2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Abreu about to sign

In response to notin's comment:

$68Mill

Reportedly with the White Sox

how many years? 6? 7?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Most details are not final.  Even the signing team is not official yet...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Figured the WS, Kenny Williams always liked the Cuban players. Even though he is not GM anymore still has a lot of pull. I've seen this guy play the WBC, Red Sox just made a mistake.

Oh well.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Cuban slugger Abreu down to Astros, both Sox

Appears we were in the finals for him.... so if the Medias Blancos deal falls through maybe it will be us.

It´s "medias blancas"

everyone loves his power, but it seems he cant do anything else; on the other hand redsox could play him in 1b and in 2015 he could take over DH

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I feel like the Red Sox are a little busy at the moment w/ trying to win the Pennant and possibly a World Series title and all. So International signings don't follow the same rules like having to wait until the WS is over I take it? If thats the case, that needs to change. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

Another Prince Fielder in the making. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like 6 years...

White Sox To Sign Jose Dariel Abreu By  Charlie Wilmoth [October 17 at 10:06pm CST]

The White Sox will sign Cuban first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu for six years and $68MM, MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports (on Twitter). The deal is pending a physical. Abreu is represented by Praver Shapiro Sports Management.

The Red Sox, Astros, Rangers, Marlins and Giants all reportedly showed interest in Abreu. The White Sox, however, were able to lure him with a contract that's the biggest ever for an international free agent. The contract easily tops the seven-year, $42MM contract Yasiel Puig received from the Dodgers last year.

Abreu, 26, posted video-game-like numbers in Cuba's Serie Nacional, and his power is very highly regarded. Athletics assistant GM David Forst, for example, favorably compared Abreu toRyan Howard. Some experts have had concerns about Abreu's bat speed, however, and many have been critical of his athleticism and defense. Tim Dierkes' free agent profilepredicted Abreu would get six years and $54MM.

In the short term, the signing should help the White Sox generate fan excitement after a miserable 99-loss season in 2013. Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn shared the first base position for the White Sox last season, and both struggled. Konerko is now a free agent, and it's unclear whether he will return next year. If he does, he could get at bats at designated hitter. The White Sox still owe Dunn $15MM for 2014.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal originally reported (also via Twitter) that Abreu would sign for six years and $68MM, and that the White Sox were the likely team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Figured the WS, Kenny Williams always liked the Cuban players. Even though he is not GM anymore still has a lot of pull. I've seen this guy play the WBC, Red Sox just made a mistake.

Oh well.

Williams is the boss of GM Rick Hahn.  And he definitely has a thing for Cuban players. 

Jose Contreras, Orlando Hernsndez, Alexei Ramirez, Dayan Viciedo.  He had to be all over Abreu

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It looks like they were in a huge hurry to sign. Were the Redsox going to sign him and upset Napoli during the playoffs? I don't think so. It's too bad we let this one pass. I think we would have benefited from his RH bat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Red Sox should have told Abreau's reps that they would like to wait until the post season is over before going in hard for him.   If another 12-14 milion over the life of the deal is a hang up I would think they would make most of that up in merchandise sales if indeed he is the real deal.    He may need to spend a few months in AAA before the bigs as well.    If the Sox want Naps around next year he would likely play some first and platoon with Ortiz at DH.

Until the pen has been put to paper there is still a chance.

Sections
Shortcuts