Aaron Cook

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Aaron Cook

Why is he still in AAA, and why is Padilla still on the roster? Seems like a no-brainier to me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Re: Aaron Cook

so you want cook to be the 7th inning reliever?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Aaron Cook:
    [QUOTE]Why is he still in AAA, and why is Padilla still on the roster? Seems like a no-brainier to me.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Because they are keeping cook stretched out to start and Padilla is now a middle relief guy.  If someone goes down Cook could pitch 7 innings whereas Padilla could not at this point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Someone is going down or is going to move pieces. As bad as the Red Sox pitching is, they aren't about to let this guy walk on May 1st. The Red Sox are trying to convince him otherwise, but it's not going to happen. There are probably 28 teams lined up to insert him into their rotation.

It will either be Bard (to bullpen) or Buchholz to Helenic College Flu.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Why is he still in AAA, and why is Padilla still on the roster? Seems like a no-brainier to me.

Another reason: We are talking about the Red Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

padilla has been great this year save 1 appearance.. bard will likely (and hopefully)  be sent to the BP where he is desprately needed. Cook will take his place in the roto. Dice-K will also be back shortly ready to take someones place if they go down or if they're not pitching well.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

They should trade Cook for a reliever.  Cook is a starter.  They don't need a starting pitcher.  They need bullpen help not starting rotation help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Cook:
    [QUOTE]How did pharmacy school go. One of my degrees was in Industrial Chemistry and the toughest course that I ever took in my life by far was Organic Chemistry. I  passed it but hated it and the lab work made me to decide to transfer and get a degree in another field. Loved the physics, qualitative and quantitative analysis, and other chemistry courses but Oganic Chemistry was the stopper to me.
    Posted by Firefligh2008[/QUOTE]

not in pharmacy school yet. i am applying this winter... I haven't taken an "official" organic chemistry class yet but i excell at the parts i've learned in other classes. I try not to worry about what classes i take (difficulty wise) I went into calculus nervous because i had never done any of it before and ended up with an A-. all the while doing acid, getting tattoos and worshipping satan. you hit the nail right on the head pike..

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

[QUOTE]They should trade Cook for a reliever.  Cook is a starter.  They don't need a starting pitcher.  They need bullpen help not starting rotation help.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]  Cook was a mediocre starting pitcher who  averaged 11 wins and 10 losses with an ERA of 4.53 in the NL West which has not exactly been a strong baseball division and he pitched for very good offensive teams. 

Every GM in baseball knows that the Red Sox will have to make a decision concerning whether or not they want to add him to the 25 man roster.  Why should they trade anything knowing that chances are very good that he will be available for them to sign for next to nothing if they need a bottom of the rotation starter.  Who cares how he has pitched in the minors?  The Sox signed him for insurance and with the entire current rotation currently healthy and Matsusaka working his way back there is not a spot for Cook.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

[QUOTE]Someone is going down or is going to move pieces. As bad as the Red Sox pitching is, they aren't about to let this guy walk on May 1st. The Red Sox are trying to convince him otherwise, but it's not going to happen. There are probably 28 teams lined up to insert him into their rotation. It will either be Bard (to bullpen) or Buchholz to Helenic College Flu.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]  More likely there are 2 or 3 teams lined up to insert him into their rotation.  He's simply not that good, but he is inexpensive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]They should trade Cook for a reliever.  Cook is a starter.  They don't need a starting pitcher.  They need bullpen help not starting rotation help.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Our starter ERA is 5.81.

Our starter WHIP is 1.494.

Lester, Beckett, and Buch have never all put together a solid season at the same time.

Bard belongs in the pen, especially since we lost Papelbon and now Bailey.

When Dice-K returns, Doubront can move to the pen. There's no way he should start 28+ games.

Trading for a relief pitcher is a krapshoot (see Gagne and many many others).

