an issue until they START winning.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Joe, maybe Bard should just listen to his manager and throw more changeups because that will make him a better pitcher?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

BV says he hasn't spoken to him in over a week.  Maybe he should tell him to throw more changeups.

And if BV told him to throw more chageups, and Bard refused, BV should sit him down.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Bobby V. will manage every day to win games, innings ....... Tito (with the front office) managed games to "keep the line moving" as well as to manage the schedule.   As dad would say....... "Son, let's win today & deal with tomorrow, tomorrow" !!!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

So we start Beckett every single game and bring Bailey in every single game?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

Bobby knows what he is talking about....there is nothing that will make a team short circuit quicker then poor defense and blown leads by the bullpen.

Boston will have no problem scoring runs so Inglesias bat has time to develop.  His defense will save more runs than Aviles can put on the scoreboard.  Let us not forget when Pedroia came up he was batting under .200 the first few months of the season and people thought he was not ready, but Francona believed in him, and the rest is history.

Bard had struggled this spring as a starter, while Aceves has flourished as a starter (a position he has been in before, and WANTS.  Melancon and Bailey have given no confidence, Bard would be a more valuable in the  back end of the bull pen.  Aceves is much more valuable as a starter than long relief man, a role Aaron Cook can fill in nicely.

Doubront will be a fine pitcher as a #5....but let us not forget the Matsuzaka will be back by June-July and they will have to find a spot for him somewhere.  Knowing our luck as BoSox fans he will have his best year, causing management to have to decided whether or not to give me a contract extention.

Having a good start is imperatrive for the Sox...ad that is what Bobby V is trying to do!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

To me this is the first of many, many articles written by the Boston Media regarding Valentine vs. Whomever in an attempt to "sell" papers and website clicks. I don't blame the media, as Valentine is golden in terms of delivering a multitude of topics to write about. What is the over-under on the first article regarding Valentine vs. Beckett? I say by the end of April.

Now in terms of the Iggy starting at SS and Bard being a SP or 8th inning RP, IMO Iggy should start and Bard should be sent to the BP. My rationale is that Iggy will save runs with his defense, he needs to learn how to hit MLB pitching and he can't do that in AAA and we need to find out right now if he is the answer at SS. Bard is clearly not a Starting Pitcher. He only has two pitches!! Not to mention his poor performance in the minors and this spring starting.

Power. If the the question is who will win a power struggle between BC and BV, I'll take BV as the winner. Why? He has LL's support at a level higher than BC's.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to A wedge appears to be forming between Bobby Valentine and general manager Ben Cherington-Power struggle may weaken Sox right off the bat : If Bobby goes too far I don't think management will hesitate to put him in his place.  On this, I agree and disagree with Bobby but would at least like to see Bard have a few starts this season before passing judgement, or possibly shaking his confidence any further.  If Iggy isn't ready I have absolutely no problem giving Aviles the job for now.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

The disagreement isn't over Iggy being "ready" or not. I'm pretty sure Bobby V knows Iggy might hit .180: he still prefers Iggy and his superior fidelding over a .280 Aviles. It's a philosophical difference not a readiness difference.

Bard had great confidence as a set-up man. To me, moving him to starter is what is jeopardizing his confidence.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Bobby knows what he is talking about....there is nothing that will make a team short circuit quicker then poor defense and blown leads by the bullpen.

Agree.

Boston will have no problem scoring runs so Inglesias bat has time to develop.  His defense will save more runs than Aviles can put on the scoreboard.  Let us not forget when Pedroia came up he was batting under .200 the first few months of the season and people thought he was not ready, but Francona believed in him, and the rest is history.

It all depends on how the rest of the bottom of the lineups is doing. If Salty-Ross-Sweeney (until Crawford is ready), are doing the job, then having a .230 hitter at No. 9 might not be a problem. But can Iggy hit .230? This is the A.L. and you can't have a batter hitting worse than an N.L. pitcher in the No. 9 hole no matter how good his defense is or how good the rest of the offense. Aviles isn't exactly a butcher at SS. There's still no need to rush the kid. Another year in the minors might be the best thing for everyone in the long term. And the Pedroia example is a BAD comparison. Pedroia had proven in the minors he could hit. That is why Francona stuck with him. Iggy has yet to prove he can hit in the minors.

Bard had struggled this spring as a starter, while Aceves has flourished as a starter (a position he has been in before, and WANTS.  Melancon and Bailey have given no confidence, Bard would be a more valuable in the  back end of the bull pen.  Aceves is much more valuable as a starter than long relief man, a role Aaron Cook can fill in nicely.

This might be the best scenario. Bard struggled in the minors as a starter. I would give him a bit more time. Move Aceves out of the bullpen for Cook might be best, but Aceves was so valuable last year, I'd hate to lose him. Aceves has hardly flourished as a starter. He has a 4.18 ERA in just nine career starts. Hardly a large sample, but also it's a stretch to say he has flourished. If the choice is Aceves as a mediocre starter or excelling in the bullpen like last year, I say keep him in the bullpen. If Bard doesn't work out -- and I fear he won't -- but him in the bullpen too and try to find another starter.

Doubront will be a fine pitcher as a #5....but let us not forget the Matsuzaka will be back by June-July and they will have to find a spot for him somewhere.  Knowing our luck as BoSox fans he will have his best year, causing management to have to decided whether or not to give me a contract extention.

I hope Doubront is fine as the No. 5. He has yet to prove he can consistently do the job in the majors. He's been hurt a lot. Had he came to camp in shape last year, he might have been the answer when DiceK went down. What the Wake bashers failed to admit last year is that Francona was forced to go to Wake because the supposedly young and hungry prospect was acting like a Fat Cat and not working hard enough. Hopefully, he's matured and is ready now. I hope DiceK is ready by midseason. That will be a nice addition.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Bobby knows what he is talking about....there is nothing that will make a team short circuit quicker then poor defense and blown leads by the bullpen. Boston will have no problem scoring runs so Inglesias bat has time to develop.  His defense will save more runs than Aviles can put on the scoreboard.  Let us not forget when Pedroia came up he was batting under .200 the first few months of the season and people thought he was not ready, but Francona believed in him, and the rest is history. Bard had struggled this spring as a starter, while Aceves has flourished as a starter (a position he has been in before, and WANTS.  Melancon and Bailey have given no confidence, Bard would be a more valuable in the  back end of the bull pen.  Aceves is much more valuable as a starter than long relief man, a role Aaron Cook can fill in nicely. Doubront will be a fine pitcher as a #5....but let us not forget the Matsuzaka will be back by June-July and they will have to find a spot for him somewhere.  Knowing our luck as BoSox fans he will have his best year, causing management to have to decided whether or not to give me a contract extention. Having a good start is imperatrive for the Sox...ad that is what Bobby V is trying to do!!!
    Posted by sox4life2280[/QUOTE]

At least learn how to spell his name.

And exactly how many runs do you think he will save over the other SS's? I think you guys put too much stock in this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Everyone has a job description. Setting the lineup is the manager's job. Valentine should have the say here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]  OBTW........  Iggy at short, Bard & Aceves back in the pen, Avillies in left/right, & Doubront & whoever at the 4 & 5 spots !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    I really hope you don't have high hopes for Doubront.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts