About Beckett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

About Beckett?

Beckett seems to be cool to Valentine in the early stages of the new season, and seems to continue to hold a grudge against Valentine for his comments on Sunday night baseball about Beckett's slowness in working. It seems it's time for Beckett to realize that most people in baseball would agree with Valentine's assesment of his work, and work with Valentine, not against him.

Now if Beckett were continue to have his arrogant and selfish attitude, would the Sox be forced to move him in a trade, and if so, what would they have to get back in any trade?

It seems the Sox think they are still one starting  pitcher away[do they really buy into Bard and or Aceves starting?] so if Beckett wer to become a problem and needed to be traded, then the Sox would then be two starters short.

Also what would Beckett's value be, as other teams would certainly see the problem and not give the Sox any value fore him?

Let's hope for all concerned that Beckett comes to spring training and fully buys into Valentine and his way of managing, otherwise it could become a ugly atmostphere and have a negative effect on the rest of the  team.

Also Luke Scott[yes I realize he bats lefthanded] is out their and could be a very useful player for someone for a year or two. Also he would probably come fairly cheap, and could be used in rightfield with Ryan Kalish, thus paving the way to move Reddick in any trade. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: About Beckett?

Pitchers are a different breed, and not all can be made to pitch in a certain way or tempo, as long as the results are there in the end is all that matters. It doesn't matter that everybody associated with the Sox thinks Beckett should pitch faster, if he [Beckett] doesn't buy into it what can the Sox do , bench him? When he was leading the league in ERA his slowness wasn't such a problem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It seems it's time for Beckett to realize that most people in baseball would agree with Valentine's assesment of his work, and work with Valentine, not against him.

Most people in BB except for RS fans.  I'd like him to work faster, but not at the expense of his performance.  At some point, Valentine needs to come to the conclusion that he is a member of the RS, not the media.

BV now has articles out on Crawford and Beckett, and probably others that I'm not keeping track of.  BV trying to curry favor with the media by telling them CC is not returning his calls, telling them that Bard will be a starter, instead of keeping it a secret, etc., will not do us any good.

BV needs to find out where his loyalties lie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In Response to About Beckett?:
    [QUOTE]Beckett seems to be cool to Valentine in the early stages of the new season, and seems to continue to hold a grudge against Valentine for his comments on Sunday night baseball about Beckett's slowness in working. It seems it's time for Beckett to realize that most people in baseball would agree with Valentine's assesment of his work, and work with Valentine, not against him. Now if Beckett were continue to have his arrogant and selfish attitude, would the Sox be forced to move him in a trade, and if so, what would they have to get back in any trade? It seems the Sox think they are still one starting  pitcher away[do they really buy into Bard and or Aceves starting?] so if Beckett wer to become a problem and needed to be traded, then the Sox would then be two starters short. Also what would Beckett's value be, as other teams would certainly see the problem and not give the Sox any value fore him? Let's hope for all concerned that Beckett comes to spring training and fully buys into Valentine and his way of managing, otherwise it could become a ugly atmostphere and have a negative effect on the rest of the  team. Also Luke Scott[yes I realize he bats lefthanded] is out their and could be a very useful player for someone for a year or two. Also he would probably come fairly cheap, and could be used in rightfield with Ryan Kalish, thus paving the way to move Reddick in any trade. 
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]
    Seems like we're putting words in Becketts mouth. Have not heard one word from Becketts mouth concerning the hire of Valentine [maybe I missed something?] But because Lester spoke up after Chicken Gate scandel and Beckett has not. Beckett seems to be the villian in Boston media. I'm sure once Beckett & Valentine meet face to face it will be a non issue, Valentine was doing his job as was Beckett, if Beckett felt he could get hitters out of their rhythem by waiting and help him win a game, Valentine as mgr will only be glad to sit thru an extra 30 mins of game for a victory over Yanks. Think its the Boston media making a big deal about comments made by Valentine during broadcasts thats what he was being paid for, same goes for Crawford. Remember sometimes the media just trying to make a story out of nothing. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett seems to be cool to Valentine in the early stages of the new season, and seems to continue to hold a grudge against Valentine for his comments on Sunday night baseball about Beckett's slowness in working. It seems it's time for Beckett to realize that most people in baseball would agree with Valentine's assesment of his work, and work with Valentine, not against him. Now if Beckett were continue to have his arrogant and selfish attitude, would the Sox be forced to move him in a trade, and if so, what would they have to get back in any trade? It seems the Sox think they are still one starting  pitcher away[do they really buy into Bard and or Aceves starting?] so if Beckett wer to become a problem and needed to be traded, then the Sox would then be two starters short. Also what would Beckett's value be, as other teams would certainly see the problem and not give the Sox any value fore him? Let's hope for all concerned that Beckett comes to spring training and fully buys into Valentine and his way of managing, otherwise it could become a ugly atmostphere and have a negative effect on the rest of the  team. Also Luke Scott[yes I realize he bats lefthanded] is out their and could be a very useful player for someone for a year or two. Also he would probably come fairly cheap, and could be used in rightfield with Ryan Kalish, thus paving the way to move Reddick in any trade. 

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BETWEEN YOU AND I.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

"Beckett seems to be cool to Valentine in the early stages of the new season, and seems to continue to hold a grudge against Valentine for his comments on Sunday night baseball about Beckett's slowness in working."

May I call BS on you?

Can you reveal a source for this please?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: About Beckett?:
    [QUOTE]  It seems it's time for Beckett to realize that most people in baseball would agree with Valentine's assesment of his work, and work with Valentine, not against him. Most people in BB except for RS fans.  I'd like him to work faster, but not at the expense of his performance.  At some point, Valentine needs to come to the conclusion that he is a member of the RS, not the media. BV now has articles out on Crawford and Beckett, and probably others that I'm not keeping track of.  BV trying to curry favor with the media by telling them CC is not returning his calls, telling them that Bard will be a starter, instead of keeping it a secret, etc., will not do us any good. BV needs to find out where his loyalties lie. Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Keeping track of it? Joe, Joe, Joe...the season starts in how many months?

Shhhhhhh!
    Are you of a critical nature? The team was a mess when they ALL packed up and left last September. A mess! This man you refer to as "BV"...? He's the field manager. If you were on my team? I'd have an article out on you. Get your ducks in line..."CC" and Beckett both deserve a kick in the pants (among others) so who are you to question BOBBY VALENTINE'S allegiance or the source of his paycheck? Perhaps he (Bobby Valentine) knows something you don't?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Valentine needs to get together with his new pitching coach and see what approach can be used to have Beckett pitch quicker between pitches.
    Beckett has pitched the same way throughout his career and changes now could cause further back problems leading up to an ugly confrontation with Valentine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I like Josh Beckett as a pitcher, and I'll admit it, I hate him as a person. He just strikes me as a silver-spooned guy, who has been stuck in his own mind that he thinks he is one of the top 5 guys on Earth. He's not. He's a fine starting pitcher and has a very good playoff resume. But he's not matured. If anything, he's regressed in his approach. I would be happy if he was traded to somebody for another SP as straight 1-for-1 swap. Beckett is just reminder of the selfishness that has engulfed the clubhouse. In Beckett's mind, and I truly believe this--he thinks the Sox need him and that's not how play baseball. The Sox don't need him. They need to replace him, but unfortunately he has all the cards in that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Beckett needs a kick in the azz for his bloated, assinine behavior in the last few months of 2011...

I would trade him but if I were Bobby V, I would talk to him man to man and tell him to
    1) get in shape
    2) stay in shape
    3) support his teammates on the bench everygame
    4) speed up his delivery a bit to keep his fielders from growing moss on their gloves

Based on Josh's past petulance, he would probably respond by drinking more and reporting to FL even fatter than ever...

trade him for young studs...in any position

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheley. Show sheley's posts

Beckett, Lackey, and Lester have lost the right to complain about how tough the manager or any of the training staff treats them. Their behavior last season was outrageous, and was reflected in their abysmal performance in Sept. They refused to support their teammates on the field during games.They should come to ST in top shape, work hard, and regain the respect of their teammates and fans!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

DANNYCATER said it the way I wish I had started this post. Excellent on dannycater's part.
    Now the questions remains, can or will Beckett play ball with Valentine and the Sox,or does he go his own way? I truly believe Beckett is pretty much uncoachable and will do things his way such as taking time in the mound etc. To me he is the poster boy for selfishness and aggroance, and things could get ugly. 
    That is why even with the Sox lack of starters, they should trade him now, before spring training, but of course the Sox would have to get back a quality starter, something at this point may be asking for the impossible. I don't believe for one minute that Beckett cares about anyone or thing except himself, and while we would hope for a great outcome from him, and a willingness to do everything possible to help the team win, I don't believe he has that in him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That is why even with the Sox lack of starters, they should trade him now, before spring training, but of course the Sox would have to get back a quality starter, something at this point may be asking for the impossible.

Just trade him for a guy that is 13-7, with a 2.89 ERA and a 1.026 Whip.  That should be easy to find.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett needs a kick in the azz for his bloated, assinine behavior in the last few months of 2011... I would trade him but if I were Bobby V, I would talk to him man to man and tell him to 1) get in shape 2) stay in shape 3) support his teammates on the bench everygame 4) speed up his delivery a bit to keep his fielders from growing moss on their gloves Based on Josh's past petulance, he would probably respond by drinking more and reporting to FL even fatter than ever... trade him for young studs...in any position
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to his last 15 starts, which resulted in 10 Sox wins?  The 5 losses included 4-3 to KC (7 IP, 3 ER), 5-4 to Seattle (5/5), and 1-0 to Toronto (4/0, left with injured ankle).  He was shelled twice at the end of the season when he was still suffering from ankle problems.

During that period we beat TB 1-0 (8/0), NYY 3-2 (6/1), TEX 13-2 (6/1), NYY again 9-5 (7/4) and TB again 4-3 (6/2).

Your opinion of Beckett's 2011 season would be more credible if you could give any level of detail on what you see as his failures....and please don't go on about the alleged chicken and beer thing you read about in the newspapers in September/October...something tangible, please.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

BTW, didn't cherry pick his last 15 starts, they were over the last 3 months of the season.  His first 15 starts were remarkably similar...also 10 Sox wins, 3 of which he pitched well, 2 of which he didn't (one of which he was recovering from injury).

His all-star 2011 season was remarkable, and remarkably consistent.  An ace's season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

http://sportsofboston.com/2011/11/24/2011-turkey-of-the-year-josh-beckett/

Josh Beckett spent much of his 2011 season pitching well…really well actually. He had his best season as a Red Sox, finishing 13-7 with a career-best 2.89 ERA and 1.026 WHIP.

But when his team needed him most, he tanked.

Plagued by his perceived addiction to eating fried chicken and drinking beer during games he wasn’t pitching (Hell Yeah, He Liked Beer), and his reported disgust for his inability to win the Cy Young because of Justin Verlander’s unbelievable season, Beckett truly faltered in September. He went 1-2 with a 5.48 ERA as the Red Sox slumped to a 7-20 final month and missed the playoffs by a game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Who knows what transpired with the phone conversation with Beckett and Valentine?  Was the line tapped?  For all we know they might have both laughed off the pitching slow comment.  We don't know, people!!

In person, Beckett may be the greatest guy in the world.  We don't know, people!!

Actually, with the way some people carry on, can you blame him for keeping a low profile?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]http://sportsofboston.com/2011/11/24/2011-turkey-of-the-year-josh-beckett/ Josh Beckett spent much of his 2011 season pitching well…really well actually. He had his best season as a Red Sox, finishing 13-7 with a career-best 2.89 ERA and 1.026 WHIP. But when his team needed him most, he tanked. Plagued by his  perceived  addiction to eating fried chicken and drinking beer during games he wasn’t pitching ( Hell Yeah, He Liked Beer ), and his reported disgust for his inability to win the Cy Young because of Justin Verlander’s unbelievable season, Beckett truly faltered in September. He went 1-2 with a 5.48 ERA as the Red Sox slumped to a 7-20 final month and missed the playoffs by a game.

But Geo, in his first start in Sep he was pitching great before hurting his ankle - we lost 1-0 but not his fault - and his second start (after missing a turn) was a critical game vs Tampa and he pitched well and won.

He did get shelled in his last two starts....bad luck?  Ankle still a problem?  Chicken-caused failure?  Dunno, he failed, let's agree that.

Your earlier post referred to his bad few months at the end of 2011.  I pointed out that his last 3 months were excellent as were his first three.  Now you are pointing out his bad September.....and I have countered that even discounting injury it's only his last 2 starts that were poor.

In fact, it's only the 7th and 8th innings on the 21st and the 6th inning on the 26th that he failed.  And if our bullpen hadn't imploded he might not have pitched most of that.

So other than those three innings what is your problem with his performance?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Sonics, did you watch him pitch in those last months??? I did and what I saw was a fat guy struggling to get out of the 5th....he pitched great against the Yanks but to suggest that he is an ace, and cant be replaced is laughable...he is an ace at times, but not usually anymore...he is like every thirty-something pitcher in the league who has seen better days....

he will be traded for prospects or a useful everyday player but he is not worth a whole lot to any team because of his salary, weight, attitude, and insubordination that led to our epic fail in 2011...for this alone he should be canned

and he will be...you keep on reciting stats like some crazed Hare Krishna nut....I've heard this before from Francona (2 time champion) lovers who REFUSED to see reality right in front of their eyes....

Ben doesnt want this chump on our team...just like he didnt want Francona, Tek, Wake, JD, and Lackey.....Beckett is history

get use to it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Clean up as much as possible Like JB but is less reliable now That's with or without extra crispy happy New yr to all you RS fans Warmest greetings from Sunny Mexico

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Sonics, did you watch him pitch in those last months??? I did and what I saw was a fat guy struggling to get out of the 5th....he pitched great against the Yanks but to suggest that he is an ace, and cant be replaced is laughable...he is an ace at times, but not usually anymore...he is like every thirty-something pitcher in the league who has seen better days.... he will be traded for prospects or a useful everyday player but he is not worth a whole lot to any team because of his salary, weight, attitude, and insubordination that led to our epic fail in 2011...for this alone he should be canned and he will be...you keep on reciting stats like some crazed Hare Krishna nut....I've heard this before from Francona (2 time champion) lovers who REFUSED to see reality right in front of their eyes.... Ben doesnt want this chump on our team...just like he didnt want Francona, Tek, Wake, JD, and Lackey.....Beckett is history get use to it

To which games are you referring?  In the 15 games during the last 3 months (your parameter)....he pitched 95 innings.  That an average of 6 and a third innings per start without adjusting for the game he was injured.  I can't easily find the average but that's pretty close to it.  And in the 5 "money" games vs Tex, NYY and TB he averaged 6.6 IP and we won all 5.

You write "you keep on reciting stats like some crazed Hare Krishna nut"...but that absurd, I'm just looking at the most basic, obvious stats that you haven't refuted.  But all you're doing is saying nyah, nyah, you're wrong, you don't watch the games.

14 starts giving up 0 or 1 earned runs, two bad starts at the end while injured with no bullpen support.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

" but to suggest that he is an ace, and cant be replaced is laughable"

Geo, please give a name or two of available pitchers that could deliver a similar performance in 2012.