MLB .261/.325/.406/.731

RF
    Sox  .233/.299/.353/.652  -.113
    MLB .263/.335/.429/.765

DH
    Sox .308/.394/.531/.925  +.152
    MLB .268/.342/.431/.773

Some interesting notes:
    1) MLB SSs hit nearly as well as MLB 3Bmen these days!
    2) MLB team catcher average was .245  18  74.
         The Sox catchers combined for  .229  29  96.
    3) Our most positional dominating positions (by OPS) in order:
     CF +.187
     2B +.168
     1B +.166
     DH +.152

3B +.107
     SS +.046
     C   +.033
     LF  -.006
     RF  -.113

Looking to next year: assuming we lose Big Papi, my guess is that a combination of Lavarnway, Youk (with Aviles and Lowrie at 3B) could maybe minimize the loss at DH to about .100 to.125 OPS points. My hope is that with a cheap platoon RF'er like Cody Ross, we can gain about .100 OPS points in RF. A large uptick by CC in LF could negate any loss we have elsewhere, and we could possibly have a pretty close 2012 OPS as 2011. Of course, one major injury would make a big difference, but I think Lava, Aviles and Lowrie (vs LHPs) can do some damage in 2012 offensively.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Above or Below the Norm.

As always, nicely researched.

One of the encouraging things I see about the 2012 team is that our holes are huge, but few.  Getting a league-average RF increases our OPS by .113.  Getting a decent RH RF releases us from the financial obligation to signing Papi, and allowing us to focus on a closer and two SPs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

I think the Sox utimately will bring Papi back, so I see this movement next year:

C - solid improvement (Salty improves/Lavarnway considerable improvement over Tek)

1B - slight improvement (Injury slowed Gonzo - he stays healthy and puts up a more complete season)

2B - same (Pedey always going to give you solid numbers - potential for better next year if he can stay away from nagging injuries - don't see it happening with his style of play)

SS - same (Scutaro not real good early, very good late - probably more consistent throughout for similar results)

3B - slight improvement (Youk stays healthy for better all around season)

LF - considerable improvement (Crawford able to relax in year 2 and will have a much better year)

CF - decrease (will still get good production but I don't see Ells having that good of a year again)

RF - ??? (could be one of the top 2-3 keys to the season)  Sox go get a Cuddyer or Beltran and you will see considerable improvement.  If not, probably similar production

DH - same (Papi will stay consistent)

Bottom line is the offense was good enough to win a World Series.  It will be again.  It all comes down to pitching.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The Sox problem last year was not scoring runs, it was preventing them. I'm not surprised that Sox offensively beat league norms. What kept them from play-offs was a complete collaspe of their pitching staff be it starters or relief.That is why IMO that a huge up-grade is needed in pitching starting with the bull-pen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think Papi will be back, unless we go way over the cap.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Attic, I certainly agree.  Pitching was an absolute issue last year.  My hope is that our "top line" pitchers see that there approach to the full season doesn't work.  Stay in shape and be ready to pitch.  With out Lakey, Dice k, with Buch being a question mark, lots of issues to deal with. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The thing is, did anyone really count on getting much out of Dice-K and Lackey in 2011?

In the 35 starts by Wake and Miller that replaced Dice-K and the few games Lackey missed to injury, the Sox went 21 -14.

Looking to 2012, the bigger issue on paper is we have to replace Miller and Wake, not Lackey/Dice-K.

With Lackey 14-14
    With Dice-K   4-3
    Bedard           4-4
    Aceves           1-3
    Weiland          1-4

Total of Lackey, Wake, Miller, Bedard, Dice-K, Weiland and Aceves:

45-42

Finding 3-4 guys to duplicate that will not be easy. There's a good chance we may need someone to replace Beckett, Lester or Buch for a few games. We may end up needing 87 starts from our 4, 5, 6 and beyond starters again in 2012. We can pray the big three stay healthy, but I prefer to have a solid 4 guys, a decent 5 guy and a good option at the 6 slot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I still say bull-pen is the greatest need going forward. In this day of 6 inn. SP. A deep and reliable bull-pen is a necessity. The good news is that no position is as viotable year to year, so with some judicious signings and a little luck the Sox will be able to solve their most glearing need.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Above or Below the Norm.:
    [QUOTE]   I still say bull-pen is the greatest need going forward. In this day of 6 inn. SP. A deep and reliable bull-pen is a necessity. The good news is that no position is as viotable year to year, so with some judicious signings and a little luck the Sox will be able to solve their most glearing need.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Without a solid 4 and 5 starter, a good bull pen might not be needed in 2 of 5 starts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Another pile of drivel from the resident circle jerk. Red Sox catchers were a disgrace in fielding the position, as well as being near auto-outs during record collapse.

I recall his snipets about Adam Dunn, who this poster advocated paying massive money to split timein LF and replace Ortiz. Same snipets called research, that Ortiz needed to be released because he could no longer hit Lefty pitching.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Our most positional dominating positions (by OPS) in order:
    CF +.187
    2B +.168
    1B +.166
    DH +.152

3B +.107
    SS +.046
    C +.033

An advocate for offering Varitek a million dollar FA contract, pretending that this repeated nonsense means the wooden butcher who averaged 53 games over last 2 seasons but was on the shelf at the end of both of them. Anyone else on this board want Varitek back, on the basis of this nonsense...............

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

bIn Response to Re: Above or Below the Norm.:
    [QUOTE]The thing is, did anyone really count on getting much out of Dice-K and Lackey in 2011? In the 35 starts by Wake and Miller that replaced Dice-K and the few games Lackey missed to injury, the Sox went 21 -14. Looking to 2012, the bigger issue on paper is we have to replace Miller and Wake, not Lackey/Dice-K. With Lackey 14-14 With Dice-K   4-3 Bedard           4-4 Aceves           1-3 Weiland          1-4 Total of Lackey, Wake, Miller, Bedard, Dice-K, Weiland and Aceves: 45-42 Finding 3-4 guys to duplicate that will not be easy. There's a good chance we may need someone to replace Beckett, Lester or Buch for a few games. We may end up needing 87 starts from our 4, 5, 6 and beyond starters again in 2012. We can pray the big three stay healthy, but I prefer to have a solid 4 guys, a decent 5 guy and a good option at the 6 slot.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Your giving way too much credit to Wake and Miller vis a vis the Sox record in games they started. They were both in the bottom third in all AL pitchers for ERA. Which is interesting for a second reason, it's very difficult to find very many pitchers that still got starting assignments despite their poor ERA. Nine pitchers made more than 10 starts, and three pitched for Boston!
     Begginning with Wake at #215 (ERA) and going to #325, here are the AL leaders for starts;
    Lackey  BOS        28  6.41
    Wakefield BOS      23  5.12
    Kyle Drabek TOR    14 6.06
    Kyle Davies TOR     13  6.75
    Brian Matusz BALT  12  10.69
    Mitch Talbot  CLE   12  6.64
    Miller  BOS            12  5.54
    Zach Stewart CHI   11   5.88
    Sean O'Sullivan KC  10   7.25
      These plus 5.00 ERA pitchers had combined W-L of 13-42, which is what you should expect when you start giving up over five runs per game. What we can see is that the Boston pitchers were given ample opportunities to get established and right their ship. The rest of the league just doesn't have that kind of patience. Replacing Wake, Miller, Lackey or Dice-K is easy, getting wins from the replacements, I suspect we won't be as lucky, if they have plus 5.00 ERA's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Another pile of drivel from the resident circle jerk. Red Sox catchers were a disgrace in fielding the position, as well as being near auto-outs during record collapse. I recall his snipets about Adam Dunn, who this poster advocated paying massive money to split timein LF and replace Ortiz. Same snipets called research, that Ortiz needed to be released because he could no longer hit Lefty pitching.   
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]'

More lies. I never said pay Dunn more than $30M/3. (I'd still raher have him at $30M/3 than CC at $142M/7.) 

I never ever said release Papi. Bare-faced lie.

The most I ever said was demote him in the line-up at the time you wanted him sent to AAA on a fake rehab deal.  I then said he should be platooned vs LHPs in 2010, if we had someone with good splits to take his place. In 2010, in those games, Papi had a .500 OPS. In 2011, we had nobody better for most of the games.

Stop the lies. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

These plus 5.00 ERA pitchers had combined W-L of 13-42, which is what you should expect when you start giving up over five runs per game. What we can see is that the Boston pitchers were given ample opportunities to get established and right their ship. The rest of the league just doesn't have that kind of patience. Replacing Wake, Miller, Lackey or Dice-K is easy, getting wins from the replacements, I suspect we won't be as lucky, if they have plus 5.00 ERA's.

Perfectly articulated, Youk. Lackey is a problem under contract, and DiceK has one more year. And you can bet neither will be offered 1 year and millions, once there deals are up. Yet Moonslob keeps trying to paint a picture that Wastefield has a role. As you point out, start younger vet cheap FA  and youth for all the garbage innings that is the annual Wastfied fiasco.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Your giving way too much credit to Wake and Miller vis a vis the Sox record in games they started. They were both in the bottom third in all AL pitchers for ERA. Which is interesting for a second reason, it's very difficult to find very many pitchers that still got starting assignments despite their poor ERA. Nine pitchers made more than 10 starts, and three pitched for Boston!
     Begginning with Wake at #215 (ERA) and going to #325, here are the AL leaders for starts;
    Lackey  BOS        28  6.41
    Wakefield BOS      23  5.12
    Kyle Drabek TOR    14 6.06
    Kyle Davies TOR     13  6.75
    Brian Matusz BALT  12  10.69
    Mitch Talbot  CLE   12  6.64
    Miller  BOS            12  5.54
    Zach Stewart CHI   11   5.88
    Sean O'Sullivan KC  10   7.25

I found 19 in the AL with 5.00 ERAs and 10+ GS:

Burnett    32  5.15
    Carmona 32  5.25
    Penny      31 5.30
    Duensing  28 5.23
    Lackey     28 6.41
    Reyes       25 5.57
    Pineiro    24  5.13
    Wake       23  5.12
    Arrieta     22  5.05 
    Duffy       20  5.64
    Harden    15  5.12
    Hughes    14  5.79
    Drabek     14  6.06
    Tillman    13  5.52
    Davies     13  6.75
    Bergeson 12 5.70
    Miller       12 5.54
    Talbot      12 6.64
    Furbush    12 5.48
    Jimenez   11 5.10
    Stewart    11 5.88
    O'Sullivan 10 7.25

That means each team had about 1.3 starters with an ERA over 5.00. There were a 3 more with 7-9 starts as well. That's about 1.5 per team's 1-7 slot pitchers. 
    (22/96 pitchers) I think the state of AL starting pitching is worse than some imagine.

Some came close to 5.00 ERAs and played in less of a hitter's park:
    Coke    14  4.82  Det
    Beavin 15  4.27 Sea
    Simon  16  4.96 Balt
    Cecil    20  4.73 Tor
    Liriano 24  4.84 MN
    Chatwood 25 4.81 LAA
    Morrow     30 4.72 Tor
    Porcello    31 4.75 Det
    Francis      31 4.82 KC
    Hoch.         31 4.68 KC

That's 10 more that could be considered close to Wake's 5.12 ERA when you consider park fatcor and not facing the Yanks 18 times (except for Tor/Balt who faced NYY and Bos) Cahtwood and Beavin played half their games in big parks and a lot of other road games in Sea, Oak and LAA- other big parks.

Factor in pitching half your games in Boston.

Out of 87 starters in the AL with more than 10 GS'd ...

Go by tERA and Wake (at 5.02) had 23 starters with a worse number than his. (Miller was second worst in the AL at 6.44. Lackey was 10th worst at 5.41.) 

Go by SIERA and Wake (at 4.68) had 15 starters worse than him. Miller was 5th worst at 5.15 and Lackey was 25th worst at 4.50.

We need better bottom rotation pitching, no doubt. I have been saying it is our top priority all along. I am not saying I want Miller and Wake as our 4/5 starters, but I wouldn't mind a guy like Wake as our 6th starter.

Try looking at starter WHIP:
    Out of the top 96 starters by GS...
    Miller was   #94 1.80
    Lackey was #85 1.62
    Wake was  # 54 1.40

Slot the pitchers by groups of 14 (amount of AL teams)
    1-14 #1 starters
    14-28 #2
    29-42 #3
    43-56 #4
    57-70 #5
    71-84 #6
    85-98 #7

Wake ranked as a low 4th starter.
    Lackey a high 7th starter.
    Miller a low 7th starter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Crawford needs to realize that with Drew gone and without Lackey to bash game to game he is #1 on the radar.

He may not have a chance to "relax".

Wait until Year 3 when Elles is gone and the entire ballpark is filled with fans who know Jacoby was traded because of Carl.

Man o man he needs to turn it around. He was lucky in 2011 that we had other things to complain about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford needs to realize that with Drew gone and without Lackey to bash game to game he is #1 on the radar. He may not have a chance to "relax". Wait until Year 3 when Elles is gone and the entire ballpark is filled with fans who know Jacoby was traded because of Carl. Man o man he needs to turn it around. He was lucky in 2011 that we had other things to complain about.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I think we will see a turn-around", but it may not be enough to lift us above the loss of Paps and maybe Papi. LF and RF remain our best hopes for improvement with minimal off-season input.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Youk, Lavarnway, Saltalamacchia, Agon and Lowrie can share some ABs at DH, with 2 of them sharing 3B, Youk and Lowrie, Lavarnway also sharing the catching and Agon getting a rest once in awhile.  Besides saving money for a righthanded powerhitting rightfielder and strengthening the pitching, which otherwise will be spent on Big Papi, it seems like an easier way to strengthen the bench as all those hitting some at DH also regularly play positions.  I know some are concerned about fans filling the stands and may buy more tickets with Big Papi as the DH, however, it is likely even more tickets will be sold if the team is winning consistently.  That it is the Norm to which the fans and hopefully ownership aspires.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Your giving way too much credit to Wake and Miller vis a vis the Sox record in games they started. They were both in the  bottom third  in all AL pitchers for ERA. Which is interesting for a second reason, it's very difficult to find very many pitchers that still got starting assignments despite their poor ERA. Nine pitchers made more than 10 starts, and three pitched for Boston!  Begginning with Wake at #215 (ERA) and going to #325, here are the AL leaders for starts; Lackey   BOS         28  6.41 Wakefield  BOS       23  5.12 Kyle Drabek TOR    14 6.06 Kyle Davies TOR     13  6.75 Brian Matusz BALT  12  10.69 Mitch Talbot  CLE   12  6.64 Miller   BOS             12  5.54 Zach Stewart CHI   11   5.88 Sean O'Sullivan KC  10   7.25   These plus 5.00 ERA pitchers had combined W-L of 13-42, which is what you should expect when you start giving up over five runs per game. What we can see is that the Boston pitchers were given ample opportunities to get established and right their ship. The rest of the league just doesn't have that kind of patience. Replacing Wake, Miller, Lackey or Dice-K is easy, getting wins from the replacements, I suspect we won't be as lucky, if they have plus 5.00 ERA's. I found 19 in the AL with 5.00 ERAs and 10+ GS: Burnett    32  5.15 Carmona 32  5.25 Penny      31 5.30 Duensing  28 5.23 Lackey     28 6.41 Reyes       25 5.57 Pineiro    24  5.13 Wake       23  5.12 Arrieta     22  5.05  Duffy       20  5.64 Harden    15  5.12 Hughes    14  5.79 Drabek     14  6.06 Tillman    13  5.52 Davies     13  6.75 Bergeson 12 5.70 Miller       12 5.54 Talbot      12 6.64 Furbush    12 5.48 Jimenez   11 5.10 Stewart    11 5.88 O'Sullivan 10 7.25 That means each team had about 1.3 starters with an ERA over 5.00. There were a 3 more with 7-9 starts as well. That's about 1.5 per team's 1-7 slot pitchers.  (22/96 pitchers) I think the state of AL starting pitching is worse than some imagine. Some came close to 5.00 ERAs and played in less of a hitter's park: Coke    14  4.82  Det Beavin 15  4.27 Sea Simon  16  4.96 Balt Cecil    20  4.73 Tor Liriano 24  4.84 MN Chatwood 25 4.81 LAA Morrow     30 4.72 Tor Porcello    31 4.75 Det Francis      31 4.82 KC Hoch.         31 4.68 KC That's 10 more that could be considered close to Wake's 5.12 ERA when you consider park fatcor and not facing the Yanks 18 times (except for Tor/Balt who faced NYY and Bos) Cahtwood and Beavin played half their games in big parks and a lot of other road games in Sea, Oak and LAA- other big parks. Factor in pitching half your games in Boston. Out of 87 starters in the AL with more than 10 GS'd ... Go by tERA and Wake (at 5.02) had 23 starters with a worse number than his. (Miller was second worst in the AL at 6.44. Lackey was 10th worst at 5.41.)  Go by SIERA and Wake (at 4.68) had 15 starters worse than him. Miller was 5th worst at 5.15 and Lackey was 25th worst at 4.50. We need better bottom rotation pitching, no doubt. I have been saying it is our top priority all along. I am not saying I want Miller and Wake as our 4/5 starters, but I wouldn't mind a guy like Wake as our 6th starter. Try looking at starter WHIP: Out of the top 96 starters by GS... Miller was   #94 1.80 Lackey was #85 1.62 Wake was  # 54 1.40 Slot the pitchers by groups of 14 (amount of AL teams) 1-14 #1 starters 14-28 #2 29-42 #3 43-56 #4 57-70 #5 71-84 #6 85-98 #7 Wake ranked as a low 4th starter. Lackey a high 7th starter. Miller a low 7th starter.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

As always, well researched.

The issue isn't Wake.  Most teams don't have 6 guys that have a 5.12 or better ERA.  Even without Wake next year, our #6 will probably have ~ a 5.12, as will the NYY, and may other teams.  If they were materially better than 5.12, they'd have a regular gig as a #5.

The problem is the number of starts from the 6-10.  Our 6-7-8-9-10 had 23-12-8-5-4 starts, 52 starts in total.  TB had 14 from their 6-10.  The NYY had 19.  Detroit had 19 and Texas had 5.  Philly 23, Mil 7, StL 33, AZ 30.  I don't know what the answer is, but no one can have 52 starts from their 6-10 and survive.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Above or Below the Norm. : As always, well researched. The issue isn't Wake.  Most teams don't have 6 guys that have a 5.12 or better ERA.  Even without Wake next year, our #6 will probably have ~ a 5.12, as will the NYY, and may other teams.  If they were materially better than 5.12, they'd have a regular gig as a #5. The problem is the number of starts from the 6-10.  Our 6-7-8-9-10 had 23-12-8-5-4 starts, 52 starts in total.  TB had 14 from their 6-10.  The NYY had 19.  Detroit had 19 and Texas had 5.  Philly 23, Mil 7, StL 33, AZ 30.  I don't know what the answer is, but no one can have 52 starts from their 6-10 and survive.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Excellent points joe. Usually the teams who win might have 1 starter down all year, but even then, they usually don't use 9-10 starters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Thread below the norm, propaganda cover thread for Wastefied and Varitek......................................

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Propaganda implies lies or stretching the truth, something you know a lot about. These numbers are hard facts. You refuse to admit the state of AL rotations and wrongly claimed that sub-5.00 ERA pitchers were easy to find.

Your plan was...
    1st to use Doubront while he was on the DL. Even after being told he was on the DL, you kept saying "start Doubront instead of Wake".
    2nd to use Miller in April while he had nearly as many walks in AAA as IP. He didn't do much better when he finally got his shot.
    3rd to use Weiland and some bull about the brawl gam,e messing up his numbers.
    4th to use "Wally" or "find a sub 5.00 pitcher in the minors", like they are verywhere to be plucked as 14 teams used 36 pitchers with ERAs similar or worse than Wake's.

What about your other plan?
    Put and keep CC at leadoff and make Jacoby the 4th OF'er behind Cam and Drew. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

24 starters with a 5.00 ERA in the AL and 7 or more starts:

Burnett    32  5.15
    Carmona 32  5.25
    Penny      31 5.30
    Duensing  28 5.23
    Lackey     28 6.41
    Reyes       25 5.57
    Pineiro    24  5.13
    Wake       23  5.12
    Arrieta     22  5.05 
    Duffy       20  5.64
    Harden    15  5.12
    Hughes    14  5.79
    Drabek     14  6.06
    Tillman    13  5.52
    Davies     13  6.75
    Bergeson 12 5.70
    Miller       12 5.54
    Talbot      12 6.64
    Furbush    12 5.48
    Jimenez   11 5.10
    Stewart    11 5.88
    O'Sullivan 10 7.25
    Slowey      8  7.25
    Diamond   7  5.08

12 more came close to 5.00 ERAs and played in less of a hitter's park and/ or faced lesser offensive teams over the full season:

Dice-K    7  4.95  Bos
    Litsch     9  4.66  Tor
    Coke    14  4.82  Det
    Beavin 15  4.27 Sea
    Simon  16  4.96 Balt
    Cecil    20  4.73 Tor
    Liriano 24  4.84 MN
    Chatwood 25 4.81 LAA
    Morrow     30 4.72 Tor
    Porcello    31 4.75 Det
    Francis      31 4.82 KC
    Hoch.         31 4.68 KC

That's about 36 pitchers on 14 AL teams in 2011 who had a park and opponent's strength adjusted ERA of about 5.00 or more. That's about 2.5 per team out of their top 7 starters by GS'd. 

The 2011 AL playoff teams?
    The Yanks:
    Burnett  33  5.15
    Hughes  17  5.79
    The Tigers:
    Penny    31  5.30
    The Rangers:
    none
    The Rays:
    none

2010 AL Championship Series playoff teams?
    Rangers:
    Feldman  29  5.48
    Harden    18  5.58  
    Yankees:
    Burnett    33  5.26
    Vazquez  31  5.32
    Mosely      9  4.96

2009:
    Yankees:
    Joba    32  4.75
    Wang    9  9.64
    Mitre     9  6.79
    Angels:
    Santana 24  5.03
    O'Sullivan 10  5.92

2008:
    Rays:
    none
    Sox:
    Buchholtz  15  6.75
    P Byrd         8  4,78

2007:
    Sox:
    Tavarez  23  5.15
    Wake      31  4.76
    Indians:
    C. Lee   16  6.29
    Sowers  13  6.42

It would be great to have all 7 starters under a 5.00 ERA, but how realistic is that when we might have just $8M to spend on a Closer, DH, RF'er and 2-3 starters.