A week later

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

A week later

As our skipper said, this team hit rock bottom a week ago. And if you'd have told me we'd be .500 only a week later, I'd have suggested you get fitted for a straight jacket.

Hat's off to all -- the hitters, the defense, and most of all the bullpen. Something like 1 ER in 16 2/3 innings ... I'll most definitely take that.

And hat's off to Valentine, whose hiring I opposed and who I only hope will prove me wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: A week later

What an unexpected turn around, how nice it is!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I sure as heck didn't see this coming.  I thought the Sox could win the Twins series, 2-1, and hoped they could split this one. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to A week later:
    [QUOTE]As our skipper said, this team hit rock bottom a week ago. And if you'd have told me we'd be .500 only a week later, I'd have suggested you get fitted for a straight jacket. Hat's off to all -- the hitters, the defense, and most of all the bullpen. Something like 1 ER in 16 2/3 innings ... I'll most definitely take that. And hat's off to Valentine, whose hiring I opposed and who I only hope will prove me wrong.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Its been a very similar start to last season Lloyd.  Lets hope this time our pitching gets better and stays healthy.  We have some nice balance from the R and L side since bringing Byrd in.  A new start means a lot for some players and our division may bring out the best in him before its all said and done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: A week later:
    [QUOTE]I sure as heck didn't see this coming.  I thought the Sox could win the Twins series, 2-1, and hoped they could split this one. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

After that 15 run debacle against the Yanks, no one did.

Pretty resilient.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A week later : After that 15 run debacle against the Yanks, no one did. Pretty resilient.
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]
    No one on the team panicked. Valentine didn't raise the roof. He went around and talked to players about "hitting bottom" meaning, "I expect we'll be going up." In his own style, he sort of behaved as Terry did when the Sox were down 0 and 3 to the Yanks in 2004.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Hat's off to all -- the hitters, the defense, and most of all the bullpen. Something like 1 ER in 16 2/3 innings ... I'll most definitely take that. And hat's off to Valentine, whose hiring I opposed and who I only hope will prove me wrong.

It certainly helps when you take a guy out of the pen who has a 49.50 ERA and send him to AAA (where he's been dominant btw).  The entire opening day pen could turn over before the years out if Aceves finds himself starting late in the year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

If Aceves is going to pitch  97 miles an hour when he closes then that is a good sign. Nice post Llloyd, I expected the Sox to win some games this year but a win streak like this impresses me and deserves commendation. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I almost wonder if BV really knew what he was doing when he called out Youk.  This team is all of a sudden inspired.  Works for me no matter what the reason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]As our skipper said, this team hit rock bottom a week ago. And if you'd have told me we'd be .500 only a week later, I'd have suggested you get fitted for a straight jacket. Hat's off to all -- the hitters, the defense, and most of all the bullpen. Something like 1 ER in 16 2/3 innings ... I'll most definitely take that. And hat's off to Valentine, whose hiring I opposed and who I only hope will prove me wrong.

Lloyd,

Ya beat me to it.  Congrats to you and the Sox.  Heck, congrats to us!  We'rre all smiling now - with the possible exception of those who never do.

The Lord made the universe in 6 days, the Sox saved the season in six days.  At least one of those 6 days is literal 24 hour periods.

And all is good.  The sixth day was very good!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A week later : No one on the team panicked. Valentine didn't raise the roof. He went around and talked to players about "hitting bottom" meaning, "I expect we'll be going up." In his own style, he sort of behaved as Terry did when the Sox were down 0 and 3 to the Yanks in 2004.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

And "Mr. Confrontation" was joking with them when things were dark.  Hmmmm.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Let's put it in perspective - we aren't exactly beating up on MLB's elite teams here.

Having said that, it does appear that BV has settled things down (in just a single week) and for that, you gotta give him credit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Let's put it in perspective - we aren't exactly beating up on MLB's elite teams here. Having said that, it does appear that BV has settled things down (in just a single week) and for that, you gotta give him credit.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    There's always some guy who whizzes in the punch bowl. (Just kidding, Andrew ... though I knew a guy who did that once).

No, the Twins and White Sox aren't among the elite. But both began the week with a better record than us. The Twins took two of three in Yankee Stadium and at home to the Angels. The White Sox took two of three from Detroit.

And given where we were, winning six in a row on the road is huge, I don't care who they came against.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I almost wonder if BV really knew what he was doing when he called out Youk.  This team is all of a sudden inspired.  Works for me no matter what the reason.
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]
    Except that Valentine's comment came after the Sox had won three in a row at home vs. TB. After the comment, and the excrement storm, the Sox lost five in a row.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A week later : There's always some guy whizzes in the punch bowl. (Just kidding, Andrew ... though I knew a guy who did that once). No, the Twins and White Sox aren't among the elite. But both began the week with a better record than us. The Twins took two of three in Yankee Stadium and at home to the Angels. The White Sox took two of three from Detroit. And given where we were, winning six in a row on the road is huge, I don't care who they came against.

What teams DIDN'T have a better record than us a week ago?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A week later : What teams DIDN'T have a better record than us a week ago?
    The Charlotte Bobcats?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Let's put it in perspective - we aren't exactly beating up on MLB's elite teams here. Having said that, it does appear that BV has settled things down (in just a single week) and for that, you gotta give him credit.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Fess up andrew. Are you really Tony Massarotti in disguise?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I always thought he was CHB...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

See the problem with getting off to a poor start now?  You're are always playing catch-up.  Even w/ winning 5 in a row we are sub 500.  What do we need to do to get and keep over the hump?  Well we need to win at least 3 in a row now and then avoid losing streaks.  Could be a tad too much to ask for given we just had about as great a road trip as possible.  You could only ask so much given their pitching is very not good.......and you know who pitches tomorrow....That suggests we would need to then win 4 in a row after Buck get his start.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

and half a week later?

losing 3 straight and 2 of 3 at HOME to the "Triple A's"?

this is why getting off to a good start is so important.

we are still struggling just to get to 500 let alone get over the hump and STAY there.......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

this is a very complacent view....get to 1 game under .500 in late April and you want to congratulate everyone? 

that start was once again pathetic and they are no wheres near out of the woods yet

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

11-13

lose 2 of 3 from Baltimore

now they're 12-15 and own the basement

then go to KC for 3 and this isn't your father's KC anymore

then pretty soon have to face some really good pitching - Cleveland, King Felix, the Phillies.......get off to a slow start and it's always playing catch-up.......just to get to a mere .500 and get out of the cellar.......When was the last time the Sox were in the Cellar in Mid-May?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to A week later : this is a very complacent view....get to 1 game under .500 in late April and you want to congratulate everyone?  that start was once again pathetic and they are no wheres near out of the woods yet
    Interesting you didn't say that at the time.
    Mitch, this post was started five days ago when the Sox appeared to be turning things around. Since then, they have looked like crap against the A's. Forgive me for being a little encouraged by their road trip.