ACEVES AS CLOSER????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

ACEVES AS CLOSER????

YES, CLOSER. Aceves has done short relief, long relief and starting however I think his greatest benefit to the Sox would be as a closer in place of Pap.

Aceves has all the pitches-- more than Pap. He can throw all pitches for strikes. With his arm he would be capable of pitching more than one inning. He can hold runners. He is a fast worker and with the exception of one game doesn't have a problem with his control.

I think if the new manager talks with him about closing and he has time to prepare for this new assignment he would be very successful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Re: ACEVES AS CLOSER????

In Response to ACEVES AS CLOSER????:
    YES, CLOSER. Aceves has done short relief, long relief and starting however I think his greatest benefit to the Sox would be as a closer in place of Pap. Aceves has all the pitches-- more than Pap. He can throw all pitches for strikes. With his arm he would be capable of pitching more than one inning. He can hold runners. He is a fast worker and with the exception of one game doesn't have a problem with his control. I think if the new manager talks with him about closing and he has time to prepare for this new assignment he would be very successful.
    Posted by MadMc44

Why not? Paps seems to have that me first mentality that proved to be a problem, can't win with him so, goodbye.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

In Response to Re: ACEVES AS CLOSER????:
    In Response to ACEVES AS CLOSER???? :  Why not? Paps seems to have that me first mentality that proved to be a problem, can't win with him so, goodbye.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

Paps was and will always be him before the team.That my friends will NEVER EVER CHANGE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Anytime you can have a pitcher that can pitch multiple innings, he's either a long reliever or in the starting rotation.   If and when Papelbon leaves to test free agency, the Sox need to spend the money and get a proven closer such as Heath Bell.
    The ticket and concession prices will be increased to allow for it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

ODC if the Sox would let Pap go and sign Bell I'm good to go with that decision. I'm not good with Pap continuing as the Sox closer. He had roughly 30 saves this year we missed the playoffs, we missed the playoffs last year. I would love to see who the Sox starters would like to see as the next Sox closer from players that are available. They might all say Pap. I have seen enough of the 9 th inning tightrope walking of Pap.

He is not heir apparent to Mariano--if the Yankees sign him I would be thrilled.
    That would leave the Yankees with three closers on their roster exceeding $40 M in payroll.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

the guy has some "heart attack" element to his game so he'd be perfect for the sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Anytime you can have a pitcher that can pitch multiple innings, he's either a long reliever or in the starting rotation.   If and when Papelbon leaves to test free agency, the Sox need to spend the money and get a proven closer such as Heath Bell. The ticket and concession prices will be increased to allow for it.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle

I agree, Aceves would be more important as our fifth or sixth starter and middle relief.  Again though, signing a guy like Heath Bell who has also never played under any great pressure may not work either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

ODC if the Sox would let Pap go and sign Bell I'm good to go with that decision. I'm not good with Pap continuing as the Sox closer. He had roughly 30 saves this year we missed the playoffs, we missed the playoffs last year. I would love to see who the Sox starters would like to see as the next Sox closer from players that are available. They might all say Pap. I have seen enough of the 9 th inning tightrope walking of Pap. He is not heir apparent to Mariano--if the Yankees sign him I would be thrilled. That would leave the Yankees with three closers on their roster exceeding $40 M in payroll.
    Posted by MadMc44

It takes a certain mentality to be a successful closer...Paps has it and is second only to Mo over the past 5 years in the AL...he is almost a must sign. Unfortunately he will probably walk...thought not to the Yankees. Mo is still good for a few more years at the rate he is going...wouldn't make sense for them to sign him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So this team needs Aceves to be the closer and to eb a starting pitcher?  Are there any other rioles we can throw at him?  How about he also be the manager, designated hitter, third base coach, third baseman, third string catcher, and beer vendor?

And he has to do all this without giving up his set up job...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

So this team needs Aceves to be the closer and to eb a starting pitcher?  Are there any other rioles we can throw at him?  How about he also be the manager, designated hitter, third base coach, third baseman, third string catcher, and beer vendor? And he has to do all this without giving up his set up job...
    Posted by notin

Can he be a right handed bat for right field on his off days?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to ACEVES AS CLOSER???? :  Why not? Paps seems to have that me first mentality that proved to be a problem, can't win with him so, goodbye.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

People have said Paps became a leader this year and were really impressed with him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

"even if teams  still get picks for loosing relievers at the time "

How exactly do you "loose" a reliever?  is he too tight and you get him loose?  WD 40?  Grease?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Aceves has been great all year long for us.  He's may be our most valueable pitcher of this year.  However, Aveces in the 9th inning for closer role isn;t quite good idea.  Yes you're correct that Aceves throws many different pitches.  He has great change-up, greater curve, slider, two seam fast... He has numerous great pitches that he can throw strike with.  However, Aceves is not a power dominating pitcher on the mound.  He does not have 96-97 fastball.  He's not a striking out pitcher.  He gets himself in the trouble alot even though he gets out of it by himself often.  No one wants to flirt with getting in the jam in the top of the 9th.   Aveces is most valueable to RS as long relief.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: ACEVES AS CLOSER???? : I agree, Aceves would be more important as our fifth or sixth starter and middle relief.  Again though, signing a guy like Heath Bell who has also never played under any great pressure may not work either.
    Posted by craze4sox

I also agree that Aceves is perfect in his current role, unless they make him a starter.  I still believe that resigning Papelbon has to be a priority for the Red Sox for next season. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

If Papelbon is a "must sign" then John Henry will counter with here's how much I'm willing to spend.    If they can't agree then Papelbon will be wearing another uniform.      His window of opportunity to make big money is now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Pap has only had perhaps a dozen games where he has set the side down in order.
    Most of his appearances are nailbiters and I think now's the time to go in a different direction. $12-14 M or more is a lot of money unless your closer's name is Mariano.

I'm sure there is a place some of our Sabrematic Statistians can go to get the exact number. I would be surprised if it's more than a  dozen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's not like Papelbon isn't an adventure out there even with a tremendous fastball. I proposed Aceves as closer, over Bard, a week or 2 ago here and it didn't seem to attract any supporters but I think it is a solid idea. You don't have to have shut down stuff to be a closer. He's cheap, tough as nails and can be used every day if necessary or for multiple innings. In many ways he might be a better closer option than Papelbon or Bard IMO.

Here is why I think we should let Papelbon walk if he costs too much:

1) We get 2 top picks if we offer Papelbon arbitration and he leaves. He would almost definitely decline arb IMO. Those picks are worth close to $8-10 mil by themselves.

2) We save $12-14 mil in the budget, which could be used for other purposes, for example in picking up a quality starter like Buerhle.

3) Papelbon is primarily a fastball pitcher. As he ages, unless he comes up with something better to supplement his offerings, he is going to not be as effective IMO. I think he'd probably be fine over a 3-4 year deal though.

4) We have potentially 3 other guys who can close. Bard, Aceves or Jenks. All under contract effectively at much lower rates.

*** All that said, who among us doesn't want a proven closer like Papelbon back. I love the guy! I don't think my wife will keep watching the games with me if he's gone! The guy has been money for Boston for a long time now. Proven in the play offs. What is not to like about him overall. He's a solid big market closer, proven in the playoffs. I think we are going to make a good offer to him but if he goes over it, he walks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Aceves should start.   He is good enough to be the 3rd starter, ahead of Beckett-belly and Lackluster.    It did not work using him in long relief, the pitching was a FAILURE.   Time to give him the starters role, say good-bye to Wake, and pick up another starter to do what Lackluster should have been doing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

I see Aceves as a 5th/6th starter and long-relief man.  We should sign Paps for whatever is "reasonable".  Failing that, go after a proven closer - Bard's not yet the answer and may never be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I think he could do it but I feel he's more valuable in long relief. This would be a nice backup plan for next year though.

Sections
Shortcuts