AAA and AA on Opening Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AAA and AA on Opening Day

Assuming we pick up a LH'd hitting 1B/OF'er, someone from the pen is put on the DL to avoid being traded or cut, and Kalish & Tazawa are the odd men out, here is how our AAA and AA teams may begin the season:

(Using soxprospects.com as a guide)

AAA                      AA

C    Lava/Butler             Vazquez/Ibarra

1B Gomez/Hamilton     T Shaw/Hedman

2B Holt                             Meneses

3B Sutton                         Vitek

SS Iggy                             Bogaerts

LF Hassan                        Jacobs

CF Kalish                           Bradley

RF Brentz                          Hissey/Wilkerson

DH Linares                        Almanzar

IF Henry/Diaz/Dent       Gibson

OF Hazelbaker                 (see RF)

S1 Webster                        Barnes

S2 de la Rosa                     Britton

S3 Wright                           Workman

S4 Hernandez                   Ranaudo

S5 Doyle                            Couch

R1 Bard                              A Carter

R2 Tazawa                         Kurcz

R3 Wilson                           Balcom-Miller

R4 Carpenter                     Celestino

R5 Beato                            C Martin

R6 de la Torre                    P Ruiz

R7 Godfrey                         Jones/Kaminska

I got to think these two teams are going to be very very strong this year.

Then, below AA, we have some impressive prospects:

#7 Cecchini

#8 Swihart

#9 Owens

13 Marrero

14 B Johnson

18 de la Cruz

20 Vinicio

21 Light

22 Buttrey

23 Margot

24 Montas

29 Kukuk

30 Lin

....and more....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: AAA and AA on Opening Day

I think the arms in the org are high quality and quantity. Really, really impressed with the pitching that the RS have acrued. Including Morales and Doubrant to the current list even though they are with the RS...gives the RS 12-14 legit arms that could be pitching(or already are) in the big leagues. RS should be able to turn this inventory into a playoff rotation for years to come, and still have arms to deal if the need arises. Coupled in with the lack of big ticket contracts going forward, means the RS can sign any of these arms regardless of cost long term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think the arms in the org are high quality and quantity. Really, really impressed with the pitching that the RS have acrued. Including Morales and Doubrant to the current list even though they are with the RS...gives the RS 12-14 legit arms that could be pitching(or already are) in the big leagues. RS should be able to turn this inventory into a playoff rotation for years to come, and still have arms to deal if the need arises. Coupled in with the lack of big ticket contracts going forward, means the RS can sign any of these arms regardless of cost long term.

I'm really looking forward to some of the players below AA to make a strong showing this year. 

We may lose a player or two from the official prospect list this year, but I see our farm getting better and better in the near future as the higher draft picks should help as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That Pawtucket lineup looks stacked, as does the rotation. Although I must say I don't understand the love affair with Alex Hassan. I would think Linares would be starting in left over him. This should be a make or break year for both Kolbrin Vitek and Adalberto Ibarra.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

That Pawtucket lineup looks stacked, as does the rotation. Although I must say I don't understand the love affair with Alex Hassan. I would think Linares would be starting in left over him. This should be a make or break year for both Kolbrin Vitek and Adalberto Ibarra.

theyre in love with his OBP. Hes usually in the 380-400 range

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I get the OBP skills, but he doesn't seem to bring much else to the table. How's his arm I wonder. Have you seen him play?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I get the OBP skills, but he doesn't seem to bring much else to the table. How's his arm I wonder. Have you seen him play?

He looks like a 4th OF'er/bat-off-the-bench type guy...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hard to not love .380-.400.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

his arm is plus/plus as he used to be a pitcher. he is a big kid (24 yrs old) but so far hasnt shown power flashes. Avg to below avg OF. his potential is in his hitting if he can discover some power (at his size he could)

he actually reminds me of Youk when Youk was in AAA. Of course no one expected Youk to turn into the player he did, but Hassan has the same approach at the plate. Remember Youk playing the OF and 2B when he came up? he was very below average, and that is where Hassan is in the OF at this time....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hassan:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/hassan-alex.htm

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Hassan:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/hassan-alex.htm

kind of says the same thing I did...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Lots of talent there and lots of storylines to watch for next season.

Aside from the obvious names, I'd love to see strong bounce-back seasons from Ranaudo and Jacobs.

Also, Michael Almanzar has always had potential but was slow to put it together...however, he made some strides last season and just turned 22.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Hazelbaker has speed and power--I see this as a big year for him to show he can hit for average as well.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=LF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=571757

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Good Post Moon......definitely rosters that should contend in their respective leagues, though many of these guys may see promotions during the year to the next level.

I for one would be surprised to see Daniel Bard not in the Major League BP...if he shows any of his old velocity/command in Spring Training, Farrell is going to keep him around. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Good Post Moon......definitely rosters that should contend in their respective leagues, though many of these guys may see promotions during the year to the next level.

I for one would be surprised to see Daniel Bard not in the Major League BP...if he shows any of his old velocity/command in Spring Training, Farrell is going to keep him around. 

I would not be surprised either. Bard has electric stuff. 

I just hope the starter experiment didn't mess him up for good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2013 starers:

Lester, Buch, Dempster, Lackey, Doubront, Morales, de la Rosa, Webster, Wright and maybe Aceves or Tazawa.

2013 relievers:

Hanrahan, Bailey, Uhehara, Breslow, Aceves, Tazawa, Miller, Mortensen, (Morales), Bard, Wilson, Carpenter, and Beato

That's 21 pitchers who may be helpful to the big club this season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Once they add a couple depth signings like they do every year, there should be no issue filling the hole if someone goes down. Replicating the performance of the replaced player is another story, but the depth is def there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Think this post goes to show what alot of us have been saying all along. The RS have a very good group of young playes on the way. Also explains why RS didn't want to get tied up in 4-7 yr contracts w/ FA's. Problem occurs when that young group which might have the best talent, starts making a push for AAA and AA. When players like Swihart/Cecchini/Owens/Buttrey start proving they're ready to move to AA and playes like Barnes/Britton/Raunado/Bradley/Jacobs are ready for the jump to AAA. Then Ben is going to have to make some tough decisions eating a contract or trading a guy at mlb level to make room so these guys have a place to move up to. But this is a good problem to have. Injuries something we as fans have gotten used to as RS fans will also open some spots and give these young players a chance to prove themselves. For me as a fan I get more enjoyment seeing the farm produce top talent than watching front office sign a FA. Lets hope this group is as good as advertisd. Thats what made 07 so sweet watching guys like Youk/Lester/Pedroia/Paps/Delcarmen/Ellsbury help bring home a WS title.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Think this post goes to show what alot of us have been saying all along. The RS have a very good group of young playes on the way. Also explains why RS didn't want to get tied up in 4-7 yr contracts w/ FA's. Problem occurs when that young group which might have the best talent, starts making a push for AAA and AA. When players like Swihart/Cecchini/Owens/Buttrey start proving they're ready to move to AA and playes like Barnes/Britton/Raunado/Bradley/Jacobs are ready for the jump to AAA. Then Ben is going to have to make some tough decisions eating a contract or trading a guy at mlb level to make room so these guys have a place to move up to. But this is a good problem to have. Injuries something we as fans have gotten used to as RS fans will also open some spots and give these young players a chance to prove themselves. For me as a fan I get more enjoyment seeing the farm produce top talent than watching front office sign a FA. Lets hope this group is as good as advertisd. Thats what made 07 so sweet watching guys like Youk/Lester/Pedroia/Paps/Delcarmen/Ellsbury help bring home a WS title.

It's a nice problem to have indeed.

I still think we are a bit too heavy on quantity over quality, but not in a damaging way as of yet. I wouldn't mind some 2 or 3 for one trades to upgrade the quality of our prospects and make room for future movements less difficult.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I still think we are a bit too heavy on quantity over quality, but not in a damaging way as of yet. I wouldn't mind some 2 or 3 for one trades to upgrade the quality of our prospects and make room for future movements less difficult.

Moon

I agree and you have always been consistent in your call for the Sox to use some of their Surplus and Duplication in some prospects to upgrade to better quality....I just wonder if a GM like Ben who is under constant scrutiny fears pulling the trigger on something like that....trading Vets with big contracts is easy because you saved the money and they wont haunt you for years to come, but trading prospects for prospects is tough because it is till always a crapshoot, no matter how they are rated by BA, as to which ones will succeed at the ML level

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Moon

I agree and you have always been consistent in your call for the Sox to use some of their Surplus and Duplication in some prospects to upgrade to better quality....I just wonder if a GM like Ben who is under constant scrutiny fears pulling the trigger on something like that....trading Vets with big contracts is easy because you saved the money and they wont haunt you for years to come, but trading prospects for prospects is tough because it is till always a crapshoot, no matter how they are rated by BA, as to which ones will succeed at the ML level

I dont agree when it comes to the pitching. Sox have quantity and quality. The thing that strikes me the most about these young pitchers is their physical size and velo. If they can stay healthy, the SOx have an arsenal of pitchers that can throw 95-98...starters and relievers. I have always been in favor of power pitching to win.

I have not given up on Britton and Ranaudo...think they both can be in the RS rotation assuming health. Very, very high on Rubby. I commented at the time of the trade he reminds me of Pedro. 98 on the gun through 7 innings the one time I saw him. Never have seen Webster. I kept on missing seeing Barnes, but the couple of times I did see him, I wasnt as impressed as every one else. Not to say he wont pan out, this year is a big jump for him. I have not seen Buttrey or Light yet. Lots to be excited about with the RS pitching over the next 4-5 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon

Yes, it's a gamble just like any trade, signing, extension or DFA.

It's risky trading someone like Vinicio and Britton for a better pitcher, since Britton could outshine who we end up getting, but we trusted these guys when we drafted our players, so I trust they'd do well trading up.

I'm also pretty certain that Ben will never give Iggy a chance unless he is forced to. I'd like to see Iggy as our FT SS on opening day, but it won't happen unless drew is on the DL. If we won't play him- trade him with others for a good 1B or pitching prospect-- areas we are a bit thin at.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Moon

Yes, it's a gamble just like any trade, signing, extension or DFA.

It's risky trading someone like Vinicio and Britton for a better pitcher, since Britton could outshine who we end up getting, but we trusted these guys when we drafted our players, so I trust they'd do well trading up.

I'm also pretty certain that Ben will never give Iggy a chance unless he is forced to. I'd like to see Iggy as our FT SS on opening day, but it won't happen unless drew is on the DL. If we won't play him- trade him with others for a good 1B or pitching prospect-- areas we are a bit thin at.

i think BC is giving some players, ie; Salty, Iggy etc., to prove themselves this year before a move is made.

Of course thats out the window if theyre overwhelmed in a trade proposal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why the need to be "overwhelmed" to trade a player that will not be here next year or in 2015?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Why the need to be "overwhelmed" to trade a player that will not be here next year or in 2015?

They might value them more than you Moon and see more value keeping them instead of letting them go for very little... Im just going on what Ive heard and read. They arent just going to take the "best offer" if its not what they are looking for.

Overwhelmed might be too big a word. Maybe they just need to get a quality return back thats more valuable to them than what they have now and havent received one yet.

Sections
Shortcuts