I remember many posters saying last spring that we were deep in starter depth. How did that work out?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i agree moon. this is felix's first season in the rotation and unless he is pitching ROTY calibur i would be fine with moving to the pen when dice-k comes back. bard NEEDS to be in the BP, theres no one you can count on in there as we've seen so far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Aaron Cook : Because they are keeping cook stretched out to start and Padilla is now a middle relief guy.  If someone goes down Cook could pitch 7 innings whereas Padilla could not at this point.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]padilla has good stuff, heard cook today on eei. said he would be fine coming outta the pen or starting. he's come out of the pen 40 times and mcclure has coached him in the past. i say bring him in the pen and designate mr. blubber albers! keep bard as the starter. as dice is ready to g0 or we sign oswalt, u have dice in the bullpen as well perhaps for padilla, then eventually if a starter goes down u have oswalt slotted in. love bard as starter... period! bailey will be back, ace can do the job.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    cook has relieved 40 times! so there... r u guys now more positive on this team? the bullpen and pitching will come around, just chill and be patient as guys recover and come back. bailey, dice, cook and erhaps oswalt can only help!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aaron Cook : Our starter ERA is 5.81. Our starter WHIP is 1.494. Lester, Beckett, and Buch have never all put together a solid season at the same time. Bard belongs in the pen, especially since we lost Papelbon and now Bailey. When Dice-K returns, Doubront can move to the pen. There's no way he should start 28+ games. Trading for a relief pitcher is a krapshoot (see Gagne and many many others). I remember many posters saying last spring that we were deep in starter depth. How did that work out?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, while I agree that you can never have "too much" starting pitching and Aaron Cook will likely get his shot in Boston, the "stats" are a little decieving regarding this rotation. 

Beckett - pitched well in 3 of 4 starts

Lester - pitched well in 2 0f 4 starts - went 7 last night, "hung in there" in a "bad start" and they got a win

Bard - Has pitched as well as can be expected to this point and he has given them a lot of solid innings.

Doubront - See above

Buchholz - Coming off the injury, not himself, but he hasn't been awful either.  The most disappointing of the 5.

They are getting innings out of these guys, they seem to be fairly healthy and with Cook pitching well and Dice-K making his way back, they have some depth right now. The 5 in the rotation all have good stuff and it's possible this could be a very good rotation moving forward.  It's a little early to start giving up on these guys, as they are the future of this rotation, along with Lackey next year. Those people who think they are going to invest any money into a starting pitcher next off-season are not only not seeing the big picture, they will be very disappointed...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm just throwing out guesses here, but maybe because he has

* the 3rd worst ERA in BB over the past two years (worst in NL)?
    * a 4.4/3.6 K/W per 9 over two years (worst in BB)?

It's amazing how a pitcher can be about the worst pitcher in BB over two years, get cut by the Rockies, pitch a few innings against kids, and fans think he's the answer.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what Cook's K/W ratio is in AAA right now?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Aaron Cook : I'm just throwing out guesses here, but maybe because he has * the 3rd worst ERA in BB over the past two years (worst in NL)? * a 4.4/3.6 K/W per 9 over two years (worst in BB)? It's amazing how a pitcher can be about the worst pitcher in BB over two years, get cut by the Rockies, pitch a few innings against kids, and fans think he's the answer. Just out of curiosity, do you know what Cook's K/W ratio is in AAA right now?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe,

most posters on here obviously mocked the Aaron Cook signing as a joke and now it's as if he is some kind of savior.  In his defense, he is healthy, he has pitched fairy well and he could probably give the Sox some solid innings if Bard is persuaded to move to the pen, but he is obviously not a guy I'd want starting a playoff game without the late 60's Baltimore Orioles defense behind him...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Another on the long list of reasons why the Sox did not hire you...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Aaron Cook : I'm just throwing out guesses here, but maybe because he has * the 3rd worst ERA in BB over the past two years (worst in NL)? * a 4.4/3.6 K/W per 9 over two years (worst in BB)? It's amazing how a pitcher can be about the worst pitcher in BB over two years, get cut by the Rockies, pitch a few innings against kids, and fans think he's the answer. Just out of curiosity, do you know what Cook's K/W ratio is in AAA right now?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

7 K's to 8 BB's..... in 27 innings.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts