ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: ACEVES ??? As DAD would say............

In response to stan17's comment:

Aceves is a buffoon but if he pitches well and Farrell can put up with him he stays. I think if the manager had wanted him gone before spring training he would've already been sent packing.   

I agree, the guy has talent

so I can C ferrell  wanting to wait to C

if it was a mostly valentine thing last yr or not

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

aceves to throw underhand today

+1

If Farrell and Nieves want to break the ice a little, they should ask AA to do exactly that, and not even tell anyone else, just to see the expressions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Thanks MOON, your making my point......  They got rid of O-Cab right away and eventually the MAN-CHILD-FRAUD- too !!!   And Aceves is never to be confused with the MAN-CHILD !!!!

OCab was a FA.  He left of his own accord.  They were so upset with Manny, they waited until they won 2 WSCs with him, and 7.67 years of an 8-year contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope the Red Sox can relax more and have more fun out there.  Last year, they looked too stressed out and intense.  

Look at the 2012 Oakland A's, you can tell that they enjoyed each other's company and wanted to have fun out there.  

Send Robin Williams or Kevin Millar to help loosen up the clubhouse.   LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Aceves is a buffoon but if he pitches well and Farrell can put up with him he stays. I think if the manager had wanted him gone before spring training he would've already been sent packing.   

I agree, the guy has talent

so I can C ferrell  wanting to wait to C

if it was a mostly valentine thing last yr or not

Yup, I think you have to start with the assumption that Valentine had a hand in everything that went wrong.  Which is not to say that AA didn't contribute to the problem.  The fans don't always hear what happens in the clubhouse, but he spent 4 years with the NYY and RS, pitched exceptionally, and I don't remember any issues in NY or Boston in those four years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Thanks MOON, your making my point......  They got rid of O-Cab right away and eventually the MAN-CHILD-FRAUD- too !!!   And Aceves is never to be confused with the MAN-CHILD !!!!

OCab was a FA.  He left of his own accord.  They were so upset with Manny, they waited until they won 2 WSCs with him, and 7.67 years of an 8-year contract.

Joe, lets revisit that/this........  Yes O'Cab was a free agent, howevaa, the Sox were not going to offer him a contract as he & MAN-CHILD had a great time during the 2004 run of bringing a form of "HIGHER EDUCATION" to the night-life @ B U and other institutions......  All swept/ignored by the Red Sox & sports writers.....  Yes, Manny remained as his running mate was seperated.... Could have gotten ugly, and in the end with Manny, "ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH" !!!!!  And that is how it went down.....As DAD would say....... "SON, the rest is history"  !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Aceves should have been starting last year instead of Bard. Not that this is an excuse for misbehavior, but one has to wonder how many things would have gone differently had the Bard-to-the-rotation chain reaction of fail never taken place.

As for the current incident with Aceves, Farrell seems to have a handle on the situation...I suspect this is much ado about nothing and will be forgotten in a week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My point is that we and many other teams have won with "nutcases" onboard. 

Yes, we traded Manny eventually, and we haven't won since.

I'm not saying that improving the clubhouse culture and on-the-field attitude are meaningless, but I think some posters here are bringing that position to an extreme.

Kum-bay-ya is not a be-all-end-all goal and does not win ball games.

Some of the stars of our rings had some serious issues such as Manny (too many to list), OCab (messing with teammates wives), Lowe (booze), Foulke (no love for the game), Millar (many thought was too clownish), Youk (temper tantrums), and more...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not saying that improving the clubhouse culture and on-the-field attitude are meaningless, but I think some posters here are bringing that position to an extreme.

Some of the stars of our rings had some serious issues such as Manny (too many to list), OCab (messing with teammates wives), Lowe (booze), Foulke (no love for the game), Millar (many thought was too clownish), Youk (temper tantrums), and more...

Right MOON....  But this one is easy......  Aceves and his track/history record is well documented.....  Time to move on and try & salvage VALUE if you can !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Slomag, I'm with you.  The papers made it a big thing, but when I watched it on video, it looked like nothing, and he did quicly juice it up when they talked to him, exactly like he hadn't understood.  He could be a big help to the team with his skill set.  Also, I think he loves baseball even if he isn't wrapped too tight.  The coaches ought to be able to work with him.  If he repeatedly refuses to get on board, then they can get rid of him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

O Cabrera was messing with his teammate's wives?  That is so messed up.  

Didn't Shannon Brown hit on Gasol's wife?  

Why can't they just hit on other single women?  Why go after a teammate's wife?  

MLB should place a 100-game suspension on any player that hits on a teammate's wife.  LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

MLB should place a 100-game suspension on any player that hits on a teammate's wife.  LOL

have you seen some of the players wives?? i don't blame him lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Right MOON....  But this one is easy......  Aceves and his track/history record is well documented.....  Time to move on and try & salvage VALUE if you can !!!

His "track record" is one of being one of the premiere mid/long relief men of the past 5 years.

Much of the rest is media hype.

His value to us is much more than we'd get in trade after last year's failed closer experiment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

My first thought after reading the article on Aceves was that he just didn't want to tax his arm before playing for Mexico in WBC.  He's pretty excited about that.  I changed my mind about him several times last year and ended on a fairly sour note.  Will wait till it counts to judge him this year..he may have a much better attitude...no sense piling on him or Doubront at this point over ST snippets from all-knowing sideline managers often referred to as sports writers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

have you seen some of the players wives?? i don't blame him lol

Hey mef429  :)

I understand that many of the wives are smoking hot (especially Edgar Renteria's).  

But Cabrera can get any hot single woman.  Cabrera can pull a Wilt Chamberlain and sleep with 10,000 of them (as long as they are single).  LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It's Valentine's fault!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

"SON, that boy is a nut-case, he won't be here much longer" !!!!!   Ben should look to move him soooooner, rather than later.........   Maybe part of a "BLOCKBUSTER" as we certainly have the depth in the pen !!!

get rid of this guy...now! he will never be happy and will always be a problem as long as he is not a starter

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Okay Bill, here is your chance.

Research the internet and find out how many articles you can access that shows his issues are well-documented, prior to Valentine.

I'm from NY and read every article about the NYY players, and pretty much remember every single negative article like, for example, Phil Hughes being sent to the fat farm, or Giambi hitting 63 HRs over a 162 game period, and NYY fans denying his PED use.

I do not remember one single negative article about Aceves, other than him having the bicycle accident which, to me, is not an issue.

So, since his history is well-documented, post maybe 3-4 articles describing 3-4 separate incidences.

Or admit that you are lying.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Of course.  The NYY team of the '70s had plenty of issues.  The great Oakland As teams had plenty of issues.  On some of the great Raiders' teams, they were dragging guys out of the bar the week before the SB.

I assume that most athletes become so because they live life on obsession's edge.  They are not your typical 9-5 c'est la vie types.  The RS should not have to put up with someone always out of control, but if we got rid of everyone that occasionally had a bad day, there'd be no one left.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Of course.  The NYY team of the '70s had plenty of issues.  The great Oakland As teams had plenty of issues.  On some of the great Raiders' teams, they were dragging guys out of the bar the week before the SB.

I assume that most athletes become so because they live life on obsession's edge.  They are not your typical 9-5 c'est la vie types.  The RS should not have to put up with someone always out of control, but if we got rid of everyone that occasionally had a bad day, there'd be no one left.

Well put.

I do remember reading something about the Yanks being upset with Aceves' desire to return from his injury (or the pace of his recovery), and that is why they did not bring him back.'

There was a flare up last season, but a lot went down last year both for the team and Aceves. I'm thinking the rest is mostly media hype. As of now, I do not see him as being a distraction, a menace, of a negative to this team. He's got 2 years of team control left. I would not trade him now just to get rid of him and his attitude. Chances are we would not get back what he is worth, but I'm always open to listening to any offers for anybody. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We could hire Manny as a 'nutjob consultant'. :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I do remember reading something about the Yanks being upset with Aceves' desire to return from his injury (or the pace of his recovery), and that is why they did not bring him back.'

My recollection is that they didn't want to give him a major league contract because they thought it would take too long to recover from his back injury.

But, of course, if Bill wants to show us all the well-documented issues that Aceves had with the NYY, that I never saw, even though I come from NY, then go ahead Bill.

And if he doesn't, I will continue to accuse him of lying.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My recollection is that they didn't want to give him a major league contract because they thought it would take too long to recover from his back injury.

But, of course, if Bill wants to show us all the well-documented issues that Aceves had with the NYY, that I never saw, even though I come from NY, then go ahead Bill.

Somehow, I do not think we will ever see those documents.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Somehow, I do not think we will ever see those documents.

Bill, are you going to let Moonslav insult you like that?  Claiming that you don't have the documents?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

It's Valentine's fault!

When you're right you're right...

Sections
Shortcuts