Aaron Cook

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Aaron Cook

softy said he was OK with Wake getting a minor league deal, now mr. hanky is sounding a different tune.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I just think that Oswalt, Kuroda, Edwin Jackson, Madyson, etc's asking prices are ridiculous too high.  

Boston rather to sign two veteran pitchers as a minor league pitchers just to play safe.  Then Boston could try to sign one of the pitcher above as a major league pitcher.  If Silvia or Cook cant do their job, Boston can just waive them at no cost!!!  

Good move by Ben.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Is Cherington waiting outside hospitals for players being operated on or rehabing, to be discharged?
    This is insane! He's acting like the Sox are the Pirates or the Royals.
    Sorry, I think Sox fans are more deserving of something other than dumpster diving.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Cook will compete with Silva and Andrew Miller   ....  at Pawtucket.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/01/09/what-the-red-sox-got-in-aaron-cook/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Cook:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Aaron Cook : His ERA and WHIP make Wake look like an all star. Gotta like his 3.6 BB/9 rate from 2010-2011. 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

How do you figure he makes Wakefield look like an All-Star? As much as I like and appreciate Wake's contributions, Wake was never a steady 4.00 ERA pitcher, as Cook was for a full five year period from '05 to '09. Sure, he's been bad (read: injured) the past two years, but if he's still injured this year he won't be on the Sox roster. However, if he bounces back to his former, steady level...that's a nice pitcher to round out a rotation with. He's also a groundballer, so he doesn't have to rely on "stuff".

It's also worth noting that, as with any pitcher in Colorado, Cook was affected by his home park. It doesn't hurt all pitching numbers like it did in the pre-humidor days, but it still causes a negative impact. In fact, let's take Cook's numbers from '07 to '09 (when he matured as a pitcher but before his injury time):

Home ('07 to '09): 265.2 IP, 4.47 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 2.0 BB/9, 3.3 K/9, 0.64 HR/9
    Away ('07 to '09): 269.2 IP, 3.67 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 2.7 BB/9, 4.6 K/9, 0.93 HR/9

There's a very curious story here. Cook managed a FAR better road ERA despite a higher WHIP, higher walk rate, and even a higher HR rate on the road. How? Well, a much higher K rate, along with a slightly lower hit rate...and perhaps a fewer harder-to-spot effects that Colorado has on pitching. Notice that Cook also has a much better ERA than his other numbers would suggest...that's pretty typical of sinkerball pitchers.

What do I take from this? For one, it's clear that Cook tried to pitch differently at home (which is what most fairly successful Colorado pitchers do). Given that pitches have less movement in Colorado (the most overlooked aspect of pitching there), he was able to work the edge of the zone more, which raised walk rates but made him a better pitcher overall. Odds are if Cook can work on being the same pitcher all the time, he would become a better pitcher.

And here's the real kicker: the average player, both hitter and pitcher, performs better at home than on the road. That seems to apply to Cook too...some of his home numbers are better than his road numbers in spite of Colorado's effect! If he had pitched the same, but in a better pitching park, even Fenway, his numbers would likely have been even better! Which means it's quite possible Cook is just as good as Chien-Ming Wang was in Wang's pre-injury days!

Wouldn't you take that at the bottom of the rotation? Here's hoping he's healthy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]Is Cherington waiting outside hospitals for players being operated on or rehabing, to be discharged? This is insane! He's acting like the Sox are the Pirates or the Royals. Sorry, I think Sox fans are more deserving of something other than dumpster diving.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

Typically, the Pirates and such teams cannot sign these "low risk, high reward" players, as 1) those teams can't afford even the minor additional salaries of these risky players, and 2) those teams can't convince these risky/upside players to sign with them.

All else being equal, these kinds of players prefer teams so they at least have a chance of winning, and often all else isn't equal, because the better/richer teams can offer more financial incentive.

I think we'll be getting exactly what we deserve...a talented championship contender that goes into the season with enough long-shot upside to be really strong, or at least deep, by the midde of the year. And if Cherington can actually find a way to keep the Sox under the luxury threshold, we can be sure to see a nice bit of spending next offseason to "make up for it".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Is Cherington waiting outside hospitals for players being operated on or rehabing, to be discharged? This is insane! He's acting like the Sox are the Pirates or the Royals. Sorry, I think Sox fans are more deserving of something other than dumpster diving.

Andrew Bailey and Melancon are hardly dumster diving.  If you are speaking of starting pitching, please illuminate me (and Ben) who would be remotely worthy of a big contract?  Kuroda?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You keep forgetting that the AGon and Buch extensions were done in April and were a big part of the 2011-2012 winter payroll budget.

I don't see The Royals or pirates extending guys at $22M/yr. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aaron Cook : How do you figure he makes Wakefield look like an All-Star? As much as I like and appreciate Wake's contributions, Wake was never a steady 4.00 ERA pitcher, as Cook was for a full five year period from '05 to '09. Sure, he's been bad (read: injured) the past two years, but if he's still injured this year he won't be on the Sox roster. However, if he bounces back to his former, steady level...that's a nice pitcher to round out a rotation with. He's also a groundballer, so he doesn't have to rely on "stuff". It's also worth noting that, as with any pitcher in Colorado, Cook was affected by his home park. It doesn't hurt all pitching numbers like it did in the pre-humidor days, but it still causes a negative impact. In fact, let's take Cook's numbers from '07 to '09 (when he matured as a pitcher but before his injury time): Home ('07 to '09): 265.2 IP, 4.47 ERA , 1.35 WHIP, 2.0 BB/9, 3.3 K/9, 0.64 HR/9 Away ('07 to '09): 269.2 IP, 3.67 ERA , 1.37 WHIP, 2.7 BB/9, 4.6 K/9, 0.93 HR/9 There's a very curious story here. Cook managed a FAR better road ERA despite a higher WHIP, higher walk rate, and even a higher HR rate on the road. How? Well, a much higher K rate, along with a slightly lower hit rate...and perhaps a fewer harder-to-spot effects that Colorado has on pitching. Notice that Cook also has a much better ERA than his other numbers would suggest...that's pretty typical of sinkerball pitchers. What do I take from this? For one, it's clear that Cook tried to pitcher differently at home (which is what most fairly successful Colorado pitchers do). Given that pitches have less movement in Colorado (the most overlooked aspect of pitching there), he was able to work the edge of the zone more, which raised walk rates but made him a better pitcher overall. Odds are if Cook can work on being the same pitcher all the time, he would become a better pitcher. And here's the real kicker: the average player, both hitter and pitcher, performs better at home than on the road. That seems to apply to Cook too...some of his home numbers are better than his road numbers in spite of Colorado's effect! If he had pitched the same, but in a better pitching park, even Fenway, his numbers would likely have been even better! Which means it's quite possible Cook is just as good as Chien-Ming Wang was in Wang's pre-injury days! Wouldn't you take that at the bottom of the rotation? Here's hoping he's healthy...
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

I like the Cook signing, and was referring to his last 2 years. I am also someone who values WHIP more than ERA, so I could say that Cook has never had a WHIP below 1.337, while Wake has a career WHIP of 1.35. Wake also finished 5th in AL WHIP in 2008 at the age of 41. (BTW, Wake was an allstar in 2009, and if you adjust his ERA due to park and strength of opponent's offenses, I think you'll cut Wake some slack.

I hope Cook is healthy. I actually think he will be a better gamble than Silva. If he's healthy, I'd take him over Wake as well for 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If Cook threw a knuckleball....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This could be just what the RS need. Signing veterans to minor league contracts could pan out since these guys really want to prove they can still pitch. Between Cook and Silva, and possibly Miller, one or two of is bound to prove fruitful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Aaron Cook:
    [QUOTE]Sox just signed him to a minor league deal. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/red-sox-to-sign-aaron-cook.html While he posted an ERA over 6 last season with the Rockies, FIP suggests that he was a better pitcher than that (FIP in the mid 4's each of the past 3 seasons).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE

what a relief, cant get enough lacky like 5.00 career eras onboard these days///
    his injurtes must be overstated too? HOW could anyone compete?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

COLON                  GARCIA

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i really like these signings like cook, and have advocated signing 5-7 such guys every off season.

they will certainly not all work out as some may not recover from their injuries and some others might just never make it back to the major league level, but if one or two can make a boston contribution for the low salaries that they are signing for signing all ( 5, or 7, or 9?) of them was a great deal.

perhaps the best ones out of spring training start in boston while the next best guys sit down at pawtucket getting ready to make a contribution a little bit later on.  it is not like pawtucket was filled with quality, major league prospects last season that are banging on the doors at fenway to join the rotation.

and, perhaps one of them even becomes available to trade for a good prospect after spring training when other teams find themselves shorter on pitching than they may have planned during the winter months.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Aaron Cook : [QUOTE]Sox just signed him to a minor league deal. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/red-sox-to-sign-aaron-cook.html While he posted an ERA over 6 last season with the Rockies, FIP suggests that he was a better pitcher than that (FIP in the mid 4's each of the past 3 seasons). Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] what a relief, cant get enough lacky like 5.00 career eras onboard these days/// his injurtes must be overstated too? HOW could anyone compete?
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

Dewey, Dewey, Dewey....... If he doesn't show any progress in sping training, he stays in the minors.  If he doesn't show any progress during the year at AAA, he's released at no cost to the team.  Where's the problem?  He was effective before he was bitten by the injury bug the past 2 years, if he's going to make a comeback, I'd prefer if he did it with Boston, with no risk to the club.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aaron Cook : Yes, indeed. Not many thought Colon would bounce back from about 3 years of struggles.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

You can't compare Cook and Colon, Cook never came close to winning a Cy-Young.  But this is a great move, it could only help us if he pitches well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good read on cheap pitcher signings...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts